Where to put a carriage when hauling with a gooseneck?
amie9191
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-07-22 12:17 PM (#87909)
Subject: Where to put a carriage when hauling with a gooseneck?

New User

I am going to be making a 23 hour trip to a horse show with my 3 horse slantload gooseneck w/ mid-tack in October. 

I was asked to haul someone's horse down along with a 4 wheel carriage (the horse competes in the driving division).  I don't have a hayrack on my trailer and I don't think it would be a wise purchase for a one time trip.

Does anyone have any ideas on where/how I could haul the carriage?

Thanks everyone!

Edited by amie9191 2008-07-22 12:18 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-07-22 12:26 PM (#87911 - in reply to #87909)
Subject: RE: Where to put a carriage when hauling with a gooseneck?

Expert

(QUOTE) Does anyone have any ideas on where/how I could haul the carriage?

In the back of another truck??...... Unless you can disassemble the carriage, and store pieces of the carriage all about the trailer and back of the tow vehicle.

What type of carriage is it? What does it weigh?

Edited by retento 2008-07-22 1:03 PM
amie9191
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-07-22 12:37 PM (#87912 - in reply to #87909)

New User

Taking another truck isn't an option.

Has anyone ever had a Hitch Basket installed on the back of their horse trailer?

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-07-22 12:53 PM (#87914 - in reply to #87909)

Expert

At many of the shows we attend, participants haul golf carts on a trailer attached to their GN trailers. Most are the lawn service type with ramps. The total rig is light, and is hitched to a ball attached to the lower aft frame of the horse trailer.

Gard

brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-07-22 1:47 PM (#87920 - in reply to #87909)

I used to haul a meadowbrook cart with 48" wooden wheels in a 3H . We removed the the fenders, and the wheels, then turned it on it side and suspended it from the front wall, the divider and the tie hooks in the front & back of the front stall. It was a major pain in the butt, but it had to be hauled to the shows. We then learned how to chain the ramp up  and tie it on the back with the shafts ( heavily padded for the trip) sticking straight up in the air. This worked better for me since I didn't have to have any help. I sold it bought one with removable shafts. That is much easier to deal with.

I have a friend that carries a QH bicycle wheeled jerald cart on top of her trailer that doesn't have a hayrack. They mounted eye bolts to lash it down to. Takes 2 strong guys to put it up and take it down though. It would be much easier to handle that style cart if you had a hayrack.

amie9191
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-07-22 2:05 PM (#87922 - in reply to #87920)

New User

I have a friend that carries a QH bicycle wheeled jerald cart on top of her trailer that doesn't have a hayrack. They mounted eye bolts to lash it down to. Takes 2 strong guys to put it up and take it down though. It would be much easier to handle that style cart if you had a hayrack.

We actually talked about mounting eye bolts to the top of the trailer but wasn't sure if anyone had done that.

Since this is just a one time haul I don't want to invest money into something that I'm not going to use again.

Anyone know if the eye bolts could cause any problems with the horse trailer?

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-07-22 2:30 PM (#87925 - in reply to #87909)

Expert

(Quote) Taking another truck isn't an option.

Me, strapping someone else cart and related gear to my trailer wouldn't be an option either!!

You are going to drill holes in the roof or sides, beat and bang up your trailer hauling someone elses cart and stuff. How much you going to charge them?

They got a horse and cart...... Where's their truck and trailer?

You're going to do them a favor...... Haul for 23 hours, one way......Ya'll will end up fussing and fighting over this..... End of a friendship.

Bet the horse doesn't kick, paw, crib, etc.

Not trying to be sarcastic, just trying to get you looking at the big picture. Think about it!

randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2008-07-22 5:36 PM (#87942 - in reply to #87909)

Extreme Veteran

Is it a marathon carriage? If so, is it horse size or pony size? If it's not a particularly huge carriage you could possibly fit it in the back of your trailer but you would have to remove your rear tack area if that is possible. I have a 4 horse and I can haul 2 carriages and 1 horse or 2 horses and one carriage. I do not have a rear tack for this reason. I've seen carriages loaded on end and strapped down in the front of the trailer too. There are many different ways it could be done but it all depends on the kind of carriage it is. The shafts should be removable as well regardless of the type of carriage.

Good luck. 

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-07-23 1:30 AM (#87989 - in reply to #87909)

Expert

Originally written by amie9191 on 2008-07-22 1:17 PM

I am going to be making a 23 hour trip to a horse show with my 3 horse slantload gooseneck w/ mid-tack in October. 

I was asked to haul someone's horse down along with a 4 wheel carriage (the horse competes in the driving division).  I don't have a hayrack on my trailer and I don't think it would be a wise purchase for a one time trip.

Does anyone have any ideas on where/how I could haul the carriage?

Thanks everyone!

Why exactly are you doing this??

IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-07-23 4:31 PM (#88104 - in reply to #87925)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by retento on 2008-07-22 2:30 PM
Haul for 23 hours, one way......Ya'll will end up fussing and fighting over this..... End of a friendship.

Back in 1995, I hauled a mare for one of my freinds. Mare was loaded into my 2 horse BP front load trailer. As I was doing the butt bar up...the mare decided to rush backwards out of the trailer, causing the butt bar to whack me across the chest/arm and knocking me down to the ground. While the mare came rushing backwards over me.

In the process of doing this...she RIPPED the manger and manger sidewall OUT OF MY TRAILER! (she had been tied to the manger hook)

As the mare was running back to the barn, my friend said, "She's never done that! But then....she's never been in a 2 horse trailer".

Dumb on my part for NOT asking that question!

My friend never offered to pay for the damage done by her mare. And when I asked her for money to help me fix my trailer....she got very upset. She never gave me a penny. She is now my ex-friend.

A few years ago, I saw a bumper sticker at the MN Horse Expo that read "Yes, this is my trailer. No, I'm not hauling your horse!" HAHA!

Good luck on your long trip and good luck in figuring out where to put the cart, would it fit in your dressing room?