primitive camping suggestions
arabrider
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-02-02 12:16 AM (#75856)
Subject: primitive camping suggestions

New User

Hoping for some advice - I recently bought a 3 horse bumper pull trailer with a small dressing room.  I am pulling with a Suburban.  Love the trailer - it's Shadow, no complaints at all.  What's the problem? :

I go on weekend camping trips every 2nd or 3rd weekend from March to October - endurance riding.

I'm looking for advice/products to make my weekend camping trips a bit more civilized. 

Initially, I tried sleeping in the suburban - not fun and can be very cold.  I have a cot and a rug that I plan to put on the floor of the horse area after it has been swept out.

I had thought about converting the dressing area to a small living quarters, but haven't found a lot of info on this online.

I have several questions -

would love to have power to have lights, coffeemaker inside the trailer.  I do have inside lights in the horse area.  Is it possible to power other things off an auxiliary battery perhaps?

Biggest issue - heat.  I live in the midwest and the spring/fall rides can be very chilly.  I have a Mr. Buddy - that didn't seem to be able to handle the cold.  Trailer inside area is probably too large for the Mr. Buddy.  I am thinking about a generator - other ideas?

Would love to hear any ideas on equipment, modifications to make the next ride season more comfy! 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Towfoo
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-02-02 3:08 AM (#75858 - in reply to #75856)
Subject: RE: primitive camping suggestions

Veteran

Kerosene heater. I have an Aladdin with a similar design to the one in the link and love it. A tank of fuel lasts about 10 hours. It will keep a 200 sf room toasty.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1440523

You could also use a quality sleeping bag with no heat at all. Might be hard get out of it in the morning, though. :-)

Lights and coffeemaker can be powered off the battery. Get a 12v coffeemaker and you won't need an inverter.

Edited by Towfoo 2008-02-02 3:22 AM
Angelmay84
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-02-02 5:21 AM (#75864 - in reply to #75856)

Veteran

Get  a porta potty to stick in the horse compartment, I second the 12v. coffee pot, and if you're looking at a generator you will probably want to go with something like an onan if you want to save your eardrums.  Personally, I'd save the $2000 and just get battery/propane powered things. The cot would be a good idea to keep you off the cold floor.

BTW, I'm a fellow Illinois-dweller.  I'm around peoria.  I know what you mean about spring & fall...but at this point I'm ready for anything above 40 degrees!

Amanda

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-02-02 7:26 AM (#75866 - in reply to #75856)

Expert

why not use a tent and Coleman camping products?
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-02-02 11:44 AM (#75881 - in reply to #75856)

Expert

Any heater that uses a fuel can be dangerous in a closed area, particularly those that are unvented. There was a thread about the deaths of a family camping just last summer. If fuels are used, be sure to follow the usual precautions of adequate ventilation, and purchase a CO and smoke detector.

There are many 12v appliances available, but don't hook them all up to your lighting circuit. It would be better to wire another circuit off your battery with its own breaker/fuse to power the new appliances.

I would also make sure that I was running all of this electrical load off a battery separate from your Suburban. Any one of the appliances or even the lighting can drain a battery. You will always want an ability to start your vehicle.

Primitive camping for me is a full LQ with a broken tv.

BOL  Gard

acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2008-02-02 7:10 PM (#75901 - in reply to #75856)

Extreme Veteran

I started doing CTR's then endurance riding back in the mid 80's when "primitive camping" was the only kind of camping!  How things have changed...

A couple friends used to sweep out their trailers then sleep in them.  you can make it very cosy with blankets on the walls, table, etc.  I think in that sitation a generator is more trouble than it's worth. 

I have a small heater/cooker contraption that came from Cabellas.  it's very handy and runs off of the small propane bottles.  I'd turn it on at nite to take the chill off then get into the sleeping bag, first thing in the morning turn it on and while it was warming the trailer also use it to heat hot water for hot chocolate or instant coffee.  it's very stable, it will hang from a hook or whatever and also can be turned on it's back to use as a heating burner.  it only cost around $30. 

Rockinghorserun
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-02-02 7:50 PM (#75904 - in reply to #75856)

Veteran

I would get a 12V electric blanket and a power box.  I have seen them in Cabellas and JC Whitney for sale. Probably around $30. The power box I have is a 1000W from Sam's for around $49. I have a propane stove and heat water for whatever I need. You could make instant coffee or cowboy brew on the stove.  My friend sleeps in her 2 horse that has a walkway to the dressing room.  She started with an air mattress but upgraded to the Coleman cot. Her porta potti is on the other side of the divider. She uses a Buddy heater to heat up in there and shuts it off when she goes to bed. To keep the trailer warm you can hang something on the interior sides (canvas tarp, blankets, old drapes) this will keep your heat in better. 

Rockinghorserun
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-02-02 7:54 PM (#75905 - in reply to #75856)

Veteran

Another thing.  Honda makes a 2000W inverter generator that is perfect for camping.  It is super quiet and new is under $1000.  You can find used on Ebay or check for trade-ins at a Honda shop.  This would run your coffee pot and electric heater (but not together).
ccook
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-02-03 6:39 AM (#75925 - in reply to #75856)

I also have 2 hrs bumper pull and do alot of primitative camping. I live in Michigan, sometimes it gets really cold. If you get a cot get a aluminium spring cot with a good thick foam mattress. No poles in your sides. Helps with keeping the cold air from coming up underneath. Colemen carries these. You can buy sleeping bag warmers also, these are like the hand warmers. I have wore socks and put the hand warmers in my bag. Make sure you get sleeping bag rated for below zero. Wear a hat to bed, you loose alot of heat from your head. I have a propane stove that I make coffee on with a metal coffee pot, best tasting coffee. I also own a zodi propane shower, best invention ever made :) I have the twin tank one and heats the water up fast, I usually turn one tank off cause it gets to hot. These showers save water too!
coltaffyjo
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2008-02-03 6:57 AM (#75927 - in reply to #75856)

Regular

I would sell both the bumper pull and suburban for a truck with a gooseneck style living quarters. A gooseneck living quarters can provide the bed area in the gooseneck area with any size living quarters your needs desire. You can spend as little or as much as possible. Please be careful of heating devices. On page 25 of the February NRHA reiner magazine mentions the deaths of a family resulting from CO poisoning from the use of a propane heater.........Carbon Monoxide detectors can be life saving. My point is--buy a RVIA certified living quarters that fits your needs........What is your life worth while you camp??? Please help the economy and BUY BUY BUY!!!!!!! You will not have any problems trading around from your current trailer and tow vehicle.........BEST OF LUCK and have fun!!! Paul
TPenning
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-02-03 11:00 AM (#75937 - in reply to #75856)

Veteran

I used to have a bumper pull trailer with no tack space. My daughter and I took 3 horses for a week long trip, and piled it really deep with straw. At each stop we cleaned out the manure and wet straw and fluffed the rest. I slid plywood into the window slots to close them up, leaving just a small air gap on one of them. We inflated an air mattress and put it on top of the straw, then put our little pop up tent on top of the air mattress, with the tent door facing the escape door at the front of the trailer.  We could hop in the trailer through the escape door and we had a space with our coolers and a couple of lawn chairs where we could eat or get dressed, and then scoot into the tent to sleep. We put my husbands down-filled sleeping bag under us, and a cheapo sleeping bag on top. We slept with our bare feet hanging out and the blankets kicked part way off, nice and toasty, while everyone else on the trip complained about how they froze.  Just keep in mind that if you sleep on an air mattress, you need good insulation between it and you - it's like sleeping on ice if all you have is a sheet under you.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-02-03 4:18 PM (#75956 - in reply to #75856)

Expert

For heat you could try the zodi tent heater.  That way the combustion/fumes are outside.  I want to get one for my horse trailer.

http://www.zodi.com/web-content/Consumer/zodihotvent.html

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-02-03 4:26 PM (#75957 - in reply to #75927)

Expert

Originally written by coltaffyjo on 2008-02-03 6:57 PM

I would sell both the bumper pull and suburban for a truck with a gooseneck style living quarters. A gooseneck living quarters can provide the bed area in the gooseneck area with any size living quarters your needs desire. You can spend as little or as much as possible. Please be careful of heating devices. On page 25 of the February NRHA reiner magazine mentions the deaths of a family resulting from CO poisoning from the use of a propane heater.........Carbon Monoxide detectors can be life saving. My point is--buy a RVIA certified living quarters that fits your needs........What is your life worth while you camp??? Please help the economy and BUY BUY BUY!!!!!!! You will not have any problems trading around from your current trailer and tow vehicle.........BEST OF LUCK and have fun!!! Paul

As much as everyone would love to do that.  It isn't practical and not everyone needs or wants a big truck and trailer.   And not everyone can afford it.

Rockinghorserun
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-02-03 4:50 PM (#75960 - in reply to #75856)

Veteran

I agree with you Terri.  Not everyone can afford a LQ with today's economics.  I have a goosneck stock with a dressing room converted to dry LQ. It's paid for and I can't justify taking out a loan for something that will sit more than use.  You make do with what you can afford.  I have seen alot of people set up in their bumper pulls or stock trailers. They have just as good a time as the $40,000 rigs when riding.  I have also seen quite a few rigs sitting for sale because the owners couldn't afford them after they took out the loan for the $50k+ trailers. Arabrider, you will probably have the best memories in your trailer setting it up as a cozy little nest then most riders in their "big rigs".
Collin
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-02-04 3:08 PM (#76050 - in reply to #75956)

I was just looking at zodis web site. It said tent heaters no longer available ,all of them. I had never saw these heaters b4. I wonder if there is a problem with them? Does any one know? Its a great idea though.
sskinner
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-02-04 3:27 PM (#76052 - in reply to #75856)

Regular

Have you considered maybe going the route of a pickup camper & truck instead of a Suburban? You can pick up nice used ones for quite reasonable, and you would have heat, water, fridge & stove AND a dry place to sleep (all without electric hookups if they are not available.) You can still use your BP trailer & will be able get in & out of campsites quite easily.

And I too will caution about using portable heaters in unvented areas - just this past fall 4 people at a Clydesdale show north of Madison lost their lives to CO...

Edited by sskinner 2008-02-04 3:28 PM
Towfoo
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-02-04 3:57 PM (#76054 - in reply to #75856)

Veteran

Always good to use caution with heaters of any kind. Even electric ones in your house. My neighbor burned his house down with an electric wall heater. He never used it, it so he cut the circuit breaker for it and put a couch in front of it. One day another breaker tripped, he went to box, "reset" the breaker for the heater by mistake and then left for work.

The kerosene heater I recommended earlier in this thread (which is what probably generated the repeated death warnings) is a very safe, easy to use, economical heater that would work great in the OP's horse trailer. It was designed to be used indoors in enclosed spaces and burns very clean. My wife and I used ours as our primary heat source for many years. Many, many nights we ran it all night in our <100 sf bedroom, sometimes with the door shut when it got really cold (cheap '40s era duplex with no insulation, LOL). It regularly burned out before I woke to refill it, which you can do while it's running, btw...fuel tank removes from unit. I'm sure it must have put out a little CO as it died down, but nowhere near enough to kill us, obviously. When these heaters run out of kerosene, they go from full efficiency burning to out cold in about 15 minutes. If you knock into it, it shuts off.

Still, anything can happen. A CO detector is cheap insurance. Stay warm. Sleep well.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-02-04 4:39 PM (#76058 - in reply to #75856)

Expert

I spent many a night in the front of my bare gooseneck at CTR rides. I've spent many a night sleeping in a wall tent while hunting. I spent a lot of nights hunting and fishing sleeping under the shell on my pick up bed.

Get a good sleeping bag. Don't use the heaters unless you are awake.

I used to warm up the area before going to sleep. Turn of the Mr Buddy Heater,  Wake up in the morning and turn it on as I got up. I spent a lot of nights at 15*-18* and slept just fine.

A Colman stove to cook on.

If you sleep in the back of the trailer or a tent.  Get a cot and put a good pad on it to insulate you from cold underneath.

As mentioned get a small generator. Honda, Yamaha and the Chinese knock offs all offer small 1000 or  2000 watt generators. I dragged a 2000 watt generator along for years.  It will run a small microwave to warm up soup/chili/oatmeal or a danish.  I still keep a George Foreman grill in my trailers.  Plug it into the generator and It can cook a hot dog, hamburger, pork chop, chicken breast, salmon portion faster with that, than it takes to get out and set up the coleman stove.

I just use the Generators to cook food, provide lights and recharge the battery. Not to produce heat.

I saw some folks place a tarp around the Gooseneck of stock trailer. Inside that enclosed area, they put their Porta Potty. Private and far enough away from their bed so they didn't smell it.

And of course you can set up a nice tent, install a wood burning camp stove, stock it up good with wood and go to bed.

coltaffyjo
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2008-02-04 7:06 PM (#76062 - in reply to #75856)

Regular

Let's do a search on HTW for a weekender LQ. Bet they are not 40 to 50 thousand. THe person that posted this thread would enjoy her 2 to 3 weekends a month in her trailer over a tent. hands down. Making coffee in a tent over an outside fire versus plug and brew?? He/She already mentioned external power( I am sensing generator) And with today's creative financing, the payments would be very affordable. A trailer of this size would not require a Big truck. At the Congress , Lakota had very nice LQ's in bumper pull trailers. Let's face it-- Owning horses is not cheap--- Half of the fun is all the extras you get to buy!!!! Unfortunately, you may have to pay for a little convenience but won't regret the purchase once you are in a rain storm in your tent..............My family decided to sell our LQ's and go the route of Hotel rooms.......go figure.............
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-02-04 10:22 PM (#76085 - in reply to #75856)

Expert

Holiday Inn Express...Red Roof Inn...Motel 6...these are pretty primitive...
martyg
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-02-04 10:47 PM (#76090 - in reply to #76085)

Veteran

All good posts.  For heat, there are a lot of options, but when you dont have hookups or want to annoy me with your generator one of the best and safest propane heaters is the small catalytic heaters made by Olympian...I'm not a salesperson, but I did my research.  A cat heater burns much cleaner than any other type of heater and releases much less fumes and co2 and these us no electricity.  All the posts are correct about the dangers of using any heater that burns fuel inside your trailer.  With the small olympian, I crack a ceiling vent 1/2" and open the trailer door window 1/2".  I have often operated this heater all night and will continue to do so based on researching these heaters on the internet.  There are a lot of RV'ers using them.    Install a good co2 monitor and smoke detector and ensure you dont have any combustables where they could fall etc.  If nothing else use the heater to warm up your space for a couple hours before you turn in.  With an insulated lq and a good goosedown spread, you'll sleep like a baby.  Get your spouse to crawl out and turn on the heater before you crawl out and you'll be warm in the morning!
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-02-04 11:39 PM (#76094 - in reply to #76090)

Expert

Originally written by martyg on 2008-02-04 11:47 PM

Get your spouse to crawl out and turn on the heater before you crawl out and you'll be warm in the morning!

You may be warm, but I'll bet you'll be cooking your own breakfast.

Gard

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-02-05 12:17 AM (#76098 - in reply to #76050)

Expert

Originally written by Collin on 2008-02-04 3:08 AM

I was just looking at zodis web site. It said tent heaters no longer available ,all of them. I had never saw these heaters b4. I wonder if there is a problem with them? Does any one know? Its a great idea though.

I emailed them and they said they were out of stock.  After googleing them everyone that I checked said they were out of stock too.  I'd love to get one for my small DR.

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-02-05 12:23 AM (#76099 - in reply to #76062)

Expert

You sound like as trailer salesman.  

And with today's creative financing

That is one of the scariest things I've read in a while and gets lots of people in trouble.

martyg
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-02-05 4:22 PM (#76138 - in reply to #76098)

Veteran

We'll Gard...I am the spouse that always gets up and turns on the heater...plus cooks the breakfast. But I'm not complaining...my wife got us started into these horses, now the both us and the 2 kids have been into it for a few years. Kids barrel race, county fair 4h, and we do a lot of camping/trailriding. Having a spouse that wants to do these things is worth getting up early, turning on the heater and cooking her breakfast.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-02-05 5:06 PM (#76139 - in reply to #75856)

Expert

Go ahead Martyg, ruin it for the rest of us, who have worked long hard years, finally convincing our wives that because we work soooo hard, that we deserve breakfast and a warm place. Then guys like you come along and just blow us out of the water. All that work for nothing!!!! What happened to the male bonding thing?

Now that I have to pretend that I'm half the person you are, my days of relaxation are over. Man, I wish my wife didn't see your posting.

Gard

PS. Isn't your horse involvement a great way to raise your children? The times your family have been together, the sights you've seen, the people you've met. all would have not been possible except for this hobby.

Edited by gard 2008-02-05 5:23 PM
sinful
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-02-05 6:08 PM (#76141 - in reply to #76139)

Extreme Veteran

Hey Gard...Im a Woman and I'm on your side.  I don't like primitive anything.  I'm into creature comfort.
Collin
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-02-06 9:31 AM (#76186 - in reply to #76098)

Terri, 

Thanks for the reply. I am going to keep checking there site. I got to get one of those heaters. I am going to a ride this weekend and its gong to be in the 30's at night. My Buddy heater just doesn't cut it. I hate to be cold.

trailer/truck newbie
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-02-06 12:44 PM (#76221 - in reply to #76186)

Regular

Hi Collin,

Now don't laugh... Try sleeping with a hairdryer beside you and if you get cold just turn it on and warm up your sleeping bag! It might sound weird, but it works and it is cheap.

Good luck on the ride and hope you stay warm!

Jodie

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-02-06 12:56 PM (#76222 - in reply to #75856)

Expert

Jodi.

To use your hair dryer, you would have to get up, dress yourself and go outside to start the generator. By the time you return, you're cold and will need some coffee. By the time that's made and consumed, everyone has been awaken, and it's your fault. The morning will arrive with red eyes and much grumpy accompaniment.

Don't you relish your camping experiences?

Gard

Towfoo
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-02-06 1:23 PM (#76223 - in reply to #76058)

Veteran

Ahhhhhhhh, toasty!

trailer/truck newbie
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-02-06 1:48 PM (#76226 - in reply to #76222)

Regular

Hi Gard,

You mean to say they don't make "remote starters" for those generators? OMG! Why not? Hmm, in that case, I like your idea about sending the spouse out to do those things. In so far as waking everyone up, that would mean that my kids would still be sleeping first thing in the morning. They sure don't do that now, so I can't imagine what early hours camping would bring. Regarding the need for coffee consumption, my husband is much more of a slave to the caffeine gods than I am so I wouldn't need to prompt him for that. Maybe I could send him to the closest Starbucks....LOL.

Regards,

Jodie

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-02-06 1:57 PM (#76228 - in reply to #75856)

Expert

I sit up in bed, ask hubby if it is coffee time yet, he murmurs... mm hmm, so I lean over and push the remote starter for the generator...and coffee is then making right along.... lucious!!
trailer/truck newbie
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-02-06 2:01 PM (#76230 - in reply to #76228)

Regular

Now that sounds like a good idea! I would definitely have to buy one of those remote start generators before embarking on a family camping trip. Maybe I could run the bread maker off that generator. The timers on the coffee maker and bread maker could be set so we could wake up to the smell of coffee and fresh baked bread. Who says we are a spoiled society?

Regards,

Jodie

Collin
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-02-06 2:46 PM (#76233 - in reply to #76221)

Originally written by trailer/truck newbie on 2008-02-06 12:44 PM

Hi Collin,

Now don't laugh... Try sleeping with a hairdryer beside you and if you get cold just turn it on and warm up your sleeping bag! It might sound weird, but it works and it is cheap.

Good luck on the ride and hope you stay warm!

Jodie

Now thats funny.  I bet it works though. 

I'm leaning toward Towfoo's Idea. My gen. is LOUD and were not suppose to run it after 10:00 when at rides.

trailer/truck newbie
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-02-06 3:05 PM (#76236 - in reply to #75856)

Regular

Now this would be even better than the hair dryer and not noisy like the generator. I have battery operated wool socks and they are WARM. I'll bet this sleeping bag would be just as toasty.....

Jodie

<form style="MARGIN: 0px" action=http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/nsearch method=get>    
Download the Garage-Toys Mini Catalog

<script language=JavaScript1.2 src="http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/streamlinedistribution/library.js"><script language=JavaScript1.2 src="http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/streamlinedistribution/css.js"><script language=JavaScript1.2 src="http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/streamlinedistribution/07040-menu-data.js"><script language=JavaScript1.2 src="http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/streamlinedistribution/dqm-script.js"><script language=JavaScript1.2 src="http://edit.store.yahoo.com/lib/yhst-1088096427313/dqm-ie.js">

(event) onmouseout=hideMenu(event) height=20 alt="" src="http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/streamlinedistribution/07040-garage-toys-menu-03.gif" width=169 border=0 name=menu0>
(event) onmouseout=hideMenu(event) height=20 alt="" src="http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/streamlinedistribution/07040-garage-toys-menu-04.gif" width=169 border=0 name=menu1>
(event) onmouseout=hideMenu(event) height=20 alt="" src="http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/streamlinedistribution/07040-garage-toys-menu-05.gif" width=169 border=0 name=menu2>
(event) onmouseout=hideMenu(event) height=20 alt="" src="http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/streamlinedistribution/07040-garage-toys-menu-06.gif" width=169 border=0 name=menu3>
(event) onmouseout=hideMenu(event) height=20 alt="" src="http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/streamlinedistribution/07040-garage-toys-menu-07.gif" width=169 border=0 name=menu4>
(event) onmouseout=hideMenu(event) height=20 alt="" src="http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/streamlinedistribution/07040-garage-toys-menu-08.gif" width=169 border=0 name=menu5>
(event) onmouseout=hideMenu(event) height=20 alt="" src="http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/streamlinedistribution/07040-garage-toys-menu-09.gif" width=169 border=0 name=menu6>
(event) onmouseout=hideMenu(event) height=19 alt="" src="http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/streamlinedistribution/07040-garage-toys-menu-10.gif" width=169 border=0 name=menu7>
(event) onmouseout=hideMenu(event) height=20 alt="" src="http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/streamlinedistribution/07040-garage-toys-menu-11.gif" width=169 border=0 name=menu8>
(event) onmouseout=hideMenu(event) height=20 alt="" src="http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/streamlinedistribution/07040-garage-toys-menu-12.gif" width=169 border=0 name=menu9>
(event) onmouseout=hideMenu(event) height=20 alt="" src="http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/streamlinedistribution/07040-garage-toys-menu-14.gif" width=169 border=0 name=menu10>
(event) onmouseout=hideMenu(event) height=20 alt="" src="http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/streamlinedistribution/07040-garage-toys-menu-13.gif" width=169 border=0 name=menu11>
(event) onmouseout=hideMenu(event) height=20 alt="" src="http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/streamlinedistribution/07040-garage-toys-menu-16.gif" width=169 border=0 name=menu12>
(event) onmouseout=hideMenu(event) height=20 alt="" src="http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/streamlinedistribution/07040-garage-toys-menu-18.gif" width=169 border=0 name=menu13>
(event) onmouseout=hideMenu(event) height=20 alt="" src="http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/streamlinedistribution/07040-garage-toys-menu-19.gif" width=169 border=0 name=menu14>
(event) onmouseout=hideMenu(event) height=20 alt="" src="http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/streamlinedistribution/07040-garage-toys-menu-20.gif" width=169 border=0 name=menu15>
(event) onmouseout=hideMenu(event) height=20 alt="" src="http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/streamlinedistribution/07040-garage-toys-menu-21.gif" width=169 border=0 name=menu16>
GT Product Lines
GT Catalog Store
Rating
Price Quote
Email Us
GT Info
Search
Index
pad

Home > Camp Site > Camping Accessories > Other > Heatek Heated Accessories > "Heatek" Heated Sleeping Bag

Click to enlargepad

Love the outdoors? Getting to cold? This product is just for you.

-Operated by 12VDC 9Ah Lithium-Ion rechargable battery

-Adjustable two heat settings

-Up to 8 hours of heated comfort

-Automatic temperature control, temp keeps between 113 degrees F +/- 5 degrees(Hi temp setting) and 95 degrees F +/- 5 degrees (Low temp setting)

-Water proof outer shell

-Temperature rating: 27 degrees F

-AC/DC rechargable adapter included

-Compact 12V-9Ah battery included

-Sleeping bag, battery charger and pouches included

-36" - 90", size fits all

-Product Material: Shell: 100% polyester Lining: 100% polyester

<form action=https://order.store.yahoo.net/cgi-bin/wg-order?streamlinedistribution+hheslbag method=post>"Heatek" Heated Sleeping Bag
09910sleepingbagpadRegular price: $215.95padGarage-Toys price: $199.95pad
<style type=text/css>

What Happens in the Garage,

Stays in the Garage!

<script language=JavaScript type=text/javascript><script language=JavaScript src="http://vms.boldchat.com/aid/5364637662964448614/bc.vms/vms.js?url=http%3A//garage-toys.com/hheslbag.html&referrer=http%3A//www.google.ca/search%3Fhl%3Den%26q%3Dbattery+operated+heated+sleeping+bag%26meta%3D&cidid=6554257474101563230&cwdid=4034513615321483039&cp=http&cw=640&ch=480" type=text/javascript> <noscript>Live Chat

Speedy delivery, cheap shipping rates, Great Customer service at Garage-Toys.com 

Click here for My Patient Education best buy on over the counter drugs!  

Click here to see ratings

Our Toll Free number for sales only  

1-877-812-0272 

ecommerce provided by Yahoo! Small Business

Top ServiceThe Yahoo Top Service Star next to a store's name is a sign of superlative quality. It means that the store is participating in our Customer Rating Program, and that customers who have ordered from that store have given it the highest ratings. Nearly all Yahoo! stores have good customer satisfaction ratings, but those with a star are the best of the best, with at least 95% positive ratings.

Detailing | Electronics | Garage Gadgets | Wheels | Garage Safety | Hot Rod Garage | Garage Sale | Grannys Garage | Truck Toys | Garage Gifts | ATV Trail Golf Cart Corner | Boat Slip | Motorcycle Shop | Sled Shed  | Free Classifieds | Healthy Garage | GT Product Lines | GT Catalog Store

Ratings | Price Quote | Email | GT Info | Search | Site Map

<script type=text/javascript>// Begin Y! Store Generated Code <script src="http://us.js2.yimg.com/us.js.yimg.com/ult/ylc_1.9.js" type=text/javascript><script src="http://us.js2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/lib/smbiz/store/csell/js/beacon-1.2.2.7.js" type=text/javascript><script type=text/javascript>// Begin Y! Store Generated Code csell_page_data = {}; csell_page_rec_data = []; ts='TOK_STORE_ID';<script type=text/javascript>// Begin Y! Store Generated Codefunction csell_GLOBAL_INIT_TAG() { var csell_token_map = {}; csell_token_map['TOK_ITEM_ID_LIST'] = 'hheslbag'; csell_token_map['TOK_BEACON_TYPE'] = 'prod'; csell_token_map['TOK_RAND_KEY'] = 't'; csell_token_map['TOK_SPACEID'] = '2022276099'; csell_token_map['TOK_IS_ORDERABLE'] = '1'; csell_token_map['TOK_STORE_ID'] = 'streamlinedistribution'; csell_token_map['TOK_URL'] = 'http://geo.yahoo.com'; csell_token_map['TOK_ORDER_HOST'] = 'order.store.yahoo.net'; c = csell_page_data; var t = csell_token_map; c['s'] = t['TOK_SPACEID']; c['url'] = t['TOK_URL']; c['si'] = t[ts]; c['ii'] = t['TOK_ITEM_ID_LIST']; c['bt'] = t['TOK_BEACON_TYPE']; c['rnd'] = t['TOK_RAND_KEY']; c['io'] = t['TOK_IS_ORDERABLE']; YStore.addItemUrl = 'http%s://'+t['TOK_ORDER_HOST']+'/ymix/MetaController.html?eventName.addEvent&cartDS.shoppingcart_ROW0_m_orderItemVector_ROW0_m_itemId=%s&cartDS.shoppingcart_ROW0_m_orderItemVector_ROW0_m_quantity=1&ysco_key_cs_item=1§ionId=ysco.cart&ysco_key_store_id='+t[ts]; } <script type=text/javascript>// Begin Y! Store Generated Codefunction csell_REC_VIEW_TAG() { var p = csell_page_data; var a = '/sid='+p['si']+'/io='+p['io']+'/ii='+p['ii']+'/bt='+p['bt']+'-view'; var r=Math.random(); YStore.CrossSellBeacon.renderBeaconWithRecData(p['url']+'/p/s='+p['s']+'/'+p['rnd']+'='+r+a); } <script type=text/javascript>// Begin Y! Store Generated Codevar csell_token_map = {}; csell_token_map['TOK_PAGE'] = 'p'; csell_token_map['TOK_WS_URL'] = 'http://streamlinedistribution.csell.store.yahoo.net/cs/recommend?itemids=hheslbag&location=p'; csell_token_map['TOK_SHOW_CS_RECS'] = 'true'; csell_token_map['TOK_CURR_SYM'] = '$'; var t = csell_token_map; csell_GLOBAL_INIT_TAG(); YStore.page = t['TOK_PAGE']; YStore.currencySymbol = t['TOK_CURR_SYM']; YStore.crossSellUrl = t['TOK_WS_URL']; YStore.showCSRecs = t['TOK_SHOW_CS_RECS'];<script src="http://us.js2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/lib/smbiz/store/csell/js/recs-1.1.2.28.js" type=text/javascript><script type=text/javascript><script language=javascript src="http://redirect1.vip.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/referadd?et=47aa205a&r=http://www.google.ca/search%3Fhl%3Den%26q%3Dbattery%2Boperated%2Bheated%2Bsleeping%2Bbag%26meta%3D&catalog=streamlinedistribution&v=2"><script language=javascript src="http://redirect1.vip.store.yahoo.net/cgi-bin/referadd?et=47aa205a&r=http://www.google.ca/search%3Fhl%3Den%26q%3Dbattery%2Boperated%2Bheated%2Bsleeping%2Bbag%26meta%3D&catalog=streamlinedistribution&v=3"><script language=javascript>if(window.yzq_p==null)document.write("");<script language=javascript src="http://l.yimg.com/us.js.yimg.com/lib/bc/bc_2.0.4.js"><script language=javascript>if(window.yzq_p)yzq_p('P=KbYotdG_QhxmJOEG._DY7ACdmgttHkeqHy4ABwTG&T=13m31o1rm%2fX%3d1202331438%2fE%3d23732888%2fR%3dst%2fK%3d5%2fV%3d1.1%2fW%3dJ%2fY%3dYAHOO%2fF%3d168296836%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3d1C42BFD1');if(window.yzq_s)yzq_s();<noscript>
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-02-06 5:55 PM (#76245 - in reply to #75856)

Expert

Has anyone invented a battery powered sleeping bag?
trailer/truck newbie
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-02-06 9:33 PM (#76267 - in reply to #75856)

Regular

Hi Gard,

I also saw a "patent pending" for a battery operated hair dryer (no kidding). With all these battery operated warming devices in place, camping should take on a new appeal to those of us who like our creature comforts....

Regards,

Jodie

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-02-06 10:09 PM (#76272 - in reply to #75856)

Expert

I should have bought stock in some battery companies instead of these left over hula hoops.

Gard

Angelmay84
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-02-07 1:15 AM (#76287 - in reply to #75856)

Veteran

That sleeping bag sure seems cool...er...warm.   Too bad it's 100 bucks!  I really love my furnace.  Open propane valve, turn thermostat to ON set temperature and enjoy the warmth.  Seriously though, I can remember some NASTY cold nights in the tent on an air mattress that went flat overnight.  I thought i was goin' to die for sure.  I could hear the coyotes howling outside, and that's when I decided it was time to upgrade from this tent business. 

Look at used LQ trailers.  A weekender package will do you fine.  Setting up all this crap can nickel and dime you to death.  It's simpler to just buy a LQ trailer that you can enjoy for years to come.  Just watch ebay and horse trailer world. You'll find one. I did.

Amanda

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-02-07 3:42 AM (#76294 - in reply to #75856)

Expert

If you really are talking primitive camping...then you need to get your training here...

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/mcmwtc.htm