Kiefer Built 1993
S4zeus
Reg. Jun 2017
Posted 2017-06-28 7:59 AM (#170159)
Subject: Kiefer Built 1993

New User

Hey! New here

I recently purchased a used 1993 Kiefer Built American Eagle 2 horse straight load. It's perfect for our needs but we have run into one problem. The butt bars seem to be too close to the back door. We have a large draft cross that hauls quietly but if he leans against the butt bar he can pop open the top doors. The ramp is obviously still secure so no risk of him coming out, but I've heard too many horror stories of people hauling with the back doors open and something funny happens (horse spooks, tries to rear/flip out, etc) too many years of working for the vet I suppose. We rigged it closed for the ride home but this isn't a permanent fix.

Has anyone had similar experiences? Any suggestions on modifications that can be made?

Thanks! Sarah
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Steve-O
Reg. Mar 2016
Posted 2017-06-28 1:11 PM (#170162 - in reply to #170159)
Subject: RE: Kiefer Built 1993

Veteran

Hard to say without seeing the problem but seems to me that Bolting an addittional latching mechanism to the outside of the doors may work.  
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2017-09-12 9:10 AM (#170613 - in reply to #170162)
Subject: RE: Kiefer Built 1993

Expert

Just keeping the doors shut will cause the horse to lean on them and they will bow.
Moving the butt bars or adding lots of padding so that the horse is held forward a few more inches might work.  I'd start with a few cheap pool noodles and move up as needed.
Horses commonly will lean back and sit on these butt bars, that's why they are so sturdy.  Same thing with chest bars or mangers, they'll lean into those to help themselves stop.  I'd bet in a draft you can feel when he moves his weight to the butt bar and chest bar.
Could he be sitting on the butt bar to give himself more room up front?  Get a camera rigged up and go for a ride, you'll figure out quickly what's happening back there and know how to help him out.