LQ sub floor and many other ?'s
jetgetset
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2008-04-05 5:55 PM (#81282)
Subject: LQ sub floor and many other ?'s

This is why you don't buy a used trailer! LOLPulled up the floor in my LQ yesterday and what do you know but it was soaked under the vinyl.. Pull that up and YOU GUESSED IT they had just layed one floor down ontop of an already water damaged floor.. Now I have to SOAKED sub floors that are in various stages of rot.. Pulled it all up and needless to say now have to figure out where it is coming from.. But I was wondering when I go to lay the floor back down (after finding the leak, bleaching the floor and airing it out) it's an aluminum floor what should I use as insulation under the plywood? I am thinking I need to use something that can breath a little bit.. Also this has a tank above the first stall in the horse area for water storage.. I hate this set up, was thinking I would like to take the tank out and just have a hose adapter to the outside of the trailer installed.. Then if I have to I can just take the tank along if I will be somewhere that does not have water but won't use the loss of that stall (don't think it's to safe like it is).. Any suggestions??
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-04-06 1:12 PM (#81319 - in reply to #81282)
Subject: RE: LQ sub floor and many other ?'s

Expert

You will have to first determine the source of the water leak, whether it is a result of the tank, associated plumbing, or an outside access. To have the saturation you've described, would probably involve a chronic problem that has not been previously addressed. If you have a full LQ, the lower cabinets will most likely will have to be removed to access the flooring.

Generally speaking, any heated interior surface should be separated from the exterior trailer skin by a vapor barrier. The condensation developed by the cooling of the warmed air, will create moisture and will soak whatever material is directly adjacent to it. A piece of plastic would suffice.

The best way to insulate is to install sleepers underneath the flooring. They  become floor joists and allow a space under which to insulate and run your electrical and plumbing mechanicals. However, with preinstalled cabinetry, you most generally will be limited to an original flooring height. Installing plywood over rigid foam insulation only, will eventually result in the foam being crushed in the high traffic areas.

There are many sources of water tanks, that vary in shape for installations in different areas of your trailer. They can be plumbed in any way your imagination dictates.

Gard

share Top of the page Bottom of the page