Need feedback on Titan horse trailers
canchaser1587
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-05-15 3:30 AM (#83976)
Subject: Need feedback on Titan horse trailers

New User

How dependable are they? Do they tend to rust easily? Any info on them would be great!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
sdm
Reg. Dec 2007
Posted 2008-05-15 7:49 AM (#83985 - in reply to #83976)
Subject: RE: Need feedback on Titan horse trailers

I have a 2000 Titan stock combo that I bought new. The trailer has had minimal rust. The factory tires were junk. A buddy of mine has 2005 Titan 3 horse with mangers and it is a really nice pulling trailer but, he had to replace the factory tires because the belts in the radials broke. Great trailer, just need to upgrade tires.
reddun25
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-05-15 10:57 AM (#83998 - in reply to #83976)

Regular

We have a 2007 AValanche I - 2 horse. It is heavy, pulls ok..and has rusted some and it is stored inside. Ours also has the stock sides and it really sucks the gas in the truck because the back door does not have any open slots (bad design IMO) and the wind has no where to escape. We bought the trailer new in October 2007 and have used it a couple of times. My biggest beef is the wiring issues we have had. I am not sure if it is common...but we had to get it totally rewired and the interior wire is completely cut off so we couldn't even get it wired into the adapter. We bought it sight unseen so that was no-no #1 because otherwise we would have known. But we just assumed everything would have worked in a brand new trailer! Needless to say, we will never buy another one. With the gas it takes to pull it...we are better off taking our C&C 10' 3H LQ everywhere.
dallyup31
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2008-05-15 1:53 PM (#84018 - in reply to #83976)

I have owned 2 Titans, a 96 stock combo and a 99 4 horse.

Did not have factory tires on either when I bought them.

For the money they are the nicest steel trailers out there.
Aluiminums oxidize and you have to have them acid washed.
Pros and cons to all.
Would buy another in a heart beat.
nd deb
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2008-05-15 3:17 PM (#84020 - in reply to #83976)

Veteran

I have a 1998 renegrade and it still looks like new.  It has sat outside mostly too.   I have been really happy with my trailer. 
barstow
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-05-15 4:16 PM (#84025 - in reply to #83976)

Veteran

I have a 2007 Avalanche II and am very satisfied. No problem with the tires yet, hauls nice - yes it's heavy. The Galvaneal is doing well, even where the horses have scratched the paint. The undercarriage looks great, even after a tough Maine winter. There are some spots with surface rust, only the sheet metal is galvaneal, the hardware is steel. No problem with the wiring so far.

Overall for the money, I would say it's a good trailer. I liked that I was able to pick my options a la carte. Mine has drop down windows on the head side, with stock slats on the butt side. I take the plexiglass out in the summer, and slide it back in for fall, winter and spring hauling. Escape door at the front horse, rear folding tack and a really good size DR. All this and more for $8K delivered.

memory
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2008-05-15 6:24 PM (#84030 - in reply to #83976)

Veteran

I liked my Titan steel 3 horse slant.Stock sides and gooseneck. I bought it new and it had good tires on it. It sat outside for 7 years and had minimal rust. I had some door poping open issues with the dressing room door. It held a nice resale value. Sold it for 800.00 less than I paid for it.
Zipitude
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2008-05-15 8:23 PM (#84037 - in reply to #83976)

Veteran

I have a 2000 Renegade II 4 horse. This has been a very good trailer. I bought it used in 2003 and have used it alot. I have probably pulled it on average 5000 to 7500 miles a year, and it pulls very well. It is a heavy trailer, but rust has never been an issue. The Galvaneal steel does its job as far as warding off rust. I also hsd tire issues, but the tires were 6 years old when I started having problems. This has been a great trailer, although I probably wouldn't buy another one, only due to the fact that my next trailer will be a much bigger and fancier LQ trailer. If I was going to buy another small or non LQ trailer, I would buy another one.
Black Velvet
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-05-15 9:04 PM (#84043 - in reply to #83976)

Black Velvet
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-05-15 9:09 PM (#84044 - in reply to #83976)

I have a 2003 Titan Renegade and I love it. The galvaneal is holding up real well and still looks great. It's kept inside during the winter. The only real beef I have about the trailer is the tack compartment. I can't swing out the saddle racks without moving everything out from under them. And the lever to release it to move out or in is on the bottom under the saddles. A very poor design. I have to have a step stool to reach the bridal racks because they are clear at the top of the wall. Other than that, the trailer pulls like a dream and I wouldn't change anything about it.
Kansashoss
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2008-05-16 9:13 PM (#84099 - in reply to #83976)

I have a 2004 Titan Classic 2 GN and would purchase any Titan trailer again in a nanno second.  The only thing I would change is the divider- it's solid and I would prefer one which is grilled/barred at the head section for better ventilation and to allow the first horse to see what else is in the trailer w/ it.  I haven't phoned Titan to see if they make such a creature.

On three occasions I've phoned Titan w/ questions.  Each time my question was answered promptly and w/ first class service.  Once was for new rubber door stoppers- they sent those free of charge and I had them w/in two days.  The second time was to get a new cover for the camper top in my DR.  It blew off in a wicked wind storm as I was driving through Iowa.  The third time was to talk to them about the tires which came w/ my trailer.  The gentlemen I spoke w/ gave me a tutorial in "wear and tear" on trailer tires which correspondly exactly with what my local tire guy said. IOW, no BS.  It was refreshing and the reason I'll stick w/ Titan for steel horse trailers.

lithic
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-05-26 11:34 AM (#84666 - in reply to #83976)

New User

I just purchased a 2004 Renegade Titan II 3 horse w/ living quarters. I live in California and I picked it up in Wisconsin and brought it home. The previous owner said it had had little use. It looks like the trailer may have been used once, it's pristine. You would not know this trailer is 4 years old except for some of the style changes in the 2008 trailers.I had my cousin take it to an RV repair place that they use for their trailers in Wisconsin and had it gone over before I drove out to pick it up. The brake linings were shot. But everything else was in great working order. This trailer pulled very nice and straight and tracked really well with our truck. As another poster mentioned rust is minimal, you'd have to look closely to find rust at all. This trailers paint is beautiful. I washed it and am in the process of waxing it, though the paint is still shiny. This trailer looks brand new and it's been out side for 4 years. I have to say that I'm really pleased with my purchase. I'd be happy to supply pictures contact me privately.

Edited by lithic 2008-05-26 11:55 AM
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2008-05-26 12:37 PM (#84668 - in reply to #83976)

Elite Veteran

We had a Titan Classic II in 2002. We put a very nice weekender LQ and enjoyed it until we had to upgrade to a larger LQ. It was a great trailer, easy to pull, very nice and looked brand new when we sold it. We used it a lot and pulled it everywhere. Just keep it washed out and waxed and it will probably outlast most.
barstow
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-06-02 6:04 AM (#85016 - in reply to #83976)

Veteran

Another thumbs up for Titan trailers. "It takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin." (Yes, I am giving away my age!)

Yesterday, I hauled a horse for a friend.Looking back on this episode, I realize two things that we should have done considering what we knew about this mare: we should have hauled the mare alone - or if she had to be hauled with another, it should have been another mare.The two things we knew- She had once been trampled in a stock trailer; and she had raging heat cycles...

Very long story short, we made the 80 mile trip with this mare just raging in the trailer. Kicking, bucking, squealing, throwing her weight around. (for a variety of reasons, I didn't turn back - kept going).

When we got to the destination, we pulled my very exhausted, but otherwise calm gelding out, and opened the divider to let her out. She was so enraged and frantic, that she just kept freaking out. Kicking, bucking squealing for all she's worth. With the divider out of the picture, she was giving it everything she had. She would not back out and finally we calmed her enough to bring her through the front escape door.

Her injuries, gash to front cannon (5 stitches), scrapes to her hip, hock is swollen, cut but no apparent serious damage.

After pressure washing the trailer to remove blood which was everywhere from that front leg gash, including the opposite fender (outside), sweat, hair, urine and manure, the trailer hardly showed any signs of the blow up.

My trailer's injuries: One bar on the divider is bent, the kick mat is dented and scored in one spot from repeated kicks and the sheet metal has two quarter size bulges. A few surface scratches on the front wall. And the door hold back broke. (when we tried to unload her she really rocked that trailer and it just snapped) That's it. I was totally amazed.

Now, I don't want this to turn into what I should have done - I know now we made some mistakes. I also don't want to get into "Why didn't you wrap her legs" - wasn't my horse - didn't know that this would happen.

The purpose of the post is to say how impressed I am with my Titan - This 1000# horse tried her best to bust out of it, and it shows very little damage....I am going to have the suspension inspected though, just to be sure.

gottaride
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2008-06-04 11:04 AM (#85188 - in reply to #83976)

We have a 2004 GN classic; of all the steel trailers out there, Titans seem the nicest. No issues with mine; its kept outside all year- very minimal rust, but we keep up on the waxing (at least 2x's is best) We use the kinds of wax truckers use on Semis- very tough stuff, keeps our trailer looking brand new.  I have a friend that has an Avalanche, she loves it. It doesnt get used much, sits out all the time too and still in great shape. Havent had an issue with the tires- interesting that some of you mentioned that. I'll have to keep a close eye on them LOL. Ours is &'6 tall, with an extended dressing room; we bought it w/a fairly stipped down dressing room (carpet only) b/c we thought we would finish it ourselves- ha ha; I may have to pay someone eles to do it, dont have the time or the know-how, and hubby is OTR and never home. Would like to have it at least insulated/paneled, nothing fancy. Anyway, good trailers, I like em'.