Hardwired generator options...is Onan it?
Johnson2017
Reg. Apr 2019
Posted 2019-04-27 7:28 PM (#172353)
Subject: Hardwired generator options...is Onan it?

New User

We have an Onan 4000 mounted on the hayrack of our 2011 Platinum trailer. Assumption is it’s original to the trailer. We purchased last year with about 875 hours on it. Currently we have 1200 hours on it - which means on average it ran harder this past year than it ever did.

We’ve done our maintenance, but we’re having issues with it - we presume the previous owners didn’t keep up with maintaining it. We have a mechanic who is going to take a look at it - but we also have friends who are throwing lots of money at their Onan generators.

We have a portable gen I can haul if I need to. I hate how heavy it is and how much space it takes up and having to go outside to stop or start it - not world ending, just obnoxious at 10 or 11pm when I just want to curl up and go to sleep to have to go outside and shut the gen off if I don’t need the AC.

Anyway - we’re going to let the mechanic look at it when we can give the trailer up for a week or so and he’s got the time. But we’d like to know what other options we have for a hardwired genset other than Onan???

This one also doesn’t have a cover over it, just the generator housing. Since I see so many newer trailers with the covers, I’m guessing if we replace this one with another hardwired permanent genset we should put a cover on it?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Spin Doctor
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2019-05-14 1:47 PM (#172380 - in reply to #172353)
Subject: RE: Hardwired generator options...is Onan it?

Extreme Veteran

I hardwired a Honda gen to the remote Onan wiring on a previous trailer. Took a little test light work to make sure all the wires hooked up properly, but wasn't a big deal.  BUT the Honda had a manual choke so if it was not run for a while, you still had to go the generator to start so you could use the choke. Could put a acuator on the manual choke and use it that way, but never did.
Also, had to make sure the fuel valve was manually turned on.....

share Top of the page Bottom of the page