propane/electric vs all electric
stablemom
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2008-01-23 11:16 AM (#75126)
Subject: propane/electric vs all electric

Veteran

Would like opinions on which yall like better. Am looking at a trailer that is all electric. The one I have now has both and I have enjoyed having both, but was just wondering if all electric is good as well.

Thanks!!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-01-23 11:22 AM (#75127 - in reply to #75126)
Subject: RE: propane/electric vs all electric

Elite Veteran

On another thread the advantage of a propane-powered hot water heater was brought up.  Propane hot water heaters heat more quickly initially and recover faster (for the 2nd shower, for example) than electric.

I like having the propane hot water heater and furnace in the event you don't get a power hookup.  I mostly show, but was at a show this year that didn't have nearly enough hookups and it sure would have been a PITA to have to run everything off a generator.  At least hot water and furnace can run without power.  I also take my trailer camping occassionally and there are no hookups.   So again, less need to run the generator with the propane option. 

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-01-23 11:37 AM (#75128 - in reply to #75126)

Expert

As Headhunter stated, when you are in an area without electricity and want hot water, propane is the way to go. With a bottle of gas and a battery you can be very comfortable. Obviously it's also a good source for cooking, heating and powering the refrigerator. The only things you won't have is air and a microwave. Being totally dependant on a cord or generator can  limit your travels.

BOL  Gard

reinergirl
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-01-23 12:51 PM (#75137 - in reply to #75126)

Regular

I ran into a situation a year ago when I drove from OH to NC and got there about 4:30AM only to find out that you had to have someone from the facility unlock the plugs! It was really cold and late and all I wanted to do was lay down and catch a few winks until the facilities people showed up at 7 AM. Since I didn't have a generator at the time, I was pleased to find out I could operate enough lights to get around and my propane furnace!!!! ;0>

I added a generator to my new trailer after that experience but it was nice to know that in a pinch I could at least stay warm and have some lights. So, after all the rambling, I would go with the propane furnace/hot water heater so that you are not completely dependent upon the ability to plug in.

headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-01-23 1:53 PM (#75143 - in reply to #75126)

Elite Veteran

Oh yeah, the dual power fridge is convenient too.  If you have all-electric, and are without AC power, you will have to use ice chests to store your food, you won't have the use of your fridge at all.  

There are opinions on both sides of this, but I go down the road with my fridge running on propane, especially long trips.  If I'm hauling to a show just a few hours away I'll chill down the fridge the night before and just plug in again when I arrive at the show grounds and my fridge is still cold.  For longer trips, if you load up your fridge before leaving home and don't have the option to run on propane, there is no way to keep your fridge cool. 

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-01-23 1:53 PM (#75144 - in reply to #75127)

Expert

headhunter, does the blower on the furnace run off the battery?  I may have to go out to the camper and fire it up to check.  It would be nice if it did. 

I like the gas for the frig, shower, furnace and stove/oven.  It's nice when your traveling to be able to stop when (rest area works fine) you want and pop something in the oven for lunch without having to fire up the generator.  It beats having to make up sandwiches or waste time looking for somewhere to eat with parking for that 35ft trailer behind you.

headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-01-23 2:00 PM (#75147 - in reply to #75144)

Elite Veteran

Yes, my furnace blower runs off the battery. 
stablemom
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2008-01-23 2:27 PM (#75150 - in reply to #75126)

Veteran

Yes I too have enjoyed the propane in our current trailer. Trying to downsize and found a good trailer at a good price but it is all electric. How hard would it be to change things over to propane/electric? I know that it would require fridge that is compatible to both. Also the water heater....sounds like it could be a major overhaul now that I think about it!! Maybe I will just keep looking! We do not have propane heat in ours now, in fact we just have a plug in heater but here in the south, that was not much of a problem.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-01-23 2:54 PM (#75154 - in reply to #75147)

Expert

Now I'm going to have to go outside and check mine.

Hey!  It works, thanks ya'll.  Now I'll know the next time we go out, I don't know if I'll be able to sleep with out the generator running though.  I kinda got used to it being background noise.

Edited by Terri 2008-01-24 11:35 AM
bechack
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-01-23 4:51 PM (#75157 - in reply to #75150)

Veteran

That would be why it is such a good deal.   Since I often, if not always park in the "middle of nowhere", I wouldn't have a trailer without propane.  I do have a generator, but just to keep my batteries charged up.  In fact, I wish new trailers had the old propane lights like some of my old campers did.  They were great in the winter. 

I just spent 8 days in Death Valley (end of Dec.) and it was COLD.  Two bottles of propane lasted 2 of us all 8 days, HOT showers, Ran the Refrigerator, ran the furnace and kept it warm.  I still had propane when I got home.  

One 6 week long summer trip, propane for the frig and hot water and cooking would easily last 2 weeks/ bottle.

Dual batteries will run lights and furnace a full weekend pretty easily. 

Happy trails.