4 Horse or Hay Rack
cdmaeng1
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-01-19 9:43 AM (#74801)
Subject: 4 Horse or Hay Rack

I finally have 3 horses to compete on, but only have a 3 horse trailer.  When I only had 2 horses we would use the 3rd stall for hay and stuff.  I don't have a hay rack, so my dilemma is to either add a hay rack or buy a bigger trailer for lots more bucks.

I have had people tell me that when they load their hay racks they can really tell a difference with how the trailer pulls. For those of you who have hay racks, do you see a big difference loaded and unloaded with hay?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-01-19 1:21 PM (#74817 - in reply to #74801)
Subject: RE: 4 Horse or Hay Rack

Expert

We have a three horse trailer with a hay rack. When it is loaded with several bales, it does not cause any handling problems or change the "feel" of the trailer while being pulled. It is noisier however and affects my mileage by about one mpg. The hay is difficult to keep dry when its raining, we use a tarp, many people use the large duffle type of bags.

A dumb question, but can't you use your truck bed? I can no longer load the hay on the roof and we don't have one of the portable cranes commonly used for that purpose. By rearranging some of the lighter bulkier items on the roof, we can carry the hay in the truck, a much easier proposition.

BOL  Gard

acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2008-01-20 8:26 AM (#74859 - in reply to #74801)

Extreme Veteran

I'd get the 4 horse and use the extra stall for hay storage. Not that I've ever had a hay rack so can't answer from that perspective but I've always traveled using the bed of the truck w/ hay in bags and the extra stall for storing hay and everything else. seems like it would be easier than lifting hay up on top of the trailer.
cutter4life
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2008-01-20 9:19 AM (#74860 - in reply to #74801)

Regular

I considered a hay rack. Then I thought about getting the hay up there and down from there and it seemed like alot of work for not that much storage. I figured the best thing to put up there would be a water caddy, but again...difficult to access.

If you get a larger trailer you can always haul an extra horse from time to time and if it has a full floor stud divider, you could load it up pretty well with hay and have the assurance that all that weight is sitting directly over the floorboards.

I would think the cost of a really nice hay rack with installation ($1,200-1,500?) would be close to the difference of an additional stall on a new to you trailer.

We have found when traveling long distance to shows it is nearly impossible to bring enough hay for all the horses in the trailer, so prior to leaving we switch them over to a pelleted all in one feed that is available nation wide, that way they can munch on some hay from home, but the primary feed source becomes the pelleted feed. That way your not dealing with too many variables from hay suppliers in different parts of the country. Just my .02c!

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-01-20 1:02 PM (#74868 - in reply to #74801)

Expert

Another consideration concerning the purchase of a larger trailer is the pulling/weight capacity of your truck. Do you have enough reserve capabilities to handle the additional weight? Would you be comfortable pulling a longer trailer? There are many issues to consider beside the actual cost to change equipment.

BOL  Gard

olabola!
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-01-20 1:05 PM (#74869 - in reply to #74801)

We haven't done it yet, but when you put hay in the extra stall, how do you secure it so it doesn't move around?
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-01-20 1:17 PM (#74872 - in reply to #74801)

Expert

Just stack it as usual. It doesn't go anywhere
happyrider929
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2008-01-20 3:23 PM (#74882 - in reply to #74801)

Regular

I have a 3 horse, and normally only carry two horses. I purchased the 3 horse so I could stack hay and such in the front stall. I have a stud divider to separate the stuff in the front stall from the horses. I much prefer this set up, versus a hay rack, because it is much easier to load, it stays dry, it is easier to access, and stuff doesn't have to be strapped down. Just load and go. At my destination, if I am able to park the trailer near the stabling, I just work out of the trailer, and don't have to worry about my hay and such getting wet, as I just open the escape door and grab what I need from that first stall.
Mandi/Abby
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-01-22 6:48 PM (#75087 - in reply to #74817)

Charter Member

Originally written by gard on 2008-01-19 1:21 PM

We have a three horse trailer with a hay rack. When it is loaded with several bales, it does not cause any handling problems or change the "feel" of the trailer while being pulled. It is noisier however and affects my mileage by about one mpg. The hay is difficult to keep dry when its raining, we use a tarp, many people use the large duffle type of bags.

A dumb question, but can't you use your truck bed? I can no longer load the hay on the roof and we don't have one of the portable cranes commonly used for that purpose. By rearranging some of the lighter bulkier items on the roof, we can carry the hay in the truck, a much easier proposition.

BOL  Gard

I would go with the extra horse stall. The price really isn't that much higher and if your trailer is in good enough shape, you should get good trade value on it.

I agree about getting the hay on the roof. Unless you go with a hayPOD, you will have to deal with the weather too. My trailer came with a hay rack, but I am planning alternative uses for it because there is NO WAY I can get hay up there and really don't even like climbing the ladder anymore than I have to (did that for the first time today and it's NARROW).