Horse Trailer Depreciation?
blackcows
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2010-03-27 8:29 PM (#118067)
Subject: Horse Trailer Depreciation?

Extreme Veteran

In my experience, having owned several alluminum livestock trailers over the years, I think it's fair to say that an alluminum livestock trailers may depreciate some but most still sell for pretty close to their orginal price.  The new ones continue to cost more so the old ones hold their value.  I have a friend that has a 25 year old 24 foot alluminum stock trailer that has many miles but would probably still bring close to what he paid for it new 25 years ago.

As I search for a used 4 horse with an LQ I am trying to help justify the cost to myself by looking at it as somewhat of an investment, sure it won't increase in value but we will have a lot of fun with it when the kids are young and when I am done we will sell it for close to what we paid for it (at least I hope so).  As I have been looking for trailers over the past weeks it seems to me that the person that purchases a new horse trailer may see some serious depreciation but after the trailer is 3 or 4 years old it really seems to hold it's value well.  Do you think this is a fair assesment?  They don't seem to hold value as well as a stock trailer but again after a few years that don't depreciate much.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2010-03-28 9:33 AM (#118090 - in reply to #118067)
Subject: RE: Horse Trailer Depreciation?

Expert

A LQ trailer with a professionally installed LQ package, well maintained, all appliances working, .....what you said is a fair assessment.  Naturally a higher end package/trailer would be depreciated proportionately....also, regarding your feeling that this is an investment for the family, nothing could be more true..........years from now, sitting in the rocking chair, you and and family can reminisce over photos etc of the good times and adventures you had with your nice trailer......,you sure won't be saying you wished y'all had not had so many good times..........and money can't buy that.  Still, shop well, get what you can afford and pay for, , and works for YOUR situation, and take good care of it........you will not regret it!  Good luck and enjoy the search and purchase!
301duster
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-03-28 10:36 AM (#118094 - in reply to #118067)

Veteran

I'm gonna try to give an opinion on all 3 of your questions here. Mangers, I really like them. My trailer hauls horses only, therefore I don't need the room inside for anything else. I get my horses out and walk them while on long trips. Propane tanks will last for a long time. The bigger the fridge the shorter the time. I plug in at home so that things run off of AC when possible. Most of the lights and accessories inside run off of 12v DC. Exceptions are most TV's, microwave, fridge and air conditioner. Generators make 120v AC you have a converter to charge the batteries, much like a battery charger in your garage. I drain my tanks each weekend just to make sure I have plenty of room in them. I've filled them when on site and that's not fun. I don't winterize because we go all year. Use a ceramic heater to keep it warm in the winter. Depreciation, well my first two trailers were used and great trailers w/8' LQ's. Very comfy pulled them a couple years each and got 85% of my money out of them. Last summer had the opportunity to buy the trailer of my dreams and did it. Then spent the next month with buyers remorse for spending that kind of money. My first hometown rodeo in between perfs. I went in to get a break from the work and there was my 74 year old mother sitting in the recliner watching TV in the cool of the AC and I can assure you all buyers remorse went away in a hurry, never seen a uhaul behind a hearse, enjoy your trailer, enjoy your time with your family in it.
horsecamper
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2010-03-29 2:23 PM (#118153 - in reply to #118067)

Veteran

blackcow,  shop hard and well and I don't think that you will have any regrets.  I  shopped HTW everyday for seven years.  I bought my first LQ (small weekender) in 2005 and my second (10 ft LQ) just last year.  Everybody asked if I was going to get rid of the first one and I said, "Heck no, they're two different trailers for two different uses".  I, and some of the others here will say, make a list of every possbile feature that you have seen available on the trailers that you have reviewed.  Separate the list into categories like structural (dimensions and specifications), horse area, LQ area.  Then, on the list note whether the feature is, for you, required, preferred, or not necessary.  This check list, and the ad print outs of your potential trailers will make it easy for you to quickly know whether the trailer meets your requirements with out forgetting anything.  The ad print outs will help to recognize a good buy when you see it. This set up has worked for me.  No buyer regrets here!  It's a buyers market out there.
blackcows
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2010-03-29 2:40 PM (#118154 - in reply to #118153)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by horsecamper on 2010-03-29 2:23 PM
 I  shopped HTW everyday for seven years.

7 Years!  Oh no, I have spent the last two weeks looking for trailers and if I spend too much more time I think my wife will suggest when I find one I live in it.

Mike 

horsecamper
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2010-03-29 3:55 PM (#118159 - in reply to #118067)

Veteran

Mike,  Hilarious.  At least if you shop too long, it won't be the dog house that you'll be living in. 

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2010-03-30 10:48 PM (#118242 - in reply to #118067)

Expert

when  you find the right one you will be happy with it trust your self just make sure if fits  the horse you will have in it