My experience buying an LQ Horsetrailer
willys acres
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-01-19 10:06 AM (#74806)
Subject: My experience buying an LQ Horsetrailer

New User

Hello Everyone,

My name is Markus. I'm new to this & just registered on the forum.

I would like to share my experience buying a horsetrailer:

This is my first horsetrailer for my 2 Trakheners who only joined our family in September '07. So the whole family is new to this & everyone is still adjusting. I quickly realized that there was an urgent need for a trailer within the first week of having the horses at home. My criteria for the trailer was a sizeable LQ with toilet & shower, made out of aluminum because we live in Canada & steel does not hold up too well to salt & snow. And enough room in the back to put 2 horses in or a WW2 jeep. So for size it would have to be at least a 4 horse trailer with a collapsible rear tack, with removeable rear centre post at the door to allow enough room to get the jeep in. It would have to be 8 ft. wide as my 2 horses are warm bloods. So I started surfing the net looking for used horse trailers & I came across this site. For 2 month I studied horse trailers of different makes, shapes & sizes and this site was most helpful in this endeavor especially having such a huge selection with a wealth of information. I went on manufacturers sites to read on how they build their trailers. After much studying I decided that Sundowner would be the most fitting to what I was looking for. Early in December '07 a 1999 4 horse w. 12ft. factory LQ Sundowner became available in Virginia & was listed here in the for sale section. I called the dealer, Blue Ridge Trailer Sales, right away to get all the details. I spoke with Donna & we exchanged a few emails with lots of pictures from inside & out. Donna was very professional & honest. When I told her I am from Canada & I was seriously considering to take on the 13 hour drive to buy I wanted the trailer to be nothing less than what she described. We came to an agreement & I headed to Virginia with my '06 Diesel Dodge dually. When I got there I had a good look at the trailer. It was parked inside in their superb service facility & to my delight this trailer was even better than described. On top of that they replaced all the tires with new ones with the correct load rating for this trailer, repacked the bearings & adjusted the brakes. They did a complete service on the trailer, washed & detailed it inside & out & all that for US $ 24K. They had already arranged for a trip permit & had all the paperwork ready so I was all set to head back home. Everything was done in 1 1/2 hours time to my utmost satisfaction & I was on my way. The trailer pulled beautifully & the brakes worked fantastic. Went through the border blabla, paid my dues. Now it's home & I love it. So if you're looking for a trailer I highly recommend Blue Ridge Trailer Sales out of Ruckersville, VA & I hope you have the same great experience that I had. Make sure you do your homework & wait for the trailer you want to come up at your buget. It takes patience,good information & a site like this one.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-01-19 1:59 PM (#74822 - in reply to #74806)
Subject: RE: My experience buying an LQ Horsetrailer

Expert

Having a list of dealers who have made satisfied customers, certainly makes it easier on future buyers looking for their dreams. We all like to hear about the successful purchases, and hope that one day, ours will be one too. Welcome to the forum Markus, and thank you for relating your experience. I'm sure that more sales will occur because of your recommendation.

BOL  Gard

classygirl98
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-01-19 4:45 PM (#74834 - in reply to #74806)

Veteran

We purchased our lq last year from Durham Trailer Sales in Tx. We dealt with Eric, who really did a superb job of handling our sale. We were also very pleased with dealership overall. Everyone there was really helpful and knowledgeable. I would recommend them to anyone that is trailer shopping.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-01-19 7:35 PM (#74843 - in reply to #74806)

Expert

Once again I stand up for Jim's Motors in Cuba,MO.Exiss/Sooner/Bison dealer and also vehicle dealer.

They have just been the best guys to deal with ever.We had some minor things to be repaired on our Exiss plus some options we requested.Cuba is quiet a ways from where we live.So,they agreed a year later to meet us about half way,and sent Mr.John both to pick it up,and deliver it.Delivered it to us the Sunday before Christmas,too.And when we bought it,Mr.John delivered it to us at the same meeting point.

They are terrific guys and they stand behind what they sell,and their word is true.THey sure have my vote!