shadow and keifer trailers
jcmptn1
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-07-08 5:34 PM (#87100)
Subject: shadow and keifer trailers

New User

Hello...I am looking to purchase a 2+1 or 3 horse slant and have been looking at both Shadow and Keifer trailers.  I would like to know any problems that you may have run into with these trailers and what you think of these brands.  thanks joyce
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-07-09 6:54 AM (#87115 - in reply to #87100)
Subject: RE: shadow and keifer trailers

Elite Veteran

I have an '03 2H GN slant w/ a weekend package and have been very happy with it.  I did buy it used 1.5 years ago.

However, I am in the middle of fixing a leak in the LQ.  Checked the AC and everything was fine there, put hydroderm on the roof seam in case it was leaking there, and last night recaulked all the windows. 

The rear drop down window on the left side is leaking, but we're not sure if that is causing the water to leak into the LQ.  We tightened up all the window screws, but that particular window doesn't seem to close quite as good as the other one...  it may need the rubber piece replaced.

I like that all the doors lock, good strong latches, hinges, solid trailer. I also like that the horse area roof is insulated which is important with the heat down here.  It's certainly not the top of the line, but it's what I could afford and it pulls good. 

There are quite popular here as they're made and sold in Ocala. 

add - I haven't taken it to the dealer due to distance (5 hour drive) and since it's 5 years old I figured it wouldn't be covered anyway).   

Edited by Dunoir 2008-07-09 1:06 PM
figero
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-07-09 8:48 AM (#87120 - in reply to #87100)

Regular

I have looked at both trailers and in my opinion the Kiefer is a much better built trailer.   I don't know how Shadow stands behind its product, Kiefer is first class after the sale.

ghbb41
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2008-07-09 11:02 AM (#87131 - in reply to #87100)

Veteran

I am on my second Kiefer with living quarters. I have had no issues and it seems to be a well built trailer. Mine does have the Carlslile tires. We plan to replace them soon.
Pleasure Man
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-07-09 12:23 PM (#87134 - in reply to #87100)

I am on my 2nd Keifer LQ trailer and have'nt had any problems.  EXCEPT the Carlisle tires that came on the current trailer. Keifer was AWESOME in handling that problem and they replaced the tires with HD Goodyear tires.  The 3 year hitch to bumper warranty is also GREAT.  I used the warranty a couple of times, and there were no questions asked!  My trailer is now 4 years old. 

EVERY brand can have its issues.  It's how the manufacturer stands behind their trailers and WHO your dealer is!!!!!  I would buy another Keifer.

jdaggy
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-07-09 2:05 PM (#87150 - in reply to #87100)

New User

I sell Shadow trailers and have been very happy with the quality and the factory support I have received. Shadow has always stood behind their product if there is a problem. There must be a reason Shadow just built a new & bigger plant in Williston Fl and just opened the doors this last Monday. No other trailer manufacturer has done that recently! I have sold for a number of years and never really like to talk badly about the competition. Rather I prefer to show you my product and let you decide. Here is a document I put together to tell you about Shaow trailers, you make the comparison.

Shadow Trailer Benefits

Shadow Trailers are all aluminum frames, skins, and floors. This creates a trailer that is very light weight , but strong , and can be pulled safely by a smaller lighter truck or SUV. Additionally, our trailers don’t rust and we don’t have different metals reacting to one another like other manufactures that have metal frames and aluminum skins. We build into our trailers many features that are standard, not expensive options like other trailer manufacturers such as; insulated ceilings in the horse box making it cooler in the summer, warmer in the winter, and no condensation dripping down on your horse either. We use 16” tires that are E-rated to carry the heavier load and are American made so if you do have a warranty issue you will be able to find a dealer to service you. Every light on our trailers are LED which are brighter, last longer, and draw less current from you vehicle. We use heavier axles sooner because bigger axles have larger bearings making your trailer pull down the road easier. We don’t use safety chains we use retractable cables making it easier to unhook your trailer. Our nose is still 8 ft. so when you back up your pickup you don’t have to get out to put up the tail gate before hooking up. Our electrical cable is molded so moisture can’t get around the contacts causing possible lighting problems. We have a rechargeable battery that you can test assuring that your emergency system is working properly. We have CAM Latch locks and handles which allow you to open the doors with one hand and one key opens all locks on the trailer. The window in the escape door is standard and the same size as the other drop down windows allowing maximum ventilation in the hottest stall in the trailer. The face guards are integrated to the window and can’t be pushed open by your horse. Our big bus windows are 19x53 and the screen slides back to allow 30% more air flow, these windows can be upgraded to drop down as well. We still use butt bars, not straps. The dividers are closed with automotive latches that close quietly and open easily even if your horse is leaning against it. The latest innovation is the “Extra Large Rear Tack”, which gives you at least 6 saddle racks, 29 head stall hooks, two brush boxes, 1-2 blanket holders, and two poles with hooks which the saddle racks fit onto and can then be placed in the tack stall. If you don’t need all the saddle racks you now have a lot of accessible storage space that nobody else has! The Extra Large Rear Tack is available in both our 7 & 8 wide trailers.

Shadow Trailers are made by horse people for horse people!
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-07-09 2:19 PM (#87151 - in reply to #87100)

Expert

I like those 19"x53" drop down windows on the sides of the Shadow trailers, I don't own a Shadow but if I did, it would have those big drop down windows!! That would work good up in the gooseneck area on those cool nights while camping!!

http://www.shadowtrailersales.com/showimage.asp?imageURL=uploads/32944HorseLQ016.JPG&notes=

OdhinnsMom
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2008-07-09 5:27 PM (#87163 - in reply to #87100)

I just purchased a 2002 Keifer trailer, and I absolutely *love* it. I looked a lot of trailers, both new and used, and felt that many of them just feel flimsy. I don't feel that about my keifer at all, and it has many really nice, thoughtful features that I didn't realize how great they were until I understood what they did. My horse who was a previously BAD loader and worried traveler walks into my trailer without a seconds hesitation and travels beautifully.
ghbb41
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2008-07-10 11:53 AM (#87209 - in reply to #87150)

Veteran

Hey, how did you get them to replace your tires?  I am a little leary every time we haul out.