Winterizing Question
Mandi/Abby
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-02-25 12:28 PM (#77908)
Subject: Winterizing Question

Charter Member

A friend recently purchased an LQ trailer. We stayed in it this weekend and I asked her if they had said anything to her about how to winterize it and stuff.

She said it had already been done.

I don't have an LQ (yet) so what I know is only from what little I have read here about it.

It seems to me that this is something that would have to be repeated if it is used during the winter.

Am I wrong?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-02-25 1:14 PM (#77913 - in reply to #77908)
Subject: RE: Winterizing Question

Elite Veteran

If you used the plumbing - toilet or sink, and hot water tank. Then it was NOT winterized. There is a RV non-toxic antifreeze that is bled into the water lines to keep them from breaking. We drain all of our tanks real good before the cold weather sets in and add the antifreeze to the lines. So if you used the plumbing and are expecting freezing temps, then yes the trailer needs rewinterized or a heat source needs to be left on in the trailer. But you are taking a chance any how on the pipes freezing in extreme cold without the antifreeze.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-02-25 2:17 PM (#77919 - in reply to #77908)

Expert

As said on the post above.  If you used any water in the trailers plumbing, then you need to re-winterize.

I suspect being in Texas you are past the worst of your winter.  I know in another couple of weeks, I won't be worrying about winter here in Utah.

If you are getting below freezing and staying below freezing for more than a hour or two at a  time, Then you will need to winterize.   I suspect your trailer will hold some heat from the day time high temps. It will take a little while for the temp in the trailer to drop.  If you are barely dropping to 32* and only being that cold for an hour, you are probably ok, the residual heat in the trailer will probably protect everything.  If your temps are dropping into the 20's  and staying that cold for 3-5 hours. Then I'd absolutely drain the water.

Mandi/Abby
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-02-25 4:47 PM (#77930 - in reply to #77908)

Charter Member

Again, it wasn't my trailer and thankfully, a few showers were taken in it before me and I didn't drink any water from it.....only going off what she said. I was really unsure as to what he may have told her when she purchased it, but its a pretty nice trailer and I would hate to see her pipes bust.

As for being past our winter...that is an unknown. I'm in a part of Texas that rarely sees snow and last year, on Easter, we rec'd 6".

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-02-25 4:57 PM (#77933 - in reply to #77908)

Expert

If you frequently use your LQ trailer in sub freezing conditions and have to continually flush with anti freeze to protect the plumbing, there is another less expensive way you may want to consider.

Drain the water as usual. Purchase an air to water hose adapter, about $5, and purge the water system using compressed air. A small portable compressor works well. The main thing to remember is never to exceed the working pressure of the water system with the applied air pressure.

Gard