Taking Dogs With You
Angelmay84
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-04-23 8:16 AM (#82447)
Subject: Taking Dogs With You

Veteran

How many of you take your dog/dogs along with you when you go places with your horses?  Do you have any tips for making the trip easier for both dog and owner? Do you let your dogs loose in your trailer, or do they stay outside?  My little dog loves to go in the truck with me, and I always feel so bad leaving him home when I go away for the weekend.  I know he will need the usual supplies, but have any of you found some tips or tricks to make camping with your canine easier? 

Have any of you felt resentment from other campers over bringing dogs?

Amanda

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ingramacres
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-04-23 8:20 AM (#82448 - in reply to #82447)
Subject: RE: Taking Dogs With You

We actually started with our blue heeler puppy early on being on a leash. So now when we go on rides we take her with us. While we are out trail riding I do put her either in her kennel (wire cage) or we put her in the back of the horse trailer. We never let her run loose unless we are right there to keep an eye on her. We have changed now to a chain because she has learned how to eat the leashes made of fabric. We use one of those tie out chains that are for dogs. Then of course she sleeps with us in our bed at night.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-04-23 8:37 AM (#82449 - in reply to #82447)

Expert

(QUOTE) I know he will need the usual supplies, but have any of you found some tips or tricks to make camping with your canine easier? 

My answer is to.... "leave them at home!"

We got three Schipperke's. They don't go with us to the horse shows, and we don't take five horses and four donkey's to the dog shows! If you are trail riding for a weekend, then may be a little different. Just remember, If you got to take your dog with you.....Then keep him with you. I don't want him jumping on the side of my truck, trailer, cooler, grill, food..... ME!

So don't you have any ill feelings against me, if I were to kick him up side the head for attempting to piss on my wheelchair tire!!

Some folks look as though they have stopped by and cleaned out the dog pound. They spend more time looking for the dogs (and their kids, don't know which is worse) than they do riding. My dogs don't belong at a horse event and neither do yours.... That's just my hard a$$, selfish feeling.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-04-23 8:42 AM (#82450 - in reply to #82447)

Expert

We have two Jacks that go everywhere with us. The biggest problem with dogs at any event, is the owners. There are those who don't clean up the messes, who allow their animals to roam freely, and do nothing to prevent their dogs from barking all night.

If the dogs are too large to stay in the LQ at night, a kennel placed inside the stall area works quite well. A tie long enough to allow the dog(s) freedom to move about and seek shade under the trailer is handy. Heavy water dishes that won't be overturned easily are helpful. Plastic containers with snap lids keep their food and treats readily accessible.

Water, food, shade and containment are the main prerequisites for our dogs' welfare. Our dogs are let loose in the trailer, and we fight over who gets the couch first. A throw is necessary to keep the upholstery relatively clean, and a removable throw rug helps to alleviate the muddy paw prints on the carpeting. Whenever we are gone any length of time for classes, it's imperative that the air be left on. Just as with parked cars, the trailer will quickly heat up in warm weather.

We enjoy our dogs and are much more comfortable having them with us, rather than left in the custody of other people.

Gard

ilhorsechick33
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-04-23 8:57 AM (#82451 - in reply to #82447)

Never knew people could be so bitter towards dogs.  Evidentally someone does not know how to control them when they are camping.  I take my aussie everywhere with me.  I used to take 2, but my old girl has had to retire from riding.  My aussie girl never leaves my side and I never have to wonder where she is.  She does not poop in camp nor does she jump on anyone.  Everyone loves her and she even rides on with me when we have to ride down a highway or somewhere dangerous.  She sleeps in the LQ with me on the floor, I stay with friends and they welcome her.  However, they make their lab sleep in the horse compartment or outside.  I usually just take food for her as far as supplies.  She does not require to be tied or caged.  I do have a jack that will be going with me this year and I am sure she will have to have a cage to stay in at times. 

Edited by ilhorsechick33 2008-04-23 8:59 AM
longearsrule
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2008-04-23 9:00 AM (#82452 - in reply to #82447)

Extreme Veteran

I take my 3 dogs with me all the time. 2 dauchounds and a lab. They all ride good in the truck and I leave them in the trailer when I ride. I have a walk thru dog so I leave it open and leave their food and water back there. The small ones have learned to use the back to potty if I don't make it back in time. The people I go with on rides all have dogs and we always camp together so it hasn't been a problem. Of course some places require dogs to be on leashes at all times. One friend has one of those big crates for one of her dogs, the other one is on a chain while we ride. Our dogs don't bark when we are gone, so that helps as far as others in camp are concerned. I take extra treats and toys for them. You always seem to run into someone who doesn't like dogs, I guess that is just part of it and you just have to deal with and not let them ruin your time out with your dogs and friends. YOu shouldn't let your dogs be a nuisance to others and hopefully they are well mannered.

Edited by longearsrule 2008-04-23 9:07 AM
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-04-23 9:18 AM (#82453 - in reply to #82447)

Elite Veteran

Hi Amanda,

My two dogs go everywhere with me. Tips to make it easier. I would strongly suggest that you make sure your dogs are properly socialize to other dogs, people and activity. I would bring a crate, so that you can crate your dog while you are trail riding, tacking, messing, etc. I have a RV ...so my dogs stay in that while I ride, or if it's very hit...I do leave them in a crate under the awning. I also use a dog lead and make sure my dog is on that when in camp or on a leash.

Pick up after your dog's potty breaks. If you have a dog that likes to bark, you should try to train them...to be quite. To be honest....I would rather listen to a barking dog than loud....crying kids. HA!

Bring dog food, water dish, dog meds, dog blankets, treats, leash...etc with you. Make a list of what your dog needs and bring those items

>> Have any of you felt resentment from other campers over bringing dogs?

No...like I said above....some folks should leave their kids home.
ilhorsechick33
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-04-23 9:27 AM (#82454 - in reply to #82453)

I am totally with icepony, Bring the dogs, leave the kids.  I want the no barking dog/no screaming kid section of the campgrounds!!

Frankie001%
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2008-04-23 9:30 AM (#82456 - in reply to #82447)

Veteran

Yes!  I am also one who use to take my dog everywhere.  He was always on a leash and was somewhat quiet.  The children were noisier than him.  We always understood that not everyone wants a four footed friend visiting their campsite.   He had his own food and water.  It is nice whenever you need a time out or just to kick back you have a buddy.  A leash is a must, some training would help, sit, stay, quiet.  Keeping fresh water/food in a dry place is what we try to do.  retento nobody thinks your a hard but.  Everyone has gone through their share of misdirected campers.  I do not like other animals running through our camp but we also like animals.  It all comes down to how you are about keeping your animals and camp site.  We have been lucky - not everyone wants to do the same thing at the same time so there has been someone close to the campsite (husband likes to fish not ride).  We also start out early - we like to stop and check things out along the way - he got to go potty lots of times.     
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-04-23 9:39 AM (#82458 - in reply to #82449)

Elite Veteran

>> We got three Schipperke's. They don't go with us to the horse shows, and we don't take five horses and four donkey's to the dog shows! Are you attending day shows or weekend shows? Hard to leave dogs home for 3-4 days when you are horse camping.IMHO...dogs are family members...why would I leave them home?>>you got to take your dog with you.....Then keep him with you. I don't want him jumping on the side of my truck, trailer, cooler, grill, food..... ME! This should also apply to children! >> Some folks look as though they have stopped by and cleaned out the dog poundGOOD FOR THEM!! I love folks who rescue.
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-04-23 9:43 AM (#82460 - in reply to #82450)

Elite Veteran

>> The biggest problem with dogs at any event, is the owners. There are those who don't clean up the messes, who allow their animals to roam freely, and do nothing to prevent their dogs from barking all night.I would agree with you. But what happen those parents who do not control their bratty kids? Who scream non stop, cry all nite long, are at my trailer petting my ponies or trying to pet my dogs who are tied to my RV? >>We enjoy our dogs and are much more comfortable having them with us, rather than left in the custody of other people. YES!! I would not leave my dogs at home. It's rare that I take a vacation (non horse) due to the fact that I do not like to leave my dogs at home or with a dog sitter. They are my babies. I know...I'm weird. HA!
mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2008-04-23 9:50 AM (#82461 - in reply to #82447)

Elite Veteran

I take my mini hot dog with me camping. I don't let her run around or jump on peeps. I don't mind dogs being around camp as long as the owners respect others. But I have seen too many that don't, they let thier dogs run around the campground unsupervised. I will usually chase them away, if they become too much of a pain then i become a pain to the owners...... JMO
notfromtexas
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-04-23 9:53 AM (#82462 - in reply to #82447)

Veteran

One thing that no one has mentioned is that if you do decide to take your dogs somewhere, you must make sure that they are completely updated on all shots/vaccintions and you must HAVE the PROOF of it.  If you are traveling out of state check the rules of the states you are going to .  For example, your state may allow rabies vaccination once every three years-but other states it may be once a year, so you'd better be current. (By the way, a tag is not acceptable proof-it is neither dog nor date specific-so have the paperwork).  Your dog should remain on a leash at all times-that's just common sense.  Make sure he is well socialized-people will not ask before petting many times, and they may startle your dog into protective behavior.  Check with the campsite-do they allow dogs?  It sucks to drive all day and then not have a place to stay when you get there because they don't, and it's not fair to the other campers to sneak him in.  Finally, keep in mind that other animals (bears, wild cats, coyotes, etc) see your little dog as a snack.  It may be safer for him to stay at home in many instances.
HaulinHorses
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2008-04-23 10:00 AM (#82464 - in reply to #82447)

Regular

My little Jack Russell has me well trained.  She can sit wherever she wants in the truck, and she can sleep wherever she wants in the trailer.  I feel priviledged that she allows me to drive her around and share the truck and trailer with her.
barntoys4mom
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-04-23 10:04 AM (#82466 - in reply to #82447)

Veteran

I can see both sides of this fence. We raise dogs, but they do not go with me to horse shows, nor do we take our horse to field trails for the dogs. Each sport requires our entire attention. I will say that I have had more problems with "negligent" dog owners at horse shows. Nothing like going low and slow up against the rail, to have "Muffin" bark, crawl or jump out below the rail and scare the snot out of the horse, thus causing a chain reaction down the line. And on that note, I had a 2 year child do the same thing this past weekend during my junior class while the parents just sat and watched. It's all about being over responsible and making sure your pets/children are not bothering others. We don't camp, but I would rather have well behaved dogs next door than wild, uncontrolled children. And yes, we do have a child. Enjoy!
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-04-23 10:12 AM (#82469 - in reply to #82447)

Expert

I hate it when people drag their dogs to a show. Dogs are dogs- they like to bark, run around and poop. While most people will say- my dogs never do that ( run around, bark and poop all over the place) THEY DO. I was at a show where the dog in front of my stalls barked and the dogs behind my stalls barked. Then there are the dogs on a long leashed tied to a stall that you have to navigate over and around while trying to get by with your horse. Or the kids that are assigned dog duty, they travel all over the place with fido,being dragged about,getting in the way..please leave the dogs at home.

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-04-23 10:20 AM (#82470 - in reply to #82447)

Expert

I have hauled a 130 lb GSD with me to shows and trail rides.  There were no problems. For his sake this was my handling method.

He was a qualified obedience dog, first.

If he was outside of the horse trailer, he was with me on a leash.

If I had to be elsewhere, he was in the horse trailer, wearing a no-bark collar for insurance.  They have em at Wal-mart. (How would I know if he was yapping his head off if I was not there, some people are too polite to tell you) His bathroom was the rear of the horse trailer, bedded in shavings, for his and my convenience for clean-up. 

At no time ever was he off-lead, or left to potentially get loose, or yap.  He had his own fan, water, etc for when I was not there, with his bed,  a couple of toys.  He was a dignified and patient dog who traveled well.

I was at a ride where, a horse was tied at the hitching rail, and some folks pulled up and let their dog out.  For reasons unknown to this day, the dog immediately attacked a mare tied there, she required 1000+ stitches after he was finally beaten off by a passerby.  The dog owner was in tears, the dog had never done anything like that before, (I believed her) AND she offered and did pay for all the vet care for that mare. The owner was very traumatized, had the dog euthanized the next day.

I have been at many rides where dogs were let run loose.  This is bad management.  The trail ride management needs to make it clear that is a zero tolerance mistake, and the owners need to take responsibility and care of their animals by keeping them leashed.  I have cautioned owners about their big doberman pup, friendly enough, that he really was in danger running around loose, running up at the heels of the mule tied at the trailer.  Their response was, he's ok, he is just learning.  He learned alright.  No, the mule did not kick him in the head, I scared him away to save his life.

So, some ideas for polite dog stewardship are:

Never turned loose, only out on a leash with people.

Do bathroom breaks outside of campground, pick up after the dog, or use the trailer for same.

Invest in a no-bark collar, it can save you from the resentment of a lot of people.

Leave the dog at the trailer when you ride.  In the trailer is best, but if not feasible, a crate in the shade is the next best thing.  I have seen dogs careen through camp dragging their chain and tie out stake, causing horses to booger and at least one child get dumped and med-flighted out.  The owners of the dog received multiple lawsuits.

I have dogs, like dogs, enjoy them.  But real management is the key, and people have a hard time believing their dog could upset anyone.  Take the time to be a good dog owner for the dogs' safety and every one's sanity, including your own. 

Roaming children should be sent home after receiving a double espresso and a free cat.

Restaurants should have now, instead of smoking or non-smoking, adults solo, or adults with children!

No kiddin, love your dog enough to be a very good safe owner, most people are.  It is the few that are ignorant or non-caring that give dogs and their owners a horrible reputation in general.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-04-23 10:39 AM (#82474 - in reply to #82447)

Expert

I'm an animal lover,and I love dogs,cats,horses,ect.We don't have any dogs currently,we have not had good luck with dogs where we live.But I love a good dog!

Most people that bring their dogs to shows and on camp/trail rides have pretty good obedient dogs.My only issue is those that DON'T.The campground that we go to twice a year has the rule that if the dog isn't on a leash,it will be caught and then the owner asked to leave with their dog.They announce this at a meeting the night before the ride begins,and everyone that I've seen complies with it.

I don't trail ride with folks that bring a dog along on the trail anymore.We were riding with some people that brought along their dog,and hey,a dog's a dog,so,it was running around in/out of the woods doing a dog thing,hunting.Some horses don't tolerate this very well,and when the dog ran out suddenly chasing something a lady was nearly thrown when her horse bolted,and then,the rest of us almost had a rodeo because of it.

I was at the above mentioned camp last year,and our friends were camped next to some people that had a large aggressive dog tied on our friends' side of the trailer.This was where they had to tie their horses to saddle them.Every time they were there,this dog would growl,bark,and run to the end of his leash at the horses.My friends' husband finally made the remark (apparently within earshot of dog's owner) that he was going to adjust the dog's attitude.They moved the dog to the other side of the trailer (on their camper door side where he should have been in the first place.) For the duration of the ride,the dog ran to the end of the leash on THAT side at horses that came by.

That dog had NO business being on the ride with the owners. That all being said,most of the time I've been around people camped with good dogs that don't bother anyone,but it is because their owners don't allow them to bother anyone.

I see people carrying their dogs into Lowe's,Tractor Supply on a leash (NOT a service dog,either) and that's where I start to think they need their head examined,however.

RoperChick
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-04-23 11:08 AM (#82481 - in reply to #82447)

Veteran

Our two dogs, (a cattle dog/aussie and a border collie/kelpie) go everywhere with us, and always make our trips more enjoyable.  They usually go to ropings with us, but we have camped with them too.  We don't let them go into other people's campsites, they stay with us in our campsite.  We don't take them with us on trail rides, so we leave them in the back of the trailer when we are out riding.  We put the drop down doors down and open all the windows so it stays cool.   I also lock the back doors of the trailer, so that someone couldn't let them out or take them.   I had someone see me let me dogs out of the back of the trailer one time, at a roping, who told me he really liked my cattle dog and if he had known he was back there he said would have taken him.   

Edited to add:  In our travels, I find there are more unrully children, who's parents let them run wild than people who have unrully dogs.  

Edited by RoperChick 2008-04-23 11:14 AM
Longrider
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-04-23 12:43 PM (#82491 - in reply to #82447)

Extreme Veteran

Cheeeiiitttt! I've never seen anyone come to a ride with their dog on a leash. "that's the reason I bring my dog with me is to let it get exercise" is the refrain that's always given.  Gimme a break! My dog doesn't do his business in anyone else's campsite. What a crock! Someone's sure peeing on the chair legs, cooler, trailer & truck tires/rims and pooping right where I'll be walking or sitting. Fred! Here comes the ranger, get Angel's leash on quick!  Okay, he's gone now, turn him loose again.  This is the way most of the critters on a leash at parks.  Leave'm home.
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-04-23 1:42 PM (#82496 - in reply to #82447)

Elite Veteran

Hot topic as always...  The trail riding/camping club I'm in has grappled with this issue for years.  There are many places that allow dogs and some that don't due to the issues already mentioned above.  Any Fla state park, state forest, WMA area, etc that does allow dogs requires them to be on leashes, but only about 1/2 of the members comply. 

I happen to love dogs (don't own any) but I don't appreciate stepping in their messes and especially hate it when they pees on my stuff!  But when discussions occur, feelings get hurt, people get mad, etc  .  I do enjoy petting my friends dogs to get my "dog fix" in and I do find I miss them at places that don't allow them.

But I've also found it's just not worth it to complain as some of the hardest working members of the club have dogs and no one is going to stop them from bringing them on campouts....    sigh... if all dog owners were responsible, there wouldn't be an issue about bringing them...  utopia is far far away

Edited by Dunoir 2008-04-23 1:44 PM
Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-04-23 3:00 PM (#82502 - in reply to #82481)

Originally written by RoperChick on 2008-04-23 11:08 AM

Edited to add:  In our travels, I find there are more unrully children, who's parents let them run wild than people who have unrully dogs.  

I won't argue that at all, but I have dang sure seen more dogs fighting than kids fighting at show. And while kids will make a mess of a bathroom, they don't poop right by the truck door where I drag it in with me and have to smell it all the way home.

Now that being said, a well trained dog is no different than a well behaved kid. The dog will sit when told, stay when told, and heel when told. Dog owners are no different than parents. There are responsible ones, and not so responsible ones. Just use common sense. If your (dogs or kids) has ever taken off when you called to you, or has no manners (kids or dogs) and just relieves itself anytime (hopefully just dogs on this one, but NOTHING would surprise me), and if you have to keep it in a cage or on a leash to keep it within 10' of you for extended periods of time (dogs or kids once again), then you probably should figure out other arrangements while you are camping or at a show.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-04-23 3:39 PM (#82506 - in reply to #82464)

Expert

Originally written by HaulinHorses on 2008-04-23 11:00 AM

My little Jack Russell has me well trained.  She can sit wherever she wants in the truck, and she can sleep wherever she wants in the trailer.  I feel priviledged that she allows me to drive her around and share the truck and trailer with her.

As the servant of two Jacks, I was amused at a bumper sticker that read "Jack Russels are shaped like a football for a reason...."

At a restaurant I frequented was a sign, "unattended children will be rounded up and sold for slaves."

As I was walking through the airport after my shift, several children were seen running about screaming, and behaving badly with their parents oblivious to it all. One of my fellow co-workers observed the melee and made the comment, "Now I know why some wild animals eat their children"

Gard

Edited by gard 2008-04-23 4:24 PM
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-04-23 4:17 PM (#82508 - in reply to #82491)

Expert

Originally written by Longrider on 2008-04-23 12:43 PM

Cheeeiiitttt! I've never seen anyone come to a ride with their dog on a leash. , .

If you visit Big Creek Trail Ride in MO,you'll see them on a leash,or you won't see them at all.Brent will make sure of that.

kershawsowner
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2008-04-23 5:55 PM (#82510 - in reply to #82447)

Veteran

i think if you want to bring you dog/dogs that is your option...i take my two small dogs with us.. we leave them in the back of the trailer.. we clean it out when we get there and put a little hay back there a fan for them water and their food.. once it gets hot they stay up front in living quarters during hot part of the day...i take them for walks on their leashes we camp at lbl and you are suppose to keep them leashed which i totally agree with..if they did not have that rule there would be 100 dogs running around fighting,barking,etc,etc... some people take them on trails and only a few occassions has it been a problem my horse does not really like a big dog coming near him...if its a problem i tell the people please get your dog...it is for the dogs sake not my horse  he has kicked a blue heeler about 75 feet before and i hated it but i told the people twice to get their dog and sure enough bamm through the air it went.. thought he killed it for sure put it didint.. pets are a real important part of our lives today..as long as you are responsible take your dog...
okeydar
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2008-04-23 5:58 PM (#82511 - in reply to #82447)

I have one of the most well behaved, gentle labs you could ever be around. The dog is walked on a leash and we try to be responsible dog owners. A few months ago we went on a "work the trails" weekend. Hubby, who is always in camp as he doesn't ride, got to go out on a truck and do some trail work. For the first time, Dusty got put in the rear of the horse trailer with food and water. It was Feb and a nice day. When we got back about four hours later, we were horrified to find out our perfect dog had turned into a monster. He tore the rubber off the wall of the trailer and the handles off of two hay bags. And he barked all the time we were gone. Needless to say, we felt bad.  Now, he is not allowed to go unless Hubby is going to be in camp.

wendmil
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-04-23 7:13 PM (#82515 - in reply to #82511)

Veteran

Originally written by okeydar on 2008-04-23 5:58 PM  When we got back about four hours later, we were horrified to find out our perfect dog had turned into a monster. He tore the rubber off the wall of the trailer and the handles off of two hay bags. And he barked all the time we were gone. 

This reminds me of a friend who used to tell me that her dog "knows to stay home and never leaves the place and doesn't get into trouble" even though he was never kept in a yard or on a line.  Came home one day to find him shot after he was getting into a neighbors yard doing mischief.  She was surprised to think that he was bad when she wasn't watching.  You never really know what they're up or what they are capable of when you aren't supervising.

Sadly it's the "bad parenting" of a few that allow pets (and children) to become nuisances for others.  Then they wonder why others harbor such resentment.  It's like the neighbor that has the dog that barks all night long (or the screaming kid in a public place).  The "owners" become immune to the bad behavior and it's the rest of us being driven crazy. 

walkersandweims
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-04-23 7:19 PM (#82516 - in reply to #82511)

I have 4 weimaraner,s and only One seems to take to being a good Trail dog , she is the only one who listens and stay,s right with me and my horse, thats why she gets to go and the other DO NOT. I have always taken her when I am breaking a New, Young Horse to the Trail as I think the Horse like the Company of a dog and it makes them feel alot less alone . I only take Her tho during the week as there are alot less riders out during that time, I know some riders/horses don,t handle dogs well and i LOVE My little Girl and would hate for her to get hurt by a Horse /rider that has not been socialized well enough to dogs . She is going on 9 yrs old this year and it will break her heart when the day comes that She can no longer go out with Me .............it,ll break My Heart too .MW
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-04-23 9:39 PM (#82522 - in reply to #82508)

Expert

Originally written by crowleysridgegirl on 2008-04-23 4:17 AM

Originally written by Longrider on 2008-04-23 12:43 PM

Cheeeiiitttt! I've never seen anyone come to a ride with their dog on a leash. , .

If you visit Big Creek Trail Ride in MO,you'll see them on a leash,or you won't see them at all.Brent will make sure of that.

We used to go riding at Bandera State park in south/central Tx and the park rangers would take any dog off leash.  The owners had to pay a fine to get them back.  If the owners wanted to stay at the park a few more days the dog had to remain in the parks kennels and the owners had to pay for that as well.  They watched the trails on dirt bikes with binos and would go get dogs that people let go out on the trail. 

My horses aren't afraid of dogs, we have 2 english mastiffs and had 2 muts who have since been put down due to old age and the horses just don't like them.  My 2yr old was attacked as a week old filly and since then none of my horses want dogs near them.  They will go out of their way to stomp any dog that gets in their pen/field.   If we come across a dog while riding if it gets close they will kick at them.  When ever I see a dog loose we will ride on the opposite side of the road from its home and if it crosses the road I will keep my horse moving forward but will not punish them if they kick the dog.  They are off their property. 

Edited by Terri 2008-04-23 9:41 PM
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-04-23 10:14 PM (#82525 - in reply to #82522)

Expert

It's funny but I only have one horse that will actively try to run at a dog and act aggressive towards it,and it is my "dog" (no pun intended) gentle riding mare.None of the other horses act like dogs bother them.The neighbors' two rat terriers cut across our pasture all the time,and the horses take note of them,but Bonnie (my mare) is the only one that I'd be afraid would try to hurt them.The others are like "ahhh,so what?"
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-04-23 10:52 PM (#82529 - in reply to #82447)

Extreme Veteran

I love animals also dogs included but I won't take them with me. My blue heeler is a pain. She will chase the horses if she thinks they are not doing what they are supposed to.  One of my horses hates her with a passion. This is one habbit she has that is being hard to break. The way I see it is if your dog is acting stupid and gets kicked so be it...... You never know what a dog may or may not do...
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-04-24 9:15 AM (#82550 - in reply to #82529)

Expert

at  the park I ride at people let there dogs off leashes and my horse( a Belgium) will try to kick them if  they run up behind him and  bark at him from behind. I tell the owner that the dog should be on a leash. I love the answer my dog is ok with horses, I tell the owner that my horse will kill your dog and there is a good possibility that he could. I have the same trouble will runners that do not tell me that they are  coming or push pass in a crowed area. good dogs and people are no problem he like people and dog but barking will not work for he
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-04-24 11:08 AM (#82558 - in reply to #82511)

Elite Veteran

When we got back about four hours later, we were horrified to find out our perfect dog had turned into a monster. He tore the rubber off the wall of the trailer and the handles off of two hay bags. And he barked all the time we were gone. Needless to say, we felt bad. Now, he is not allowed to go unless Hubby is going to be in camp.

had you taken the time to allow him to get used to being it the trailer..alone? i'm sure he was very scared. what a mess to find.
okeydar
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2008-04-25 8:31 AM (#82586 - in reply to #82447)

Sadly, we did not. It was totally our fault and luckily he forgave us for our stupidity. 

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-04-25 9:01 AM (#82592 - in reply to #82447)

Expert

Placing a dog inside a kennel, within your trailer, will alleviate some of these problems. If a dog is kennel trained, he will be more secure in an unfamiliar situation and place.

We place our dog's pillow, blanket and toy in the kennel, and he is very content to sleep in there with the kennel door open all night. We often do this in hotel rooms when we travel by car.

Gard

cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-04-25 9:57 AM (#82599 - in reply to #82447)

Extreme Veteran

Got my montly issue of "QHorse", you get it once a month with being a member of AQHA and low and behold there is an article in there on this, very informative.....
always amazed
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-04-26 9:15 AM (#82638 - in reply to #82447)

I am wanting to take my new mini hot dod dog with me this year. Do you all worry about leaving your dog tied tied to the trailer while your competing? I am afraid of someone stealing her???????????
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-04-26 9:28 AM (#82639 - in reply to #82638)

Expert

Originally written by always amazed on 2008-04-26 10:15 AM

I am wanting to take my new mini hot dod dog with me this year. Do you all worry about leaving your dog tied tied to the trailer while your competing? I am afraid of someone stealing her???????????

Not so much the thought of theft, but we worry about the loose dogs that roam about and even other owners walking their dogs on a long leash. We put the dogs in the LQ while we are at the classes. While we are at the trailer, the dogs are either tied outside or inside the LQ.

Gard

memory
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2008-04-26 3:52 PM (#82646 - in reply to #82447)

Veteran

I have had problems at shows where the dogs are tied outside the trailer and will hide under the trailer only to spring out at you or the horse causing an accident. When I leave the trailer the dog goes inside the trailer or with us on his leash. Our NBHA state show does not even allow dogs in the areana building because of past dog incidents.
iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-04-27 1:27 PM (#82673 - in reply to #82646)

Extreme Veteran

I love dogs but I think they should be left at home, not everyone else loves your dog like you do.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-04-27 5:55 PM (#82689 - in reply to #82673)

Expert

Originally written by iCE CRM on 2008-04-27 2:27 PM

not everyone else loves your dog like you do.

And that's why we go through the efforts of bringing them with us when we travel.

Gard

reinergirl
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-04-28 8:52 AM (#82717 - in reply to #82673)

Regular

Originally written by iCE CRM on 2008-04-27 2:27 PM

I love dogs but I think they should be left at home, not everyone else loves your dog like you do.

That's great, but what if you don't have someone at home to watch the dogs or someone where to leave them other than a kennel. My dog travels with me all year long and she is better behaved than most children.

I won't leave my dog tied to the trailer because I'm afraid of her getting tangled up and choking or something, but if I leave (to show or ride) she goes in the trailer or the tack stall.

IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-04-28 10:31 AM (#82727 - in reply to #82586)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by okeydar on 2008-04-25 8:31 AM

Sadly, we did not. It was totally our fault and luckily he forgave us for our stupidity.

dogs are the best....they love us no matter how many dumb things we do. HA!
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-04-28 8:47 PM (#82762 - in reply to #82717)

Expert

We have very large dogs and don't usually take them when we travel.  My dogs are on a self feeder and waterer.  When we go out of town we simply make sure the feeder is full (we have 2 and they hold 50 lbs each and will last two weeks) and that the waterer is in good shape and working properly.  Of course they prefer to drink out of the horse water trough, but they have to watch for the horses.  They don't like sharing it. 

For the horses when we travel we put out a round bale of hay, make sure the float is working in the trough and they are good to go.  We have a neighbour that will look over the wall and check that everyone is up, accounted for and moving right.   

Edited by Terri 2008-04-28 8:50 PM
longearsrule
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2008-04-28 9:30 PM (#82769 - in reply to #82447)

Extreme Veteran

Went on a ride this past weekend and a man had a young pig in a dog harness. He kept it on a leash, in the trailer or on his wagon. He has had pigs in the past also.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-04-28 9:55 PM (#82771 - in reply to #82447)

Expert

I haven't heard of any rules prohibiting pigs from a horse show.

buttercup
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-04-29 9:07 PM (#82817 - in reply to #82447)

Bet there were a few people whose horses were not so impressed with the pigs.  We have pot bellies pigs and the mules and horses get prettty excited when they see the pigs.  Maybe they smell a bit like bears as they are in the same family. 
longearsrule
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2008-04-30 8:48 AM (#82838 - in reply to #82447)

Extreme Veteran

I only saw one mule get a little excited. The man was pretty good about keeping her close to his wagon and in camp kept her right at the trailer. He also drives zedonks and those seem to upset a lot of horses and mules. My big paint mule has fallen in love with them!
dwnsouth
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2008-04-30 10:01 PM (#82872 - in reply to #82447)

Regular

Envision sitting on your horse watching the event waiting your turn. Your friends well mannered lab, that your horse has been around for years walks up behind you on a leash with the owner. Very politely the dog stretches his nose out real quick like and touches your horses hind leg. Maybe horse having a bad day??? Dont know but we do ride unpredictable creatures that can go off in a moments notice. After dog gets kicked, he jumps to bite because the bad horse has hurt him(dogs are unpredictable at times too). Horse attacks back by jumping around/kicking/bucking. 4 jumps/bucks later rider on ground, dog bleeding and horse trembling scared witless. Fast forward 6 months after new titanium elbow, $175,000 medical bill, and 4 months of intense pain in physical therapy. Now your right arm will never fully extend all the way ever again and you are technically considered handicap.

All this due to a well mannered socialized dog that was around numerous times. Dogs can be brought to a horse event but for the safety of EVERYONE...please keep them well well far away out of the reach of any horses. A polite 15 foot distance is well appreciated and unexpected mishaps will not happen. Even the most well mannerd canine can unintentionally cause nervousness and mishaps with horses no matter how careful we all are.
By the way, I dont dislike dogs...I own 2 Great Danes and while one goes to the shows with me, he is always leashed and is never near the horses nor the rails where he might scare them and cause a mishap.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-04-30 10:19 PM (#82874 - in reply to #82447)

Expert

Thanks for your input.... was there help with the medical expenses, or did that have to be borne alone?  Liability issues rear their head....
cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2008-04-30 11:32 PM (#82880 - in reply to #82510)

Extreme Veteran

One of the trainer's at my old barn brought their dog to work every; he was an aussie. That dog would lay in the shadows and wait for you to walk by, then dart out and nip your horse's heels. I told her time and time again that my horse would kick and she laughed and said the dog was too quick - ha. The first and only time that dog went after my horse, I heard a yelp, looked back and saw that dog going horizontal about 40 mph. He hit the wall 20 feet away and ran off on 3 legs. I didn't see him for a month, and heard through other boarder's that he was okay, just a broken leg. That was kind of sad because it was absolutely the owner's fault in my opinion. The dog still did sneak attacks but not as much.
notfromtexas
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-05-01 8:54 AM (#82909 - in reply to #82872)

Veteran

Originally written by dwnsouth on 2008-04-30 10:01 PM

Envision sitting on your horse watching the event waiting your turn. Your friends well mannered lab, that your horse has been around for years walks up behind you on a leash with the owner. Very politely the dog stretches his nose out real quick like and touches your horses hind leg. Maybe horse having a bad day??? Dont know but we do ride unpredictable creatures that can go off in a moments notice. After dog gets kicked, he jumps to bite because the bad horse has hurt him(dogs are unpredictable at times too). Horse attacks back by jumping around/kicking/bucking. 4 jumps/bucks later rider on ground, dog bleeding and horse trembling scared witless. Fast forward 6 months after new titanium elbow, $175,000 medical bill, and 4 months of intense pain in physical therapy. Now your right arm will never fully extend all the way ever again and you are technically considered handicap. All this due to a well mannered socialized dog that was around numerous times. Dogs can be brought to a horse event but for the safety of EVERYONE...please keep them well well far away out of the reach of any horses. A polite 15 foot distance is well appreciated and unexpected mishaps will not happen. Even the most well mannerd canine can unintentionally cause nervousness and mishaps with horses no matter how careful we all are. By the way, I dont dislike dogs...I own 2 Great Danes and while one goes to the shows with me, he is always leashed and is never near the horses nor the rails where he might scare them and cause a mishap.

While I sympathize with you, you could easily substitute "friend's well mannered child" or "friend's well mannered gelding".  If a horse is startled by anything an accident can happen.  It is a good point that dogs, pigs, people or other horses should ALWAYS remain a horse's length distance away from a horse-I've been preaching THAT for as long as I've been teaching and riding.