DIYers: How much did it cost you?
KrystleChoco
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2008-05-12 9:54 AM (#83752)
Subject: DIYers: How much did it cost you?

How much did it cost you to put in your own LQ's?

How much time and what did you put in your interior?

I'm thinking I can be a DIYer and put in my own LQ, but I just want a basic idea of the time and costs to do it yourself.

Thanks!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Sharon
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-05-12 2:48 PM (#83782 - in reply to #83752)
Subject: RE: DIYers: How much did it cost you?

Veteran

I can't answer your question, but it would probably be helpful to know what size space you're working with.  There's a big difference between a 4' shortwall and a 12' shortwall. 
busterchops
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2008-05-12 6:49 PM (#83790 - in reply to #83752)

I would also be curious to know ballpark cost for DIY weekender/LQ - Mine has a 5' SW already insulated/paneled and wired 110.

KrystleChoco
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2008-05-12 8:48 PM (#83797 - in reply to #83752)

I'm looking to purchase a new trailer--so the space would most likely be a 4' short wall and I'm guessing a 6' long wall.

eclipse
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-05-12 9:12 PM (#83802 - in reply to #83797)

If your short wall is 4 feet, likely your long wall will be in the neighborhood of 8 feet.

I finished out my current trailer (2 foot short wall, 6 foot long wall) with just insulation, carpet, linoleum, and some shelves and cupboards. I spent around $1000 on materials and of course--my time was FREE!

I just ordered a longer trailer with 4 foot short wall and 8 foot long wall. It is coming from the manufacturer with carpet in the gooseneck, laminate flooring, and 110 wiring. The rest is up to me. I do have some plans and ideas, but most of them will get done in the winter. I plan to insulate the gooseneck, and use it as is for the summer. I suspect that my current floorplan will change. I need to sleep 4, so in addition to the custom queen mattress I made that fits in the gooseneck portion, I plan to have a set of bunkbeds built into the 8 foot wall (door is in the short wall for that very reason. The top bunk will fold up,and the bottom bunk will be used as a couch/seating during the day. But--maybe this will change.
A year from now, I can tell you what finishing out a 4 foot short wall will cost.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-05-12 11:34 PM (#83812 - in reply to #83752)

Expert

The real cost of DIY is when you go to sell your trailer...a poorly DYI job will actually lower the value of your trailer...
ingramacres
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-05-13 7:24 AM (#83822 - in reply to #83752)

A good DIY will also increase the value of your trailer. You would be suprized how many people will buy a trailer with a weekender package in it over an empty dressing room.

We spent about $800.00 that includes the mobile home door that we put in for the walk through. You can see my pictures in my photo album. We have not finished ours yet but have all the material to finish it.

wyndancer
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2008-05-13 7:36 AM (#83823 - in reply to #83752)

Extreme Veteran

Most DIY LQ are probably never going to equal a RVIA certified conversion in terms of resale.Is was looking at trailers at Gold Medal in Wisconsin. They had a row of DIY LQ's. And they SHOULD have had a couple of people tearing out the nasty jobs....maybe then they could have sold the trailers.Putting a cost on a DIY LQ is pretty hard. I'm within a couple of nites of finishing mine. I guess it depends on what you're all looking to put in. LP/110 fridge? Hot water heater? Furnace? Fluorescent lighting? LED lighting? Oak panel cabinets? If I had to guess, the bride will know for sure, I'd guess $3000-4000 on mine. But then again Pony Hills wanted almost $12k and I supplied the LP tanks, furnace and fridge....it was a trailer that somebody thought they were going to finish, but never got it done.
Turfa
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-05-13 9:12 AM (#83833 - in reply to #83752)

Veteran

I spent about $2500 on the weekend package in my 4' short wall.  I have water under pressure and a microwave.  I have no frig or water heater.  A lot of what I did was because I already had the power tools.  If you PM your email I will send the power point presentation that I put together.

Turfa

barntoys4mom
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-05-14 8:51 AM (#83926 - in reply to #83833)

Veteran

I'd love to see your powerpoint as well. Sounds like what I'm working on!
ediea
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-05-15 11:29 AM (#84003 - in reply to #83833)

New User

I just purchased a 3 horse slant, I believe a 4 foot short wall, and have a walkthrough door from dressing room to horses.  Can you tell me what kind of insulation to use in dressing area? Where to find and cost.

ediea
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-05-15 11:31 AM (#84004 - in reply to #83833)

New User

I would love to see your powerpoint presentation. Could you show me how to get to it.  or email it to me at ediea@casstel.net
nd deb
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2008-05-15 12:32 PM (#84010 - in reply to #83752)

Veteran

For mine it cost about 1500 to 2000 for us to do it ourselves to insulate, panel, put some cabinets and a 3ft vanity in from home depot and menards,  make a bench/couch that pulls out into a bed, put a electric sprayer water tank for water tank, blinds, wood work.  This is a 4 ft short wall, 8 ft long wall and 6.8 wide.   Otherwise, taking it to someone was 3ooo to just insulate and panel.

The insulation and paneling takes some time but it could be done over a wkend.  The other stuff I just bought and stuck in there.

I get alot of compliments on mine.  It looks better then some of the professionally done trailers.  The wood work in it adds alot to it.

If you want to see pics let me know.  dknudson@rrt.net 

Edited by nd deb 2008-05-15 12:40 PM
JEAN
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-04-25 9:42 AM (#103934 - in reply to #84010)

hi, yes I would like to see your pics, of the diy lq you did. I have a 4ft short wall & 8ft wall w/my entry door. Thanks,Jean 
Turfa
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2009-04-25 11:20 AM (#103935 - in reply to #83752)

Veteran

Jean, PM me your email, and I will send the powerpoint.

Turfa

endurogirl2
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2009-04-25 11:30 AM (#103936 - in reply to #83752)

New User

Hi, I am also in the process of doing my trailer, it is 4ft short wall 8ft long wall. I have already insulated it, dc lights and ac. Now at the point where I need to decide on how to finish it out so any inspiration, pictures would be great. I would also like to see your pictures, my email is tek2@swbell.net
wpfd269
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2009-04-25 3:47 PM (#103938 - in reply to #83752)

I have 1600.00 in my DIY. My trailer is a 2ft. short wall--insulation, fir stipping, 110 electrical with lights and switches and plugins, paneling, 13,500 btu a/c with heatstrip, and built my own cabinets and cabinet/steps going up to the gooseneck area. Cabinets finished with cabinet grade plywood and polyurethaned. It took approx. 2 months to finish, but that was in my off time. It is challenging, but when you get it done it is worth it. If you need some pictures for some ideas, pm me.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-04-27 9:07 AM (#104013 - in reply to #83752)

Expert

Originally written by KrystleChoco on 2008-05-12 9:54 AM

How much did it cost you to put in your own LQ's?

How much time and what did you put in your interior?

I'm thinking I can be a DIYer and put in my own LQ, but I just want a basic idea of the time and costs to do it yourself.

Thanks!

The first thing to qualify is what is a LQ? Some people believe a LQ is an unfinished dressing room with the addition of a matress, brush box  and a coat hanger. Others like me, think that it should have sleeping, bath and cooking ammenities along with environmential appliances to make the space comfortable.

How much does it costs? What does your car cost? Do you own a Geo Metro or a Bugatti Veyron? How much does your house cost? Do you own a modest single wide mobile home or an estate on the shore? How much was the LQ interior? Is it modest, or does it have vaulted ceilings, twinkle lights, custom cabinetry, a fire place and a large plasma TV?

There are obviously many variables that effect the final costs, whether you are a DIYer or purchase one ready made. What do you want installed? A 13.5k BTU air conditioner, all three pieces costs ~$600. Do you want ducting, a remote thermostat, 15k instead? That's more. Do you want a toilet? That and a tank cost ~$320, add $50 for a valve and fittings. Small two way fridge? $600 plus gas and 12v DC. A large two door instead? $1100. Water heater? $300 plus a pump $80, water tank ~$100, plumbing fittings etc $100.

Chromed plastic faucet or chromed brass? $20 and $100. Custom granite vanity top and back splash? $350.  Or eight granite tiles @$2.50 ea for $20.

Custom cabinets? Lumber yard cabinets? RV paper covered, stapled and glued chip board cabinets?

Three conductor marine quality stranded 12 awg wiring is $150 a hundred foot roll. Household single strand is a fraction of the cost. How many outlets? What kind of lighting?

Do you want curtain valances? ShowTime will sell you one made of about three feet of crown moulding, for $100+. It contains about $5 worth of wood. Want a micro wave? Conversion campanies will sell you one for hundreds, WalMart for ~$70 

Building or buying a LQ is exactly like buying or building a house on a smaller scale. You have to figure out what you want, the quality of the products, and what you will need to cover all the surfaces.

BOL  Gard

JEAN
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-04-29 3:01 PM (#104177 - in reply to #84010)

HELLO, YES I WOULD TO SEE THE PICS OF YOUR DIY. I ALSO HAVE A 4FT SHORT WALL / MY 8FT IS ON THE CURB SIDE (ENRTY DOOR IN MIDDLE OF IT)WHAT OR  DID YOU DO TO CEILING. I AM THINKING ABOUT USING A LINER.THE MOST IMPORTANT PART IS GETTING THE NOSE DONE CORRECTLY / UP IN THE  CURVE.THANK YOU IN ADVANCE. JEAN

MY REG. E-MAIL IS: darksladytango@yahoo.com 

JEAN
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-04-29 3:07 PM (#104178 - in reply to #103935)

hello, yes here is my e-mail address:

darksladytango@yahoo.com

I await your pp/ thanks,jean

TPenning
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-04-29 11:26 PM (#104200 - in reply to #83752)

Veteran

Well, let's see. In my last trailer, a really ugly steel thing that was graced with 10' of floor space in the dressing room - square floor, no slant walls - the cost was just shy of $1600.

For that price we:

Rewired the entire trailer (26') inside and out, for both AC and DC.  Installed new lights, switches, and outlets.

Installed two ceiling crank out vents.

Framed and insulated walls and ceiling, but not floors.

Installed high quality linoleum flooring over a 3/8" subfloor, which was over the old plank floor.

Installed 1/2" grade A plywood, primed and painted, for the walls and ceiling.  For the curve between wall and ceiling, we used a plastic type of board, very thin and flexible, and simply bent it to fit.  It looked very custom, was easily removable, and all the trailer wiring was behind it for easy access.

Built a custom L-shape bench with storage underneath on one side, and a fold out to a double bed on the other.

Installed a table with removable post and base.

Built and installed 4 saddle racks, 4 blanket racks, 8 bridle hooks, and 2 wall mount baskets for tack.

Installed a door organizer.

We had a very tidy tack space at one end of the DR, and living accommodations for 4 at the other end.  I much prefer my current, newer trailer, but I truly miss the DR in the old one.

We did this trailer in spare moments, evenings and odd days.  It took about 6 weeks, mostly because we needed to do a little body work on the old trailer, and the welder just wasn't cooperating. Also, there is no such thing as two spaces in a trailer with the same measurements, so measuring and re-measuring is very time consuming.  Every stud has different spacing!! We actually had to scribe the edges of the plywood we put in the gooseneck because there was no such thing as a straight line there at all.  When we were done, we had a sheet of plywood that looked like a crooked hourglass, but it fit like a glove and looked perfectly straight once installed.  Who knew?

I should point out, no where in this list is there plumbing, sinks, showers, microwaves, stoves, or satellite TV.  We never missed them, and I'm glad I didn't have to pay for them.

RAF
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2009-04-30 7:44 AM (#104206 - in reply to #83752)

Regular

Alot of horse trailer owners do there own 4 ft. LQ's when a LQ company does it they have alot of overhead costs RVIA , PLI , Employee cost . It cost as much to put a 4 ft. LQ as it does to put in a 8 ft LQ . you have the same products but a smaller space so the interior company has people waiting around to get into the trailer to do there jobs . You can get a basic package like insulate and panel with a few custom cabs. for around $4000.00 an average company makes about $250.00 profit off of that .A complete package loaded cost $11,000.00 . Most LQ installers don't make the money you think they do . A small company pays out on the average of about $250.00 an hour just to keep the doors open . And with that you get a warranty . 1 bill for a warranty eats up all the profit that the company made . And they built the trailer for free .This is why you see higher costs on LQ's
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-04-30 9:34 AM (#104213 - in reply to #83752)

Expert

We are in the process of building a 4' LQ into an Exess Event. I have a similar trailer with a Sierra interior, and we are using this as a model to copy/modify.

So far the insulation, flooring, ceiling panels and major appliances are installed. This includes an air conditioner, water heater and pump, power and escape vents, and not yet installed, holding tank, toilet, cook top, refig and cowboy shower. The electrical is rough wired and the cabinets are started.

The costs to date are $3158 with aprox another $500-$750 needed to finish. That price does not include the mattress. I don't know what Sierra charges for a similar product, but I would expect this trailer owner is realizing a substantial savings.

If you compare this to the pricing RAF recently indicated, the owner is realizing a potential savings of almost two thirds. We are using new, name brand products, in a quality installation. I would classify this interior as being equal to most, middle priced, commercially sold products. It is not intended to duplicate the high end offerings, that feature multiple layered ceilings, twinkle lights and fireplace installations.

It will have solid Cherry cabinetry with modern door panels, complete 12 v DC and 110v AC electrical systems, while being both battery and shore powered. It will include a propane service and a pressurised water system with a flushing toilet and holding tank.

We enjoy our LQ, I'm sure this owner will enjoy his as well.

Gard

tobruk
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-04-30 2:32 PM (#104219 - in reply to #83752)

Veteran

Paul hit the nail on the head, a poorly done conversion is worse than none at all.  Folks are always offended when they want to trade and they equate the value of their un-approved "LQ" to 1500 a foot or so and we put a zero value on it.  In fact, we often deduct if we figure we have to tear out whatever's there.  Homemade interiors often add value but you still probably won't get out of it what you put in it.  You did it to use it and enjoy it.  So use and enjoy and take pride in the work that you did.  Try to do it as best you can so that it will add value later on.
jlong
Reg. Apr 2009
Posted 2009-04-30 3:19 PM (#104220 - in reply to #83752)

New User

I would love to have a copy of your powerpoint.  We have just finished stripping our trailer, added shower, water heater, water tank and pump.  We are going to begin the process of the wiring portion.  My husband was a little concerned about doing the ceiling.  We have a Exiss with a 8ft short wall 12 long wall and mid tack that we converted to a bathroom

Turfa
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2009-04-30 3:44 PM (#104222 - in reply to #83752)

Veteran

No Email, No Power Point.

Turfa

klaas
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-01-11 10:06 PM (#115144 - in reply to #83833)

We are also in the process of customizing our own dressing room. We have a 4' short wall with an 8' long wall. My handy husband is putting in a walk through door. We have the trailer insulated with furring strips running horizontally on 21" centers. I found a jacknife couch on craigslist and want to put in a fold down bunk for the youngest member of our four person family. We won't have much room for cabinets - but storage is a definite concern. No sink & no fridge. We are wondering about wiring and looking for suggestions. Would love to see your powerpoint on your trailer conversion. Thanksklaas@hersheytel.net
cliffj59
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2010-01-12 8:07 AM (#115150 - in reply to #115144)

Regular

I have about $2500 in materials and 200 hours working time in mine. Heres a link to some pictures of my conversion.

http://pets.webshots.com/album/573068102VpSZxX

I even built a storage box for the outside of the trailer which helps out alot.

Cliff

CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2010-01-12 9:48 AM (#115156 - in reply to #83752)
Subject: RE: DIYers: Need an awning ?

Extreme Veteran

Hope it is appropriate to mention here I have a 14 ft awning cloth for an A & E 8500 that I would make someone a great deal on. Its brand new in the box and cant be returned. Color is black and white, I think they call it pewter though. If someone needs an awning and wants to save money they can buy the hardware, which is the cheap part, and this cloth and have it installed. We bought it for the trailer that was wrecked. Trailer was totalled so I am stuck with an awning cloth I cant use. It came in after the wreck. It was right at $300 and I will take $150 plus exact shipping.

AQHA 123
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2010-01-13 3:33 PM (#115234 - in reply to #83752)

Veteran

I put a weekender in mine, I did everything to the highest standard. I'd guess it cost between 4 and 5 thousand to finish it. I was surprised how much it ended up costing me-- truth is it would have been cheaper having it done by a company. I don't think they could have done as good a job as I did though, most of the "professional" jobs I've seen look to have pretty average workmanship. I took my time and did everything first rate. I debated whether or not to put one in, as it turns out I am VERY happy I did, I use it and love it.
jakefreese
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-01-13 8:34 PM (#115255 - in reply to #83752)

Regular

I figure I will have close to $5000.  5' shortwall, shower, toilet, sink, water heater, furnace, yamaha or honda inverter generator, (Already have ac) awning, inverter, it adds up very fast.  And I want it done right.  I figure i will have 200 hrs into it also.  Im building cabinets under the GN to hold the furnace, water heater, converter, inverter, shore cord.....the brake work at the machine shop is adding up...And I think its getting a hydraulic jack too.
klaas
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-01-14 9:16 AM (#115265 - in reply to #83802)

I would love to see pics of what you have done with the bunks in your DR/LQ. I have the same size DR and am just getting started on the layout. Thanks!klaas@hersheytel.net
ImaSparkyAce
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-01-30 5:03 PM (#115929 - in reply to #83833)

Originally written by Turfa on 2008-05-13 9:12 AM

I spent about $2500 on the weekend package in my 4' short wall.  I have water under pressure and a microwave.  I have no frig or water heater.  A lot of what I did was because I already had the power tools.  If you PM your email I will send the power point presentation that I put together.

Turfa

Could you email me your powerpoint please? Tried to PM you but am unsure how to do that. Thanks! loganquarterhorses@hotmail.com
ukrhyslop
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-02-03 9:11 PM (#116121 - in reply to #83752)

My question is where did you buy, and how much was the shower unit?
ukrhyslop
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-02-03 9:12 PM (#116122 - in reply to #83752)

oh and how did you gehe matress back up in te bunk after all the wallswere put in?
RedParrotRodeo
Reg. May 2012
Posted 2012-05-29 11:49 PM (#144324 - in reply to #116122)

Some years ago we bought a 95 Titan 3h Slant with 4.5' short wall (no walk through) that had AC and wiring. It previously had lq but the owners tore it out and traded it in bare wall except the bed area still had insulation and paneling. We put furring strips and insulation in the remaining area, put antique brass/tin panels on the short wall, tooled leather-look wallpaper on the remaining walls and built in a counter top with sink (hand pump faucet and 12gal water tank), short naugehyde love seat with fringe trim along the bottom(too short for sofa), valances made with the naugehyde and fringe, storage steps up to the bed and LOTS of cabinets in the lq area and bed area. We had purchased a Coleman porta potty and ZODI portable hot water shower that we used in the first stall after the horses were out, installed a small microwave, coffee maker and away you go. The interior was tricked out with all kinds of coordinating cowgirl stuff like framed vintage Annie Oakley photos and antique signs. Worked pretty well and actually took us only about 3 weeks to finish most of it and after work hours and around $1500 or less. A very presentable weekender which was actually nice to look at and not all boxy/wooden looking like some of them. We outgrew it though because we were horse camping so much more and spending longer amounts of time in it, where a bigger lq was needed. This one goes on Craigslist and out on the berm to be sold. I have no doubt it will go soon since we live where there are no trailer sales for a minimum of a 3 hour drive.