Double Cabin Campground? Absaroka MT in WY
j&j
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2008-01-18 3:30 PM (#74735)
Subject: Double Cabin Campground? Absaroka MT in WY

Veteran

Has anyone ridden/camped at Double Cabin Campground in the Absaroka Mountain range near Dubois, WY? Planning a trip out there in July. I am wondering what the trails are like and how much riding is there?

j&j
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-01-18 4:05 PM (#74739 - in reply to #74735)
Subject: RE: Double Cabin Campground? Absaroka MT in WY

I found this by doing a brief search. This sounds like places in WY and CO where we were last year. Water is a hand pump for which upper body strength is necessary. Little to no maintenance of the camp area. Seems to be the norm in the federal areas (notable exception is Cedar Lake OK). However, I would not have made it in pioneer days, so for those who like primitive camping, it is probably quite good.

Double Cabin campground is in a forest of Lodgepole pine and spruce with views of surrounding mountains.

Best Sites: Most sites have views of the surrounding mountains.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Information:

Last updated: Nov. 2006 Phone: 307-455-2466
Season**: Mid Jun - Labor Day Reservations: Not available
Elevation: 9,300 feet Toilets: Vault
Sites: 15 RV and tent *** Hot showers: No
RV-hook ups: No Water spigot/pump: Yes
RV-pull thrus: Yes (several) Recreation: Fishing and hiking
RV-waste station: *See note below.
RV-pot. water station: No
RV- parking spur: Medium 1 *~

*No facilities located on campground; but there may be nearby. Contact campground personnel at above number.

** Campground season often depends on the weather and other factors; call campground at above number to confirm exact opening and closing dates.

*** There are both RV and tent sites at this campground. Some of the sites may be for tents only and some may be for RVs only and some may allow both an RV and/or a tent.

*~ Accurate and consistent information on recommended RV parking spurs is challenging to come by. Recommended RV lengths for this campground should fall within one of the ranges listed below. Call campground personnel for more precise recommendations.
Small = less than 35’ feet in length
Medium = 35’ – 44’
Large = 45’ – 55’
Extra Large = greater than 55’

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Read the terms, conditions and disclaimers of Camping With A View.

CJ_Nebraska
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2008-01-23 9:47 PM (#75185 - in reply to #74735)

We've gone up in June a few times.  Some of the loops we rode would take around 8 hours.  There were also trails we turned around and came back on that took just as long.  Not sure how long it would take to follow those or where you would end up.  Each trail had spots that had me nervous enough to get down and lead my horse.  Might be due to being flat-landers or could have to do with riding a clumsy horse.  If you chose to turn around and ride back the way you came you can avoid some of those areas.

The scenery is awesome and you can spot bear, wolves, elk, deer, and moose.  There tends to be at least one moose that hangs out in the willows along the river where you would be crossing to pick up the trails.  We've been told we should be back on the camp side of the river by 3 as that's when the snow melt has brought up the river level and increased the flow enough to make crossing difficult.

The road in can be quite a journey.  There are a couple areas of switchbacks with fairly steep grades and loose rock.  I felt comfortable pulling a 22' box gooseneck but not sure I would have with anything larger.  We had rain and snow in mid-June and wouldn't recommend driving until the roads are dry.

There are some corrals near the river but we used a portable hot wire corral so the horses would have more room and be able to graze.  The friends we rode with used highlines at night as moose didn't respect or couldn't see their hot wire.

If I can answer any other questions or there are pics you'd like me to share of the Double Cabin area let me know. 

bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2008-01-23 10:09 PM (#75186 - in reply to #75185)

Extreme Veteran

CJ, we appreciate your info. We are one of 3+ couples making the trip. I recently found the topo maps online along with lon/lat info. I've found a method of mapping the trails thru acme map and pedometer and exporting these files so I can import them into my GPS as trails. I also found a way of estimating the distance and time of each trail. What I've found, so far, there are a lot of trails both near and far. Google earth indicates we should have some neat scenery.

The camping along the river and south of the pens. Are there spots down there right next to the river with shade? It looks like there are spots right on the river.

How deep does that river get? When I asked the Ranger about that, he said, by the time we get there, the first of July, most of the snow melting and rising shouldn't be a problem.

Did you make the ride to Twilight Falls? That looks like and awesome ride. I couldn't find a trail right up to the falls. Is there one?

The ride to Bear Basin also looks like an exception ride.
classygirl98
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-01-24 12:18 AM (#75192 - in reply to #74735)

Veteran

Cj, would you please share some pictures if you don't mind. We are part of the group that is going with Bob. Debbie
CJ_Nebraska
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2008-01-24 7:14 PM (#75244 - in reply to #74735)

I created an album on here with a few pics.  If I did that right feel free to request other pics.  Didn't have pics of the corrals on this computer.

The camping area along the river with the corrals doesn't have shade trees.  There is shade from pines in the campground area and along the base of the mountains.  The corrals are out in the open.  The willow bushes are tall enough to hide moose, so there's shade from them for lawn chairs, etc.  Not sure how warm it would be in July, but in June I didn't feel a need to find shade.  I would ride in a t-shirt and by sunset have a winter coat on.   

When we rode out in the morning the river would be ankle to knee deep on the horses.  If we came back late afternoon there were spots it was up to their bellies.  I was more concerned with the current and rocks causing one to go down.  The dogs would end up quite a ways down stream by the time they swam to the other side.  I imagine the ranger is right that it wouldn't be an issue by July.  This past year we went the third week of June instead of the second and the river seemed lower. 

I'm not sure which trails we were on.  One did lead to a waterfall in the petrified forest area.  Seems we blazed our own trail to get that far.  One that does stand out was Bug Creek.  Most of that trail was switchbacks through the trees up to a cow camp with a small cabin and spring.  On the way back you have to cross the river and then follow a narrow trail up what seems like a vertical wall to us flat-landers.

Be prepared for a lot of fallen timber you will have to go around or over. 

I think the drive from Dubois to Double Cabin is around 20 miles, but it would take us around an hour to haul in.  Again, I would avoid driving on it when it's wet.  I would advise getting there early enough to still have daylight to haul in and set up camp.  Heading out from south central Nebraska on I80 to Rawlins, then Muddy Gap, Lander, Dubois and on to Double Cabin took around 14 hours.  Going there we drove as far as Sidney after work and stayed over at Cabelas.  They have corrals on the west side of the store.  I slept in the trailer next to them.  They have a hydrant right there and a place to dump shavings, etc.

Curious about your plans.  How many days will you be riding there?  Is everyone in the group experienced with mountain riding?  Do you know the route you're taking?  If you're avoiding I80 and driving in from the northeast part of Wyoming there are a couple of stop over places - Halsey Forest and Fort Robinson if you cut across Nebraska.     

Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-01-24 8:56 PM (#75248 - in reply to #74735)

Extreme Veteran

CJ - thanks for your info and insight. We are coming from MO and will be on I-80. We're looking for layover in NE along the way. We are all experienced mountain riders and Ranger in age from the early 40s to early 70s. I am the eldest. We plan to be there for two weeks.

We have ridden in Wyoming, in the Big Horn and the Wind River basin; in Colorado and some have been in Montana.

We'd love to see more of your pictures.

Thanks

Ron

Edited by Cloud9 2008-01-24 8:58 PM
classygirl98
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-01-24 9:43 PM (#75252 - in reply to #74735)

Veteran

Cj, would also mind to tell us where you bought your certified hay? Last we year we bought it in Pinedale but that would be way out of our way this year. Hoping to pick up closer to Dubois. Thanks, Debbie
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-01-24 9:50 PM (#75253 - in reply to #75248)

Expert

I stopped over one night in Sidney NE.  There was a Motel just off the west exit to Sidney that has corrals. I don't remember how many pens. I think maybe 4.

Also the County Fairgrounds in Laramie WY have LOTS of stalls.  If there is not a rodeo or fair in town, There would be lots of available stalls.

I think they were $10 a night per stall.

bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2008-01-25 10:42 AM (#75278 - in reply to #74735)

Extreme Veteran

We appreciate all of the info we can get. We'll be arriving on Sat 6/28 and staying for 2 weeks.

We have most of the fairgrounds and locations like Cabelos already in our notes. This will be our fifth trip via most of this route. I would like to have the phone number(or name) of that Motel in Sidney that has the corrals, that's one I didn't know about. We plan on staying overnight at a particular site, but you never know when you may get delayed and need to make last minute changes. It's nice to have alternates available.

Every time we ride a new location we try to get as much trail info as possible. We like to be able to ride from camp on differing trails nearly everyday. Double Cabin seems to have an abundance of trails. I'm finding it interesting that there are trails shown on some of the online topo maps that are not on the quadrant maps thru the USGS, and vise versa. It is also interesting that there are trails on the downloadable USGS maps that are not on the hard copy, and vise versa. Not sure what to make of that. We also have some non charted trails from some hikers that have hiked the area.

Last year we made a half way attempt at plotting trails on our GPS. This year we're trying to make that a more viable undertaking. It helps that we've found online topos with longitude/latitude info that are exportable as a trail to our GPSs. We're also trying to make estimated travel times via the distance/elevation data available on the web. It'll be interesting to see how that works out. We like to make loop rides and that makes estimating trail times rather important. We've never been caught by darknes(well almost never) and needed to spend a night on the trail. Would like to keep it that way. I said almost never, because we did come in one night from a ride on the center mtn of the Tetons in the moon light. It was 11:00 pm that night before we got back to the trailhead. And that was because of a looped ride that was very slow going on the return side of the loop. At that time we didn't have a GPS or any topo maps to view. Just the Forest Service map. I see a lot of potential looped rides out of Double Cabin, but I also see a lot of varying terrain that could create some late evenings if we are not careful.

Those of you that have ridden these trails. Are the trails relatively clear of large rocks, etc. There are always some, but what is the general condition of the trails in this area. Are the trails cleared by the Forest Service(either themself, or contractors) on a regular basis? Are there trail markers? Yes, we expect down fall, that is normal.. We care saws and axes just in case we can not get around down fall. Been there, done that, without anything to cut your way. That was no fun, and could be dangerous.
CJ_Nebraska
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2008-01-25 7:55 PM (#75296 - in reply to #74735)

We've only used the corrals at the Sidney Cabelas when we've taken the I80 route.  That's on the north side of the interstate exit.  There is a hotel on the south side as was mentioned that does have some corrals out back.  I can get the name/phone # from a friend that goes there each week.  The Kearney Cabelas has two corrals if something should happen to delay you. 

We didn't purchase certified hay.  We used certified Nebraska hay at Sidney.  At Double Cabin we let them graze in a hot wire pen that we moved daily and supplemented with grain and alfalfa cubes. 

Sounds like you're all seasoned veterans at mountain riding.  Each time I go I feel like a newbie.  On the drive home I think how lucky I was to have survived and not tumbled down the mountainside.  There's one thought that I'm sure you'll share with me.  You think about how awesome it is to be riding in an area that very few people will ever get to experience.

We've only stayed for a week but in that time we've taken different trails.  Some start off the same before branching, but the majority is different scenery.  We've also made our own trails on occasion.  I'd be interested in where you find the topo and quadrant maps to see if I could tell where we've been.  We had the luxury of riding with a guy that lives in Lander and spends his summers there so he knows the trails and (unfortunately) fears none of them.  Never bothered with GPS since we could rely on him or find a high spot to look down and find landmarks.  This past year we ran into some NOLS students on a trail.  That may be another source of information on the area and trails.   

Will be curious to see how your time estimates work out.  Where was your Teton ride in relation to Jackson Hole and Yellowstone?  I've hiked Jenny Lake and saw there are horse trails there.  Not  sure what to say about the trails as difficulty and obstacles are somewhat subjective.  Each trail we rode on had some obstacles.  There are ascents/descents with loose rock or solid rock faces.  Water crossings generally weren't a big deal.  We ran into a lot of downed trees.  Usually they were small enough to step over or in an area you could pick your way around the larger ones.  I didn't get the impression the Forest Service makes any effort to clear them.  There was evidence other riders cut through smaller trees that had lodged high enough they couldn't be stepped over.  Seems there were trail markers at intersections and spotty on the trails but the path was pretty easy to see.

Never carried a saw or axe on the trail but did buy a folding saw to take next year.  Doubt I'd spend much time cutting through a tree.  Figure I'd cut off the sharp places so the horses could jump it and not worry about getting cut.  One year riding at Fort Rob a wind storm knocked down a lot of dead trees from a previous fire.  A bulldozer had been used to clear a trail going uphill but it was a weekend so it had been parked part way up and left there.  A few of us would get off the horses, sit on the ground and use our legs to push the fallen trees over the edge.  It worked well and allowed us to continue our ride.  Always wonder what the guy running the bulldozer thought when he came back out and found the rest of the trail had already been cleared.

I'll try and post some more pics.  Wish there was an easy way to attach large ones to messages.  Not that pics do it justice.  I think you'll enjoy your time there.  

Edited by CJ_Nebraska 2008-01-25 9:04 PM
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2008-01-25 9:58 PM (#75303 - in reply to #74735)

Extreme Veteran

Quadrant maps are available at:
http://store.usgs.gov/locator/

Once there enter Dubois, WY in the search box then move the map so it is centered on Double Cabin campground. Then click the box that will make a red pointer appear on the map. Then click the red pointer and you can download the quadrant map directly. I've not been able to get the ordering to work from here, but you can get the map number from here then go to the store and order the maps.

For online maps that show longitude and latitude I use:

http://mapper.acme.com/

Once there select the Topo button in the upper right hand corner, then in the box at the bottom right in the box to the left of "find" enter the longitude and latitude of Double camp it is:
43.8044690, -109.557244
paste these in just as they are shown on the line above.
When zooming in, notice some zooms give you more trails than other. That's a little strange, but so far this the only one I've found that let's you use long/lat. Once you mark a trail you can email yourself the trail and that will give you the longitude and latitude of each marker.

You can use pedometer to create a route with distance and elevations. Here is a link for Double cabin with just two markers.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1577613

When we rode the Tetons we camped at a KOA at Moran. They set up a couple of round pens for us and we trailered to the trailheads on the Tetons. We rode trails on all three of the mountains. Yes, we rode the trails around Jenny lake. Hurricane pass is one I remember well, we met several campers with bear problems. By the way, if you want to see lots of griz, ride the Tetons in mid Aug when the huckleberries are ripe. You ride right thru their dinner table. We had a lot of close encounters with griz on that trip.

We had one encounter with a large griz. He wasn't 10 ft away when we first saw him. In anticipation of such an encounter, we asked the locals what you do with a close encounter of this type. Now this is a solo bear, and not one with cubs. Those with cubs you handle differently. And we have had the momma with cubs episodes also.
The locals said if this happens you have to be the aggressor. The hair is still up on the back of my neck, and I'm thinking be the aggressor, ok, nothing else I can think of right now. Remember I'm on a 16.3 hd horse and this bear is bigger than we are. So, I turn his head toward the bear and ask him to take a couple of steps toward the bear, and I can just hear him thinking "are you sure you want to do this?" He takes the steps toward the griz and the bear gets down and walks up the mountain. Now who trained who here.
And that is not the end of this story.

We go a short distance down the trail and come up a solo hiker. No gun, no maze, no nothing except he is white as a sheet, and I'm sure he needs his diaper changed. As it turns out there were two bears at that location, one on each side of the trail. He said he was sure he was done for. He got down on all fours crawled a short distance, took a picture and headed down the trail.

We had not gone very far and Sharon said he is trying to catch us. Sure enough he is running full bore down the trail to catch us. And he says " I'm not going to let the cavalry out of my sight until we get off of this mountain"

The End, And this is a true story, almost sounds like a fair tale when you re-read it.

Edited by bbsmfg3 2008-01-25 10:12 PM
CJ_Nebraska
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2008-01-30 10:23 PM (#75680 - in reply to #74735)

Added more pics to the album.  A couple show the corrals and surrounding area near the river.  One pic is of a waterfall - not sure if it's the one previously mentioned or not.  In the upper left of that shot there is a petrified tree stump. 

Haven't run into grizzly on horseback.  Grateful for that.  Doubt my paint would handle it well.  He will chase deer and dogs.  Will stand and watch moose, but is terrified of elk.  Hard to say what he would think of a bear.

I checked out those map/GPS links.  Pretty cool.  I have a GPS I take along each year, but never used it.  Should have marked the interesting spots with it and put them on the map.  Maybe in '08.

bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2008-01-31 6:36 AM (#75690 - in reply to #74735)

Extreme Veteran

I do believe this will be one of our better trips west. The more I see the better it gets.

CJ, was the water falls in the album, SW of camp, perhaps Twilight Falls.

Yes, I hope the exporting trails from online sites to the GPS helps. I'll also be very interested to see how close our time estimates are, especially with all the "kodak moments" I see here.

Please add more pictures. We really enjoy them.
CJ_Nebraska
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2008-01-31 8:51 PM (#75783 - in reply to #75690)

Hard to beat the area around Moran Junction, Jenny Lake and the Tetons, but I think you'll find this area comparable and special in its own way.

If my directions are right, that waterfall would be northwest of where the camping is.  Seems you would be riding towards Yellowstone to get there anyways.  There's a sign that lets you know you're headed towards the petrified forest.  I should have paid more attention to which trails were which.

If we make it back in '08, I will take along the GPS and mark the coordinates of things I find interesting so I can pass those along.  I would guess estimates on certain trails will be off quite a bit due to picking your way through all the downed timber.  My paint had a good time jumping them or stepping over with the front feet and then jumping with the back ones like a mule.  Some of the best Kodak moments were not captured as I was too concerned with the drop offs to get the camera out.

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-02-02 9:47 AM (#75875 - in reply to #74735)

Expert

Another place to consider if some of your group doesn't have a LQ in the trailer, or you just want a night or two in a real bed.

www.alpinelakesandtrails.com

They rent out a small ranch.  You get a 3500 sf cabin, 10 beds, Kitchen, Hot showers etc Along with horse pasture for your horses.

It is in Dubois Wyoming and a short drive from lots of trail heads.

bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2008-02-02 10:31 AM (#75876 - in reply to #75875)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by Painted Horse on 2008-02-02 9:47 AM

www.alpinelakesandtrails.com

I just went to their site. "We're sorry, but the 2008 season has been booked.
Please check back for the 2009 season!" must be a popular spot.