wheel bearing grease
mud_dog
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2008-05-19 5:24 AM (#84190)
Subject: wheel bearing grease

Regular

I have a CM trailer that came from the factory packed with lithium grease.  I inadvertently packed the EZ lube fittings with marine wheel bearing grease.  It doesn't say on the package that it's lithium grease.  Are these two greases compatable, or will I have to do something to remove the all the grease and start over?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-05-19 6:35 AM (#84192 - in reply to #84190)
Subject: RE: wheel bearing grease

Expert

I would start over. Made a stupid mistake years ago, thought they were the "same" type of grease..........they were not. Made a runny mess.

Now Im REAL particular, I use the same kind, same brand, same logo on the tube, purchased at the same store, same time of day, from same cashier, you get the picture.
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-05-19 7:16 AM (#84196 - in reply to #84190)

Expert

On a side note, you will probably find the EZ lube feature is only popular with your local mechanic as they tend to keep business coming their way.  It is way to easy to cause a seal failure and grease your brakes with those things.   Now Im not saying they cant work as intended, only that they are easy to make a mess with. 

Ive tried them and dont use them anymore after I had a seal failure, didnt grease my brakes but was well on my way to doing so.  Ive been doing my own wrench turning since I was old enough to hold a wrench, so it wasnt a novice mistake.  Besides, I like to get in there and take a look at the brakes anyway.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-05-19 8:34 AM (#84206 - in reply to #84190)

Expert

It would take a chemical engineer to give you the correct answer as to the compatibility of mixing lubricants. It will be difficult to clean out the bearings because you have to remove the bearing buddies ( aka EZ Lube). However, when you do so, you will have the opportunity to check all the mechanicals; bearings, seals , brakes etc.

I've been involved in the marine and aircraft communities for many years, and wheel bearing grease has always been an issue in both industries. Both experience extreme lubricating difficulties. With boat trailers, a small wheel turning at a high rpm for miles, super heating the grease, is suddenly quenched in water. The contraction of the components sucks water into the voids and pollutes the grease. Many bearings and spindles have been ruined, and the presence of broken down trailers along side the highways, is testimony to the damage caused by water being mixed into the grease.

The advent of synthetic greases and bearing buddies has eliminated most of these problems. The synthetic greases are not hydroscopic and will not absorb water. They survive at high temperatures without viscosity changes and their shear strength greatly surpasses any petroleum based product. Because their base compounds don't break down, they are longer lasting and offer more lubricosity. The benefits of lower maintenance costs and increased reliability, completely outweigh any additional purchase price.

I completely disagree with those who discredit the usefulness of the bearing buddies. It's obvious that anyone who has experienced problems with their usage, has used them incorrectly. Their benefits are several: a positive lubrication at all times, a constant reservoir of additional product, a positive pressure inside the hub that reduces external contaminants and water infiltration, and longer lasting bearing and spindle life with less maintenance.

There is a spring loaded piston on the outside of each buddy. This is the reservoir and the entry point for the grease. Properly serviced, the piston is not allowed to bottom out with the grease application. A yearly service would consist of only a few pumps from a gun. Adding a couple more pumps after the piston has bottomed, just for good measure, will ruin the integrity of the hub assembly.

For those who apply grease until they expect to see it seeping from a parting surface, are inviting future headaches. By over servicing the buddies, the inner grease seal was probably compromised, excess grease has escaped from the hub area into the wheel space and now the brakes will no longer squeal, as they too are lubricated.

For every problem with excessive lubrication blamed on a bearing buddy, I can show you improper maintenance practices. Used properly and including synthetic grease, you will have few problems and little maintenance issues with your trailer bearings.

All of my trailers are equipped with bearing buddies. Since their installations, I have never had a wheel bearing issue, and I enjoy a minimal amount of yearly maintenance.

Gard

Edited by gard 2008-05-19 11:52 AM
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-05-19 11:35 AM (#84215 - in reply to #84206)

Expert

Originally written by gard on 2008-05-19 7:34 AM

... It will be difficult to clean out the bearings because you have to remove the bearing buddies ( aka EZ Lube). However, when you do so, you will have the opportunity to check all the mechanicals; bearings, seals , brakes etc.

Gard ... The Dexter "EZ-lube" is NOT the same as a "Bearing-buddy"

The EZ-lube is merely a grease passage to the back bearing of the wheel spindle from a front grease fitting.  The only thing that prevents the grease from flowing out of the rear spindle area and on to the brakes is the rear bearing seal.  As Chadsalt alluded to, it's very easy to blow the seal and grease one's brakes.  I've posted a photo in my album (on this web site) of my trailer's previous owner's handiwork.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-05-19 11:50 AM (#84218 - in reply to #84215)

Expert

Originally written by hosspuller on 2008-05-19 12:35 PM

... It will be difficult to clean out the bearings because you have to remove the bearing buddies ( aka EZ Lube). However, when you do so, you will have the opportunity to check all the mechanicals; bearings, seals , brakes etc.

Hosspuller

Thank you! I was told at Congress by a dealer rep that the Dexter product was the "same" as a bearing buddy. Since then I have had a difficult time understanding why so many problems are equated with their usage if they were the same.

As my thread states I have had no problems with the Bearing Buddies and I highly recommend them. If the Dexter products are problematic, perhaps exchanging them for the buddies would simplify the maintenance issues.

Thank you for explaining this difference.

Gard

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-05-19 1:25 PM (#84226 - in reply to #84215)

Expert

Originally written by hosspuller on 2008-05-19 11:35 AM

The EZ-lube is merely a grease passage to the back bearing of the wheel spindle from a front grease fitting.  The only thing that prevents the grease from flowing out of the rear spindle area and on to the brakes is the rear bearing seal.  As Chadsalt alluded to, it's very easy to blow the seal and grease one's brakes.  I've posted a photo in my album (on this web site) of my trailer's previous owner's handiwork.

Ive believe part of the problem with the EZ lube is that the seal is really more of a "splash guard" than a seal meant to actually contain pressure. A slight nick or imperfection in the seal may yeild acceptable service during the "splash guard" situation, but under even a little pressure some grease will escape.

mud_dog
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2008-05-20 5:35 AM (#84292 - in reply to #84190)

Regular

Thanks for all of the responses. I have contacted both the grease manufacturer and the trailer manufacturer.  I have been told that not even all of the 3 types of lithium grease are compatable.  Bottom line is to check you manual or the trailer manufacturer and stick with the original type of grease that they used.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-05-20 6:18 AM (#84293 - in reply to #84190)

Expert

I would guess the wrong grease is better than NO GREASE!!
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-05-20 6:44 AM (#84296 - in reply to #84293)

Expert

Originally written by retento on 2008-05-20 7:18 AM

I would guess the wrong grease is better than NO GREASE!!

After seeing the runny, watery mess because I used the wrong grease..........I would guess the wrong grease could end up as no grease.  Never would have believed that it if I hadnt seen it.

wendmil
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-05-20 6:45 AM (#84297 - in reply to #84190)

Veteran

Ok, I have to ask this.  Since I bought a 12 yr old trailer and I have no idea what type of grease, do you take them out and clean them up and put new grease in?  Or do you just put grease in to displace the old grease and that's enough?

Any of you girls out there do your own bearing packings?

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-05-20 6:52 AM (#84298 - in reply to #84297)

Expert

Take it apart and put a known type of grease in, youll never get all the old out just by pumping new in.  Wont hurt to get a look at the brakes and bearings at 12 years either.
Sharon
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-05-20 8:32 AM (#84315 - in reply to #84190)

Veteran

I would love to be pointed at a webpage describing this procedure with photographs.... it would be great to save all that money...
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-05-20 8:51 AM (#84317 - in reply to #84297)

Expert

Originally written by wendmil on 2008-05-20 7:45 AM

Ok, I have to ask this.  Since I bought a 12 yr old trailer and I have no idea what type of grease, do you take them out and clean them up and put new grease in?  Or do you just put grease in to displace the old grease and that's enough? (QUOTE]

A 12 year old trailer should have its bearings removed, cleaned and inspected for wear and possible replacement. The hubs should all be cleaned, new grease seals installed and then a new lubricant should be applied as necessary.

As was stated in a previous thread, there is a compatibility issue among different brands of grease, so it is unwise just to add more, while not knowing what the original material was.

Unless a synthetic lubricant and a devise like a bearing buddy is used, it is recommended that wheel bearings are disassembled, inspected and lubricated annually. Waiting 12 years between maintenance is inviting a bearing/spindle failure.

Gard

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-05-20 9:09 AM (#84318 - in reply to #84315)

Expert

Originally written by Sharon on 2008-05-20 7:32 AM

I would love to be pointed at a webpage describing this procedure with photographs.... it would be great to save all that money...

A shameless plug for a website & article

I wrote an article exactly as you described.  Bearings ...greasing and why

Click here >>>  http://mrtrailer.com/hosspullerbrakes.pdf 

Sharon
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-05-20 10:15 AM (#84322 - in reply to #84318)

Veteran

Thanks for the link, no need to apologize, that's exactly what I asked for!

rattler
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-05-20 3:20 PM (#84332 - in reply to #84322)

Regular

I replace all bearings on my trailer every summer. The only problem I seem to have is the axle end caps come off from time to time and I hear them rolling around inside the simulator. What is the best method for putting the end cap on and have it stay ....can I use threadloc?

rattler

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-05-20 4:09 PM (#84337 - in reply to #84190)

Expert

Can I have your old bearings? The ones you are going to change next year? I believe you're wasting time and money on overkill. The bearings should not be close to being worn enough for replacement in one year. Not if they are properly lubricated and sealed. How many miles to you tow and under what conditions?

If the dust caps keep falling off, try replacing them with new ones. Or you can try to gently stretch the diameter of the edge, by striking the inside of the lip  with a ball peen hammer on an anvil. Make sure the inner hub lip surface is clean of grease and dirt, as well as the outside edge of the cap.

If the caps are removed by striking the edge of a common screw driver between the cap and hub, you will slightly reduce the outside diameter of the cap. This will loosen the interference fit, and may be a cause of it not staying in place. By grabbing the cap with a pair of water pump pliers, it can usually be quickly pulled straight off, lessening any damage to the lip of the cap. This will ensure a tight fit when reinstalled.

Properly fit, the caps are difficult enough to remove without resorting to sealants.

Gard

wyndancer
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2008-05-20 5:44 PM (#84343 - in reply to #84190)

Extreme Veteran

I have a question for the mechanics.

Why does the wheel bearing on a horse trailer need to be removed, inspected and re-packed annually? I can see wanting to have a look at the brakes annually. But really, repacking once/year is overkill. It's not like they are a boat trailer get backed into water when hot.

How many of you re-pack the wheel bearing on the front of your tow vehicles annually? I do understand that many of the front wheel bearings on the newer vehicles are "lubricating for the life of the unit." So they are either good or bad...depending on your luck.

Edited by wyndancer 2008-05-20 5:46 PM
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-05-20 9:45 PM (#84363 - in reply to #84332)

Expert

Originally written by rattler on 2008-05-20 2:20 PM

I replace all bearings on my trailer every summer. The only problem I seem to have is the axle end caps come off from time to time and I hear them rolling around inside the simulator. What is the best method for putting the end cap on and have it stay ....can I use threadloc?

rattler

Rattler ... I think the loose dust cap is the source of your bearing problems.  If it's missing (as in rolling in the wheel cover) it is allowing dirt to enter the bearing races.  The smallest bit of dirt will destroy a bearing in a very short time. 

Bearings would last a lot longer if properly handled in a clean room environment.  But even if the bearings are clean, mishandled grease can and will destroy the bearing with collected dirt too.

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-05-23 6:38 AM (#84537 - in reply to #84343)

Expert

Originally written by wyndancer on 2008-05-20 6:44 PM

Why does the wheel bearing on a horse trailer need to be removed, inspected and re-packed annually? I can see wanting to have a look at the brakes annually. But really, repacking once/year is overkill. It's not like they are a boat trailer get backed into water when hot.

How many of you re-pack the wheel bearing on the front of your tow vehicles annually? I do understand that many of the front wheel bearings on the newer vehicles are "lubricating for the life of the unit." So they are either good or bad...depending on your luck.

Short answer, they probably dont.  I always do maint by the book, but Ive wasted a lot of perfectly good grease packing bearings once a year.  Im in there anyway to take a look at the brakes/magnets, so I might as well do the bearings. 

On a side note, one of my trailers has Al-ko axles, that books say to repack the bearings every 6 months or 6000 miles..........I can tell you thats not going to happen.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-05-23 9:14 AM (#84557 - in reply to #84343)

Expert

Originally written by wyndancer on 2008-05-20 6:44 PM

The wear on a wheel bearing would depend on your driving and the loads involved. Some of the larger trailers are running their axles at a maximum loading. There is little or no reserve capacity. The bearings are always stressed to their maximum limits. They need constant attention and maintenance to provide any semblance of reliability. If your driving includes much rough or off road conditions, or much dust and water, your bearings should be regularly inspected and lubricated.

However, if you're like the majority of us who spend most of their time on improved roads and whose off the road excursions are limited to the grass at a show grounds, a yearly repacking is not necessary. Most medium and smaller trailers are lighter built, and proportionally do not highly stress their axles/bearings as much as the large trailers.

Many states have annual inspections for trailers. The only way to check the brakes is to pull the bearings. Once the bearings are removed, any contamination or damage by dropping the bearing, can ruin it. With one of the bearings already in your hand, it's cost and time effective to repack them.

If the wear on your brakes were not an issue, the use of  bearing buddies and synthetic grease eliminates yearly repacking on non electric axles. Again depending on mileage, you can go several years without repacking the bearings.

Many vehicles have sealed wheel bearings. I've had to replace some at mileages over 150K. My truck's front bearing are non greaseable. I can't repack them.

I can't tell you not to inspect your brakes. But if you typically drive a low amount of miles per year and know the condition and wear of your brakes, it is mechanically possible to skip an annual wheel bearing repacking

Gard.

wendmil
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-05-23 3:23 PM (#84574 - in reply to #84317)

Veteran

Originally written by gard on 2008-05-20 8:51 AM

Originally written by wendmil on 2008-05-20 7:45 AM

Ok, I have to ask this.  Since I bought a 12 yr old trailer and I have no idea what type of grease, do you take them out and clean them up and put new grease in?  Or do you just put grease in to displace the old grease and that's enough? (QUOTE]

A 12 year old trailer should have its bearings removed, cleaned and inspected for wear and possible replacement. The hubs should all be cleaned, new grease seals installed and then a new lubricant should be applied as necessary.

As was stated in a previous thread, there is a compatibility issue among different brands of grease, so it is unwise just to add more, while not knowing what the original material was.

Unless a synthetic lubricant and a devise like a bearing buddy is used, it is recommended that wheel bearings are disassembled, inspected and lubricated annually. Waiting 12 years between maintenance is inviting a bearing/spindle failure.

Gard

Hopefully the previous owner was truthful when she told me that maintenance had been done faithfully.  Of course I didn't verify that when I bought it.  And now it's time for it to be done and I guess I'm going to have to learn to do it myself because I'm kinda squeamish about having it done (have heard some not so good things about two of the area horse trailer service places in the area).  And a girl should know how to do this kinda stuff, right?  Hope I don't FIND a mess and I hope I don't create one either!

Hosspuller, good article on the bearings servicing.  I think with your article and a some assistance by a friend I should be able to do this.  (Will be asking more questions, of course, as I get closer to doing this).  Have you written an article on working on the brakes?  Or installing a breakaway kit?  Or have a good site to find the instructions?

wendmil
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-06-07 7:45 AM (#85350 - in reply to #84190)

Veteran

YEAH!!!    Got the bearings repacked!  Thanks y'all!  You guys are great.  Hosspuller, your article was VERY helpful.  And the input by the rest of you was helpful as well.  It wasn't as scary as I had imagined it would be.  It was very MESSY... very, very, messy, but it's doable for a girl to do their own.  Lugnut removal was probably the worst part.  Good impact wrench or a cheater bar for the 4-way is necessary!  Brakes were ok for now.  Now that doesn't look like it's gonna be fun.

wyndancer
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2008-06-07 8:11 AM (#85352 - in reply to #84190)

Extreme Veteran

Here's what I find is the cause of more problems. Rust on the backing plates and related hardware. For those of you that live somewhere where it don't snow, this may not be an issue.

I asked the question, to which gard gave a sound reply. It's not so much that the trailers need annual bearing service, it's that they need the brakes looked at. And that all goes hand in hand.

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-06-07 11:25 PM (#85371 - in reply to #84190)

Expert

These two are almost totally different systems with the only things in common are filling the hub with grease by means of a Zerk fitting.

Bearing Buddy is a spring-loaded grease cap on the hub. One fills the hub with grease, from the outside in, using the Zerk fitting until the hub is filled (I don't know where the air goes..). The spring keeps the hub under positive pressure, so that when a warm hub is dunked in cold water, the shrinkage won't pull in water past the seal and grease cap to contaminate the grease. There is no way for fresh grease to lubricate the inner bearings unless the seal leaks. Under hot highway conditions, expanding grease has to push the spring back or exit through the seal in older models; newer models may have pressure relief valve to prevent this. Newer BBs use a special seal to prevent overpressure, obviously requiring disassembly of the bearings to install.

BBs are also subject to loss by getting knocked off, excess tire bounce from unbalanced tires and theft, according to the BB site.

OTOH, the EZLube, AG Hub and Spindle-Lube systems have no pressurization except when pumping grease. The axle spindle is hollow and has a Zerk fitting on the outer end, covered by a rubber cap. The inner end of the spindle has holes between the inner bearing and the seal. With the rubber cover removed, fresh grease is pumped into the spindle (by hand pump, with wheel jacked up and slowly turning, according to Dexter). The grease goes down the spindle, comes out the holes, goes through both the inner and outer bearings and comes out next to the Zerk, forcing the old grease out. Once the hub is greased, if the grease expands, coming out through the rubber cap is easier than getting past the seal. (I recommend scooping out some of the excess grease under the cap to prevent grease fling, but be careful because the inner edge of the metal cap is *sharp* and fresh blood looks really strange on greasy fingers...).

With the spindle-lube systems, one can also choose to hand pack bearings in the conventional manner, esp if one doesn't like having a hub full of grease.

All of the red words are links...

Edited by PaulChristenson 2008-06-07 11:32 PM
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-06-07 11:29 PM (#85372 - in reply to #85352)

Expert

Hosspuller thank you for the articale I was looking for something that would help me. Do you have any others ??? 
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-06-08 7:35 AM (#85378 - in reply to #85372)

Expert

Originally written by loveduffy on 2008-06-07 10:29 PM

Hosspuller thank you for the articale I was looking for something that would help me. Do you have any others ??? 

Glad to help...  Mrtruck.com has my article on wiring GFCI's and horse trailers at >>  http://towingreview.com/  (down about 2/3 of the page.)

I write the articles as my trailer needs the work.  That way I get pictures at the same time.  Do you want an article on anything in particular?

wendmil
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-06-08 2:11 PM (#85390 - in reply to #84190)

Veteran

Hosspuller, I know I'd like to see an article on doing brakes. 
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-06-08 3:17 PM (#85393 - in reply to #85390)

Expert

Originally written by wendmil on 2008-06-08 1:11 PM

Wendmil ...  here's a link to Youtube videos on brakes.  >> http://www.sutree.com/game.aspx?s=39177

There are a few details I would do differently (since I'm a mechanical fussy pants) but it is a basic primer.

Gard, Paul, Chadsalt, etc... Care to comment on these videos?

Edited by hosspuller 2008-06-08 3:18 PM
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-06-08 3:34 PM (#85394 - in reply to #84190)

Expert

I now you didn't ask me but....  If my shoes were worn out. I think I would just swap out the entire backing plate, shoes, magnets, etc. You can replace the whole assembly for just a little more money and it's all new. And it's alot faster. JMHO. k

Edited by retento 2008-06-08 7:01 PM
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-06-08 4:13 PM (#85400 - in reply to #85371)

Expert

Originally written by PaulChristenson on 2008-06-07 12:25 AM

Bearing Buddy . There is no way for fresh grease to lubricate the inner bearings unless the seal leaks. BBs are also subject to loss by getting knocked off, excess tire bounce from unbalanced tires and theft, according to the BB site.

Five trailers, thousands of miles over many years. No missing BBs. If you install synthetic grease it will suffer little wear and add greatly to the bearings' longevity. All the bearings and grease stay clean and lubricated because no dust or water can enter.

Gard

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-06-09 7:02 AM (#85420 - in reply to #85393)

Expert

Originally written by hosspuller on 2008-06-08 3:17 PM

Wendmil ...  here's a link to Youtube videos on brakes.  >> http://www.sutree.com/game.aspx?s=39177

There are a few details I would do differently (since I'm a mechanical fussy pants) but it is a basic primer.

Looks pretty good to me. I generally have a couple dabs of grease strategically placed to help make sure the shoes dont drag after the brakes are released. Pulling both drums on a side gives you a "working" copy to compare your progress to, if one is inexperienced or ends up with 'extra' parts.

retento mentioned replaceing the whole assembly, Ive been known to do that also. The whole loaded backing plate can be had for $50 each, compared to shoes only at $25 set. If the magnets have to be replaced also, its a no brainer $$$ wise.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-06-09 11:38 PM (#85450 - in reply to #85393)

Expert

Originally written by hosspuller on 2008-06-08 4:17 PM

Much nicer to do the work off the trailer...

wendmil
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-06-12 12:06 PM (#85582 - in reply to #85394)

Veteran

Originally written by retento on 2008-06-08 3:34 PM
I now you didn't ask me but....  If my shoes were worn out. I think I would just swap out the entire backing plate, shoes, magnets, etc. You can replace the whole assembly for just a little more money and it's all new. And it's alot faster. JMHO. k

Retento, can you get the whole assembly already assembled and ready to pop on the trailer?  Or do you have to put it all together?

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-06-12 2:04 PM (#85588 - in reply to #84190)

Expert

See if what you're looking is on this page....

http://i.b5z.net/i/u/1080235/f/parts_kit_catalog/Complete_Brake_Assemblies_8-05_72_res.pdf

Mind you, these are Dexter parts. ALKO will be different.

Edited by retento 2008-06-12 2:09 PM