Shelton's Big Flat,AR
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2012-01-28 11:58 AM (#140361)
Subject: Shelton's Big Flat,AR

Expert

Has anybody been up here lately,and,do they still have someone to provide guided trail riding?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
cajunmuleman
Reg. Oct 2011
Posted 2012-02-05 3:29 PM (#140567 - in reply to #140361)
Subject: RE: Shelton's Big Flat,AR

Elite Veteran

I was hoping you would get a response. We havw ridden at Falling Water Horse camp in Pelsor, AR and really enjoyed it. We have been to Clinton mant times and several times to Lonesome D and enjoyed them as well but are always looking for new places to ride. This place looks good on the website, but have been tricked before. I wish someone would know. Happy Trails
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2012-02-06 1:08 PM (#140580 - in reply to #140567)

Expert

we have visited the camp by car before to check it out,is a very nice place,small but well set up.But,the trails are not marked.Most are in national forest,from what I understand.There is also a nice camp nearby here,but,it is primitive,but,there IS a trail guide there full time.I think that the person that guides at Shelton's does not actually work for them,if so,only part time.Unable to get a response both from Shawn Shelton on his website,and,inquiring others in the area about the guide availability.I don't relish going out on unmarked trails in terrain that is somewhat challenging,as this is,and not knowing where I am going or how to return to camp.That's why I posted the ?,but,without an answer so far.

we discovered a great camp also,north of Batesville,AR,called "Rafter D." Great host,you might want to check that website out also.I think that is primarily where we will be going,although for flat out scenery,there's no comparison,IMO,to riding on the Buffalo National River areas.

pooperscooper
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2012-02-06 1:49 PM (#140583 - in reply to #140361)

Veteran

We stayed there in 2010. Nice clean campsites, big stalls. The owner was very nice and accomadating. They don't ride themselves but they did mention a girl that would guide if we thought we might need it, I can't remember but thinking it was very pricey. We had a Trails Illustrated map and a gps and chose to ride by ourselves. We found the waterfall and the overlook. Rode 3 days and we didn't have any problems with getting lost. Just remember what roads are your boundaries. I think Shaun has alot of cattle and farms and she teaches. They are probably busy and since no one camps much this time of year probably not checking emails. Might want to call them.