Any body have those pain in the tail neighbor with horses always getting out?
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-02-23 9:41 AM (#77713)
Subject: Any body have those pain in the tail neighbor with horses always getting out?

Extreme Veteran

What a pain!!!!!! Neighbors horses getting out at least once every 3 months. I just love to walk out to the barn to feed the horses in the morning and have company.  It wouldn't be so bad if they were good horses.  They are rank and will try to kick you in a heartbeat. They don't need the horses in my opinion. Never riden and so forth. I won't even attempt to go get them till daylight. They try to give them to me all the time. No, don't need anymore horses, got too many myself. I hate disrespectful horses.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but they aren't mine so......
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-02-23 9:46 AM (#77714 - in reply to #77713)
Subject: RE: Any body have those pain in the tail neighbor with horses always getting out?

Elite Veteran

Other than the disrespectful horse part, I was one of those neighbors. But my problem was someone (neighbors? neighborhood kids? passersby?) would periodically open my gates and run my horses out. Several were skeptical of my story until one morning I found my wire gate tied back, sticks twisted in my electic fence and remnants of fireworks around the area. This has been going on for twenty years and still happens about once a year-infuriating! So, I feel your indignation.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-02-23 9:51 AM (#77716 - in reply to #77713)
Subject: RE: Any body have those pain in the tail neighbor with horses always getting out?

You might suggest that they give the horses to Willie Nelson, Bo Derek, the US senators who are supporting the anti slaughter legislation.....or just carry them to your state capital, unload them, tie them to a lamp post with a sign, "Free horses, you haul you have."

Am sorry for your problem.  Hope it can be resolved in an amicable way.

Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-02-23 9:54 AM (#77717 - in reply to #77713)

Extreme Veteran

It wouldn't be so bad if they were respectful and all. As far as your problem I would hotwire the gate to the electric fence. Let them deal with that.
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-02-23 10:00 AM (#77718 - in reply to #77716)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by rose on 2008-02-23 1:51 PM

You might suggest that they give the horses to Willie Nelson, Bo Derek, the US senators who are supporting the anti slaughter legislation.....or just carry them to your state capital, unload them, tie them to a lamp post with a sign, "Free horses, you haul you have."

Am sorry for your problem.  Hope it can be resolved in an amicable way.

No resolving unfortunetly, I just deal with it. Horses are skinny. Couldn't tell it until I caught one today and rubbed it, felt the ribs. Normally are in O.K. shape. I am just kind to the horses, as I can be, won't let them run over me.

cowgirldi34
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2008-02-23 10:00 AM (#77719 - in reply to #77713)

Regular

I too get upset with owners who don't have good fences, or just don't give a rat's @#!, BUT this is not the horse's fault, no matter how rank or nasty they are. I always help the neighbors when horses are out, because I know that they would help me, and have. Four years ago, all 9 of mine walked over a high, hardpacked snow drift in a blizzard and wandered around the section, and 3 were killed by a semi truck on the highway. Thank god for my neighbors who braved the cold that morning to help me look for the other 6, who did get home safely. If I were you, talk with these people, if you get nowhere, call the cops, humane society, whatever. Sounds like they don't deserve to have horses in the first place. and yes, if their horses cause an accident, or hurt someone they CAN be held legally responsible........tell them that, maybe they will listen. We almost had to go to court when ours got out, and it was and"act of God"(snowstorm) but we had to endure almost a year of depositions, legal crap, and reliving that terrible dark morning.( I still have nightmares of my 3 faithful buddies lying in the ditch.) Around here, we all kinda look out for eachothers livestock...they don't get out often, but it's nice to know neighbors are around when I'm sometimes not!! Good luck!
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-02-23 10:05 AM (#77721 - in reply to #77713)

Extreme Veteran

You hit the nail on the head. That is why I deal with it. They watch after my place when I am not around. Don't like it but I deal with it.
horsecrazi
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2008-02-23 11:43 AM (#77737 - in reply to #77713)

Veteran

I don't have bad horse neighbors ,but do have plain old bad neighbors! They are lazy and trash things up! They don't mow there grass untill it is up to there knee's.,And get this..last weekend they must of got a new matress and just tossed the other one out back.I hardley ever see them  so in that sense they aren't a bother to me ,but they do trash things up,and I can see it from my place.It is real annoying!
freeindeed
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2008-02-23 12:04 PM (#77740 - in reply to #77713)

We most certainly do. It has been going on (off and on, depending on the state of their crummy broken barbed wire fencing) for several years. The worst part is-two of the horses are stallions (!) and we have mares. We finally called animal control, and they sent a deputy out-the owner got a warning and a follow up visit because the horses are scrawny and unhealthy looking. Next time they show up I am going straight to the magistrate's office-I am tired of fooling around with these people and being taken advantage of. We tried talking, we tried being nice (I did, although my husband advised against it), and now I truly realize why there have to be laws, and law enforcement officers-it's for those people who think they are above the law and only care about themselves.
MiniT
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-02-23 7:33 PM (#77769 - in reply to #77713)

New User

I have a  neighbor that has a stud halflinger pony mix she ties him to a block and expects him to stay in her  I look out side and there he is in my yard trying to push his way in my wood  fence after my girls. I told her about it she just laught. I had to go out and buy fence  to put on my property line with a hot wire on the top to keep her animals off. 
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-02-24 12:13 AM (#77784 - in reply to #77713)

Elite Veteran

Oh yeah, and it is quite frequent. Always have to be alert when riding down the road. Never sure if the make shift fence has gone down. Or they have the horses loose in the front yard to graze with no supervision.

Once I mentioned that it was very dangerous to have the horses grazing freely, the response was "Didn't know you were riding down the road today". Of course they never thought about a car or truck come barreling down the road and spooking the horse into the line of it.

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-02-24 5:29 PM (#77828 - in reply to #77713)

Expert

We had neighbours like this in Tx.  They had a good fence/gate, but they were to lazy to close the gate so it was always open.  Their horses spent a week in our pasture before I called the sheriff out.  When I went to their house they were home, I could hear them but they ignored me.  Their pig almost ran our horses through the fence, he was used to being with their horses and when he came to our house he figured ours would do.  They were TERRIFIED of it and I had to trap it in my garage (oh the mess).  After ignoring me again, I called the sheriff again.  Told them next time it goes to the butcher.   They also had a jersey cow that was always loose along the road with 4 or 5 calves nursing her.

Even though NM is a free range state, the problem around here is mostly the dogs running loose.  I've only had cows around the house once and horses twice, but the law here says you have to fence them OUT of your property or they are free to graze it.

freeindeed
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2008-02-24 6:51 PM (#77839 - in reply to #77713)

Sounds like there are a lot of us who have to deal with irresponsible livestock owners. The same neighbors who have the free-roaming stallion by us also had a young bull, apparently they bought a dairy cow who calved and it was boy-he grew up and followed his mom and horse buddies over here one day-my husband was leaf-blowing in the yard and didn't notice them until it was almost too late-I still laugh at the memory of that angry bull doing laps around our yard after my husband clocked it with a brick in self-defense!(Mainly laughing because of the surprised look on my husband's face-I witnessed the scene from the kitchen window). They finally got rid of that mixed-breed bull after it got in with our other neighbor's prize black angus cows.....some people just shouldn't own animals...
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-02-24 9:56 PM (#77857 - in reply to #77839)

Expert

down the road from the farm I manage is a stable were the fence is so bad that a cat could knock it down, When the horse get out I get a call from the pd to come and help round them  up in town half hour a way I go for the horse every time  
my3horses
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-02-29 3:30 PM (#78359 - in reply to #77713)

Veteran

I have a friend whose horses get out on occasion, but they live in a very rural community and rarely anyone notices.  I am always on to her about putting up a better fence.  Anyway, this winter we had a really bad wind storm and a large branch fell on the fence and pushed it down.  They did not know they were out until the next morning--they were nowhere to be seen.  They hooked up the trailer and drove around looking for them.  They were about 3 miles from their house when they looked in the rearview mirror and behind them a bit was there six horses chasing them.  They stopped opened up the back of the trailer and ALL happily jumped in.  Even the mule who is a pain in the butt to load!  They were happy to see their trailer and were ready to go home!
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-02-29 4:18 PM (#78371 - in reply to #78359)

Expert

do they load with out a problem now???
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-02-29 6:23 PM (#78384 - in reply to #77714)

Expert

Originally written by terri s on 2008-02-23 10:46 AM

Other than the disrespectful horse part, I was one of those neighbors. But my problem was someone (neighbors? neighborhood kids? passersby?) would periodically open my gates and run my horses out. Several were skeptical of my story until one morning I found my wire gate tied back, sticks twisted in my electic fence and remnants of fireworks around the area. This has been going on for twenty years and still happens about once a year-infuriating! So, I feel your indignation.

Terri you need these...

http://www.pof.gov.pk/products/flaretripwire.htm

terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-03-01 6:41 AM (#78408 - in reply to #77713)

Elite Veteran

That would probably work lots better than me sitting up in my tree with a gun!

Edited to add: I really like the hotwire idea too though.

Edited by terri s 2008-03-01 6:45 AM
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-03-02 12:59 AM (#78448 - in reply to #78408)

Extreme Veteran

Light em up...... It won't kill em, maybe make them pee on themselves though. That should be funny if the cops show up with them standing there with a big wet spot near the crotch. LOL :)

terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-03-02 6:49 AM (#78454 - in reply to #77713)

Elite Veteran

How ironic is this-after I closed this down I went to the barn to shuffle some horses around. The mare is standing in front of the barn grazing. Understand I live in the city (well, ok, it's got 2500 residents, but I'm inside city limits). The gate to the barn lot is standing wide open. I was JUST THERE 15 minutes ago feeding.

The gate is a typical farm gate that you chain around a post. Except that mine gets looped through a bolt and back around. And the chain is caught into a slotted catch. And there is a rope snap on the end that I clip back through two links on the chain. And the rope snap is missing and nowhere to be found. Damned if I don't have smart horses. I have to wonder if the neighbor who calls to let me know they're out isn't the one who is letting them out. Shooting is too good for them!

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-03-02 2:16 PM (#78485 - in reply to #77713)

Expert

Well if you teach your horses this well...it would make it easier to recover them...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9zp-u0Oxgg

terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-03-02 4:54 PM (#78498 - in reply to #77713)

Elite Veteran

Interesting concept-mine are usually pretty willing to follow the feed can back thank heavens. If I could teach the horses to chase whoever let them out...
tank
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2008-03-03 9:11 AM (#78537 - in reply to #77713)

tank
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2008-03-03 9:14 AM (#78538 - in reply to #77713)

Messed up my last post, sorry! Yes! We have some neighbors behind us with three Arabians who are getting out sometimes a couple of times a week. The police have been called a couple of times about it. I don't know when they will fix their fencing.
ntcowgirl
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-03-03 10:09 AM (#78543 - in reply to #77713)

Regular

I had a similar problem in Indiana.   Not horses, but had the neighbors pigs and cows on a daily basis.  (i had better pasture)    I can't remember all of the details on how I first handled it but I started keeping a record...document, document, document!     Date and how many of each animal were on my property daily.    The neighbor can be charged.   The sheriff ended up putting a restraining order of their animals.    Every time they then came on my property, I had to call the sheriff and they had to come and make a report and visit the neighbor.   A real pain in the butt but that's how it worked.   I ended up taking mine to small claims court and won.    Also, in Indiana (check to see what your laws are) the fence has to be "hog-tight".   There was a 6 strand barb wire property line fence and we both had to replace our sections with the "hog-tight" fence.  

When you have a neighbor like that, it turns in to the Hatfields and McCoys...never ends!   

Our situation got ugly when I made them start taking responsiblity.

I ended up moving...drastic measure but worth getting away from the stress of it all!

Something else....property owners...before purchasing land, be sure there are no easements!   

cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-03-04 6:51 PM (#78646 - in reply to #77713)

Extreme Veteran

I suggest a phone call to animal control...........maybe that will wake up the no good horse owners to do something, or they'll prob. wait until they wander out into a road and a car hits them, and then they'll get sued. There are laws pertaining to the fencing of livestock. You may also want to call the Bearue of Livestock ID in your area, they can enforce laws like that too.................With Sherriff, brand inspectors, Hiway Patrol and Animal Control, wandering livestock in our area is to a minimum.