Honeymoon is over with my Lakota Trailer
mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-05-18 8:32 PM (#84171)
Subject: Honeymoon is over with my Lakota Trailer

Extreme Veteran

Ok, our first camping trip with our brand new never been used 2007 Lakota LQ trailer.  Well, our vanity lights won't come on in the bathroom. Checked all switches, breakers, fuses, etc.  Decided ok, not worth dealing with at the horse show.  Day two our bathroom floor has a pool of water in it.  Hmmm toilet is working fine, shower is not leaking.  Well the water is coming from under the slideout and seems to be from the city water hook up plug. 

So, will be calling the Dealer and manufacturer tommorow.  We will see how quickly this gets resolved. 

You spend over 50k for a brand new trailer, you expect it to be good to go.  Other than those two things it is a great trailer.  I would do a couple things different next time, such as have drawers for my utinsils!!!  Not one drawer in the whole trailer.  Didn't think I would miss that when I bought it...but well, yes I do!

Anyone else have issues with their Lakota's?  ( I know about the issue with the Hut trailer, was wondering about Lakota GN LQ's)

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
coltaffyjo
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2008-05-18 10:08 PM (#84181 - in reply to #84171)
Subject: RE: Honeymoon is over with my Lakota Trailer

Regular

I hope you get your issues resolved with your trailer--- These issues are with ANY Living quarter ...... or RV..... Everyone that owns a LQ knows and has experienced the fun of owning ---- my kids even dubbed our RV as Ruins Vacation!!!!! (that we no longer own I must add!) I am confident that you will get the new bugs worked out of your LQ!!! Best Of Luck to Ya!!
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-05-18 10:17 PM (#84182 - in reply to #84171)

Expert

My first camp out with my first LQ had a puddle on the floor.  Turned out the manufacture had winterized the trailer before they shipped it.  When I turned on the pump, it pumped water out the winter drain valve that was left open.  Once I learned how to shut all the valves correctly no more water puddles.

Also on my first LQ, it would run off the household electricity, but it would blow the fuse on the generator every time I tried to use the generator,  After tracing the wires, I found a ground wire touching a neutral near the panel. once I separated the wires, everything worked as it was supposed. Nobody had any idea why, and I had to spend an hour tracing the wires to find it.

Get the bugs worked out and you should be fine. Except for the drawers.  I may suggest you go over to WalMart or your favorite store and buy some plastic tubs with lids, Place your stuff in them and slide them in the cupboards.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-05-19 8:00 AM (#84201 - in reply to #84171)

Expert

These things can happen with any LQ trailer.After all,it's a horse trailer with the front section converted into an RV,so stuff happens.I know there are folks that say "Well I bought a bla bla bla trailer and not a thing has ever gone wrong." But there will be more that will say they've had some nuances such as this.The poster with the HUT trailer,according to her,had more issues than the light switch going on.Our light switch portion of a 3way switch in our trailer burned out on a trip and this is only about the 5th time we've had it out.
mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-05-20 9:44 PM (#84362 - in reply to #84171)

Extreme Veteran

I have to say Lakota was right on the ball when I called them and told them about the issues.  They called Millbrooks in Grand Rapids for me and got me in right away!  When we got to Millbrooks we were complimented on how nice the Lakota is (they don't sell them).  I gathered from the Technicians expression this is the first Lakota they have seen.  He said the fixes were very minor and said we will have our trailer back on Wed.  Yayyy!!! 

I do have to say I was very very impressed with how quickly they responded, how courteous and very nice they were on the phone.  Very obvious they want to take care of their customers.

rodeomommy
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-05-21 8:14 AM (#84381 - in reply to #84171)

I wish my honeymoon would start with my Bison Stratus.

I know that there are bugs to work out and it's part of life, and should be handled with grace.

I purchased a new Bison Stratus w LQ out of the showroom.  I first noticed that there was a piece of tile in the bathroom that was repaired and didn't look great.   No problem, instead of sending it back to the Manf. they would lay Purgo on top through out the trailer.  Well no it was only in the bathroom and layed so I couldn't match it through out the trailer.   Life goes on..  It was caused now I know from water damage.

While at an event a few months later I didn't feel great, shook it off and when on.  I then realized that it was every time I was in the trailer.

6 mo. later I was watching a movie, sitting at the table in the pop out when it started to rain.....between me and the movie.

To make the longest story short, in approx. one year from that I haven't seen my trailer for 6 months of that time.  It has traveled the western states.  Finally it was transported 500 miles away to a RV dealer.  They removed the ceiling in the front lq to find it infested with mold.

So after 3 months and traveling 1000 miles and 10 hours to retrive my trailer the orginal leak in the bathroom was not addressed.  I can see mold growing up the wall in the kitchen, and in the bathroom closet.

Get a lawyer...tried.......no one wants to touch the case unless I've been physically hurt and hospitalized....not enough money in the case.

Bison's response " I there an RV dealer close you could take it to and get it fixed."  "We've put enough money into at this point."   What about the money I put into it.

Bottom line I could never sell this trailer to someone else knowing about the mold.  I voted for a new trailer, haven't seen that happen.  So here I am.....any suggestions.

Rodeo Mommy

rodeomommy
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-05-21 8:17 AM (#84382 - in reply to #84381)

Oh I almost forgot............Anyone have a Lakota they want to trade for a Bison??

Trying to have some humor.

RM

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-05-21 8:40 AM (#84384 - in reply to #84171)

Expert

You can effect litigation by yourself in your local small claims court. Your limitations will be the maximum your state allows for recovery, and in some cases, the hearing has to be held in the same jurisdiction in which the transaction took place.

Your only up front costs would be a deposit based on the amount of your suit and a fee to have your papers served. Both are refunded if you win, you forfeit them if you loose.

These hearings are low key compared to trials and attorneys are usually not involved. Your case is presented to a judge or magistrate, not a jury. The evidence is based on a preponderance of the evidence, which is a lesser standard than before a jury. You still have to have the proof of your mold and water problems, which can be provided by photos, documentation or witnesses etc.

Small claims court is set up exactly for cases like this; where it is not viable for an attorney to be involved because of monetary issues. Depending on your state's guidelines, your maximum recovery would range between $3k and $7.5k.

Gard

redman
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-05-21 8:46 AM (#84386 - in reply to #84171)

we have been looking at trailers for months. new, used, with lq without lq. everbody has good and bad stories about them all. the only trailer I have been told to stay away from is an exiss, which happens to be the ones we like best as far as pricing vs features vs our pockets (price we can afford). we purchased a brand new 5th wheel camper a few years ago. the jacks quit working at the dealorship the day we went to pick up. the tv and cd player quit working on our first trip out. they all have issues, especially glides (fortunate for us no leaks...yet.) does anyone have a horsetrailer you would recommend to us in 30000. range? new or used?
Candy girl
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2008-05-21 9:02 AM (#84387 - in reply to #84171)

Veteran

As with GM/Ford/Dodge conversations, you're going to hear pros and cons about every make of trailer out there. Everyone has their own opinion and experiences. Just review all the words of advice and make your own decision. Do an advanced search for what you need on this site and you're bound to find a trailer in your price range.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-05-21 9:52 AM (#84389 - in reply to #84386)

Expert

Originally written by redman on 2008-05-21 9:46 AM

does anyone have a horsetrailer you would recommend to us in 30000. range? new or used?

does anyone have a horsetrailer you would recommend to us in 30000. range? new or used?

It seems as if the installation of a LQ is equated with the quality of the trailer in which it is contained. If the LQ is built and installed by the same trailer manufacturer, then that brand is obviously to blame for any faulty construction techniques.

However, if the LQ conversion is installed by another company, then you have two separate issues; the trailer and the LQ. One is not necessarily indicative of another.

The accessories installed by the outside LQ company, involves a third party, again separating them from the trailer manufacturer.

A fourth entity can be involved by the addition of dealer installed options.

What all this means, is that some trailers' manufacturers are being blamed for poor installations of LQs and accessories, that were added to their trailers after they were built, and is not indicative of the trailer's construction or quality.

If a microwave fails that was made in China, that was installed by the Acme corp, in an xyz trailer, how is it that trailer's xyz reputation is degraded by this event? Yet it often happens.

Obviously every trailer manufacturer has certain standards, for the products that it installs and sells. This would also hold true for any conversion company with which it would conduct business. However, an aftermarket conversion, or component not built or installed by the trailer manufacturer, should not effect the reputation of a trailer.

To directly answer your question, I would recommend an Exiss new or used. I can see the glee in the naysayers eyes as they ready for combat. The facts are, there are thousand of pleased owners of Exiss trailers. I am one. For every criticism of Exiss, and equal negative amount can be directed against almost any other brand.

Gard

mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-05-21 10:26 AM (#84392 - in reply to #84171)

Extreme Veteran

I have to agree with Gard about the Exiss brand, the only reason we went with the Lakota was I liked how it was set up alot better than the Exiss.  The exiss dealer in our area uses the cheaper line of LQ packages.

Our Lakota has the top of the line LQ package and we got it for under 50k, it is a 12 ft shortwall, w/slide out, 3 horse, 8 ft wide and 7'6 tall. The stalls are also 36" wide, the exiss was like 28".  That made a HUGE difference as we haul drafts and they fit in the trailer with LOTS of room to spare.

The exiss w/out slide out was more expensive than the Lakota with a slide out.

We have solid cherry wood interior, with real leather couch (plot the pleather the Exiss had).

We also priced out Bisons, Sundowners as well and we got a heck of a lot more in our Lakota.  What is nice is everything is done at one place.  They are not shipped out for conversion.  I really like the decor in my trailer.

There are a couple things I would have done different, and that would have been drawers installs, and an extra step to the bunk area.  Which we plan on getting put in.  We are also adding a hay rack to the top as well.

I love that everything is accessible one handed and easy to open/operate.

I do like the Exiss brand, but definitely have to say I do really like my Lakota, and it pulls like a dream.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-05-21 10:40 AM (#84394 - in reply to #84392)

Expert

I know this will sound like bragging,and my mama taught me better than to brag or boast about things that I've been blessed with.

But if I could figure out a way to post some large pictures on here such as the ones cowpony posts on her trail threads,pictures of our Sierra Interior in our Exiss trailer,you'd crap down both legs,to put it bluntly.

Trailers are like trailers,like cars are like cars,only LQ trailers are subject to be only as nice as either the conversion company used to finish it out,the options that are chosen for that trailer and LQ package,or both.

I've seen several,SEVERAL new trailers,Bloomer,Sundowner,4Star,ect and I have to say that the Sierra interior in ours is the best conversion I have ever seen in a trailer of this price and size.It is a 12' SW,8W,7'6" tall,and the layout is wonderful.The cabinets are every bit as nice as custom cabinets in my kitchen as I have said before.The fabrics they used for the sofa and the bedspread are beautiful,the knobs,the lighting,flooring,all very nice detailed.The countertops are a beautiful laminate called 'Oxide" like rusty metal would appear,and trimmed around in bands of oak.The wallcoverings are a pretty light leather like material.Everything was finished out top notch and very well.I saw a brand new platinum 4H this past weekend,well over 75K,and the interior was nothing like the one in our trailer.So,you get what you pay for,and we've been very satisfied with our purchase.

I love how someone will get on here asking advice about what kind of trailer to buy,and first thing out of their mouth is: "I've heard to stay away from Exiss." Love it.Some things never change.

Edited by crowleysridgegirl 2008-05-21 10:48 AM
Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-05-21 11:15 AM (#84396 - in reply to #84171)

Redman - Candy girl said it best. My trailer is better than your trailer.....

For every person that likes Exiss, you will find a person that doesn't like Exiss. It isn't because they have looked at it, or even used it. Someone told them, or because they have something that is better. People will form their judgements on what they have, and in turn form judgements on what they don't have. Exiss isn't for everyone. Neither is Lakota. Or Bison. Or 4-Star. Or Platinum Coach. Or Sundowner. Or Hart. Or Bloomer. Or any one of the other 40 aluminum trailers out there.

Use people's own experiences with their own trailer to help you make a determination. Not what John Doe told them about it. Look for trailers in your price range and then research the brands. Make your determination from those things. When someone tells you to stay away from Brand A, ask them what their problems were with it. Usually it will be "so and so's neighbor two miles down the road had one and..." Throw those opinions away.

Good luck on your trailer search.

To the OP - It sounds like they are getting you taken care of. Problems are going to arise on any brand. It is all about how they resolve those problems.

cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-05-21 11:38 AM (#84398 - in reply to #84171)

Extreme Veteran

Saw this thread title awhile back and had to see what the "honeymoon" was all about. I'm sooooo  sorry, that's a big bummer, I would be so excited to use my LQ if I had one then be bummed about the pains in the butt stuff...............

I have to say, I love my little 2h slant gn with the front tack/sleeping area as my camping space......

ASJ
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2008-05-21 12:28 PM (#84402 - in reply to #84171)

Veteran

Rodeo Mommy,

Have you thought of checking with your insurance company? We have done several insurance claims where there was water damage and mold in trailers. We just rip it out and rebuild after the leak is fixed. If you have a good insurance company and coverage it might be worth looking into.

Just a thought...

Good Luck

redman
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-05-21 7:03 PM (#84416 - in reply to #84171)

I appreciate the input.  As I said, we like the Exiss.  We   haven't looked at a lot of LQ trailers.  Basically because of where we want to be on price.  The Exiss LQ in the low 30,000 range did not impress me a lot.  I went to look at a NICE 4H Exiss with a beautiful LQ and slide.  The lady really needs to move it, she is in a financial crunch, but owes over what it is worth.  My husband about freaked out at the weight of the trailer.  We don't do a lot of traveling yet.  And do have a stock trailer.  However, moving those #@%^ rubber mats in and out of our trailer is wearing us out.  Which, lately has been about every weekend.  As far as a used 4H with a dressing room, we have found several that have been priced fairly well. 

Most of our closest friends have exiss trailers and are totally happy with them.  As a matter of fact, one told us to call a dealorship where he purchased his.  The guy at the Dealership is the guy that told me that Exiss is "junk, stay away from those trailers".  Which is why I ended up posting.

Since I am here, does anyone know anything about a Sooner Vaquero?  It is a 2002.  I have "google searched" and can't find much, as to the specs.

Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-05-21 7:15 PM (#84417 - in reply to #84171)

Extreme Veteran

I love my Sierra Big Sky LQ also. The conversion makes or breaks the trailer in my opinion. I have only seen a hand full of conversions to match it.

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-05-21 9:18 PM (#84420 - in reply to #84171)

Expert

I am not bashing anybody's choices, but will say we are well pleased with our CM, Sundowner, and Exiss!! And they do get used!

Oh, use some vice grips to help move those mats, makes life aLOT easier!

calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2008-05-21 11:31 PM (#84427 - in reply to #84386)

Elite Veteran

We are very happy with a gently used LQ we bought a little over one year ago... however, we think that Farrell's in the Oklahoma City area was the most trustworthy dealer and had the best used LQ's. We did not happen to by from him because the trailer we fell in love with sold before we could move on it... Good luck.
rodeomommy
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-05-22 10:12 PM (#84520 - in reply to #84402)

Thanks, I hadn't tried with the insurance company just yet.....I'm concerned about mold spores staying around forever.  Also the chance of higher insurance rates after the claim.....for something that was not my doing.

Thanks again I'll keep that in mind.

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-05-23 2:14 AM (#84527 - in reply to #84171)

Expert

Mold abatement should be covered by your insurance...

Not knowing which state you are in...if your state have passed laws dealing with mold abatement/disclosure...you would be legally required to tell whoever you come to sell this unit to in the future

If you decide on a legal action...DO NOT GO TO SMALL CLAIMS COURT...hire and attorney and do it properly...

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-05-23 8:36 AM (#84552 - in reply to #84527)

Expert

Originally written by PaulChristenson on 2008-05-23 3:14 AM

If you decide on a legal action...DO NOT GO TO SMALL CLAIMS COURT...hire and attorney and do it properly...

As stated by Rodeomommy "Get a lawyer...tried.......no one wants to touch the case unless I've been physically hurt and hospitalized....not enough money in the case.

Small claims works when lawyers don't

Gard

SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2008-05-25 4:31 PM (#84635 - in reply to #84171)

Elite Veteran

Always try your new or used trailer in your driveway or yard etc. before you take it out.This way you are close to home and tools incase you have any problems.Then you can get them fixed before you ruin your trip.
Juliblee
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-06-04 2:30 PM (#85204 - in reply to #84171)

Reading your post about living quarters/Lakota was very interesting.  I was in the market for a gooseneck with LQ recently and was having a hard time finding something suitable.  I found an ad "moving to Florida" from Michigan.  I contacted the person and she had what I was looking for, except it was a brand I had never heard of in Florida.  It is a Merhow.  I did my research and made a deal with this person.  She was able to transport her horse to Florida in her own trailer and I was able to get the trailer I needed delivered to my front door.

It is a 2005 with 8ft shortwall slideout.  What a trailer.  It is a 3 horse slant load with a ramp.  A nice feature is two back doors.  I do not have to open both to get to my tack.  This manufacturer thought of everything.  I even have a stainless steel foldup step (about the size of the ball of my foot) that allows me to climb up and open the window above the fender.  But everything works in the L/Q's.  I feel this was a real deal for me.  If anyone has the opportunity to find a Merhow I would go look at it.

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-06-08 3:10 AM (#85377 - in reply to #84171)

As far as the Bison Stratus is concerned, you do need to see an attorney, someone in the area of contracts/consumer protection etc. not a personal injury attorney. Property damage cases are not usually done on a contingent fee, you will probably have to pay the attoney but may have a chance at recouping some if not all of your fees and expenses...and right now you essentially have a worthless trailer so go see an attorney sooner rather than later....If you have insruance on it, file a claim, if it is financed write a letter to the financing company explaining the problems and letting them know their collateral is worthless....they will probably be very interested in helping you get the trailer repaired or replaced. Best of luck to you.