I can't drive . . . 55 !!
N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-04-07 9:48 PM (#81423)
Subject: I can't drive . . . 55 !!

Elite Veteran

To coin the famous line by Sammy Hagar

I can't drive 55 !

After reading the thread about increasing mpg, by dropping your speed to 55mph, I thought I'd give it a try yesterday morning going to work.  It ain't happening people ! I might as well have pulled off the side of the road and sat there.  Oh My Gosh . . .  I thought I'd NEVER get to work, and the people who were passing me, I'm quite sure were cussing up a blue streak.  So, as not to be intimidated by the "lets get to work before lunch" crowd, I refused to look at anyone as they passed me with what looked like the peace sign only missing one finger.  Quite honestly, I am one of those people who don't like to get behind some "old fart" creeping along the interstate, and I DO get quite annoyed with "slow pokes" !  I tried it again today.  Same response.  My anxiety increased as I'd look in my rear view mirror to see an 18 wheeler climbing into the bed of my truck.  Now I have experienced that same anxiety while driving 80 mph and having an 18 wheeler climbing into my truck bed, but at 80 I'm thinking "screw you", you can just pass me if you really want to run 90 !  But at 55, I thought "Shit !  I'm about to get squished ! " So it's back to 75mph for me.  JMO

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-04-07 10:35 PM (#81427 - in reply to #81423)
Subject: RE: I can't drive . . . 55 !!

Expert

HA HA girl,I would have never figured YOU to be one to drive 55,myself!

I have spent years on the road as a home health nurse.Hurrying and rushing to see 6 patients,drive round trip 60 miles or more in substandard weather,and have the paperwork (and it was a S** load of paperwork,too) turned in that day.Then get up and do it again the next day.I learned to take my time and enjoy smelling the roses,else,if I got back in early enough,they'd send me out again to see somebody that had an unexpected problem come up for an extra visit because I was the only nurse back in.

So I drive 55,and if I'm going 60 I feel like I'm really doing something.There are always going to be those who will go around you if you are driving 80,such as in Memphis on the 2 interstates that go around it.I'll be watching out for you in the mirror,just don't give me the "peace" sign,or I might give you the Arkansas howdy! ( Just messen witch ya)

Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2008-04-08 5:17 AM (#81435 - in reply to #81423)

Extreme Veteran

The speed limit on the Western Ky Pkwy is 70 mph.  Yesterday, while traveling to the next little town to do some shopping, I set the Cruise on 60, turned the radio up and ignored all the speedsters who would undoubtedly be fueling up much sooner than I.  Then, I got a real good chuckle when I saw one of them pulled over by the DOT

RIDE ON!

Frankie001%
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2008-04-08 6:20 AM (#81436 - in reply to #81423)

Veteran

I can't drive on the interstate 55 but I do go 60.  On the other roads 55 is the fastest.  Trucks - they can only go so fast and the pedal pushers - that is what the state police are for.  Dwight and Crowleysridgegirl have the right idea.  Many times I have driven and found good deals by the roadside.  Would have missed them if I went faster.  Made some friends that way too.  Use to clean houses and in the summer I would come home with flowers, fresh fruit and vegetables.  It is also nice to have some gas in the tank after a long drive.  As you slow down do not forget to take your camera some pictures are breath taking and you can never get them back.  Enjoy your drive, since you have to be there anywhere but most of all, get there safe.                 
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-04-08 6:28 AM (#81437 - in reply to #81423)

Expert

We live in a suburban area, about six miles from the interstate road system. Our normal driving is about evenly split between secondary two lane roads and four or multiple lane, limited access roads. The speed limits vary from an average of 35 mph on the local roads to 65 mph on the intersates in our area of western PA and eastern OH.

By observing these limits and using the cruise on the open roads, our v-6 minivan and car typically equal or exceed the mileage of many of the foreign econo boxes. Exceeding the limit to 75 mph, drops the mileage of each one about 3 mpg.

When pulling, our truck is very similar. At 65 mph, with either trailer, I get a little over 14 mpg. At 75 mph, it drops to about 11 mpg.

With the cost of speeding tickets and the newer surcharges, and any anticipated insurance premiums as a result, combined with the fuel increase, I find it beneficial to observe the posted limits. For me, it seems to be the best compromise of time, distance and mileage.

Gard

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-04-08 9:43 AM (#81445 - in reply to #81437)

Expert

Not to mention: the risk of losing control,somebody pulling out in front of you when you are cruising along running about 70 (AND THEY WILL DO IT) ect and wiping totally out as they drive on,oblivious to what they caused.

No,I do it mainly for safety's sake.I'm not comfortable running 70 in my Honda CR-V however,in a caddy Escalade,it would be hard to notice !

perfect11s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-04-08 3:26 PM (#81461 - in reply to #81423)

Regular

Hey over here all the big rigs have limiters set at 56 mph or less and all smaller trucks more than 3500 kg made after 2001 also have to have limiters... you guessed it 56 mph  so you can do a sedate speed   if you wish without being squished

Oh and all commercial trucks have to have a tacograph which recordes speed and driving time on a paper chart or electronic chip so the Law can check what Mr or Mrs trucker have been up to 

Longrider
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-04-08 5:21 PM (#81468 - in reply to #81461)

Extreme Veteran

I once worked for a company that was bought by an English company. The owner couldn't imagine how we salesmen were putting 50,000 miles on a company vehicle in a year. He suggested that we use the trolley. Hell, in Texas it's 600 miles from Dallas to El Paso, 800 miles from Dalhart to Brownsville, 200 miles from Dallas to Texarkana. And the only trolley in Dallas was the "tourist trolley" that he had seen and mistakenly assumed that it went everywhere in Texas. What a deadhead he was! Best thing that ever happened was that he let a bunch of us go. Now out in far West Texas, the legal speed limit is 80 mph and you still get passed. Thank God for George Washington and all the other patriots who fought the American Revolution!!!!!!!
luvmywalkers
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2008-04-08 9:48 PM (#81481 - in reply to #81423)

Regular

I understand why I should do the speed limit, but I must admit I find myself doing well over 60 on the interstate. My problem isn't with the people flying by, it's with the people that get in the fast lane doing 50 in a 65 mph limit. If I don't feel like flying down the road, then I get in the middle or slow lane. What is so difficult about that. I think it's just as dangerous for these people to be in the fast lane, going slow holding the traffic up, because then everyone is trying to get over in the middle lane to go around them.

Just my opinion

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-04-08 10:11 PM (#81483 - in reply to #81423)

Expert

in my area at 60mph they still pass me, I love them to pass me that way they clear the way so the state troopers get them at 60+  not me