'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Stall Floor

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-09-02 10:18 AM
2 replies, 4330 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

tim62988
Reg. Aug 2012
Posted 2012-08-29 2:17 PM (#146701)
Subject: Stall Floor

when my wife's family bought their neighbor's place it had a small horse barn with it.

2 stalls have wooden floors and the 3rd stall which was added later has concrete.

the one stall is going down hill quickly.  I had to patch it up a bit last year but decided it's time to either do a better job or restart.  Can't exacly rip up the floor boards since whoever built it was nice enough to put the walls over the ends of the floor boards!  grrr

So should I just use some sand to level things out and then put mats over? take a circular saw and cut out the old floor then just go with more mats?

also I'm not a huge fan of the wife's pony being on concrete.  I just picked up some nice thick but soft mats today but would there be anything wrong with going with a few inches of sand then the mats?  and a bit of sawdust on the mats?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2012-08-31 8:04 PM (#146739 - in reply to #146701)
Subject: RE: Stall Floor

Extreme Veteran

I have concrete with rubber mats in my stalls. I would not have anything else if I could help it. No holes, no mess, easy to clean. The horses have had no issues either and I've had my barn for over 10 years. I would not put the sand in between the mats. The sand will work its way up and the mats will be uneven. It's really no different than having a clay floor. Clay is very hard. The mats really make it work.

Edited by randemtam 2012-08-31 8:05 PM
Are we there yet
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2012-09-02 10:18 AM (#146760 - in reply to #146701)
Subject: RE: Stall Floor

If I was in your situation, I'd get out my circular saw and go to work. The wood floors are not going to get any better, even if you do put down mats on top. Then I'd put crusher run over the dirt and tamp it down. You can rent a tamper from just about any place.Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. Tamp it down real good, then tamp it again. Lay your mats down making sure you cut (saws all..sp?) the mats to fit the stall. We used to use sawdust in our stalls on top of the mats, but found that bedding pellets are far better for soaking up the urine.
Good luck!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)