Newer Steel Trailers - Arizona
aznovice
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2018-10-27 7:48 AM (#171990)
Subject: Newer Steel Trailers - Arizona

I have a 2010 2H Gooseneck Titan which has been a fine trailer. It is fairly simple without alot of bells and whistles. I'm looking at possibly upgrading to a nicer ride. I admit - somethimes I have trailer envy.  The Aluminum /Steel debate has me leaning towards Steel or a Steel/Aluminum combo. The Phoenix area is very limited in Trailer brands that are represented by dealers. Trails West is one brand sold locally here along with Titan. I would welcome your input on Trails West or any other steel brand I should consider. My horses are a smaller Quarter horse and a Paint. Trailer is used for local trail rides -no living quarters needed. Budget is around $15,000- maybe pushing  $20,000.  Willing to buy used or travel to a nearby state to pick up. Still in the tire kicking stage. Happy Trails!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2018-10-28 9:07 AM (#171994 - in reply to #171990)
Subject: RE: Newer Steel Trailers - Arizona

Elite Veteran

Unless you are litterally just wanting to spill money...your Titan is as good as it can be for what your use is..Don't drink the fancy Koolaid of aluminum trailers until you decide you need a fancy LQ and hit the road..even then, your Titan will be a great day tripper. BTW..I see alot of $200. horses stepping off fancy trailers...hilarious. 
CutAbove
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2018-11-29 1:50 PM (#172043 - in reply to #171990)

I know what you mean about trailer envy. I just put a new treated wood floor in my ancient WW stock combo trailer. That's a good 6 years after my trainer started teasing me about it not being up to snuff. So far I've hung with it, but I'm starting to look seriously at an actual upgrade. There a some places (mostly on the sliding stock door) where the rust has made its way through the metal. It leaks when it rains (need to seal the seams on the roof i guess) and it's, well, ugly. If I get the chance, I might let someone else whose budget is even tighter than mine have a chance at it.

I have liked what I've seen from Trails West trailers and my friend, a veterinarian who saw a lot of trailers when he was in the large animal practice, has a high opinion of them.
brokenboot
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2018-11-30 5:15 AM (#172046 - in reply to #171990)

Regular

We have two Trails West trailers, one a 2017 living quarters and the other a 2018 two horse slant bumper pull.  We have had Trails West trailers in the past and became convinced that they offer a lot of small details and features we didn't see in other mid-range trailers.  We felt we got the best value for our dollar with Trails West.  Our past trailers were all steel.  Both new ones are aluminum body on steel frames.  I'm not saying they're the best trailer out there or that they would be perfect for everyone, but we have had no quality complaints and if we were to purchase another trailer, we'd check out a Trails West first before looking at other brands.
aznovice
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2018-12-03 8:59 PM (#172068 - in reply to #172046)

I talked to 2 folks at a local arena about their Trails West trailer. Everyone loves them. Went so far as to get quotes on a new one after visiting a local dealer. Pushing $20,000 plus sales tax which slowed my roll a bit. Considering just having a ramp added to my Titan and keeping it for a few more years. After looking at the Trails West Adventure realized the inside box was too short for my 2 boys ( one is a limo). That pushes me into the Classic and Sierra Models which are the higher end price point. Never realized that my Titan is actually a very generously sized trailer ( lenght wise)  until I measured others. The Titan still sits in the driveway. 
brokenboot
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2018-12-05 5:18 AM (#172070 - in reply to #171990)

Regular

When looking at slant load trailers, regardless the brand, be sure to look at the length of the stall and not just the width of the box.  Manufacturers set their stall dividers at different angles, which creates different lengths of the stall.  The greater the angle, the longer the stall, which obviously gives a longer horse more room.