'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
SilverLite, Exiss, Featherlite, other aluminum trailers...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-07-07 11:43 PM
14 replies, 19473 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Safet
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2009-07-01 5:38 PM (#107443)
Subject: SilverLite, Exiss, Featherlite, other aluminum trailers...

Veteran

I do not own nor do I have particular models picked out yet, but I am seeking opinions on aluminum trailers that can generally be found in the NW.  I can say I'm looking toward gooseneck, up to 4 horse and prefer 7'6" interior height. 

There is a SilverLite plant in Oregon, but I see they have steel as part of the construction.  What is the plus/minus of such construction? 

I also see Exiss and FeatherLites for sale in this area.  How do Keiffers and Logans compare?  Are some of those all aluminum construction?  Which one is safer between the SilverLite, Exiss, Featherlite, Keiffer and Logan and why?

Do all horse trailers have shocks on them (is this what torsion axles are designed to do?)?  I ask this because I read about them on the Brenderup review.

I'm trying to narrow down my search and understand the strong and weak points of each trailer manufacturer near my area (the NW).  Does the year of construction matter or is horse trailer construction pretty consistent between horse trailer model years?

What is the general weight difference between an aluminum and steel trailer?  How well do steel trailers resist rust now-a-days?

Thank you for your time.

Edited by Safet 2009-07-01 5:43 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2009-07-01 10:36 PM (#107457 - in reply to #107443)
Subject: RE: SilverLite, Exiss, Featherlite, other aluminum trailers...

Elite Veteran

You have asked a mouth full. I will comment on some. Featherlite and Kiefer both build steel models, but their main business is all aluminum. The Kiefer 8' wide Genesis is standard 7'6" high.

Which is safer? Who knows, everybody has an opinion. Just look at the Kiefer or Sundowner thread.

Yes the torsion axles are shock absorbers.

As far as differences between years, I can only comment on personal experience. 2000 and 2001 Kiefers did have a problem with their doors because of the change in treated plywoods. The new stuff eats metal. A lot of people, including the wood distributors were caught off guard by this.

Spend some time visiting each manufacturers web sites. Go visit dealers, go to shows, trail heads, campgrounds, where ever horse people gather. Look at trailers. Talk to those that own them, they are usually willing to tell you the good and sometimes the bad about their trailers.

The main thing is find the trailer that works for you. We all have different wants and needs as well as price limits.

Good luck!

Edited by genebob 2009-07-01 10:37 PM

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-07-01 10:55 PM (#107458 - in reply to #107443)

Expert

There are ass many opinions as there are people on this websites.

They are all good mid range trailers.  I looked at Exiss, Featherlite and Kiefer and I bought a Logan.  Would one of the previous have worked for me?  Absolutley, but I so some features that I liked on the Logan, so I bought the Logan. Not that I felt they were better built, or had a better warranty, it was just simple convienence items, ( Like jailbird dividers, a built in jiffy jack,  drop windows on both head and curb, built in window screens etc)  There is a review on this website of Logan.  Since the reiview they have since been bought out by Titan Trailers this past March. Titan says they will keep Logan as it's own brand and use the same designs. You will have to decide if you believe that and what their future holds.

I've had all aluminum trailers and the Logan is a steel frame with an aluminum skin. Unless you are paying for a premium trailer, I'm not sure there is enough difference between the two designs. Some folks talk about salt causing steel to rust. I live by the Great Salt Lake and Utah doesn't sand the roads in the winter They Salt the roads because of the abundance of salt. And I have not rust problems on the new Logan models that have the aluminum skin with steel frame.  Maybe if I kept my trailer 20-25 years I might.  But I'm not seeing problems on mine or other 4-5 year old trailers.

Look at each of the brands. Decide what features  you must have, what features would be nice and what feature you don't care for.  Tally up your list and go shopping for that trailer. I personally like a 7'6" tall trailer. But I sleep in the gooseneck bunk a lot.  I would like an 8 foot trailer, But the Logan 7'3" wide has been better than most of the 6'9 to 6'11" other trailers I looked at.  Look at  interior, load, & tack room lights.  Look at the doors, the hinges, the latch mechanisms, and how they hold the doors open.  Is there is a built in screen door on the Dressing Room. What is the floor made of inside the horse compartment. I like Rumber, but the Logans used Aluminum Planks coated in a special rubber product called Vortex. Kind of a Bedliner product.  It has held up well in my trailer.

Have fun shopping, Buy one you can afford, and buy one you are proud to pull behind you.

Safet
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2009-07-04 10:16 AM (#107510 - in reply to #107443)

Veteran

Is there anything to look out for when looking at a trailer that combines steel and aluminum such as the Silverlite? 

When a trailer manufacturer says "all aluminum," does that mean 100% aluminum or do all manufacturers have some steel?

I will print out specs from different manufacturers for comparison.  What I think I really need to find out is what the basic trailer is for each manufacturer I'm considering, then figure out what's an "upgrade." 

Thanks for any input.

ride the shocker
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-07-04 1:51 PM (#107514 - in reply to #107443)

I can only speak from y experience i just bought a 2006 3 horse  exiss all alumiimum with LQ. The only thing i don't like is the bed i am 5'3'' and we won't go there on my weight but i can't get into it. My husband had to build a step. I wish it had a drawer. The main complaint it that when the bed is down and the kid is asleep you can't open the bathroom door. Other than that i love my exiss, I have seen some negative stuff but i love mine money was a BIG isssue. We paid 24,900 for it and it hadn't been used much. I do know mine weighs 10.800 empty. Other than that i plan on keeping mine the 15 years it will take to pay it off > Good luck. I would stay with aluminum but that;s my personal preferance.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2009-07-04 2:21 PM (#107516 - in reply to #107443)

Expert

Also, bear in mind that one manufacturer 's premium line is usually better than their more economy line,  so sometimes when looking trailers, make certain you see both types before passing judgement on a manufacturer.

We have a Sundowner bp, CM gn, and Exiss with LQ.  All have been super trailers and serve their purposes very well.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2009-07-05 10:25 PM (#107580 - in reply to #107514)

Expert

Originally written by ride the shocker on 2009-07-04 1:51 PM

I can only speak from y experience i just bought a 2006 3 horse  exiss all alumiimum with LQ. The only thing i don't like is the bed i am 5'3'' and we won't go there on my weight but i can't get into it. My husband had to build a step. I wish it had a drawer. The main complaint it that when the bed is down and the kid is asleep you can't open the bathroom door. Other than that i love my exiss, I have seen some negative stuff but i love mine money was a BIG isssue. We paid 24,900 for it and it hadn't been used much. I do know mine weighs 10.800 empty. Other than that i plan on keeping mine the 15 years it will take to pay it off > Good luck. I would stay with aluminum but that;s my personal preferance.

Most of the things mentioned are good points,but,are really the design of the conversion company,not the actual trailer manufacturer.

Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-07-06 8:14 AM (#107594 - in reply to #107510)

Originally written by Safet on 2009-07-04 10:16 AM

Is there anything to look out for when looking at a trailer that combines steel and aluminum such as the Silverlite? 

When a trailer manufacturer says "all aluminum," does that mean 100% aluminum or do all manufacturers have some steel?

I will print out specs from different manufacturers for comparison.  What I think I really need to find out is what the basic trailer is for each manufacturer I'm considering, then figure out what's an "upgrade." 

Thanks for any input.

Most of your trailer manufacturers that state "all aluminum" will have a certain amount of steel in them. Most will have a steel frame in the coupler are, and a steel frame in the axle area. Amount of steel will vary with manufacturers.

Keep in mind when looking at each "basic" model, not all will be the same with the standard equipment. The best route to take is figure out exactly what equipment is important for you and have the trailers priced accordingly. That way you are comparing apples to apples.

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-07-06 8:43 AM (#107595 - in reply to #107443)

Expert

EBY, Jamco, 4-Star.
Accept nothing less, anything else IS less, with the possible exception of Pegasus and Dream Coach.
Don't mess with the aluminum skin over steel frame ones, it requires a near perfect manufacturing process.
They fix it, they change it, they fix it, they change it, they go between sticky tape, mylar film, epoxy coatings(paint), the problem persists
as soon as the barrier is broken and in manufacture the barrier IS broken.

IMAO, etc.
horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2009-07-06 9:15 AM (#107600 - in reply to #107595)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by Reg on 2009-07-06 8:43 AM

EBY, Jamco, 4-Star.
Accept nothing less, anything else IS less, with the possible exception of Pegasus and Dream Coach.
Don't mess with the aluminum skin over steel frame ones, it requires a near perfect manufacturing process.
They fix it, they change it, they fix it, they change it, they go between sticky tape, mylar film, epoxy coatings(paint), the problem persists
as soon as the barrier is broken and in manufacture the barrier IS broken.

IMAO, etc.

Reg- Good to see you again!

Now- Don't forget about the close ones- Elite, C&C (rest their soul) and maybe Platinum. Too much like 4 Star or better. Especially Elite.

Edited by horsey1 2009-07-06 9:21 AM
Safet
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2009-07-07 12:15 AM (#107636 - in reply to #107443)

Veteran

Thank you for the advice and for the information.

In the Pacific NW, I have not seen many Eby, Elite or 4 Star trailers.  I do see a lot of Exiss and Featherlites, a fair number of Sundowners, and about equal numbers of other trailers (Silverlite, Trails West, Logan Coach...).

I do think I will stay away from the aluminum clad steel.  How do aluminum trailer manufacturers avoid problems with using steel on parts for the coupler and axle?

I was trying to read the warranty for the Exiss and Featherlite trailers, but could not find it on line.  I was able to read the Silverlite warranty on their website.  Do all manufacturers have about the same warranty?

Thanks!

Edited by Safet 2009-07-07 12:22 AM
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-07-07 5:13 AM (#107638 - in reply to #107636)

Expert

Originally written by Safet on 2009-07-07 12:15 AM

Thank you for the advice and for the information.

In the Pacific NW, I have not seen many Eby, Elite or 4 Star trailers.  I do see a lot of Exiss and Featherlites, a fair number of Sundowners, and about equal numbers of other trailers (Silverlite, Trails West, Logan Coach...).

I do think I will stay away from the aluminum clad steel.  How do aluminum trailer manufacturers avoid problems with using steel on parts for the coupler and axle?

I was trying to read the warranty for the Exiss and Featherlite trailers, but could not find it on line.  I was able to read the Silverlite warranty on their website.  Do all manufacturers have about the same warranty?

Thanks!

With frames, axles, couplers, etc the materials are so thick for those parts that it just about doesn't matter.
I don't have references for this, but it is at least possible that marine grade alloys are spec'd for these parts - stronger, more corrosion resistant, etc. They are structural parts and (my guess) purchasing departments probably don't second guess the engineers on that stuff.
For thin sheet "cladding" the specs are likely less stringent and purchasing departments probably have more leeway to "shop for price".

Warranty ?
The anecdotal experiences suggest to me that I would much rather not HAVE the failures than have to depend on the "Best Warranty".
No names in this post, but check the failure history of the manufacturers you are considering and give much more weight to that than their promises (Warranties).
Safet
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2009-07-07 8:46 AM (#107639 - in reply to #107443)

Veteran

Thank you.  I will search through the forums and also on line.  You're right - I'd rather not have the failures - but if something were to happen, I'd like to know there would be a warranty to back up repairs.

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-07-07 9:14 AM (#107641 - in reply to #107639)

Expert

There is at least one well known manufacturer who has basically welshed on the Warranty with respect to corrosion of aluminum.
I won't call them out by name, you can find the stories easily enough.

4-Star, EBY and Jamco might not be numerous in your area, but I am of the mind that "With the right trailer, who needs dealer support ?"
The closest to me is ~50 miles away (4-Star) and I think the nearest Jamco dealer is 60 or 65. I havn't needed either.

Brake, coupler, axle parts are generic, most often Dexter for brakes and axles, BullDog or Atwood for couplers.
RV and equipment trailer places have all that stuff, lights too.
Even NAPA has brake lining for Dexter axles.

One thing that I think is worth carrying is a whole spare brake drum, complete with packed bearings. Somewhere between $60 and $150 according to size.
Regular maintenance notwithstanding, I have the tools to swap one out at the roadside quicker than AAA or USRider could get to me.
I don't think it is practical to swap out only the bearings at the curb, although many people seem to carry just spare bearings.
If the rollers are gone the shells are probably trashed to the point where they will take out new bearings. Replacing shells is NOT a side of the road project - for ME.

DO change a drum on your driveway for "the exercise" and to check that you bought the right spare.
Then pack all the tools you needed into the tack room.
Safet
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2009-07-07 11:43 PM (#107674 - in reply to #107443)

Veteran

Those are great suggestions and I'll make note of them!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)