Need advice on whether to trade SUV for truck
Mihorses
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-05-07 7:54 PM (#83456)
Subject: Need advice on whether to trade SUV for truck

I took my 2000 Expedition in today because I heard noise when I came home from trail riding alst night. The problem needs new shocks, bearings, transmission flush and new brake from June needs replaced. Expedition is Eddie Bauer with towing package and has close to 90,000 miles. Total 2100.00 and I have 2200 to pay it off. The place that is fixing it has race horses and they haul, he says the Expedition really isn't a good tow vehicle but with extra heavy shocks etc, it should be all right. I tow a 2004 2 horse Bison with dressing room about 3800lbs unloaded.

So do I have them put it back together and trade it in for a truck and what kind if I do? I can't afford a brand new and do I want payments for another 5-7 years? What truck would you look for? Towing and fuel economy? Or do I have it fixed and wait till they have more fuel efficient trucks or trade trailer for lighter stock trailer or look at Brenderup, whick I bought one two years ago and got a lemon and sold it.

Help, quickly! All thoughts and comments appreciated, ahead of time.

I need to let them know in morning.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-05-07 9:39 PM (#83464 - in reply to #83456)
Subject: RE: Need advice on whether to trade SUV for truck

Expert

I had a truck, bought an Expo, went back to a truck and have no reason to change again. Only you can figure out your finances. You have to choose whether you want a daily driver that tows, or choose a truck that you can use in daily usage. You will have to determine which is most important to you.

The Expo's mileage was poor while towing and empty, a gas truck isn't much different. In many cases, purchasing a newer vehicle to save mileage, costs more that the gas money you've saved. A used Expo has a very poor resale value. You can figure what the repair costs will be on your Ford, as compared to the purchase of a different vehicle. Changing vehicles doesn't mean you may escape equally expensive repairs, it only means you may have to spend your money on something else.

Bol  Gard

Edited by gard 2008-05-07 9:41 PM
barntoys4mom
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-05-08 8:12 AM (#83485 - in reply to #83456)
Subject: RE: Need advice on whether to trade SUV for truck

Veteran

We have both a large GMC SUV (16 mpg.) and GMC 3/4 ton truck (13 mpg). Looking at the entire picture, including just pulling a 2 horse, I would go with a nice used 1/2 ton 4x4. You'r all ready getting crappy gas mileage, so it won't be a shock! We will probably go back to a 4 door 1/2 ton 4x4 GMC truck when my Yukon dies just to get better gas mileage. Good luck!