Wanted honest opinion!!
queenbemrsd
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-03-06 9:29 PM (#78851)
Subject: Wanted honest opinion!!

New User

I am inquiring to you honest horse people out there.  I am going to get a "new" 3-horse  gooseneck.  problem is, I am not really familiar with some the different brands.  I know I want to go aluminum..but can somebody help me decifer the following and rate them good-bad. Thanks alot

some friends of mine used to work for Exiss and Featherlite in Okla, they said those trailers were crap??  I am looking at the following, or are there any other brands I should look at, I am looking for a good, easy towing, as my 11 year old daughter and I are usually alone...when we travel.

Elite, platinum, 4-star, blue ribbon, sundowner, c&C any other suggestions???

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-03-06 9:48 PM (#78861 - in reply to #78851)
Subject: RE: Wanted honest opinion!!

Expert

My honest opinion is that you should go look at the trailers yourself, and educate yourself about the features that matter most to you.  That way you will feel the best about your decision.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-03-06 9:55 PM (#78862 - in reply to #78851)

flyinghfarm: very good answer....also I have a 3 horse advertised on this site.  It is a Merhow trailer.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-03-06 9:56 PM (#78863 - in reply to #78851)

Expert

Unless you are 100% sold on an aluminum trailer I'd advise you to look into a Hawk or Equispirit 3 horse straight/slant load.  If you and your daughter plan on using the trailer I'd hope safety is your top priority if so I believe you'll find this design to have the most escape routes and ease of use for youth of all ages.

If you really must have an aluminum trailer I'd look around for a Turnbow made in Miami (said Miama), OK

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-03-06 10:09 PM (#78865 - in reply to #78851)

Expert

"some friends of mine used to work for Exiss and Featherlite in Okla, they said those trailers were crap??  Elite, platinum, 4-star, blue ribbon, sundowner, c&C any other suggestions???"

Your point about Exiss and Featherlight being---????

Edited by crowleysridgegirl 2008-03-07 10:14 AM
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-03-06 10:45 PM (#78868 - in reply to #78851)

Expert

first how much money do you wont to spend? the see which trailer fits your budget. I own a eby all aluminum stock trailer, I own a draft horse wight was my factor and money  
rockyrider
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2008-03-07 6:09 AM (#78874 - in reply to #78851)

Extreme Veteran

Your profile does not indicate where you live, but if you are anywhere near Columbus, Ohio I would suggest you go to The Equine Affair in April. They will have tons of trailers on display, that you can go through and see for yourself. You will also get to listen to the sales pitchs from the different companies as well, which is not all bad. After a day or so you start to sort out the fantasy from fact and when you come home you be a more educated consumer, which is what you really need to be when making an important and expesive a purchase.
Paints
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2008-03-07 6:55 AM (#78877 - in reply to #78851)

Veteran

Yes great idea check out ALOT different trailers and speak to few people who OWN and use trailers.When at trailers open and look at workmanship,windows and every part trailers.If Horse/Equine Fair/Expo is excellent place to see and compare many different brands.As quality does very and cheap made lower quality is fine if really haul or don't want spend money.Than again we bought used lqs and save thousands but we had trailers before and know what to watch out for.Take time and enjoy as trailers do cost and shouldnt jump/buy too fast than be stuck with trailer that is one problem after another.Fiends of ours like their Elite and 4 Star- problem free etc JMHO

We own 2 Sundowners and if some reason needed to buy again would buy Sundowner.

queenbemrsd
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-03-07 8:25 AM (#78889 - in reply to #78877)

New User

Thank you, I found your response quite helpful.  We live in Oklahoma so, the Equifair in Ohio is not a factor.  We were looking in the $20000. range, and safety and workmanship are top priorities. of course, Okla. is home of Lots of trailer companies. Thanks
barntoys4mom
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-03-07 8:45 AM (#78891 - in reply to #78851)

Veteran

I too am an all aluminum fan and have two all aluminum Sundowners. Both of these trailers were purchased for safety reasons, amount of escape doors, and easy of pulling, hooking up etc. It is usually only myself and my 10 year old going to shows, as hubby says “somebody’s got to work” ~ anyway, we have always felt very safe and confident in any of our travels. Start with your budget and “wish list”, then your “must have list” and then look. I will tell you from my personal experience and research, that Sundowners of this model have more 4 sided studs and are placed closer together. I looked at several brands that had more of a U shape stud. Also be sure to do your research on your flooring options. I was advised be a very close friend who reps several different trailers not to buy a trailer with a solid sheet aluminum floor, but rather an aluminum plank style (for lack of a better description). Apparently there is a bigger problem with “pitting” in the single sold sheet. Anyway, my dressing room windows are oversized (standard in a 720 Sunlite) and pop out in an emergency, the roof vent also is an additional emergency exit as well as the actual door. Then my horse compartment has an additional full size escape door.

Although I am bias, there are many different great brands. Our son was an important part in our selection process since his is my “helping hand” at shows.

Good luck in your search!

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-03-07 9:38 AM (#78902 - in reply to #78851)

Expert

If you are a member of a horse club go to different events and see the trailers there. ( show ,trail ride,) ask the people how they like there trailer. this is how I narrowed the field down  to three trailer company's (,feather lite, eby, jamco) them I look at price 
dixie
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2008-03-07 9:47 AM (#78903 - in reply to #78851)

Veteran

If you  live in OK check out Cherokee they are in Oklahoma City. I think you'll be very pleased with the quality and the price.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-03-07 10:23 AM (#78910 - in reply to #78851)

Expert

Whenever I shop for a trailer, I first look at the construction of the frame and the weight bearing capabilities of the axles, wheels and tires. Just like a house, without an adequate foundation, if will soon be a pile of expensive parts.

Here in the North East an all aluminum trailer is preferred. In other parts of the country, steel and steel/aluminum are successfully owned.

Once I'm satisfied with the frame, then I look at the available features. Can it be built with, or does it have what I most need? You should have a wish list completed before you start your shopping, that includes the type of usage, number of horses etc.

Once I'm satisfied with the suitability of the trailer, then I look at specifics concerning the type of hardware, build quality, operation, convenience etc.

The last thing I consider is the interior LQ. Most are very attractive and if done by a well known conversion company, will satisfy your needs. Many people buy the "sizzle and not the steak." That means they are more concerned about the colour of the curtains than they are about the light weight axles that are barely adequate.

One thing to consider is the "Lite" trailers of various brands. If two trailers are the same size and are built of the same materials, and there is a significant difference in weight, this can only be accomplished by using less materials.

For occasional usage the lesser weight trailers may be sufficient. Over the long haul, with long term ownership and durability being the prerequisites, they will not suffice. Their cheap hardware, lighter frame materials and skins, weaker axles, wheels and tires will become a liability to those wanting reliability and long term value.

You can't be told which trailer is the best for you. Nobody but you has your circumstances. You have to educate yourself and make an informed decision. "Don't buy pretty, buy good."

BOL  Gard

heritagelanefarm
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2008-03-07 10:33 AM (#78912 - in reply to #78851)

Veteran

I have owned Stidhams since 1970......38 years with zero complaints sayes it all! Give Robbie Stidham a call in Chickasha, OK.

Brenda

amysbean
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-03-07 12:14 PM (#78924 - in reply to #78851)

Regular

another factor to consider: how often will you be using your trailer and for what purpose?  my daughters and i only use our trailer for going to horse shows (and vet visits), so we don't usually encounter much in the way of rough roads, etc.  for people who camp, i would imagine a really solid trailer is necessary.  i have been using a merhow for our last few shows; it has a lot of features that are horse friendly but i am not sure how it would stand up to rough, country roads.  still have my old BP sooner trailer from the early 90's, and that thing is still going strong.

i am currently in the market for a larger LQ trailer and have decided on a platinum because i think it will last a long time with few upkeep problems. and, like you, it is just my daughters and i on the road.  good luck!

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-03-08 10:47 AM (#79000 - in reply to #78851)

Expert

Originally written by queenbemrsd on 2008-03-06 9:29 PM

some friends of mine used to work for Exiss and Featherlite in Okla, they said those trailers were crap??  I am looking at the following, or are there any other brands I should look at, I am looking for a good, easy towing, as my 11 year old daughter and I are usually alone...when we travel.

Elite, platinum, 4-star, blue ribbon, sundowner, c&C any other suggestions???

SInce you think Exiss/Featherlite are "crap" as you say your friends' opinions are,and you've mentioned what you are considering to buy,why even bring up Exiss/Featherlite in the first place???

Another negative Exiss/Featherlite thread in the making,and enough's enough.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-03-08 12:14 PM (#79011 - in reply to #78851)

Expert

Originally written by queenbemrsd on 2008-03-06 9:29 P

some friends of mine used to work for Exiss and Featherlite in Okla, they said those trailers were crap?? 

You ended your sentence in a question, so I would assume that you are asking if the trailers are crap. NO THEY ARE NOT.

It's too bad that these pervasive statements will still be the bane of this forum. It's obvious that the newer posters haven't bothered to research past threads of their interests, and instead try to discredit brands of which they have no first hand knowledge.

Gard

Edited by gard 2008-03-08 12:22 PM
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-03-08 12:23 PM (#79012 - in reply to #79011)

Expert

It's too bad that these pervasive statements will still be the bane of this forum. It's obvious that the newer posters haven't bothered to research past threads of their interests, and instead try to discredit brands of which they have no first hand knowledge.

Gard

Yes,apparently,she didn't see the big Sundowner thread that we are all too familiar with because that is one she is considering.

Also Platinum had a recent thread,also.Do your research .There are plenty of previous threads on all of the trailers that you DO  think you like.

kathysrogers
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2008-03-08 4:27 PM (#79023 - in reply to #78851)

CWG,  since you were criticizing her for bringing up Exiss/Featherlight, just thought I'd point out that you just did the same thing by throwing Sundowner/Platinum in there with your response.  I guess it's just human nature to want to draw our bad experiences to the attention of others!  I didn't read her comment as crticism, I felt she posted that info to see what other people had to say about those brands.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-03-08 5:00 PM (#79025 - in reply to #79023)

Expert

That's because she and I exchanged a couple of PM's that you didn't read.

And,my mentioning SUndowner and Platinum to her and referring to threads on those trailers weren't criticisms of the trailers themselves.She said she was considering those trailers,so,there are the threads that are available to read.

Criticizing them would have been calling them "a piece of crap,according to what I've heard."

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-03-08 5:03 PM (#79026 - in reply to #79023)

Expert

Originally written by kathysrogers on 2008-03-08 4:27 PM

I didn't read her comment as crticism, I felt she posted that info to see what other people had to say about those brands.

That isn't how a couple of us that are Exiss owners took it.Because they weren't even among trailers she was considering,because,she'd heard they were "crap."That's not the same as asking,"What do you think about Exiss,or Featherlite."I don't get the feeling that you yourself own a Featherlite,or an Exiss.

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-03-08 5:23 PM (#79027 - in reply to #78851)

Expert

Honestly, there is no best brand at all. My guess is, they all are good, some just have the features we want more than others. I own a Exiss because it had all the goodies I wanted at a price I could afford. It had nothing to do with the name but I was familiar with it as I do have friends that own them. they are not crap in any sense. However, had there been a better deal at the time, no mater what the name plate, I would have considered that too.

Ask your friends for a opinion about their rig. Most people will be very honest with their experiences. Your own personal needs and the use of the trailer will make a difference too-camping and long hauls are very different than the occasional venture out.

I am not a enginner,mechanic or welder so asking me to evaluate that kind of stuff isn't helpful. A salesman can tell me anything and yet I have to take their word ( we use the best aluminum/welding/structure of any make out there!) Go ahead and ask question, go with what makes sense. INO- you're best bet is to look at trailers, ask your friends and figure out what you will need in a unit and then what you want and how much you can pay for it...

N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-03-08 7:57 PM (#79038 - in reply to #78851)

Elite Veteran

Exiss and Featherlite trailers are not crap, regardless of what your friends seem to think.  I can remember years ago, when Featherlite was THE trailer to buy.  Sort of a "fashion" statement.  Are there crappy Exiss and Featherlites out there?  Oh I'm sure of it !  But as a whole, those are damn good trailers and BOTH are worth consideration. Heres a news flash, there are crappy Sundowners, Bison, Merhow, Platinum, etc., etc.  out there too!  But I'll bet, that there are more "good" trailers of ALL brands then there are bad ones.  Now, if you want to buy a "new" trailer for $20K . . .  good luck ! 

I had a "bad" trailer once, and guess what /????  I bought another one of the same kind!  Same manufacturer.  Why?  Because I like the trailer and all the things it has to offer.  Shit happens, some things are just not built right sometimes.  I couldn't be happier with this new trailer.

Go to LOTS of dealers and look at ALL sorts of trailers !  In the overall scheme of things, if it has all the things you want, I'm sure it will last your lifetime, unless you live to be 200. 

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-03-08 8:33 PM (#79040 - in reply to #79038)

Expert

And for the record,we owned a nice Platinum at one time,too.There were things about it I didn't like,and things about my Exiss I don't like.But overall,hey,it's a trailer,and it's life,and,this always seems to come down to this sort of "na na,my trailer's better than your trailer."

Ridiculous.When you are asking about that many variables about that many brands,you will get good/bad about them all.Everyone's got to chose what is best for them.

Yes,I say the same as N2Ridin.Good luck on getting a new 20K Platinum,Sundowner,especially a 4 Star!

classygirl98
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-03-08 9:28 PM (#79044 - in reply to #78851)

Veteran

Honest opinion? Featherlite trailers are not crap. We are on our second lq featherlite. When we were trailer shopping last fall for a bigger lq we looked at all kinds. We decided we would stay with a featherlite and waited until we found one with the features we were looking for and in our price range. It took us a while, but due to this wonderful internet, we located one in Texas, wheeled and dealed and went to pick it up. I know we would have paid a lot more money for all the features we got in some of the other brands. Sometimes, I think you are just paying for the name. JMO
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-03-08 10:03 PM (#79048 - in reply to #79027)

Expert

Originally written by farmbabe on 2008-03-08 6:23 PM

Honestly, there is no best brand at all. My guess is, they all are good, some just have the features we want more than others. I own a Exiss because it had all the goodies I wanted at a price I could afford. It had nothing to do with the name but I was familiar with it as I do have friends that own them. they are not crap in any sense. However, had there been a better deal at the time, no mater what the name plate, I would have considered that too.

Ask your friends for a opinion about their rig. Most people will be very honest with their experiences. Your own personal needs and the use of the trailer will make a difference too-camping and long hauls are very different than the occasional venture out.

I am not a enginner,mechanic or welder so asking me to evaluate that kind of stuff isn't helpful. A salesman can tell me anything and yet I have to take their word ( we use the best aluminum/welding/structure of any make out there!) Go ahead and ask question, go with what makes sense. INO- you're best bet is to look at trailers, ask your friends and figure out what you will need in a unit and then what you want and how much you can pay for it...

Farmbabe hit it on the head...YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR...

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-03-09 5:46 PM (#79117 - in reply to #78851)

Expert

Listing # 140875 on this site.