Redoing old trailer- Tips? Checklist?
starfillybaby
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-08 6:42 PM (#38479)
Subject: Redoing old trailer- Tips? Checklist?

Hello, My husband and I are going to be redoing my older trailer and I just want to make sure were doing things right and doing the right things :-).

It's a 1976 two horse bumber pull. I dont know exactly what brand because the name plates have been painted over but it says FREN on the title. My father bought it for me years ago in the early 90's. It's not in real bad shape so should be easy, right? LOL. We have a list of things that we need to do and a list of things we'd like to do but might not get done right away. If there is anything we have forgotten or you wouls like to suggest, by all means, please do!

Ok, Things that will be done ASAP.

1)Replacement of floor with 2x12x12's. The org floor has 3 2x12's and 4 2x6's. Is there a reason for this? Is that how we should redo it or can we leave it at the 12x12's?

2) Replacement of plywood on ramp.

3)Rewire entire trailer, possible ad, change or update lights.

4)New wheel bearings.

5)New tires. Can good used tires be used or do we have to go new?

6)There is some rot in the rear corners thru the plywood. We will check this closer when we pull the floor out.

7)Make new rear cover. Currently a peice of plywood in bad shape. I think this is how it should be. I dont see a way for it to be canves like some of the others and there is no hinges for rear doors.

Ok, The list of things we would like to do but may not get to right away. 7)Replace windows. 8)replace pads. 9) replace plywood inside (at least some of it). 10) Repaint entire trailer. 11) Replace inside dividers (took them out years ago and they have been lost)

We will go over the bottom closely for any rust, rot, cracks, holes and such when we do the floor work. We are planning on at least buying the floor boards this weekend (2x12x12 pressure treated from lowes. Hubby works with wood everyday so he can pick out the best ones) and the new bolts and possibly get it done.

We have a deadline of the end of April to be at least sturdy and roadworthy because that is my first show of the season.

Please! If I am missing something, or you have ANY suggestions from how to do things to tips or makeing anything easier. Please share!

I do know that its a leaf spring suspension (Dad always complained about that) and the brakes are hydraulic and have never worked.

Thats what I forgot to ask! What do we do about the brakes? They have never worked but it wasent much of an issue but now we have to pull it with a Dodge Dakota and would like to have the extra stopping power. We have an electric brake controller to put in truck for use with another trailer we have. Would it be possible to change the brake system to eletric? Would that be hard? Expensive? Not worth it?

Thanks in advance for any help or comments!!

Willa and Tom

Oh, Ps. My Dad is no longer with us. We lost him Feb 15th and this will be kinda an emotional thing for me because he bought it for me as a horse crazy kid.

The only thing I ever remember doing to it was repainting (like a dozen times in green and purple of all things, What was I thinking?! LOL and he put more lights on it and wired them in but I dont remember rewiring the whole thing. Thats it! So it's well deserved the restoration thats for sure!

Edited by starfillybaby 2006-03-08 6:48 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-03-08 8:35 PM (#38485 - in reply to #38479)
Subject: RE: Redoing old trailer- Tips? Checklist?

Extreme Veteran

I can only say WOW!

May I suggest to you a big bottle of anti-inflammatory pills and a couple months worth of your favorite brew?

But in dedication to your father, good for you. I hope it works out for you to get the trailer on the road and keep the  memories rolling.

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-03-08 9:35 PM (#38495 - in reply to #38479)

Expert

After doing the floor, Tires and BRAKES... you might have more money in this project than a new trailer... But other reasons apply.

The above three items are not to be skimped on.  Quality there pays.  I would look at replacing the axles to get the proper electric brake set-up.  I don't know any thing about converting from Hyd to electric brakes.  Seems there would be too many parts that would have to be changed for the money compared to a new axle.

starfillybaby
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-09 8:29 AM (#38515 - in reply to #38479)

Thank you for your replies.

One thing that I need to change is that it has coil springs. I said leaf in my org. message but that was wrong.

I dont think it will be all that hard actually. The trailer is pretty much very straight forward and easy to work on.  My husband and I will do nearly all of the work ourselves to save some money.

bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-03-09 3:13 PM (#38537 - in reply to #38479)

Extreme Veteran

Have you put pen to paper and added up the cost of all of this? You might get a good used trailer for the effort and money your going to put into this one. I need to get by steel bp painted and I'm weighing the cost of getting it painted vs if I sell it and by a newer one. I understand you might be attached to this trailer, though, so it doesn't matter what the effort/cost is.
-Betty
maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2006-03-09 3:31 PM (#38539 - in reply to #38537)

Extreme Veteran

One thing I would suggest, even though you are getting pressure treated lumber, I would go ahead and paint the boards as well. Pressure treat rots eventually and painting the boards can make them last that much longer.

Just my .02ยข

starfillybaby
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-09 3:59 PM (#38543 - in reply to #38479)

We honestly haven't added up what it will cost aside from the floor which is going to be 125 for the boards plus the new bolts. I try not to think that far ahead :-) Thats why we have a list of things that have to be done and one of things I'd like to have done. :-)

We did start pulling up the old floor today. I'm going back out in just a min to see if I can get somemore done tonight.

Because of the ablilty to do nearly all of it ourselves we dont think the cost will be too great. There is no way I can get a new trailer. The shows I am planning on this year (horse is only 4) or all within 1 hour drive more or less so as long as the floor, tires, and bearing get done I should be ok. Like I said before the breakes never worked anyway but of course they will need to be done at some point.

Anyway, Thanks for the thoughts so far! I will let hubby know what you've said tonight when he gets back home.

Well, I'm back to the demolision :-)

Thanks,

Willa 

starfillybaby
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-09 6:19 PM (#38549 - in reply to #38479)

Mesnafugal
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-10 2:24 AM (#38562 - in reply to #38479)

New User

I"m also redoing my trailer, and I need to know a good source for doing the LQ... it'a approx 5.5ft x 9.5 ft... are there any good sources for tables... cabinets.. etc.??
walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-03-10 6:55 AM (#38569 - in reply to #38479)

Elite Veteran

What you have is an old French trailer.  They were very good trailers.  I had one also, in the 7-'s.  What color was it when you got it.  I am from MD too.!!
iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-03-10 8:25 AM (#38582 - in reply to #38569)

Extreme Veteran

Y ou may have to pay a little extra but I would get  some "Clear boards" That is ones with no knots in it. Your lumber yard may have to order them for you. I had an old McQuerry that was 9 years old when I bought and I kept it 9 years It had the original floors and they were perfect and they were clear. The knots is where you loose strength and where penetration occurs. Good luck that is a bigggg project! Oh yea they were treated pine.

Edited by iCE CRM 2006-03-10 8:26 AM
starfillybaby
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-10 8:59 AM (#38587 - in reply to #38569)

Originally written by walkin on 2006-03-10 7:55 AM

What you have is an old French trailer.  They were very good trailers.  I had one also, in the 7-'s.  What color was it when you got it.  I am from MD too.!!

Hi! I believe it was grey. My father bought it used from a person in Rock Hall, MD. There were harness people who had retired and just wanted it out of the yard. He only paid $500 but at the time it was a lot of extra money for us. The only thing it needed then was a coat of paint and It has a side ramp that was frozen shut that we had to take to a welder friend who get it working some how. This was in the 90's so I was an early teenager. I've put many miles on it to! It's just been sitting for the past few years because I had bought a larger trailer but sense sold it and then I didn't have a showable horse but now I want to get back into the ring. I plan on doing a english series here on the eastern shore.  Thank you for telling me what kind it is. Here is the picture inserted

As you can tell, In my girlish stupidism ;-) I painted it badly. That last coat was put on at 1AM the night before a show. Needless to say it didn't turn out the best BUT mabey all thoes layers of paint has keep the rust off! The roof dosent even leak anywhere, LOL

I've gotten most of the floor up. The larger boards were pretty rotten so the popped right up, the middle smaller boards are attempting to hold fast so I'll have to wait untill my husband can help me. I've almost gotten the wood off the ramp to replace it as well. It's going faster and easier then I thought it would go. LOL Keeping my fingers crossed that it dosent change!)

Well, I've got to go put the horses out and do the stalls. Talk to you all later.

starfillybaby
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-19 8:36 PM (#39083 - in reply to #38479)

Alright! This went much faster then I thoguht they would. Granted we've worked on it everyday but we've managed to get the floor done, I do need to fill a couple knots on the top though before I haul the mats back in. The ramp is redone. The plywood on the sides is done. The lighting is done, we replaced some and ran nearly all new wiring. I've got one of the side pads recovered, will finish the other side tomorrow and that will be done.

Next we're going to pull the tires off and get the bearings done, and new tires so it looks like I will defonaly get to my shows this year :-) I'll attach a picture of the nearly completed insides.

Thanks for you help!

Willa

Broken Bit
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-03-20 11:11 AM (#39116 - in reply to #38479)

Veteran

Looks nice,  I like the light colors on the inside, really brightens things up and looks clean.  Dad would be proud, and y'all will appreciate the trailer more than ever!
starfillybaby
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-20 11:58 AM (#39118 - in reply to #38479)

Thank you very much!

When we can get the whole thing repainted it will be beige and a brick red color.

Sharon
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2006-03-24 7:57 AM (#39429 - in reply to #38479)

Veteran

WOW, from your description I was picturing a deathtrap!  This trailer looks nicer than my 1997 steel stock trailer.