'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Replacing an axle

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-09-12 10:03 PM
8 replies, 13307 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

appellativo
Reg. Sep 2012
Posted 2012-09-10 5:16 PM (#146924)
Subject: Replacing an axle

New User

I have a 2010 CM Dakota two horse slant torsion axle trailer (I bought brand new from a dealer for $5600 with mats installed). A few months after I got it, (it was parked on the side of a boarding barn where others park their trailers, sort of close together) I noticed a dent in the rear axle 'passenger's side' hub. I thought it was merely cosmetic and I didn't know how it got there, I know I didn't run into anything and nobody was forthcoming, so I just thought 'oh well.' About a year after that, I noticed the tires were wearing funny (down to the metal) and took it in to have it checked out. The local trailer shop says it has a broken rear axle and it needs replaced, and also that the front axle needs work (which I don't doubt the bearings need repacking) and also needs new brakes.

What I'm wondering is if the damage done to the rear hub could have broken the axle, if anybody has an opinion on that.

Also, my husband is a mechanic (only has ever worked on Toyotas) and I am assuming he should be able to replace the axle, and if so, is there anything special he needs to know about replacing torsion axles.

The trailer's loan balance is $3,497. I've been more or less satisfied with the actual trailer's performance, but the repairs are a bummer. Is this par for the course or does it sound like there's something wrong with this trailer that it already has a broken axle?? Should I trade it in toward a better quality trailer or just same make and model because I got a dud?

Thanks for any input. I have a pic of the hub, I'll see if I can get it posted.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
appellativo
Reg. Sep 2012
Posted 2012-09-10 5:31 PM (#146925 - in reply to #146924)
Subject: RE: Replacing an axle

New User

I should add that I've hauled in it an average of 0-1 times per month, drive very slowly and carefully and have never overloaded the trailer (my horse weighs 950 lbs soaking wet and my friends' horses arent heavier than 1200 at the most, and I've never had three horses in it, oh! Except once! we hauled two miles up the road at 35 mph to a trailhead and back. Would that have done it?? Otherwise I can't think of anything else. :(
appellativo
Reg. Sep 2012
Posted 2012-09-10 5:53 PM (#146926 - in reply to #146924)

New User

Nevermind, I just talked to the friend that went with me on that trip and it was HER trailer that we put the three horses in. So mine always was hauled with two.
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2012-09-11 12:37 PM (#146938 - in reply to #146924)

Expert

Welcome to the forum ...

The answer to your question is ... Depends...

1. Depends on what broke in the axle...

2. Depends on what and direction of the force that damaged your hub.

3. Depends on perhaps you hit a curb without realizing it.  I have hit a curb and knew about it only after seeing the scuff mark on the tire.

4. Could also be a manufacturing defect but that relates to answer #1

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2012-09-11 9:41 PM (#146946 - in reply to #146924)

Expert

Axles are somewhat fragile.  Hit something wrong,  ( a curb, a pothole, debris on the road) and you can bend an axle.  It is rare, But it can happen.

The biggest problem with installing a new axle is getting it lined up correctly so it is in alignment with the other axle and the trailer. If you husband has access to the proper tools to do an alignment, He should be able to do the job just fine.

ND COWBOY
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2012-09-12 8:43 AM (#146947 - in reply to #146924)

Veteran

painted horse. What kind of special tools are required??
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2012-09-12 4:18 PM (#146970 - in reply to #146924)

Expert

Some type of alignment tools to line up the axle correctly with the other axle and the trailer.

Most axles are either welded or bolted on, So the physical change out is nothing too complex. But if you don't get the axle on straight, a 1/4" out and you will eat tires every 100 miles.

conner
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2012-09-12 6:55 PM (#146971 - in reply to #146924)

I think you axle is a #3500 lb Dexter, 22 1/2 degree up, welded on. My advice, take that thing to a reputable dealer / repair shop and get it done right. Cutting that thing out, grinding down the frame and resetting the axle mounts is not for beginners. A Plasma Cutter, which the repair shop should have, is a 100 times better than a torch. Good luck.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2012-09-12 10:03 PM (#146972 - in reply to #146924)

Expert

Originally written by appellativo on 2012-09-10 5:16 PMI have a 2010 CM Dakota two horse slant torsion axle trailer (I bought brand new from a dealer for $5600 with mats installed). A few months after I got it, (it was parked on the side of a boarding barn where others park their trailers, sort of close together) I noticed a dent in the rear axle 'passenger's side' hub. I thought it was merely cosmetic and I didn't know how it got there, I know I didn't run into anything and nobody was forthcoming, so I just thought 'oh well.' About a year after that, I noticed the tires were wearing funny (down to the metal) and took it in to have it checked out. The local trailer shop says it has a broken rear axle and it needs replaced, and also that the front axle needs work (which I don't doubt the bearings need repacking) and also needs new brakes. What I'm wondering is if the damage done to the rear hub could have broken the axle, if anybody has an opinion on that. Also, my husband is a mechanic (only has ever worked on Toyotas) and I am assuming he should be able to replace the axle, and if so, is there anything special he needs to know about replacing torsion axles. The trailer's loan balance is $3,497. I've been more or less satisfied with the actual trailer's performance, but the repairs are a bummer. Is this par for the course or does it sound like there's something wrong with this trailer that it already has a broken axle?? Should I trade it in toward a better quality trailer or just same make and model because I got a dud? Thanks for any input. I have a pic of the hub, I'll see if I can get it posted.
Picture of where the axle is broken would be informative as to possible causes...like has been stated previously...hire out the axle replacement so it is done right and aligned properly...I take it it is not as obvious as this one... http://www.mcclaintrailers.com/parts/pic/axle_broken.jpg

Edited by PaulChristenson 2012-09-12 10:05 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)