Trailer Brake Controller
arcwv
Reg. Jul 2018
Posted 2018-07-28 7:07 PM (#171741)
Subject: Trailer Brake Controller

New User

I recently bought a 1995 4S GN. I drive a 2010 F250. I plugged the GNs cable into my truck outlet and didn’t get a connected message and the trailer lights didn’t work. The seller thinks I need a trailer brake controller box installed in the cab. However I’ve been towing a bumper pull for several years without one. When I plug my BPs connector into my truck outlet, I get a message on the dash saying my trailer is connected. When I brake with the trailer connected I get a readout of how much brake I’m applying. I can also vary the amount of brake pressure using factory installed levers on my dash. Is there a difference between a TBC box installed in the truck cab and the system I’ve been using on my BP? Later after we talked about this I wondered if she had been using an older model truck that didn’t have a towing package. I suspect the trailer connection didn’t work because the trailer hasn’t been used in a very long time, and the battery on the trailer is old and dead and should be replaced. Any thoughts on this?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
beeoerdog
Reg. Jan 2014
Posted 2018-07-28 7:31 PM (#171742 - in reply to #171741)
Subject: RE: Trailer Brake Controller

Extreme Veteran

Sounds like your truck is working properly. Get a couple of small jumper wires and a spare battery. Jump from the battery to the trailer plug and see if the lights, etc work. Especially check that the ground is properly connected. https://horsetrailerworld.com/home/wiring.asp has the diagram for the proper location of the wires. Probably a simple fix.....maybe buy a new connector and start over at the trailer. A cheap 12v test light can verify the pins on the truck as to function.
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2018-07-29 7:26 PM (#171750 - in reply to #171741)
Subject: RE: Trailer Brake Controller

Expert

Arcwv … your truck has a built-in brake controller. You don't need another brake controller. (unless the GN trailer has hydraulic brakes.. Not likely) The GN trailer has a problem. It might be the connector or something else. The battery in the trailer is only used for emergency brakes or the living quarters. Nothing to do with the trailer lights or service brakes.

The above post is good advice. If you're not up to it, get someone familiar with auto wiring to look at it for you.