'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Riding on Pa state game lands

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-02-05 10:14 PM
6 replies, 9587 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Ncatanz
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2012-01-10 9:39 AM (#139931)
Subject: Riding on Pa state game lands

Veteran

Does anyone ride on the PA state game lands.  I have tried to read up on the rules but they are a little vague.  I think I am ok with I ride on the out skirts of the fields and don't ruin any crops,  which goes with out saying.

Do you know of anyone who has even had any trouble with the game commission riding on the game lands?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
keystonefoxtrotters
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2012-01-10 7:38 PM (#139945 - in reply to #139931)
Subject: RE: Riding on Pa state game lands

I live in western PA.  There is NO riding allowed on SGL.  Tragedy, I know.
keystonefoxtrotters
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2012-01-10 7:41 PM (#139946 - in reply to #139945)

This is on the DCNR site:

"What activities are not permitted on State Game Lands?
Game lands provide many recreational opportunities, but there are limitations on what you may do on these properties. Legal hunting and trapping are common pursuits; in fact they're encouraged. Other authorized activities, so long as they don't damage property or habitat, include hiking, berry-picking, photography, fishing and canoeing. Mountain bike and horseback riding are permitted on designated routes during certain periods. Illegal activities include: camping (except along the Appalachian Trail for through hikers), swimming, tree-cutting, driving motorized vehicles on roads or trails, and motorized boating (electric motors are permitted on Shohola Lake). "

Ncatanz
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2012-01-12 11:57 AM (#139994 - in reply to #139931)

Veteran

Keystone,  sorry but I do not think you are correct on this,  did you read it somewhere?
Ncatanz
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2012-01-12 12:07 PM (#139995 - in reply to #139931)

Veteran

Here,  I found something more specific. 

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/state_game_lands/11363

DESIGNATED ROUTES for Horses and Bicycles
For each region, there is a list of designated routes. These route designations, which total more than 1,000 miles, are in compliance with State Game Lands use regulations that went into effect on February 1, 2003. Under the new regulations, anyone who rides a non-motorized vehicle, conveyance or animal on State Game Lands must do so only on designated routes. Such riding activities will not be permitted, except on Sundays or on roads open to public travel, from the last Saturday in September to the third Saturday in January, and after 1 p.m. from the second Saturday in April to the last Saturday in May. This does not apply to anyone lawfully engaged in hunting, trapping or fishing on State Game Lands.

mchew
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2012-01-13 11:52 AM (#140010 - in reply to #139931)

riding is permitted on designated trails on PA state Gamelands. You need to stay on the desigated trail - will have a green triangle that will have a horse, and I think a bike. you would not be allowed to ride thru the fields, that would be leaving the trail. Sometimes you will see the red "no horses" sign, but if you don't see a green trianlge sign on the trail, then it's not open for riding. Other rule of thumb is they are closed Monday-Friday once the first deer season comes in, in the fall, I think Oct something, I think they are only open on Sundays until after spring gobler, maybe April? Just an FYI, they will ticket you if you get caught riding in a closed area. If you are parked in an area that is closed, they will ticket your truck assuming that you are riding in an unauthorized area. I know - I got a ticket that way. And the killer was, the area was open but the Game Warden didn't think that it was, he never checked. so after three calls into the regional office he finally called back to apologize and advise he removed the ticket from my record. He just pulled into the parking lot, saw the truck and horse trailer and left a ticket on my windshield.
Rockin_horse72
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2012-02-05 10:14 PM (#140573 - in reply to #139931)

Veteran

This is great info!! We have a farm near Hegins PA that is bordered by SGL and I have been trying to find out if I could ride on it. Well... I can't... but I have found a couple other places that aren't to far to travel to!! Thanks again for all the info!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)