Tile Countertops
Mandi/Abby
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-04-09 2:26 PM (#81536)
Subject: Tile Countertops

Charter Member

Is there anything wrong with tiling a countertop in an LQ. Some people have mentioned possible problems with cracking and stuff due to the shifting/movement of the trailer.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
reddun25
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-04-09 3:23 PM (#81537 - in reply to #81536)
Subject: RE: Tile Countertops

Regular

We thought about putting tile on the floor of our LQ and granite on the counter tops. Hubby said something about a special kind of tile and as little grout as possible because of the shifting and moving. I can't remember what material he said we would need. The granite would be a very thinned down version because it is heavy! He has a tile/granite show room and fabrication shop and i can find out what type of tile he was talking about if you want. I am not sure if it is a material different from porcelin or ceramic.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-04-09 4:37 PM (#81541 - in reply to #81536)

Expert

There was a gal on here named "Dawyna" who posted several pictures of her rig that she and her dad had put in a small LQ.One of the things    she did was a tiled countertop,really cute,with the small mosiac type tiles and she made a mural of a "spur" with them.You might look on the albums under Dawyna's Rig and take a look,and maybe get in touch with her to ask how she did hers.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-04-09 6:17 PM (#81555 - in reply to #81536)

Expert

Actually, tiling a counter top with individual tiles, lessens the chances of cracking, when compared to larger singular pieces. Using wall adhesive instead of the quick set, will insure proper adhesion against the vibration. It's a relatively easy job, doesn't take long because of its construction size, and can be quickly changed if you don't like the way it turned out

Gard

Linda Y
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-04-09 6:46 PM (#81559 - in reply to #81536)

Extreme Veteran

I just finished a tabletop using 4 x 4 tiles and small accent tiles. Because the area was so small, I didn't want to have to buy a whole bag of grout, so I got a latex base sealer made specifically for countertops. It is even sanded and in colors. It comes in a tube like silicone sealer that you use the gun on. Was easy to apply and clean up. Figure that may work well in a horse trailer because it would have give. I like this tile table so much, I may do my counter in the LQ in it. Now, if I could just find that cheap copper sink...
Mandi/Abby
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-04-10 9:36 AM (#81634 - in reply to #81536)

Charter Member

Someone posted an ebay link awhile back for the cheaper priced copper sinks. I am not sure where it went though.

I am wanting to use the small tiles. If someone could PM me the name of the stuff I would use to set them, that would be great. The setting process is what was scaring me away.

Dawnya's trailer is where I got the idea. Hubby wanted me to go with laminate. It would be easy to get since he works for Wilsonart, but its just too plain for my taste (right now at least).

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-04-10 10:04 AM (#81638 - in reply to #81536)

Expert

I use a product called "AcrylPro" that I purchased from Lowes. It is for wall and floor tile installation. It is premixed and ready to apply. It has a higher initial tack than thin set, and has been very durable.

Setting the tiles is easy. Goop up the back of the tile and press it into place. It will take some practice to gauge the amount of glue that is necessary for each tile. On larger jobs a notched trowel is commonly used to cover the space's surface, but on the smaller tiles and jobs, it's impractical to use the trowel. I butter each tile individually, using a small putty knife. I like the metal knives  better than the plastic ones.

You can measure your grout lines by eye or buy the spacers. If you use narrow grout lines, try a sandless grout. The fine spaces will fill easier and leave smooth strong grout lines.

Gard