Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-06-19 8:40 AM (#85966)
Subject: Drill Here, Drill Now, Pay Less

Elite Veteran

http://www.americansolutions.com/

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-06-19 9:30 AM (#85970 - in reply to #85966)
Subject: RE: Drill Here, Drill Now, Pay Less

Expert

On target ...
DaveM
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-06-19 9:36 AM (#85971 - in reply to #85970)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by hosspuller on 2008-06-19 9:30 AM

On target ...

I couldn't resist.  Ownership has it's privileges

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-06-19 9:42 AM (#85973 - in reply to #85966)

Expert

The oil companies presently have hundreds of thousands of acres of leased property that are sitting unused for drilling. If we were to open up all our shorelines and protected areas, it would be five to ten years before any of this oil would make its way to our economy. It would not ease our present pain at all. In fact, it is estimated that those reserves would last less than 2 1/2 years at our present rate of consumption.

We need to develop alternative fuels and not just corn. Nuclear, wind, solar etc. We need energy efficient vehicles, and less dependence on oil. The world's demand for oil grows every day, because it's a relatively inexpensive source of energy. But it's a finite product, and while we may not see the end of the well, our children might.

Our days of cheap gas are over. Many parts of the world have experienced this reality for some time. Only when it hits our pocket books do we look up and take notice. We have ignored the warnings of experts for some time now. Now we can no longer do so.

Gard

Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2008-06-19 9:51 AM (#85976 - in reply to #85966)

Extreme Veteran

Okay, I have to start by saying that I am quite ignorant about a lot of this.  I have been reading a lot lately about drilling in the ANWR where it is said that there is enough oil to fuel America for the next 400 years.  And they would only need to drill on about 1/10 of .01% of the ANWR. 

I am all for environmental responsibility, but what about our government's fiscal responsibility to it's citizens?  We are throwing trillions of dollars at foreign countries when we could be spending that money and creating jobs right here at home.

In the coal mining regions of KY, the companies are allowed to mine for X-number of years and then must "replenish" the site with soil and indigenous trees and plants.  They have even PLANTED thistles (I have a few hundred I'd like to donate from my fence rows) and other plants to attract birds.

Maybe I am naive about all of this, but couldn't something like that work in the ANWR?

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-06-19 10:10 AM (#85978 - in reply to #85966)

Expert

gard -you are totally wrong here.  If we had been drilling in ANWR since Bill Clinton vetoed it in 1994-'95, since 2003 -- had we begun drilling back in the mid-nineties -- one million barrels of oil would have been on the market for use by us but instead that and 85% of the coastline is off limits to oil exploration. There is no truth to the assertion that oil reserves would be depleated within a few years. Far, far from it. In the name of the environment we haven't bulit a new refinery in some 30 years,capacity is down,demand is up...the only long term solution is MORE energy, not less.

Alternative engery is myth and a huge bust. Wind and solar is extremely inefficent. Ethenol is a inferior fuel that has a lower MPG and higher polluatnts than fossil fuels.

Your arguement that drilling now won't have an immediate impact is hog wash. its that attitude that has gotten us to this point in the first place.Instead of looking toward the future and the obvious needs to of a growing ecomony and mantaining our standard of living,stupid polticians and voters sacrificed this country in the name of the enivroment. Drill now...and keep on drilling right here, right now.

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/VictorDavisHanson/2008/06/12/do_the_right_thing_start_drilling!

DaveM
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-06-19 10:22 AM (#85979 - in reply to #85973)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by gard on 2008-06-19 9:42 AM

The oil companies presently have hundreds of thousands of acres of leased property that are sitting unused for drilling. If we were to open up all our shorelines and protected areas, it would be five to ten years before any of this oil would make its way to our economy. It would not ease our present pain at all. In fact, it is estimated that those reserves would last less than 2 1/2 years at our present rate of consumption.

We need to develop alternative fuels and not just corn. Nuclear, wind, solar etc. We need energy efficient vehicles, and less dependence on oil. The world's demand for oil grows every day, because it's a relatively inexpensive source of energy. But it's a finite product, and while we may not see the end of the well, our children might.

Our days of cheap gas are over. Many parts of the world have experienced this reality for some time. Only when it hits our pocket books do we look up and take notice. We have ignored the warnings of experts for some time now. Now we can no longer do so.

Gard

Much of the current rise in gas is due from speculation buyers and the knowledge from oil countries that we are "captive" markets.  Simply agreeing to increased drilling sends a message to the speculators that their prices from the current speculation will not continue, and that supply and demand will not hold up in future markets.  As many of you know, speculators buy and sell based on futures. 

It also sends a strong message to those with oil that the "golden goose" will not be around forever for them to fleece.

And yes, we CANNOT drill our way out of this, and we need alternatives so we're not captive to one form of energy like we've become accustomed.

But you have to start somewhere . . . you have to move in several directions . . . and you can't wait for perfect solutions. 

And we can agree to disagree on this thread . . no problem.  If the powers to be had an answer, we wouldn't be in this situation.  We're all trying to find answers - and I, for one, just want to have my discontent heard - and make a positive suggestion on what we might do while we wait.

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-06-19 11:05 AM (#85981 - in reply to #85966)

Expert

Drilling on the North Slope is a con...If you are interested check where most of the oil from Alaska actually goes...It does NOT come to US refineries...

And for what an oil company pays for an offshore lease is a JOKE...I could pay for some on my credit card and not dent my credit limit...

And when it comes to paying their fair share...Check out to see what if anything MOBIL/EXXON has ever paid for the Exxon Valdez Spill...

Edited by PaulChristenson 2008-06-19 11:09 AM
TIMEIT
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-06-19 11:23 AM (#85983 - in reply to #85966)

It was reported on FoxNews this morning that the Dems want to take over the refineries, what do ya think?
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-06-19 11:29 AM (#85984 - in reply to #85983)

Expert

Originally written by TIMEIT on 2008-06-19 12:23 PM

It was reported on FoxNews this morning that the Dems want to take over the refineries, what do ya think?

Hey...It worked for Hugo Chavez...

KeepsakeFarm
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-06-19 11:48 AM (#85986 - in reply to #85966)

Veteran

I agree with Paul. 

I believe that we will have to find a safe way to utilize more nuclear, wind, and hydro-electric power.  The europeans are way ahead of us.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-06-19 12:35 PM (#85989 - in reply to #85978)

Expert

Originally written by farmbabe on 2008-06-19 11:10 AM

gard -you are totally wrong here. Alternative energy is myth and a huge bust. Wind and solar is extremely inefficent. Ethenol is a inferior fuel that has a lower MPG and higher polluatnts than fossil fuels.

Your arguement that drilling now won't have an immediate impact is hog wash. its that attitude that has gotten us to this point in the first place.

Farmbabe

And a great hog wash to you. I guess our nuclear fueled power plants don't exist? Neither do the wind farms? And the solar fields are strictly our imagination? You might want to check the latest senate sub committee's report on available fuel sources. Please have a nice day.

Gard

RAM.CTD
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-06-19 12:49 PM (#85991 - in reply to #85966)

New User

IMO, I think we should be doing more with hydrogen as a fuel, just for the simple fact that it is very easy to produce. Just don't fill your dirigible with it!
DaveM
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-06-19 1:08 PM (#85993 - in reply to #85991)

Elite Veteran

Wind mills and solar do exist.  That's not the point.  These alternatives have a long way to go to make an immediate impact, that's all we're saying.  I can generate electricity with a hand crank, they exist too - but I don't think hand cranked generators are going to have a big impact on the U.S. energy needs anytime soon.

And when was the last nuclear plant built in the U.S.?

muleskinner
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-06-19 1:23 PM (#85996 - in reply to #85973)

Regular

Yep Gard,your correct,all the big Duallies and living Qtr. trailers will become boat anchors, and then we can go back to camping the way it used to be,a horse,campfire and a bedroll,
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-06-19 1:24 PM (#85997 - in reply to #85993)

Expert

I can't answer that one,but,if McCain is elected,he's proposed about 30 of them be built right off the bat.
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-06-19 1:34 PM (#85998 - in reply to #85966)

Expert

As long as the left wing wack jobs(see above) ideas are in play then we will never get the problem fixed. If we annouce that we are going to drill in ANWAR oil prices will fall the next day, because they are speculating on "future supply", "not current supply". The best way to describe ANWAR is take the New York Times newspaper and unfold it and lay it out flat. That is ANWAR then find an "O" on the pages somewhere, that represents the 2,000 acres that would be disrupted for drilling. So explain to me now, how that will stop the reproduction of Moose. As far as the ethanol that's a joke, the US government subsidises every gallon of E85 by $1.40 and it takes 8 tenths of a gallon of fossil fuel to produce 1 gallon of ethanol. The folks in Iowa are riding a title wave of DC cash all the way to the bank on this one, is it their fault?, no way if the stupid Government is dumb enought to come up with the program you can't blame the farmer for participating. I haven't found a windmill yet that will power my Duramax but if you know of one put me on it Mr. Enviromental Wackjob.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-06-19 2:40 PM (#86003 - in reply to #85966)

Expert

Dave you are right- so called alternatives do exist but its a myth they can't even start replacing our engery needs.

This from-

Junk Science: A Green Sings the Renewable Energy Blues

Monday, July 30, 2007

'..........If you could collect the average annual rainfall of the 900,000-square-kilometer Canadian province of Ontario — about 680,000 billion liters of water — and store it behind a dam 60 meters tall, you would produce about 11,000 Megawatts of electricity — which is only about 80 percent of the output of Canada’s 25 nuclear power stations, Ausubel says.

In other words, this works out to a power production rate of 0.012 watts per square meter of land. It would take 1 square kilometer of land to provide enough electricity for about 12 Canadians, according to Ausubel, who says this inefficiency is a key reason for the reduced demand for hydroelectric power.

Biomass is an even worse renewable source of energy than hydroelectric power in terms of ecological harm.

Large-scale power generation from biomass would require that “vast areas be shaved or harvested annually,” Ausubel says. It would take 2,500 square kilometers of prime Iowa farmland to produce as much electricity from biomass as from a single nuclear power plant.

“Increased use of biomass fuel in any form is criminal,” Ausubel stated in a media release. “Every automobile would require a pasture of 1-2 hectares.” He added.

Wind power? While it’s much less land intensive than biomass, that’s not saying much. A 770-square-kilometer area would only produce as much electricity as a single 1,000 Megawatt nuclear plant.

A wind farm the size of Texas would be required to extract, store and transport annual U.S. energy needs. “Every square meter of Connecticut” would have to be turned into a wind farm to provide all of New York City’s electricity demands.

Solar power is also quite a land hog. As photovoltaic cells are only 10 percent efficient and have seen no breakthroughs in 30 years, U.S. electric consumption would require a 150,000-square kilometer area of photovoltaics, plus additional land for electricity storage and retrieval.

The photovoltaic industry would have to step up its production by 600,000 times to produce the same amount of power as that generated by single 1,000 Megawatt nuclear plant...."

Drill now...

<script language=javascript _extended="true">function farkItButton(h, u, s) { if (!IsDef(h)) { if (IsDef(window.fark_headline)) { h = window.fark_headline; } else { h = ''; } } u = unescape(location.href); var img = 'FarkItButton2_16x16.gif'; imgw = 16; imgh = 16; document.write('');}function IsDef(variable) { return (!(!( variable||false )))}function GetThis(T, C, U, L){ var targetUrl = 'http://www.myspace.com/Modules/PostTo/Pages/?' + 't=' + encodeURIComponent(T) + '&c=' + encodeURIComponent(C) + '&u=' + encodeURIComponent(U) + '&l=' + L; window.open(targetUrl);}
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-06-19 3:58 PM (#86011 - in reply to #85966)

Expert

Before any more chest pounding is contemplated, please read the following link: 

http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1815884,00.html?referer=sphere_related_content&referer=sphere_related_content

Gard

Edited by gard 2008-06-19 4:15 PM
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-06-19 4:22 PM (#86012 - in reply to #86011)

Expert

Originally written by gard on 2008-06-19 3:58 PM

Before any more chest pounding is contemplated, please read the following link: 

http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1815884,00.html?referer=sphere_related_content&referer=sphere_related_content

Gard

That story was tilted as far left as you can tilt a story about drilling in ANWAR, but seeing as how it came from the same folks that disrespected the Veterans of Iwo Jima, by having them hoist a tree in the air a couple months ago I can understand how they have this so wrong also. You all keep living under a tree and we will all be speaking Chinese before you know it.

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-06-19 8:15 PM (#86019 - in reply to #85966)

Expert

Some of the post have hinted at the solution I see...

It is NOT More drilling, It is not Wind power, It is Not Nuclear, It is Not Biomass, It is Not waste fryer oil, It is not conservation, ....

It (the energy solution for us) is .....

All the above and More.  Our society needs allot of energy to provide the life style that we have become accustomed to.  The waste oil burners that crow about driving their diesel for less than a $1/ gal will cry a river if all diesel fuel was sourced from McDonald's.  There is just not enough of any single source to keep our country operating.  We should not lock away any energy source unless we want to go back to the 8th century lifestyle.  Expensive energy will create jobs and opportunities along with great pain.  Not using any of our resources will prolong the pain.

Drill more, Drill here, Drill Now!

Build nuclear plants, build them well, build them in my town. (I'd even live next to one, if they let me ride my horse around the plant)

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-06-19 9:17 PM (#86022 - in reply to #85966)

Expert

Environmental arguments aside, here are the dirty little secrets no one talks about with regard to domestic drilling.

Oil companies have not utilized the leases they have now

Why open up new areas to drilling when oil companies hold over 4,000 undeveloped leases in the western Gulf of Mexico? What’s more, the government already leases 44 million acres offshore, of which only 10.5 million—or one quarter—are producing oil or gas.

There isn’t enough drilling equipment.

Due to the high price of oil, existing drilling ships are “booked solid for the next five years,” and demand for deepwater rigs has driven up the price of such ships. Oil companies just don’t have the resources to explore oil fields in the OCS.

We can’t refine the oil we would extract.

In his speech yesterday, President Bush noted that, “Refineries are the critical link between crude oil and the gasoline and diesel fuel that drivers put in their tanks.” Yet refineries are already so stretched that last year, the United States had to import almost 150 million barrels of gasoline. The Wall Street Journal reported oil companies are not building new refineries because it would be bad for their bottom line. “Building a new refinery from scratch, Exxon believes, would be bad for long-term business.”

Edited by PaulChristenson 2008-06-19 9:18 PM
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-06-19 10:14 PM (#86028 - in reply to #86022)

Expert

they is two problems- one the refiners are setting the price with speculation pricing  they have the head quarters in England were the rule do not count-- two the refiner have oil in storage they hold back for a better price. so more oil will not bring the price down. if you wont it and I have it you will pay me for it . that is free trade go as far as the market will bear
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-06-19 10:28 PM (#86030 - in reply to #85966)

Expert

On tonight's news was a piece about ANWR. It stated that if Congress, which is now in session  considering this proposal, approved drilling within the oil reserves today, it would take 10 (ten) years before any resulting production could be available for consumption.

How is this is going to immediately lessen our present costs?

Living near a nuclear power plant is no big deal. Because "the not in my backyard folks" have objected to any new construction, the industry's growth has stalled. I wonder if energy starved people will now reconsider.

Gard

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-06-19 10:30 PM (#86031 - in reply to #86022)

Expert

Originally written by PaulChristenson on 2008-06-19 8:17 PM

Environmental arguments aside, here are the dirty little secrets no one talks about with regard to domestic drilling.

Why open up new areas to drilling when oil companies hold over 4,000 undeveloped leases in the western Gulf of Mexico? What’s more, the government already leases 44 million acres offshore, of which only 10.5 million—or one quarter—are producing oil or gas.

A poor reason against more leases. Not all holes produce oil.  Of the holes that produce oil, not all produce in commercial quantities.  A hole has to produce a lot of oil or gas to make a production rig profitable. 

In my old home town, people would drill gas wells.  If they were lucky, their well would produce enough gas for a home.  But the wells were not profitable enough for a commercial well.

There isn't enough drilling equipment.

Due to the high price of oil, existing drilling ships are “booked solid for the next five years,” and demand for deepwater rigs has driven up the price of such ships. Oil companies just don't have the resources to explore oil fields in the OCS.

Not enough equipment or oil today.  Tomorrow's incremental addition is still an additional resource.  Thinking in the short term got us in this squeeze.

We can't refine the oil we would extract.

In his speech yesterday, President Bush noted that, “Refineries are the critical link between crude oil and the gasoline and diesel fuel that drivers put in their tanks.” Yet refineries are already so stretched that last year, the United States had to import almost 150 million barrels of gasoline. The Wall Street Journal reported oil companies are not building new refineries because it would be bad for their bottom line. “Building a new refinery from scratch, Exxon believes, would be bad for long-term business.”

Oil is fungible.  It can be refined anywhere and product transported if the costs allow a profit.  Additional supply will go to meeting demand.  The argument that Alaska's oil goes to the far east is a similar red herring.  So what... Canada's oil goes to the refineries in North Dakota and then to the west coast.

Drill here, drill now.  Build nuke plants. Mine tar sands.  Gasify Coal.  Build wind farms off the coast of NE,  Research other energy.  Let the risk takers take the risks in hopes of getting rich.  Gov't has a terrible record of failure.  Do we want to repeat the Russian experiance? 

Do it all now!

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-06-20 4:44 AM (#86036 - in reply to #86030)

Expert

Originally written by gard on 2008-06-19 10:28 PM

On tonight's news was a piece about ANWR. It stated that if Congress, which is now in session  considering this proposal, approved drilling within the oil reserves today, it would take 10 (ten) years before any resulting production could be available for consumption.

How is this is going to immediately lessen our present costs?

#1 If Clinton hadn't stop them from drilling 11 years ago we would be seeing that oil now.

#2 The price of oil is not based on what's coming out of the ground today, it's speculative price based on what's going to be available in the "future" that's why it's called a "futures" market. 

Longrider
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-06-20 6:36 AM (#86041 - in reply to #86036)

Extreme Veteran

HW - I have to jump in here.  It was George HW Bush who signed the bill into law in 1990, Clinton didn't come into the white house until January 1993.  Yeah, I know I'm tilting heavily to the left because now I'm placing the blame on poor old Dubya's daddy.  Do your homework!!!

Edited by Longrider 2008-06-20 7:10 AM
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-06-20 7:05 AM (#86043 - in reply to #85966)

Expert

Hey!! Ya can't drill just yet, UAE hasn't finished their new islands!! This is where some of your gas dollars are going. Enjoy!!

http://uaeinteract.com/news/default.asp?ID=230

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lXclgws7n8

http://www.youtube.com/user/uaememories

Racing, anyone?  http://www.dubaiworldcup.com/

Watch this last one, if you don't watch anything else...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3smclK8u6k

Edited by retento 2008-06-20 7:14 AM
wyndancer
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2008-06-20 7:20 AM (#86044 - in reply to #86030)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by gard on 2008-06-19 10:28 PM

On tonight's news was a piece about ANWR. It stated that if Congress, which is now in session considering this proposal, approved drilling within the oil reserves today, it would take 10 (ten) years before any resulting production could be available for consumption.

How is this is going to immediately lessen our present costs?

Living near a nuclear power plant is no big deal. Because "the not in my backyard folks" have objected to any new construction, the industry's growth has stalled. I wonder if energy starved people will now reconsider.

Gard

It will have an effect in the futures market.

The only reason the futures market, yes those nasty speculators, is trending upward is that they feel uncomfortable about future supply.

Same effect the futures market is having with corn at this very minute.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-06-20 8:37 AM (#86049 - in reply to #85966)

Expert

It will be very interesting to see, if in fact Congress does reverse the ban on drilling in ANWR, how much the cost of gas drops. I'm willing to bet, that the futures market not withstanding, it will do little to effect the long term cost at the pump after the announcement. There may be a temporary spike, but our cost of gas will never be again, even close to its previous price.

We cannot drill ourselves out of more expensive energy costs, or expect them to magically go away, by trying to change the minds of speculators. We are in for some irrevocable, long term changes in our lifestyles, and all the protests to the contrary will have little affect.

Gard

Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-06-20 8:39 AM (#86050 - in reply to #85966)

Just the threat of drilling will affect prices. And for those that say it will not hit the market for 10 years....what alternative can make the needed impact much sooner? The major oil companies are meeting in Iraq for the possibility of being able to go into Iraq again...prices come down. OPEC meets...reports say demand is down...they are going to increase production...prices come down. It is all just a political game that we are having to be a spectator in. In the mean time the Democrats and Republicans argue and accomplish....NOTHING!

As far as alternatives...we are years away on those also. There is not an alternative that will have an impact now. Every available option needs to be pursued relentlessly and that includes drilling.

We are the greatest country in the world, and the most that we can get done is argue about it. So far...we are still arguing and doing nothing. And we will continue to argue and any solution is still 10 years away.

Open up the leases and drill now, build nuclear energy plants, use clean burning coal technology, build wind farms on the coasts and in the plains, more hydro, more natural gas, more everything, but DO IT NOW!

Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-06-20 8:43 AM (#86051 - in reply to #86049)

Gard - I am not asking for $1 gas, or even $2 gas. I would just be happy with it leveling off. Everyone has accepted the fact that cheap gas is over. It should have been a long time ago.
KeepsakeFarm
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-06-20 8:51 AM (#86053 - in reply to #85966)

Veteran

I want the car manufacturers to make cars that get better gas mileage.  I had an early Civic hatchback and then later, a MX6 sports car that both got over 40 MPG on the highway and now I can't find anything except a hybrid that gets that.  There's something wrong with this.  I've been saying for several years that I would wait until there was a car I wanted and then buy it.  I'm still waiting.  Volvo and others are bringing over the car styles that they sell in Europe (I really like the C30 but the mileage is still low) so maybe there will be a change on that front in the next few years. 

Also, China finally raised the price of fuel over there which should lessen their demand some. 

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-06-20 8:55 AM (#86055 - in reply to #86051)

Expert

Why? Would you say the same thing about food prices,that cheap food should have been over a long time ago,in order for farmers to make more profits? When it is clear that the middle man is the one that makes the profits,just as the oil companies that have reported such huge profits.I guess I don't get it.
Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-06-20 9:11 AM (#86059 - in reply to #86055)

What I am saying is that percentages are in line. Just as they should be in any business making a profit. You have to make a certain percentage of profit for it to be reasonable. What everyone looks at is that so and so made 11 billion. What they don't look at is it took 110 billion worth of sales to do it. Is that a reasonable profit? If it was my money invested, I would say yes. It is only huge because of the dollar amount invested. If I only wanted to make...say 5%, I could put it in a safer market. Or I could have absolutely no risk and put it in a savings account and earn 3.5% If it was your money invested to make sales of 110 billion and you stood to lose your investment....what percentage would be fair for you?
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-06-20 9:17 AM (#86061 - in reply to #85966)

Expert

Excellent response!
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-06-20 9:26 AM (#86062 - in reply to #86041)

Expert

Originally written by Longrider on 2008-06-20 6:36 AM

HW - I have to jump in here.  It was George HW Bush who signed the bill into law in 1990, Clinton didn't come into the white house until January 1993.  Yeah, I know I'm tilting heavily to the left because now I'm placing the blame on poor old Dubya's daddy.  Do your homework!!!

Homework work done, read it and weep...........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic_Refuge_drilling_controversy

You really need to quit reading that George Zoros left wing babble.

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-06-20 9:37 AM (#86064 - in reply to #86053)

Expert

Originally written by KeepsakeFarm on 2008-06-20 7:51 AM

I want the car manufacturers to make cars that get better gas mileage. 

KSF ... The only thing that keeps Ford, GM et al, from selling great small cars in America is US.  WE would rather buy the SUV.  The big three have competed in Europe's small car market for generations.  But WE BUY massive gas guzzlers.  The Japanese have an advantage as their markets are totally small cars.  They had to adapt their designs to our want.  Meaning that Toyota builds a larger car for the US market.

Longrider
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-06-20 9:47 AM (#86065 - in reply to #86062)

Extreme Veteran

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,368221,00.html

Try this one HW - and you should stop believing everything that Rush and Shawn blast out over the airwaves.

Edited by Longrider 2008-06-20 9:57 AM
muleskinner
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-06-20 10:15 AM (#86067 - in reply to #86050)

Regular

Originally written by Tresvolte on 2008-06-20 8:39 AM

Just the threat of drilling will affect prices. And for those that say it will not hit the market for 10 years....what alternative can make the needed impact much sooner? The major oil companies are meeting in Iraq for the possibility of being able to go into Iraq again...prices come down. OPEC meets...reports say demand is down...they are going to increase production...prices come down. It is all just a political game that we are having to be a spectator in. In the mean time the Democrats and Republicans argue and accomplish....NOTHING!

As far as alternatives...we are years away on those also. There is not an alternative that will have an impact now.Every available option needs to be pursued relentlessly and that includes drilling.

We are the greatest country in the world, and the most that we can get done is argue about it.So far...we are still arguing and doing nothing. And we will continue to argue and any solution is still 10 years away.

Open up the leases and drill now,build nuclear energy plants, use clean burning coal technology, build wind farms on the coasts and in the plains, more hydro, more natural gas, more everything, but DO IT NOW!

The citizens get it,but the politicans are like crabs in a barrel,they rip and claw and pull each other apart so that no one succeeds,and the citizens continue to suffer,because of this gridlock.most of the politicians in D. C. or worthless as a pile of rat-droppings.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-06-20 10:40 AM (#86068 - in reply to #86049)

Expert

Originally written by gard on 2008-06-20 8:37 AM

It will be very interesting to see, if in fact Congress does reverse the ban on drilling in ANWR, how much the cost of gas drops. I'm willing to bet, that the futures market not withstanding, it will do little to effect the long term cost at the pump after the announcement. There may be a temporary spike, but our cost of gas will never be again, even close to its previous price.

We cannot drill ourselves out of more expensive energy costs, or expect them to magically go away, by trying to change the minds of speculators. We are in for some irrevocable, long term changes in our lifestyles, and all the protests to the contrary will have little affect.

Gard

Of course we can drill ourselves out of this just as well go ourselves into this by NOT drilling!! We are America for gosh sakes- we invented higher standards of living by doing what other nations didn't,couldn't or wouldn't. We bulit the dams,highways,cities,airports,schools,hospitals..you name it-we are who we are because we took a long term approach to raising the standard of living for everyone. Now we have a serious problem brought on by people who don't want the problem solved- namely gutless, cowardly liberals ( and far too many republicans) who love a crisis since it gives them power- to tax and regulate but not to solve a problem.

Enivornmentalist have gotten it wrong everytime they proclaim yet another impending disaster, their track record is terrible yet there are some who still buy into their crap.

Lets review-1969, environmentalist Nigel Calder warned, "The threat of a new ice age must now stand alongside nuclear war as a likely source of wholesale death and misery for mankind."

C.C. Wallen of the World Meteorological Organization said, "The cooling since 1940 has been large enough and consistent enough that it will not soon be reversed."

In 1968, Professor Paul Ehrlich, Vice President Gore's hero and mentor, predicted there would be a major food shortage in the U.S. and "in the 1970s ... hundreds of millions of people are going to starve to death." Ehrlich forecasted that 65 million Americans would die of starvation between 1980 and 1989, and by 1999 the U.S. population would have declined to 22.6 million. Ehrlich's predictions about England were gloomier: "If I were a gambler, I would take even money that England will not exist in the year 2000."

In 1972, a report was written for the Club of Rome warning the world would run out of gold by 1981, mercury and silver by 1985, tin by 1987 and petroleum, copper, lead and natural gas by 1992. Gordon Taylor, in his 1970 book "The Doomsday Book," said Americans were using 50 percent of the world's resources and "by 2000 they [Americans] will, if permitted, be using all of them." In 1975, the Environmental Fund took out full-page ads warning, "The World as we know it will likely be ruined by the year 2000."

Ok- do you get it yet? We are not running out of oil...we need to go get it. We can solve this problem, we just have get started....

Edited by farmbabe 2008-06-20 10:42 AM
Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-06-20 1:11 PM (#86077 - in reply to #85966)

Interesting reading about oil companies profits....8.5 to 9.3 cents per dollar profit...Microsoft was 27 cents per dollar profit.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/04/29/markets/thebuzz/

wyndancer
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2008-06-20 2:06 PM (#86081 - in reply to #86053)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by KeepsakeFarm on 2008-06-20 8:51 AM

I want the car manufacturers to make cars that get better gas mileage. I had an early Civic hatchback and then later, a MX6 sports car that both got over 40 MPG on the highway and now I can't find anything except a hybrid that gets that. There's something wrong with this.

One thing people have forgotten about is this. There is a cost of regulation.

Think about our beloved diesel fuel. EPA has mandated that diesel have no more than 15 parts per million of sulfur.

Why was the standard lowered? Because of fine particulate pollution.....soot. As somebody referenced on this site previously, it doesn't cost too awful much to get diesel below 500ppm, not much to get to 100ppm....but it costs $$$ to get below 15ppm.

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-06-20 3:36 PM (#86085 - in reply to #86031)

Expert

Originally written by hosspuller on 2008-06-19 11:30 PM

Originally written by PaulChristenson on 2008-06-19 8:17 PM

A poor reason against more leases. Not all holes produce oil.  Of the holes that produce oil, not all produce in commercial quantities.  A hole has to produce a lot of oil or gas to make a production rig profitable. 

In my old home town, people would drill gas wells.  If they were lucky, their well would produce enough gas for a home.  But the wells were not profitable enough for a commercial well.

There isn't enough drilling equipment.

Due to the high price of oil, existing drilling ships are “booked solid for the next five years,” and demand for deepwater rigs has driven up the price of such ships. Oil companies just don't have the resources to explore oil fields in the OCS.

Not enough equipment or oil today.  Tomorrow's incremental addition is still an additional resource.  Thinking in the short term got us in this squeeze.

Oil is fungible.  It can be refined anywhere and product transported if the costs allow a profit.  Additional supply will go to meeting demand.  The argument that Alaska's oil goes to the far east is a similar red herring.  So what... Canada's oil goes to the refineries in North Dakota and then to the west coast.

Drill here, drill now.  Build nuke plants. Mine tar sands.  Gasify Coal.  Build wind farms off the coast of NE,  Research other energy.  Let the risk takers take the risks in hopes of getting rich.  Gov't has a terrible record of failure.  Do we want to repeat the Russian experiance? 

Do it all now!

They are mining coal tar in Canada...the break-even price is over $44/bbl...i.e. is oil sells for less than that it is not economical to do it...

Nuclear power has never recovered from Three Mile Island...Everyone now says go nuclear...right up until they discover they want to build the plan in their area...

Air emissions from IGCC gasification plants are far below U.S. Clean Air Standards. Sulfur removal and emissions of sulfur dioxide, NOX and carbon monoxide are far below normal coal fired power plants, incinerators, combustors and most other gasifiers. However, they still contribute significantly to the "greenhouse effect" because all the gases they emit are new greenhouse gases.

I have heard elsewhere that people want a "Manhatten Project" effort on this problem...The very people who ask for this have NO CLUE as to what the TOTAL COST of the ORIGINAL MAHATTEN PROJECT WAS!!!...$5.00/gallon gas is cheap in comparison......The SUPERFUND SITES in WA and CO are still being paid for by the US Government and will be for QUITE A LONG TIME

Unfortunately, The only legitimate short term solution is CONSERVATION...

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-06-20 3:39 PM (#86087 - in reply to #86062)

Expert

Originally written by HWBar on 2008-06-20 10:26 AM

Originally written by Longrider on 2008-06-20 6:36 AM

Homework work done, read it and weep...........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic_Refuge_drilling_controversy

You really need to quit reading that George Zoros left wing babble.

For the average case, drilling in ANWR would reduce crude oil by 75 cents, out of a current $130, in 2025. This amounts to about a 0.5% change. The total production from ANWAR would be, in 2024, approximately 1% of the United States needs.

Edited by PaulChristenson 2008-06-20 3:41 PM
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-06-20 3:49 PM (#86088 - in reply to #86064)

Expert

Originally written by hosspuller on 2008-06-20 10:37 AM

Originally written by KeepsakeFarm on 2008-06-20 7:51 AM

I want the car manufacturers to make cars that get better gas mileage. 

KSF ... The only thing that keeps Ford, GM et al, from selling great small cars in America is US.  WE would rather buy the SUV.  The big three have competed in Europe's small car market for generations.  But WE BUY massive gas guzzlers.  The Japanese have an advantage as their markets are totally small cars.  They had to adapt their designs to our want.  Meaning that Toyota builds a larger car for the US market.

absolutely correct!!!

figero
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-06-20 4:29 PM (#86091 - in reply to #85966)

Regular

Drill here, drill now makes the most sense to me when I consider that if we increase by 1 million barrels per day (the number everyone is talking about ) at $125 per barrel.  That keeps about $45 Billion home and out of the hands of people who just don't like us. this would help with the value of the dollar and further bring down the price of fuel.  Along with the cost of gas and diesel, I am looking at fuel oil this winter of about $5,000.00 ( 1,000 gallons @ $5.00 per)for the season. This amounts to 5   times ten years ago.  Before you start I have new high tech windows and max insulation in my roof. I am having a guy out this summer to check out the walls. Be mad at the oil companies for making profits but the government tax us at 3 times that ammount.
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-06-20 7:08 PM (#86093 - in reply to #85966)

Elite Veteran

Anyone care to join me for a beautiful cyber glass of Merlot?

I understand the frustration with gas prices.......but sometimes we need to relax and enjoy the moment........I'm going to take a deep breath and take an evening walk down to the pastures and watch my horses graze while the sun sets. Humbling........
Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-06-20 7:40 PM (#86094 - in reply to #86093)

I'm not much on the Merlot, but I think you're on to something. I'm about to try to rope one. Humbling.
TIMEIT
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-06-20 8:31 PM (#86096 - in reply to #86065)

Bush 1 signed the bill to ban off shore drilling and Clinton signed the bill to do no drilling in ANWR   Thats the story and i am sticking to it...........
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-06-20 9:07 PM (#86098 - in reply to #86096)

Expert

Originally written by TIMEIT on 2008-06-20 9:31 PM

Bush 1 signed the bill to ban off shore drilling and Clinton signed the bill to do no drilling in ANWR   Thats the story and i am sticking to it...........

Soooo...what difference does that make?...

For the average case, drilling in ANWR would reduce crude oil by 75 cents, out of a current $130, in 2025. This amounts to about a 0.5% change. The total production from ANWAR would be, in 2024, approximately 1% of the United States needs.

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-06-20 9:24 PM (#86099 - in reply to #86096)

Expert

maybe I am slow but the way I see it if everybody is driving at $ 4.35 - a gal why would the price drop if the demand for the gas and diesel has not. To drill would not bring the price down the speculator would keep the price up because they know you need the stuff if not the usa then they could and would sell it to anybody that would give  there the  price pre barrel if they got the stuff you wont they there are in the driver's seat
Longrider
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-06-20 9:26 PM (#86100 - in reply to #86085)

Extreme Veteran

Unfortunately, The only legitimate short term solution is CONSERVATION.

Paul, you're exactly correct.  Conservation is the answer, not just finding more and more to whet the appetites of those who want cheap fossil fuels to consume in their Hummer so they can high roll.

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-06-20 11:34 PM (#86106 - in reply to #85966)

Expert

Conservation is the answer............. and $4.00 a gallon gas is encouraging the conservation, it's a shame that we overweight, rude, entitled Americans are forced into conservation by the price of gas, but it's true.

Maybe the friggin dumba*ses that we sent to DC can come up with an energy plan that will force us to conserve without a payment plan, but Osama-Bama is just going to tax us until we can't pay for gas anymore, and that in turn will cause us to conserve.

muleskinner
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-06-21 4:47 AM (#86109 - in reply to #86096)

Regular

Originally written by TIMEIT on 2008-06-20 8:31 PM

Bush 1 signed the bill to ban off shore drilling and Clinton signed the bill to do no drilling in ANWR Thats the story and i am sticking to it...........
Your close. Congress passed the bill to drill in Anwar and Bill Clinton vetoed it,otherwise we could be pumping a million barrels per day from Anwar
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-06-21 10:49 AM (#86122 - in reply to #86109)

Expert

Originally written by muleskinner on 2008-06-21 5:47 AM

Bush 1 signed the bill to ban off shore drilling and Clinton signed the bill to do no drilling in ANWR Thats the story and i am sticking to it...........
Your close. Congress passed the bill to drill in Anwar and Bill Clinton vetoed it,otherwise we could be pumping a million barrels per day from Anwar

What about ANWR - the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge? The controversy rages. As of today, there is no known oil in ANWR - it can't be known until the rocks are drilled. The U.S. Geological Survey, using sophisticated estimation techniques that factor in the geology and other "knowns," gives a best guess for the amount of oil that MAY be in ANWR at 10.4 billion barrels of technically recoverable oil. That sounds like a lot, but it's less than Prudhoe Bay contained. At about 13 billion barrels, Prudhoe was the largest oil field in North America, but most of its oil has been produced. In contrast, the world's largest oil field, Ghawar in Saudi Arabia, contained about 85 billion barrels, with much remaining.

That guesstimate of 10.4 billion barrels in ANWR works out to 520 days' supply at our current rate of consumption. But in reality, even if it's there, it won't be produced in a whoosh. Any oil will take years to come on-stream, and will be produced over a period of perhaps 20 years. A reasonable production rate over that time would be one million barrels per day - just 5% of today's 20 Mb/d consumption. Given that our rate of consumption is increasing by 4% to 5% each year, all the possible oil in ANWR would do nothing but help keep pace with demand growth. Helpful, but no panacea.

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-06-21 12:23 PM (#86126 - in reply to #85966)

Expert

Paul I agree with most of what you say, but how about we take another look at this "helpful" idea.

If there was an older gentleman who had his arms full of supplies and he was trying to go inside of a building and you happened to be standing there, would you just stand there and watch him struggle with the door? Or would you try and be "helpful" and open it for him?

rsandi5218
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2008-06-21 1:26 PM (#86129 - in reply to #85966)

rsandi5218
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2008-06-21 1:34 PM (#86130 - in reply to #85966)

What if it's not about supply and demand or consumption. What if a barrel of crude trades on all global markets in USD. What if the USD has sunk in value and it takes more USD to make the same worth now, than it used too. What if that was the cause? More domestic drilling would still trade with the same USD and oil companies would just have more product. The global market is what's killing us.

randy
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-06-21 4:40 PM (#86135 - in reply to #86130)

Expert

The higher cost will make us think about conservation. It does me!  And at the higher cost it makes the oil companies think about the alternatives. At some point some of our other energy resource become viable. The Oil Shale and Tar sands in the Green River Formation of Utah/Colorado are said to hold 1.2 to 1.8 Trillion Barrels of oil. They just need to spend the money to develop an economical  recovery method to get it.

Just out of college 30 years ago, I worked for a company that developed a jet engine that ran on powdered coal. Basically coal that was pulverized in a form similar to graphite powder.  The jet engine ran just fine on that fuel. It is not practical to fly a plane on coal because of the weight. But it had other viable uses. The turbine shaft produced electricity and the exhaust produced heat which was used to make steam. One small engine could produce the electrial and heating needs for remote manufacturing plant.

As resources become scares or econmomically out of reach, people will find and perfect other solutions.

muleskinner
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-06-21 5:22 PM (#86137 - in reply to #86100)

Regular

Originally written by Longrider on 2008-06-20 9:26 PM

Paul, you're exactly correct. Conservation is the answer, not just finding more and more to whet the appetites of those who want cheap fossil fuels to consume in their Hummer so they can high roll.

The people driving Hummers would probably think a duallie or sports chassis pulling a large LQ> trailer is high-rolling,the problem with conservation is most ever wants some-one else to do the conserving.
muleskinner
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-06-21 5:41 PM (#86138 - in reply to #86122)

Regular

Originally written by PaulChristenson on 2008-06-21 10:49 AM

What about ANWR - the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge? The controversy rages. As of today, there is no known oil in ANWR - it can't be known until the rocks are drilled. The U.S. Geological Survey, using sophisticated estimation techniques that factor in the geology and other "knowns," gives a best guess for the amount of oil that MAY be in ANWR at 10.4 billion barrels of technically recoverable oil. That sounds like a lot, but it's less than Prudhoe Bay contained. At about 13 billion barrels, Prudhoe was the largest oil field in North America, but most of its oil has been produced. In contrast, the world's largest oil field, Ghawar in Saudi Arabia, contained about 85 billion barrels, with much remaining.

That guesstimate of 10.4 billion barrels in ANWR works out to 520 days' supply at our current rate of consumption. But in reality, even if it's there, it won't be produced in a whoosh. Any oil will take years to come on-stream, and will be produced over a period of perhaps 20 years. A reasonable production rate over that time would be one million barrels per day - just 5% of today's 20 Mb/d consumption. Given that our rate of consumption is increasing by 4% to 5% each year, all the possible oil in ANWR would do nothing but help keep pace with demand growth. Helpful, but no panacea.

Why is it that a milion barrels per day of new oil would not effect the price of oil,but even a slight decrease in current supply sends the prices sky-rocketing,but there's really no point in discussing this anymore,no minds are going to be changed,but there will be some sad folks up in the cold country this winter,when heating oil hits it all time high.,if it gets high enough people will be begging for drilling and the voices of the tree hugging leftists will be drowned out.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-06-21 7:07 PM (#86141 - in reply to #86138)

Expert

Originally written by muleskinner on 2008-06-21 6:41 PM

Originally written by PaulChristenson on 2008-06-21 10:49 AM

Why is it that a milion barrels per day of new oil would not effect the price of oil,but even a slight decrease in current supply sends the prices sky-rocketing,but there's really no point in discussing this anymore,no minds are going to be changed,but there will be some sad folks up in the cold country this winter,when heating oil hits it all time high.,if it gets high enough people will be begging for drilling and the voices of the tree hugging leftists will be drowned out.

A million extra barrels a day WITHOUT Conservation would be status quo...the price of oil will NOT go down, because OIL is NOT a DOMESTIC COMMODITY, but a WORLD COMMODITY, and WORLD DEMAND is/WAS(?) increasing...(This could be under review as currently ALL Indian Airlines are about to go broke, due to RAPIDLY INCREASING fuel costs, high level meeting are going on as we speak...)

If you look at the multi-national oil companies...there are NOT many that are purely U.S. corporations anymore...they sell to the highest bidder...whether that be the U.S., China, India, whoever...

Short of a massive recession or worse a depression Gasoline will never go below $3.00/gallon...

The real sad end to this story would be to do the exploratory drillings and then discover there is less oil there than originally anticipated...

Edited by PaulChristenson 2008-06-21 7:10 PM
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-06-22 6:53 AM (#86156 - in reply to #86141)

Expert

Originally written by PaulChristenson on 2008-06-21 7:07 PM

The real sad end to this story would be to do the exploratory drillings and then discover there is less oil there than originally anticipated...

Why would that be so sad?...........To use 2,000 of 19million acres in an effort to find and capture a resource that is so desperately needed is not "SAD" it's "SMART".

An unfolded newspaper represents the 19million acres, A Capital "O", in the type, on the paper represents the 2000 acres. The friggin moose will go find another place to romance his gals.

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-06-22 9:47 AM (#86159 - in reply to #86156)

Expert

it is time to find a other sources of energy keep looking if the USA can come up with something better then oil then we (USA) can sell it that would drop the price
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-06-22 10:51 AM (#86161 - in reply to #85966)

Expert

Regardless of every conservation measure we incorporate, or every drilling we conduct, the price of energy and the durable goods it effects, will never again be at the low rates we once had. Because energy is sold in a global market, and we are only one of its purchasers, we have to pay the going price as dictated by the various countries all vying for the same product.

Any financial relief and lowering of the costs by new drilling. will not be measured in dollars, it will be in cents per gallon. By then, the additional costs of the goods we consume, will have exceeded any energy savings.

We are at the beginning of a new era in the costs of living. Personal conservation is one of the most affective means to save money. Many new sources of energy involve more energy to produce than they offer in benefits. A new, cheap resource is not yet available. We have to adapt or we will fail.

Gard

threeman
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-06-22 10:54 AM (#86162 - in reply to #86137)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by muleskinner on 2008-06-21 5:22 PM

Originally written by Longrider on 2008-06-20 9:26 PM

Paul, you're exactly correct. Conservation is the answer, not just finding more and more to whet the appetites of those who want cheap fossil fuels to consume in their Hummer so they can high roll.

The people driving Hummers would probably think a duallie or sports chassis pulling a large LQ> trailer is high-rolling,the problem with conservation is most ever wants some-one else to do the conserving.

Probably what they think when the IH4400 comes by because we left late and we are running 80.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-06-22 7:10 PM (#86172 - in reply to #85966)

Expert

Here's some interesting technology that may have merit. Don't know how big a GN it would tow or the pin weight on the rear axle. Don't think it comes in a dually, and forget the aroma of diesel.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars/4217016.html

Gard

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-06-22 8:58 PM (#86173 - in reply to #86172)

Expert

what gets me is right now I feel like a hostage -!!!!if the people who have oil say no oil to the USA then what???? I know this is going to read bad but I like the USA to be in the drivers sit of are own country I think we have to many country's that drive are world ( USA)
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-06-23 6:03 AM (#86179 - in reply to #85966)

Expert

Even with this oil prices went up...which reinforces the fact that world demand has INCREASED!!!

Oil minister: Saudi willing to increase crude output

AP
Posted: 2008-06-22 18:56:17
JIDDAH, Saudi Arabia (AP) - Facing strong U.S. pressure and global dismay over oil prices, Saudi Arabia said Sunday it will produce more crude this year if the market needs it. But the vague pledge fell far short of U.S. hopes for a specific increase and may do little to lower prices immediately.

For now, the current "oil shock" leaves Western countries with little choice but to move toward nuclear power and change their energy-consumption habits, Britain's prime minister warned at a rare meeting of oil-producing and consuming nations.

Saudi Arabia - the world's top crude exporter - called the gathering Sunday to send a message that it, too, is concerned by high oil prices inflicting economic pain worldwide.

Instead, the meeting highlighted the sharp disagreement between producers like Saudi Arabia and consuming countries like Britain and the United States over the core factors driving steep price hikes. Oil closed near $135 a barrel on Friday - almost double the price a year ago.

The cost of gasoline also has become a sore point in the U.S. presidential race, with President Bush and presumed Republican nominee John McCain calling on Congress to lift its long-standing ban on offshore oil and gas drilling. Barack Obama, the presumptive Democratic nominee, has said such moves will do nothing to ease American consumers' pain short-term.

The U.S. and other nations argue that oil production has not kept up with increasing demand, especially from China, India and the Middle East. But Saudi Arabia and other OPEC countries say there is no shortage of oil and instead blame financial speculation and the falling U.S. dollar.

Saudi Oil Minister Ali al-Naimi said the kingdom is willing to produce more than the 9.7 million barrels of oil a day it had already planned to produce in July - if the market requires it.

But the Saudi oil minister also blamed speculators and asserted supply is not the problem.

"In today's environment, I am convinced that supply and demand balances and crude oil production levels are not the primary drivers of the current market situation," al-Naimi said. Officials and energy executives from more than 35 countries thronged a large hall where he spoke.

King Abdullah also said Saudi Arabia is not the culprit.

The king cited several factors driving "the unjustified, swift rise in oil prices" including "speculators who play the market out of selfish interests," plus higher consumption by developing countries and higher taxes in some countries.

U.S. Energy Secretary Samuel Bodman, however, said earlier that U.S. officials had found no evidence speculators are driving up prices.

Saudi officials have consistently said the country would provide enough oil to supply the market. The kingdom announced a 300,000 barrel per day production increase in May and said before the start of the Jiddah meeting that it would add another 200,000 barrels per day in July, raising total daily output to 9.7 million barrels.

Both announcements had already been factored into oil prices before Sunday's meeting - and neither did much to stem their rise. Total worldwide crude production is about 85 million barrels per day.

The Saudi output increase is "going to help a little bit, maybe reduce prices just a little," New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, a Democrat and former President Bill Clinton's energy secretary, said on CNN's "Late Edition" program. "It won't be significant."

It remained unclear if Sunday's announcements would have any greater effect.

At least one analyst said he thought they would only spur prices higher.

The oil market has been in a holding pattern to see if Saudi Arabia would take more aggressive steps toward boosting output, said Stephen Schork, an oil market analyst and trader in Villanova, Pa. The market's likely to view the announcement as a sign it will not, he said.

"We don't know anything more today that we didn't know Friday," said Schork, who predicted "$150 (a barrel) here we come."

Linda Rafield, senior oil analyst at energy trade publication Platts, said she expected the reaction to be less dramatic.

"I don't see prices going into freefall at the start of trading this evening, but I don't see the bulls being given any reason to bid prices back up to the $140 level," she said.

Bush has visited Saudi Arabia twice this year to push the country's king to increase oil production but has little to show for the effort.

To address long-term concerns about supply, al-Naimi said Saudi Arabia also is willing to invest to boost its spare oil production capacity above the current 12.5 million barrels per day planned for the end of 2009 - again, if the market requires it.

That reversed previous indications the country would not go beyond that figure.

British Prime Minister Gordon Brown echoed U.S. officials' calls for commitments of specific production increases. Such actions would help ensure that "instead of uncertainty and unpredictability, there is greater certainty, and instead of instability, there is greater stability," he said.

But he and Bodman also urged consuming countries to increase energy efficiency and invest in alternative sources of fuel. Brown said the high prices - what he termed an "oil shock" - leave industrialized countries with few choices but turning more to nuclear power and lowering energy consumption.

A joint statement issued by participants also urged countries to improve energy efficiency. The vaguely worded statement also promoted investment in spare capacity and called for improved transparency and regulation of financial markets, but provided few specifics - again highlighting the confusion and disagreements over the core causes of oil's price surge.

Abdullah called for the creation of a $1 billion energy initiative to help poor countries combat fuel prices and said Saudi Arabia would contribute $500 million to provide loans to finance development and energy projects.

Associated Press reporters Donna Abu-Nasr in Jiddah and Adam Schreck and John Wilen in New York contributed to this report.
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-06-23 9:37 PM (#86223 - in reply to #86179)

Expert

Saudi will give loans out to country that can not pay for the oil  already. that could put these country's at the hand of the Saudi. the article did not say if Saudi would sell the oil at a lower price or that the oil company would  decrease the price if the oil was cheaper everybody is still maken money at a very hight price
Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-06-24 8:04 AM (#86243 - in reply to #85966)

This makes for interesting reading...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/jun/24/enron-loophole-keeps-oil-speculation-unleashed/

olehossgal
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2008-06-25 5:35 PM (#86368 - in reply to #85966)

Regular

With all due respect to the different opinions that have been expressed here....as one who's been around quite a while(I'm nearly 67), I believe gard has it pretty well pegged. I do not believe that energy prices will ever go 'back down' by much, and that the only thing that *might* really help is to learn to be much more conservative. Of course, that would mean that Americans, many of whom, in my observation, feel very 'entitled' and are very 'spoiled' to doing whatever they please, would actually have to think of someone besides themselves on an ongoing basis. I'd be very pleasantly surprised to see that happen, but am not going to hold my breath! Example: try driving at around 55-60 on the interstate...it is WELL documented that that speed gives the best gas mileage, but... clearly, most drivers are just too damned important for it to take THEM a bit longer to get where they are going....it would just be too much of a 'sacrifice' to allow more time to get there, I guess. One wonders how we EVER survived in previous times?? (If I sound disgusted, it is because I AM...) I have been around long enough to be QUITE sure that the world wouldn't screech to a halt if the pace slowed down a bit...but I am in a distinct minority, I guess...a driver passed me on a double yellow line yesterday, after I had the audacity to pull onto the highway from my side road when (it turned out to be a 'she'!)was less than a mile away, and I didn't 'stomp' on my accelerator for a 'jackrabbit' takeoff(as do most drivers nowadays; can you say "WORSE gas mileage?")...then when we got up to the shiney new 4 lane section,I  could see her flailing her hands and posturing because she got behind a VERY cautious driver in a section where ongoing 'construction' had traffic down to a single lane per side....and where was she headed in such an all-consuming hurry? Why, to the new WALMART, of course!

I agree about ethanol--what a boondoggle, with the gov't, in usual manner, 'falling for' an 'answer to our problems' that just 'ain't so'. No, I suppose I don't blame the farmers who are getting much bigger prices for their crop, but.....

I believe we DO, as a society, need to GET WITH IT in development of a VARIETY of alternatives! Some will work one place, others, better in another situation--but NONE will work if we don't get busy and 'make' them do so!

(Ironic that the last link cited concerned yet another wonderful 'gift' to our society from the CROOKS at ENRON....)

Flame away if you must; I've spent long hours outdoors in my life, and my ole hide is tough!

Margo in New Mexico(again, burning...we need RAIN!)

hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-06-25 8:02 PM (#86373 - in reply to #85966)

Expert

Dave you are totally right. We need to open up our own sites now. Why should every other oil producing country drill offshore but us? We have the technology now to do it right. Even Katrina didn't destroy the sites in the Gulf. We also have to keep developing alternative sources of energy. That is key!! But we need to be free of Chavez and the Middle East now!
I signed the petition the day it came out!
muleskinner
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-06-25 10:16 PM (#86376 - in reply to #86368)

Regular

Originally written by olehossgal on 2008-06-25 5:35 PM

With all due respect to the different opinions that have been expressed here....as one who's been around quite a while(I'm nearly 67), I believe gard has it pretty well pegged. I do not believe that energy prices will ever go 'back down' by much, and that the only thing that *might* really help is to learn to be much more conservative. Of course, that would mean that Americans, many of whom, in my observation, feel very 'entitled' and are very 'spoiled' to doing whatever they please, would actually have to think of someone besides themselves on an ongoing basis. I'd be very pleasantly surprised to see that happen, but am not going to hold my breath! Example: try driving at around 55-60 on the interstate...it is WELL documented that that speed gives the best gas mileage, but... clearly, most drivers arejust too damned important for it to take THEM a bit longer to get where they are going....it would just be too much of a 'sacrifice' to allow more time to get there, I guess. One wonders how we EVER survived in previous times?? (If I sound disgusted, it is because I AM...) I have been around long enough to be QUITE sure that the world wouldn't screech to a halt if the pace slowed down a bit...but I am in a distinct minority, I guess...a driver passed me on a double yellow line yesterday, after I had the audacity to pull onto the highway from my side road when (it turned out to be a 'she'!)was less than a mile away, and I didn't 'stomp' on my accelerator for a 'jackrabbit' takeoff(as do most drivers nowadays; can you say "WORSE gas mileage?")...then when we got up to the shiney new 4 lane section,I could see her flailing her hands and posturing because she got behind a VERY cautious driver in a section where ongoing 'construction' had traffic down to a single lane per side....and where was she headed in such an all-consuming hurry? Why, to the newWALMART, of course!

I agree about ethanol--what a boondoggle, with the gov't, in usual manner, 'falling for' an 'answer to our problems' that just 'ain't so'. No, I suppose I don't blame the farmers who are getting much bigger prices for their crop, but.....

I believe we DO, as a society, need to GET WITH IT in development of a VARIETY of alternatives! Some will work one place, others, better in another situation--but NONE will work if we don't get busy and 'make' them do so!

(Ironic that the last link cited concerned yet another wonderful 'gift' to our society from the CROOKS at ENRON....)

Flame away if you must; I've spent long hours outdoors in my life, and my ole hide is tough!

Margo in New Mexico(again, burning...we need RAIN!)

Margo: No need to flame. Your assessment is very credible. I just read a press release from the AP ,saying in the year 2030 90% of the worlds energy will still come from fossil fuels,this alternative energy ,for the most part, is still pie in the sky . conservation will only work,if it is mandated,ie,rationing.so the oil thats in the ground will have to be produced ,even if it does take ten years,we will need it more then than now.but it won't have much effect on prices.
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-06-25 10:35 PM (#86378 - in reply to #86376)

Expert

remember that there was a time that everybody thought that horseless carriages would not work and that nothing could replace the horse.  well there is something that will replace oil we just have not found it yet
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-06-25 11:45 PM (#86386 - in reply to #85966)

This is a very very interesting discussion.....as for me I intend to put up a wind turbine generator, specifically the Breezy 5.5..........One thing no one has mentioned is the current population numbers.  There are now  (as far as we know) more people on Mother Earth than ever.  Remember in the 70's the plea for zero population growth? 
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-06-26 2:36 AM (#86388 - in reply to #86386)

Expert

Originally written by rose on 2008-06-25 12:45 AM

This is a very very interesting discussion.....as for me I intend to put up a wind turbine generator, specifically the Breezy 5.5..........One thing no one has mentioned is the current population numbers.  There are now  (as far as we know) more people on Mother Earth than ever.  Remember in the 70's the plea for zero population growth? 

This may have been posted here already, some scary stuff...More info on population growth....

http://www.superfactory.com/articles/meyer_what_in_the_world.htm

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-06-26 5:15 AM (#86390 - in reply to #86388)

Expert

Originally written by retento on 2008-06-26 2:36 AM

This may have been posted here already, some scary stuff...More info on population growth....

I think that was well written, and very informative. Without a political tilt.

hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-06-26 8:31 AM (#86397 - in reply to #86100)

Expert

Conservation is necessary but it is also some of our current economic problems. People driving and flying less = weaker economy because they vacation less, shop less, etc.True solution is to end our energy dependence on foreigners. We are tied into oil for much more than just fuel requirments. If our enemies want to crush us from within, all they have to do is turn off the oil valve.
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-06-26 8:36 AM (#86398 - in reply to #86088)

Expert

If you don't NEED an SUV, don't buy one. If we didn't have one, we wouldn't get home in the winter.
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-06-26 8:40 AM (#86400 - in reply to #86065)

Expert

Maybe you should start considering some of what radio says. Try www.glennbeck.com
Towfoo
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-06-26 8:59 AM (#86403 - in reply to #86378)

Veteran

Originally written by loveduffy on 2008-06-25 10:35 PM

remember that there was a time that everybody thought that horseless carriages would not work and that nothing could replace the horse.  well there is something that will replace oil we just have not found it yet

I'm betting on this:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/research/4270240.html?serie...
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-06-26 5:37 PM (#86443 - in reply to #86403)

Expert

that is what i am talking about  thank you for the article Towfoo
Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-06-27 8:16 AM (#86491 - in reply to #86388)

Originally written by retento on 2008-06-26 2:36 AM

Great read. Very informative.

Conservation is key. No question about it. We should be concerned about the enviroment. Although I can remember everyone saying that we were starting into our next ice age when I was a kid. 20-30 years later we have global warming. I guess what I am getting at is this...I don't believe that the warming is only being caused by us. That being said... Alternative fuels of some kind are going to break through. But fossil fuels are still around to stay for quite a while longer. If we can reduce our dependency on foreign oil by 1% or 99% why don't we do it? Drill here. Create jobs. That boosts our economy. That will bring the value of our dollar back up. And that will bring oil prices back down. And while doing that...work on alternative fuels and other types of power. But realize...even once alternatives are perfected, it isn't an overnight change. We are still years and years away from being indepedent from oil.

Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-06-27 8:54 AM (#86496 - in reply to #85966)

Drilling an oil well is kinda like planting a tree- the best time to do it was 10 years ago. Congress and the tree huggers need to get out of the way and let's get on with it, because 10 years down the road we'll need it even worse. Many of the wells producing today will be dead and gone by then and we'll need new production to replace them.
DaveM
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-06-27 11:43 AM (#86510 - in reply to #86496)

Elite Veteran

Actually the saying goes like this.  "Two of the best times to plant a tree are 20 years ago . . and today."

But your point is well taken.  We can't keep pondering our options . .. we have to start doing something.

amysbean
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-06-28 10:31 AM (#86552 - in reply to #85966)

Regular

Just got back from a week long family reunion in Florida and am absorbing all the information in this particular post.

First comment/thought/opinion: biggest lesson learned from my years as a journalist (before going to law school so i could earn a decent 'wage') was that every article, every newscast, etc may rely on facts, but those facts get so very skewed even when the writer diligently tries to stick "to the facts".  which is to say: all those articles and information cited should not be blindly accepted as 'the truth'.  each article may have some good points to consider, but don't bet your life on any of those articles being totally on point.  (my years as an attorney have taught me not to believe anything anyone says...almost!)

Second thought: i agree that conservation is one answer that we can all take part in and we can all start TODAY.  we used our old diesel ford excursion to drive the 14 hour trip to Florida.  but there were six of us (and at times i felt like a jumbo jet wouldn't have been big enough to keep the peace between the kids!).  but now that we are home, the driver's in our family swallow our "coolness" and share our VW jetta (diesel) which gets 45 mpg...seriously.  it has taken us awhile to get used to driving that small vehicle, esp since most of our driving is on I10, getting passed by numerous 18 wheelers, esp when we were all used to driving trucks.  WE WOULD NEVER HAVE BOUGHT THIS SMALL 'BORING' CAR until the high fuel prices forced us to find a way to conserve...our money.    the only way americans are going to actually get anything accomplished or change their habits is when they are affected directly, which usually means the pocketbook. 

so, we can argue all day about how much fuel is laying beneath us, which political party did or didn't do something they should or shouldn't have, etc and by the end of the day, it is very doubtful any of us is any closer to getting 100% of our facts correct.  but everyone of us can do a little bit toward conserving what we do have, not wasting our resources. so when i finish my bottle of merlot, i will recycle that glass container....

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-06-28 2:35 PM (#86562 - in reply to #85966)

Expert

The issue isn't a lack of oil. There is PLENTY of it. Environmentalist have been predicting we'd run out since the 70's. These people have been proven wrong time and time again yet people still buy into them. There is NO Global Warming. None. Period.NADA. The earth has been in cooling and warming cylces from the start....mankind and our presence has had no effect, ill or otherwise, on this planet. In fact- one of the last warming periods came before the industrial revolution. Before AC,areisol cans,CFC's, internal combustion engines. We have no control over hurricans,tornadas,blizzards and yet somehow our daily lives as amercians can warm the earth just like that? Silliness.

Back to oil- face it, its the lifeblood of our ecomony and I for one am not ashamed if it.There is nothing wrong with it. Its just a fact of life and if we like having nice cars,warm homes,cooked food and a job to make it happen, then we have to get over this idea that somehow we can live without oil or live with less. We don't have to develope other sources. The problem can be solved in a snap ( figuratively speaking since I know its a long term outlook) if we wanted to. Another fact- this is a political problem. As long as we have politicans making the laws that reatrd the development of oil feilds, both on and off shore, we will have a dependence on where ever the oil comes from ( right now our biggest source of oil comes from canada and mexico) As long as we have politicans beholden to the wacky environmental left we won't have cheap and plentiful fuels even if we manage to develope alternative fuels ( oh and look where that has gotten us)

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-06-28 10:57 PM (#86593 - in reply to #86562)

Expert

Originally written by farmbabe on 2008-06-28 3:35 PM

There is NO Global Warming. None. Period.NADA. The earth has been in cooling and warming cylces from the start....mankind and our presence has had no effect, ill or otherwise, on this planet.

Wow. I guess the fact that the north pole will be water instead of ice this summer is incorrect. And since the industrial revolution, the co2 we're producing has no affect on the environment, the overpopulation of some areas doesn't contribute to pollution, the clear cutting of forests in some countries doesn't actually affect the weather patterns, that the large masses of corral that has died won't affect the sea life, that the species we've driven to extinction won't affect mankind? Love Canal didn't exist, superfund sites are fabrications, China doesn't have the worse pollution of the developed nations which is causing major health concerns. There was no Chernobyl, and the radiation didn't really kill thousands, The Exxon Valdez was really a schooner sailed by Ted Kennedy, and all the lawyers and courts are just making things up.

How many more paragraphs of examples to you have time to read?

mankind and our presence has had no effect, ill or otherwise, on this planet.

Please. Where can I buy the rose coloured glasses that you wear?

Gard

Edited by gard 2008-06-28 11:24 PM
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-06-29 5:33 AM (#86600 - in reply to #85966)

Expert

Once again ole Gard tries to convince someone of something with a bunch of "babble",

1. What does Chernobyl have to do with global warming?

2. What does the Exxon Valdez have to do with global warming?

3. By the way big guy, China's trash doesn't have anything to do with global warming.

But as usual, the facts don't matter if your a left wing tree hugging wackjob does it? Have you ever heard of sun spots? Did you know there are a lack of them now? How about the sun not sitting on a true axis(wobble), ever heard of that? Probley not............wouldn't want facts to get in the way of your "babble" would we. Now as far as the Artic Seas melting I guess all those people on the coast should run to higher ground because you wackjobs said/believe that the melting of the Artic seas is going to flood the coastlines.

This earth has went through incredible changes in the last million or so years, the Grand Canyon used to be a lake. The Rocky Mountains were formed beneath a glacier. The fertile soils of the heartland were deposited when the waters recided from the melting of the last ice age. We have been able to see some "changes" to this earth in our lifetimes, but nothing as incredible as what has "truely" happened in the history of the earth.

The last decade has seen the earth's average temperature drop .6 of a degree, that erases the last 110 years of warming that had been happening, but that's OK, the wackjobs can't let the truth mess up their story. By the way the CO emmissions you all always want to talk about........... the largest offenders of CO emmissions is cattle, and when they release it, it smells about as bad as your story on "global warming".

Edited by HWBar 2008-06-29 5:39 AM
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-06-29 5:48 AM (#86601 - in reply to #85966)

Expert

lets be clear- the so called sciencists only predicted the ice will melt over the pole. Its hasn't melted at all- yet another silly prediction from people known to be wrong- FACT-according to Dr. Roy Spencer of the University of Alabama at Huntsville, and Dr. Spencer said, "I saw that story.  There's a 50% chance the North Pole would be ice-free this summer?  I'd like to take those odds.  If anybody would bet me a thousand dollars, I would take those odds." And then he said, "Let me show you this.  The latest chart shows the Arctic has more sea ice right now than this time last year.  You can compare the beginning and end of the one-year plots because they got the chart here.  The black curve would have to go all the way to the zero line in order for this to happen, and it ain't going to happen." "...The ice area here is measured in million square kilometers, and at its least last summer in September and October of 2007, it was at about three million square kilometers.  As we speak, in June of 2008, it is at about ten million square kilometers."

Read this Gard and understand- environmentalist have a really bad track record in the prediction department.

Show me eveidence that clear cutting tress has affected the weather patterns- please...ok I'll save you the trouble. It hasn't. There is no globla warming- there is no science to prove it, there are not facts to back it up. Its all a myth,a lie,a hoax. All based on a computer model and has been proven wrong by real science.

If you really want to learn something read this-

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,192544,00.html

Edited by farmbabe 2008-06-29 5:50 AM
Towfoo
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-06-29 6:50 AM (#86602 - in reply to #85966)

Veteran

This global warming stuff is like religion for the faithful on both sides of the debate. Each has just enough "evidence" to support their beliefs, but neither has irrefutable proof to move their beliefs into the realm of truths. That's why they're called beliefs.

To me, it's obvious that burning gas/oil/coal/wood etc isn't good for the air, any more than inhaling tobacco smoke is good for your lungs. On the other hand, the concept of taxing people or countries for energy and granting credits based on things like how much you invest in so-called "green" organizations, or how much forest acerage a country has, or how many cows farting in fields they have and so on is BS. Kyoto is a shell game scam. Makes no sense to levy the biggest taxes on the most productive country on the planet while exempting China, which btw just became the #1 polluter in the world, because they're "developing." This is no different than take from the rich and give to the poor. It's environmental Robin Hood opportunism.

Al Gore is a pompous, arrogant political opportunist and has been ever since I started watching him in action back in the early 80s. He sticks is finger in the political winds and then sets his sails to take maximum advantage of it. Doesn't matter if it's good or bad to head that way, so long as it advances Al Gore's own sense of "prestige."

BTW, global warming is real...it's even happening on Mars!!

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/02/070228-mars-warming...

THE SUN IS GETTING WARMER...SAVE US AL GORE!

Edited by Towfoo 2008-06-29 6:52 AM
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-06-29 9:14 AM (#86605 - in reply to #85966)

Expert

Now I will state some things I feel strongly about,

We do need to find an alternative fuel source..........soon.

The stuff we put in the air is not good for us............

I enjoy flowers and fruit bearing trees, and I own both.

I drive the most fuel effiencient car I own for most of the miles I drive.......... I will not buy(spend) more on another car that will only marginally increase my miles per gallon.

I think that the carbon offset deal is a hoax/scam for someone/politician, just follow the cash.

It's all about supply and demand, just like the horse business right now. With oil/fuel we need to use less and drill for more. With Horses we need to produce less and expand the market. It is really that simple, no matter how complicated everyone wants to make it.

"Global Warming" is nothing other than a "Climate Change" this earth has been experiencing since the begining of time. Liberals/Treehuggers just hate the things that they are unable to "control or tax".

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-06-29 9:28 AM (#86606 - in reply to #86562)

Expert

Originally written by farmbabe on 2008-06-28 1:35 PM

There is NO Global Warming. None. Period.NADA.

I would clarify this statement as Anthropologically caused global warming.

(Otherwise known as human caused global warming.)

There has been global warming and cooling cycles for longer than we humans have had industrial processes.  Our current use of fossil fuel is merely releasing solar energy captured by the Earth over a millennia.  Its release is like burning a candle in a room.  There is some heat input to the room, but it is insignificant to the wood stove input, also known as the Sun

Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-06-29 10:13 AM (#86607 - in reply to #85966)

Just an observation here, but I don't think the current fuel prices are high enough to slow most folks down. Last week I was coming back from Reno and got on I-10 at Blythe, Ca. I was wore out and decided not to push it so I got in a string of truckers and they were driving about 65, and that is slower than it has been, but the cars were driving 75-80 and I noticed most of them had only 1 or 2 passengers. Traffic was heavy most of the time, so I guess most are only paying lip service to conservation. It makes me wonder how high fuel has got to go before we see a real slow down in speed and traffic.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-06-29 12:23 PM (#86614 - in reply to #86600)

Expert

Once again HW casts his lot, opening his mouth without reading the facts . The statement I was referring to was "mankind and his presence has had no effect, ill or other wise on this planet." Then HW comes out with these gems:

Originally written by HWBar on 2008-06-29 6:33 AM

Once again ole Gard tries to convince someone of something with a bunch of "babble",

1. What does Chernobyl have to do with global warming?

A)I don't know. If you bothered to read my statement, you would have read about how the effects of radiation killed thousands of people and left a dead, desolate city and country side in its path. The radiation spread to parts of Europe where it contaminated livestock and crops. But I guess you don't consider that a bad affect.

2. What does the Exxon Valdez have to do with global warming?

A)I don't know. But once again, I was speaking of affects mankind has had on this planet. And once again, in your infinite wisdom, I guess you would consider the massive oil spill and its affects on the environment, a non event.

3. By the way big guy, China's trash doesn't have anything to do with global warming.

A) By the way little mind, the most polluted country in the world, has the highest output of pollutants and co2 which contributes to global warming.

But as usual, the facts don't matter if your a left wing tree hugging wackjob does it? Have you ever heard of sun spots? Did you know there are a lack of them now? How about the sun not sitting on a true axis(wobble), ever heard of that? Probley not............wouldn't want facts to get in the way of your "babble" would we. Now as far as the Artic Seas melting I guess all those people on the coast should run to higher ground because you wackjobs said/believe that the melting of the Artic seas is going to flood the coastlines.

that erases the last 110 years of warming that had been happening, but that's OK, the wackjobs can't let the truth mess up their story. By the way the CO emmissions you all always want to talk about...........  it smells about as bad as your story on "global warming".

(Quote)

HW. Where did you learn all that wonderful language and speech? In etiquette 101? I bet you were the teacher's pet for being so respectful and polite.

Where was my story on global warming? My story was on the effects mankind has had on this earth. Since we last conversed, you were hiding behind bushes. threatening to jump out and scare people. While all your quality time is being spent in such ingeneous ways, you still don't have the intellect or wherewith all, to realize what is going on around you. I offered to have you over for breakfast. Don't tell me you're still pouting.

Gard

Edited by gard 2008-06-29 1:14 PM
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-06-29 12:46 PM (#86618 - in reply to #86601)

Expert

Originally written by farmbabe on 2008-06-29 6:48 AM

lets be clear- the so called sciencists only predicted the ice will melt over the pole. Its hasn't melted at all- yet another silly prediction from people known to be wrong- FACT-

Those glasses are even better than I thought.

Here's some ideas to consider:   http://news.mongabay.com/2008/0103-

pollution.html

Another one:  http://e360.yale.edu/content/feature.msp?id=2010

Edited by gard 2008-06-29 2:51 PM
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-06-29 2:47 PM (#86628 - in reply to #86607)

Expert

I was going to El Paso the other day, doing 65 and passing people.  Not cars, (I think I was the only slow car out there) but big trucks, trucks with trailers and RV's.  At first my husband thought I was nuts for going "so slow" because we were going to get run over.  We made that 2 hour trip on less than a 1/4 tank of gas, coming back was a bit more since it was up hill.  When we did 75 that trip takes us 3/4 of a tank.  (It's a 13 gallon tank)
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-06-29 2:55 PM (#86630 - in reply to #85966)

Expert

HW Bar Gard ... Please refrain from personal attacks.  That's a sure way to get a discussion thread locked. (and deservingly so

I would like to use this forum for a civil discussion.  Some of the comments have merit and I would amplify on some of them. 

Let's keep to the facts as we know them and provide sources for further info.

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-06-29 3:16 PM (#86636 - in reply to #86630)

Expert

where is the oil from Alaska going ??? who put the pie in the first place?? how much oil is coming out??? just a few question I was thinking about
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-06-29 3:22 PM (#86638 - in reply to #86630)

Expert

Originally written by hosspuller on 2008-06-29 3:55 PM

HW Bar Gard ... Please refrain from personal attacks.  That's a sure way to get a discussion thread locked. (and deservingly so

I would like to use this forum for a civil discussion.  Some of the comments have merit and I would amplify on some of them. 

Hosspuller

When someone continually jumps on my back because he has a lack of manners, it gets a little annoying. I will turn the other cheek as I previously have done so,so many times. But I will not roll over and play dead. HW's  ignorance and actions are overwhelming and greatly reduces the enjoyment that this forum has to offer.

I sincerely hope that Dave finally does do something to alleviate this continual problem. It is now many months old, and until now, I have said nothing of HW in spite of his many outbursts and personal attacks against me. I notice that until I retaliated, no mention was made of his continual bad behavior.

You and everyone else who is as fed up with this situation as I am, can do something about it. Whenever a posting is made, in which aspersions are made and it is a blatant violation of the forum rules, click on the "report to moderator" box at the end of the thread. Voice your objection to the thread that offends you. If enough people did this, perhaps Dave will take charge and the people who continually hijack these threads with their foul language and personal attacks will stop acting like idiots.

In the mean time, I don't feel like being the personal punching bag for this idiot, and I will say whatever is necessary to alleviate the problem. I hope Dave does shut this down, it certainly has gone on far too long.

Gard

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-06-29 5:34 PM (#86646 - in reply to #86638)

Expert

Originally written by gard on 2008-06-29 2:22 PM

I notice that until I retaliated, no mention was made of his continual bad behavior.

Gard:  You will notice I addressed both of parties.  One handed clapping is just a lot of wasted motion.  When two hands are involved, noise is generated.

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-06-29 5:36 PM (#86647 - in reply to #85966)

Expert

Back to the discussion...  Is CO2 a product of global warming or is it the cause of global warming??

The answer is critical for our future direction and economy (Way of life too)

Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-06-29 6:29 PM (#86650 - in reply to #85966)

Has anyone seen a projection of the decline in current domestic production? What I'm wondering is what the currently producing wells will be producing in 10 years, with no new production added. I know there will be new wells drilled, but will they offset the decline in existing production?
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-06-29 7:04 PM (#86651 - in reply to #86638)

Expert

Originally written by gard on 2008-06-29 3:22 PM

Originally written by hosspuller on 2008-06-29 3:55 PM

Hosspuller

When someone continually jumps on my back because he has a lack of manners, it gets a little annoying. I will turn the other cheek as I previously have done so,so many times. But I will not roll over and play dead. HW's  ignorance and actions are overwhelming and greatly reduces the enjoyment that this forum has to offer.

I sincerely hope that Dave finally does do something to alleviate this continual problem. It is now many months old, and until now, I have said nothing of HW in spite of his many outbursts and personal attacks against me. I notice that until I retaliated, no mention was made of his continual bad behavior.

You and everyone else who is as fed up with this situation as I am, can do something about it. Whenever a posting is made, in which aspersions are made and it is a blatant violation of the forum rules, click on the "report to moderator" box at the end of the thread. Voice your objection to the thread that offends you. If enough people did this, perhaps Dave will take charge and the people who continually hijack these threads with their foul language and personal attacks will stop acting like idiots.

In the mean time, I don't feel like being the personal punching bag for this idiot, and I will say whatever is necessary to alleviate the problem. I hope Dave does shut this down, it certainly has gone on far too long.

Gard

Yada/Babble...............Yada/Babble................Yada/Babble.............

Of course you have done nothing wrong, you are always so polite in your attacks, I'm sorry O' great one. Just go back and read who started the personal attacks please.

Edited by HWBar 2008-06-29 7:51 PM
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-06-29 7:12 PM (#86652 - in reply to #86647)

Expert

Originally written by hosspuller on 2008-06-29 5:36 PM

Back to the discussion...  Is CO2 a product of global warming or is it the cause of global warming??

The answer is critical for our future direction and economy (Way of life too)

Well............weather patterns are in a cooling stage now, and we are still emitting CO2 so it's not causing "climate change" and CO2 has been around for millions of years, so I don't see how it can be a product of "climate change". I think if you look towards the sun you will find the answer to the "climate change" phenom.

Edited by HWBar 2008-06-29 7:55 PM
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-06-29 9:27 PM (#86659 - in reply to #86650)

Expert

Originally written by Tx. Vaquero on 2008-06-29 5:29 PM

Has anyone seen a projection of the decline in current domestic production? What I'm wondering is what the currently producing wells will be producing in 10 years, with no new production added. I know there will be new wells drilled, but will they offset the decline in existing production?

Tx ... I can't remember who was the first, but the oil production decline in the USA has been well documented as "Peak oil"  The new question is "has peak oil been reached globally"?.

I think not. (I have no professional credibility in this field)  The only reason I have is the increase in oil price.  As the price of oil increases, the amount of Economically recoverable oil also increases.  Countering this trend is the increased conservation.  Somewhere in between is the steady state rate of recovery.

Witness the tar sands of Canada.  When a barrel of oil could be pumped from Saudi Arabia for $3, the Tar sands were worthless.  At $140 per barrel, there's a boom in Alberta.

High Prices makes the impossible merely difficult.

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-06-29 9:40 PM (#86662 - in reply to #86659)

Expert

I have just heard on the radio that the OPEC ministry said that they will NOT increase oil out put, to keep the price high. that annalist have said that on Monday the oil price per barrow will go up 40-50 %.  we will see an increase  price at the  pump to  by Tues. Were is the oil that we produce  from Texas and Alaska  going are they also part of opec and  keeping the price hight ?????
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-06-29 10:05 PM (#86664 - in reply to #86662)

Expert

Originally written by loveduffy on 2008-06-29 8:40 PM

W(h)ere is the oil that we produce  from Texas and Alaska  going are they also part of opec and  keeping the price hight ?????

I would bet the oil produced in Tx stays in Texas refineries.  Then,  it goes to the world markets.  More importantly, the money paid for the Texas oil goes to Texans not Saudis.  (unless the Saudis have bought Texas oil land)

DaveM
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-06-29 10:48 PM (#86665 - in reply to #86593)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by gard on 2008-06-28 10:57 PM

Originally written by farmbabe on 2008-06-28 3:35 PM

There is NO Global Warming. None. Period.NADA. The earth has been in cooling and warming cylces from the start....mankind and our presence has had no effect, ill or otherwise, on this planet.

Wow. I guess the fact that the north pole will be water instead of ice this summer is incorrect. And since the industrial revolution, the co2 we're producing has no affect on the environment, the overpopulation of some areas doesn't contribute to pollution, the clear cutting of forests in some countries doesn't actually affect the weather patterns, that the large masses of corral that has died won't affect the sea life, that the species we've driven to extinction won't affect mankind? Love Canal didn't exist, superfund sites are fabrications, China doesn't have the worse pollution of the developed nations which is causing major health concerns. There was no Chernobyl, and the radiation didn't really kill thousands, The Exxon Valdez was really a schooner sailed by Ted Kennedy, and all the lawyers and courts are just making things up.

How many more paragraphs of examples to you have time to read?

mankind and our presence has had no effect, ill or otherwise, on this planet.

Please. Where can I buy the rose coloured glasses that you wear?

Gard

The person was making their own statement, Gard, and voicing their opinion.  Which is what this thread was about until you said "WOW" and drew conclusionary statements of fact that no one had mention before - just so you could then have a stronger position to claim she was wearing rose colored glasses.

If you disagree that is fine . . . but please, if you single out a poster, set the stage with statements that were not made - then . . cast the first stone - don't be surprised if you get some backlash.

I for one, will NOT less this turn into a Sunday night brawl, and I'm sorry.  It was a good thread till the personal attacks.