Registering a New Horse Trailer in Texas
Hanover
Reg. Sep 2017
Posted 2018-03-11 11:57 PM (#171393)
Subject: Registering a New Horse Trailer in Texas

I just bought a new trailer yesterday straight from the (out of state) manufacturer. I'm trying to figure out what I need to take to get the title, but the info online is extremely unclear (see blue text below). Does anyone who's gone through this process have any insights?

The MCO says shipping weight is 4150, but GVWR is blank. The trailer says GVWR is 9900 (but it's a 2 horse so I'd never be able to fill it that full). When they talk about gross weight below, do they meen GVWR or actual gross weight loaded with my (single) pony? How is the latter at all useful when I could so easily add another horse?

They say twice that a weigh certificate is required, do they mean that all trailers greater than 4500 must be weighed or only those without a weight on the certificate of origin? If the latter, does it need both shipping weight and GVWR?

Will they just accept that shipping weight/GVWR if I get the manufacturer to print it on the certificate of origin or will I have to get it weighed no matter what?

from the local tax office: 
  • Q. How do I title a new manufactured trailer?
    • A trailer with a gross weight in excess of 4000 pounds must be titled by law. Trailers with a gross weight less than 4000 pounds have the option of applying for title. 
    • Trailers with a gross weight of more than 7500 pounds must have a current, passing Vehicle Inspection Report (VIR). However, a $7.50 state Mobility /Clean Air fee will be added to the total registration fee for trailers with gross weights of 4501 to 7500 pounds.
    You will need:
    • Manufactured Certificate of Origin (MCO)
    • (Form 130-U) Application for Texas Certificate of Title 
    • A weight certificate if the weight is not indicated on MCO
    • A copy of a current, passing Vehicle Inspection Report (VIR) for trailers with gross weights over 7500 pounds. However, a $7.50 state Mobility /Clean Air fee will be added to the total registration fee for trailers with gross weights of 4501 to 7500 pounds.
    • A weight certificate is required if the gross weight is over 4500 lbs. 
    • Acceptable form of owner/applicant identification.
    •  

Edited by Hanover 2018-03-12 12:21 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page