Insulating the supports
Mitzie
Reg. Jun 2017
Posted 2017-06-25 9:43 PM (#170144)
Subject: Insulating the supports

New User

I can not find any answers to how to insulate the supports that have a lip on each side. Each lip is about 3/4" and the support is about 2 1/2" wide. There is no way I can get the foam board in there. Should I use the aluminum bubble insulation? If I do, should I roll it and stuff in there filling the space solid or can I cut a piece just big enough to fit? I will tape it like I did the foam board. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
PDGx
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2017-06-26 9:02 AM (#170149 - in reply to #170144)
Subject: RE: Insulating the supports

Veteran

Are you talking about filling the support posts on the walls ?
If so - the trapped air in the post provides adequate insulation for that space in most climates.
If you are really wanting to fill it, use something like Great Stuff foam. You will need to drill a few holes along the post to inject it as it won't travel very far before it starts to expand.
shags
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2017-06-28 9:20 AM (#170160 - in reply to #170144)
Subject: RE: Insulating the supports

Regular

After I installed foil backed foam board on the walls, I taped foil bubblewrap type insulation over the supports. I didn't fill the supports with anything.  I used the thin silver tape found in the insulation dept of Lowes.  No problems with condensation over the studs.
Fair warning, I neglected to mark where the little 'lips' of the supports are when I put up the finish material, so now it's about impossible to find a place to put rivets or screws to hang shelves or hooks.  Don't repeat my mistake - make sure you can locate support if you'll need to hang stuff on your walls.