recommendations on brand of deep cycle marine batteries?
agfckrowe
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2018-07-29 8:47 AM (#171743)
Subject: recommendations on brand of deep cycle marine batteries?

I need a new pair of batteries and wondered if there is a brand that is superior than the others.  They will go on an 05  3 H LQ Platinum with a generator, large fridge, water heater, and AC. I am clueless, and my husband just goes to the local parts store in our small town and buys whatever they have. 
We don't use it enough, (trying to change that) and I will go up later and get the make and model of the charger/conditioner I researched and perchased several or more years ago. 
The batteries that were on there are 750 MCA, 600 CCA, 160 RC 95AH.  I have no idea if this is what's needed on for our LQ and to help start the generator.  
Also, this may sem like a dumb question but the way the batteries are mounted on the LQ makes it really hard to check their water levels.  Has anyone ever invented some type of "dipstick" or other way to to check the water level besides cramming my head in this little box sideways and getting stung by wasps from the nest I didn't find earlier?

Edited by agfckrowe 2018-07-29 9:09 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2018-07-29 11:02 AM (#171745 - in reply to #171743)
Subject: RE: recommendations on brand of deep cycle marine batteries?

Expert

Trojan Batteries... https://www.trojanbattery.com

You could contact Battery Watering Technologies...877-522-5431 Toll Free

http://www.batterywatering.com/products/kits/commercial-monoblock-kits/ 

Edited by PaulChristenson 2018-07-29 11:04 AM
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2018-07-29 2:23 PM (#171747 - in reply to #171743)

Expert

agfckrowe - 2018-07-29 8:47 AM I need a new pair of batteries and wondered if there is a brand that is superior than the others.  They will go on an 05  3 H LQ Platinum with a generator, large fridge, water heater, and AC. I am clueless, and my husband just goes to the local parts store in our small town and buys whatever they have. 
We don't use it enough, (trying to change that) and I will go up later and get the make and model of the charger/conditioner I researched and perchased several or more years ago. 
The batteries that were on there are 750 MCA, 600 CCA, 160 RC 95AH.  I have no idea if this is what's needed on for our LQ and to help start the generator.  
Also, this may sem like a dumb question but the way the batteries are mounted on the LQ makes it really hard to check their water levels.  Has anyone ever invented some type of "dipstick" or other way to to check the water level besides cramming my head in this little box sideways and getting stung by wasps from the nest I didn't find earlier?

I got Interstate batteries, three in one box at about eye level under the gooseneck on the bulkhead wall. This is an aluminum box that opens from the front. These batteries have a white case that is somewhat transparent. Catch the light just right and you can see the electrolite level. I have never had to add any fluid. Two batteries operate the trailer and the third is a dedicated battery for starting 4000 Onan that on the roof in the rear. Starting battery is the same deep cycle battery as the LQ batteries. I bet that starting battery cable is 50' long......  I don't recall the battery size, maybe I'll check when and if it ever stops raining.... It stopped raining, so here you go.....

Interstate marine/rv dual purpose
Battery model: HD24-DP
Marine cranking amps at 32 degrees, 505
Reserve capacity: 100 amps

Edited by retento 2018-07-29 2:40 PM
agfckrowe
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2018-07-29 3:13 PM (#171748 - in reply to #171743)

Just curious, why do you have a battery dedicated to starting your generator?  We have had generator issues for the past 8 years and its always difficult/slow to start even hooked up to electric.  That's probably a whole ;nuther issue, whole;nuhter post related to being a generac.  But I'm  just trying to learn here and curious.

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2018-07-29 3:43 PM (#171749 - in reply to #171748)

Expert

agfckrowe - 2018-07-29 3:13 PM Just curious, why do you have a battery dedicated to starting your generator?  We have had generator issues for the past 8 years and its always difficult/slow to start even hooked up to electric.  That's probably a whole ;nuther issue, whole;nuhter post related to being a generac.  But I'm  just trying to learn here and curious.

Seperate battery for starting generator so if you were to run the two LQ batteries down, you would still have a hot/live battery to start the generator, so as to recharge the two LQ batteries. Not all trailers are wired this way but this is how mine is and I like it this way. Works good.!!

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2018-07-30 5:13 AM (#171751 - in reply to #171745)

Expert

For many years I have been using Duralast marine, deep cycle batteries in our trailer LQs and boats. Most of our cars and truck also use the same brand as well. Over the past many decades I've tried  various brands, and now this one is working very well for durability and long life spans. They are available at Autozone stores.
Dbarnes72
Reg. Dec 2015
Posted 2018-07-30 5:49 PM (#171752 - in reply to #171743)

Regular

The battery watering system Paul linked to is probably your best reasonable solution.  It's too bad the manufacturers don't put more effort into this.  I had to bust the bottom out of my riveted in plastic battery boxes to change them out.  I have seen battery boxes as options from some brands that aren't the one I own that provide access to actually maintain the batteries.  I hate to think what it would cost to retrofit. As far as brand, I have had good luck with the brand that Walmart sells. Maxx Start or something like that.  They are usually produced by Johnson Controls. I'm comfortable with them. I run 'em in my tow vehicle also which is a battery eater.  I think it would be pretty tough to quantify which battery is Best in todays market. 

Edited by Dbarnes72 2018-07-30 5:50 PM