Poll horse boots
Doc
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2008-05-04 3:45 PM (#83102)
Subject: horse boots

Hi, Everyone Have a question for you all . Instead of having your horses shoed. Has anyone used the horse boots? I was thinking about doing it this year to give my horses a break from shoeing. Have any of you had good results with them and what kind have anyone used?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Angelmay84
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-05-04 5:19 PM (#83105 - in reply to #83102)
Subject: RE: horse boots

Veteran

Original Old Macs, liked them a lot.  Never came off.  It helps if your farrier will teach you how to dress the flare on a hoof.  It keeps the boot fitting better between trims.

Amanda

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-05-04 6:56 PM (#83113 - in reply to #83102)

Expert

I had some basic EasyBoots in the trailer that I kept for a lost shoe emergency. So when I decided to go barefoot, I started with those and stay with Easyboot.

I started with the old style basic Easyboot. They occassionally came off.

I next bought Easyboot Epics. The gaiters make a world of difference in the boots staying on. Understand the gaiters are what I'd consider a consumable. You will replace periodically. For me it's about once a summer.

With these I started doing more longer and tougher rides. I found I broke lots of buckles and cables.  You can replace these parts on the newer boots. The ones I bought in 2005 you could not replace these parts. So I had to buy new boots.

So as I bought replacement boots I bought the newer EasyBoot BARES.  I like those a lot better. I've not had any problems with the bungie or cables that hold the boot on even on the roughest of rides.  They are tough to put on the first couple of times.  You will learn how to work with them with practice and they losen up as they get broke in. Don't try putting them on for the 1st time at a trail ride with 6 friends waiting for you. Install them at home and work the horse in a round pen or arena.  don't put them on and turn the horse out.  A bored horse will chew on the gaiter and ruin it.

Only the first few rides did I use boots on all four hooves. I mostly just use them on the front hooves now.  I never used any boots in arena's or soft footing.  Only on rocky trails.

This is what the older style Epics looked like after a 5 mile rocky trail.  As you can see the buckles are ripped right out. But the boots stayed on, even with broken buckles.

This is the type of trail we rode that tore the buckles up.

Edited by Painted Horse 2008-05-04 6:58 PM
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-05-04 7:31 PM (#83115 - in reply to #83102)

Elite Veteran

Hi...my IcePony Huginn has been barefoot for one year now. And we only booted once last riding season. I use Easy Care Epic boots. If you are going to try to keep your horses barefoot, I would strongly recommend that you find a natural barefoot trimmer who use Pete Ramey or Jamie Jackson methods. The key to getting great hooves with concavity is to do a "barefoot" trim with a mustang roll. Let me know if you have any other ???'s. There's a few barefoot lists on YahooGroups. You may want to check those out.