Calling all Texans
nanny
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-01-04 6:19 PM (#73770)
Subject: Calling all Texans

Regular

We recently were offered a beautiful property in Texas, in the
Tioga area. Being from the west coast, we know nothing about Texas.
In doing research, I have discovered that the property taxes are quite
high. They also seem to have taxes on just about everything, personal
property (which includes everything you own.) I also heard they have
tornados in this area. What about mosquitoes. This property is close to
Lake Ray Roberts. What are the fees on horse trailers, trucks, autos and
flatbeds. Any of you Texans that could give me this info would be greatly
appreciated. I hear the weather is nice year 'round. Do they tax your
horses also? Thanks again.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Texas Butch
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-01-04 8:03 PM (#73774 - in reply to #73770)
Subject: RE: Calling all Texans

Veteran

nanny
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-01-04 8:21 PM (#73776 - in reply to #73774)

Regular

Texas Butch, I see where you signed in, but I don't see a reply......oops!

Texas Butch
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-01-04 8:22 PM (#73777 - in reply to #73770)

Veteran

I'll try this again.  Property taxes can be high if you can't get an Ag Exemption.    Where I currently live on 12 acres with no exemption, I pay almost $5,500 per year on a property appraisal of about $250K.  I also own 22.5 acres (raw land- appraisal of $70K) that is Ag exempt and pay just $61 per year.   Only other taxes I pay are $50 - $80  for each vehicle each year.  You also have to pay about $40 for an inspection fee each year per vehicle.  I have a permanent tag on my LQ trailer that I bought in Oklahoma so pay no fee for it.  My new BP trailer is around $30 (value of $12K).  Keep in mind that one thing that Texas doesn't have that some states do is a state income tax. 

Hope this helps.

nanny
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-01-04 8:31 PM (#73778 - in reply to #73777)

Regular

Thanks. The property tax on this property is $2955, with an assessed value of 400,000, with an ag exempt.  Why do they inspect vehicles yearly? Never heard of that one  Are you familiar with Lake Ray Roberts?  What about tornados and mosquitoes? Thanks again. Are you taxed on personal property? someone suggested that.

arabmagic
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-01-04 9:13 PM (#73780 - in reply to #73778)

New User

Property taxes will vary widely depending on where you are.  When we were shopping around for a few acres for horses (less than $200k), we found taxes anywhere from $600/year to $5,000/year depending on the county. 

I'm not familiar with the ag exemption and what needs to be done to maintain that status, but it may be something you want to check into.

I found yearly automobile taxes to be wonderful having moved here from South Carolina.  There you could easily pay $600-$1000+ per year in taxes and I just paid my taxes in Texas..... $64.

There is a 8.25% sales tax where I am, but I think it's great that the state has no income taxes.  That was a bonus for us when we moved.

Also coming from a VERY humid southeastern state that had TONS of mosquitoes, I have found Texas to be very mild.  We had a bad month or two of mosquitoes this year because of all of the rain.... but in general I would say it's not bad at all.  Then again it depends on what you're used to?  The mosquitoes can get pretty bad in those South Carolina swamps!

As for tornadoes.... I hate 'em!  And yes, we do have them here more than some other places.  But I've lived here 4 years and it hasn't been an issue for me.  I just keep an eye on the weather channel & news when we have bad storms.  We had hurricanes on the east coast & I can't really say if I prefer one or the other.... in the end it seems every state has something!

I've never been to Lake Ray Roberts, but I have heard a lot of good things about it, as well as that area up there.  In fact I wouldn't mind moving that way myself one day (right now I'm south of Fort Worth).

Edited by arabmagic 2008-01-04 9:43 PM
Texas Butch
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-01-04 9:33 PM (#73781 - in reply to #73770)

Veteran

Sorry, guess I did not answer all your original questions. 

Annual inspections are a state law - helps to keep unsafe vehicles off the road such as no headlights, blinkers, brakes and polluted mufflers. 

Lake Ray Roberts is a really nice area.  Lots of high scale horse ranches in that area (Pilot Pont, Aubrey, Celina).  There are also some nice horse trails at Lake Ray Roberts plus LBJ Grasslands is not very far from there.

Mosquitos can be bad depending on the rainfall in the Spring/Summer.  This last year was the worse we had had in several years due to all the rain we recieved.  Just need to use a little OFF and that will usually keep them off you.  I usually only noticed them late in the day - after 7.   If it's fairly dry and it usually is during the Summer, then I hardly ever notice any mosquitos.  I would think they would be just as bad or worse in Oregon with all the rainfall there.

Not sure what to say about tornados except they do occur from time to time and you just never know when/where.  Maybe someone else can give you some stats about how numerous they are in North Texas compared to other areas of the country.  Seems like they have more in Oklahoma than here.   However, I would not let something like that affect your decision because the chance of a tornado hitting your place is still very small.

Texas Butch
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-01-04 9:40 PM (#73782 - in reply to #73770)

Veteran

Also, I know of no other personal property taxes than what I already mentioned.
notfromtexas
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-01-05 8:25 AM (#73791 - in reply to #73770)

Veteran

Tornadoes?  Sure, Texas has them.  But didn't Oregon just have a killer "hurricane" of sorts?  So no matter where you live you are gonna have bad weather, or earthquakes, or mudslides, etc.  I moved to Texas from Ohio and I love it.  I haven't found the taxes to be any worse here, just different...like no state tax but a higher sales tax.  Come for a visit and see if you like the people, area, etc.  I would imagine that the hardest part,coming from Oregon, would be the summer heat.  If you don't mind that come on down!
nanny
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-01-05 8:55 AM (#73793 - in reply to #73770)

Regular

Thanks to everyone for your help.
Gives me some idea on my decision making.
I'm not aware of any hurricanes in Oregon. I missed that one.
I do know that I love not having a sales tax and low property
taxes on our farm. Also, we license our vehicles every two years
for $54.
But, like you say, there is good and bad everywhere. We love Oregon,
however the winters are very long and rainy. It really cuts into
your trail time.
Thanks again.
Dawnya
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-01-05 4:22 PM (#73813 - in reply to #73793)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by nanny on 2008-01-05 8:55 AM

Thanks to everyone for your help. Gives me some idea on my decision making. I'm not aware of any hurricanes in Oregon. I missed that one. I do know that I love not having a sales tax and low property taxes on our farm. Also, we license our vehicles every two years for $54. But, like you say, there is good and bad everywhere. We love Oregon, however the winters are very long and rainy. It really cuts into your trail time. Thanks again.

We do have mosquitos but not as bad as other states.

We do have tornadoes, more than other states.  Along with hail and damaging wind.

We *might* have a day or two of ice but we also have a few months of 100*+

As far as taxes go, I've lived here all my adult life so I can't really compare it to other states.

I LOVE it here.  Come on down!

hackney
Reg. Dec 2007
Posted 2008-01-05 10:00 PM (#73838 - in reply to #73770)

New User

Don't sweat the property tax, it's minimal compared to most states. I live in Kansas now and $1,000.00 or more per year on our trucks and trailers in taxes. I want to move back south but my wife says it gets too hot there. I'll get her converted yet!

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-01-06 12:39 AM (#73848 - in reply to #73770)

Expert

Before we left  S.Tx last year we paid $65 for the truck, $50 for the car, $6 (yes six) on the horse trailer and $130 on our camper for tags.  Inspections were $30 a year for the car/truck.

We had 10 acres (appraised at $88,000) and paid $431 a year for the house and 1/2 and acre and $10 for the other 9 1/2 acres with the ag discount.  Of course the county we were in had VERY inexpensive land.  Up north it's not so cheap.

notfromtexas
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-01-06 8:51 AM (#73858 - in reply to #73770)

Veteran

I was referring to the post "
^ Top

SLICKRNSNOT

Elite Veteran

for the "hurrcane" reference.  Maybe your part of Oregon wasn't affected?

Subject : Thank God for LQ trailers, when 130 mph winds blow
nanny
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-01-06 1:35 PM (#73873 - in reply to #73770)

Regular

Oh, yeah, I remember that post.
I believe that was in the Portland area.

Mandi/Abby
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-01-06 3:20 PM (#73878 - in reply to #73770)

Charter Member

Property taxes vary depending on the county. You may want to find out what county it is in and do some sort of google search to see what you can find. Some counties' tax info is available online.

Tornadoes - also depend on the area. I don't think they are as common as many people make them out to be. Thunderstorms with damaging winds are usually more common and still not a terrible problem unless you live in a cardboard box. LOL!!

Truck tags run around $90ish on my non-farm registered 2006 2500 Dodge Ram and I think $40ish for hubby's farm registered 1995 Chevy 2500. My horse trailer tags are MAYBE $10 (plain 4H steel trailer, no LQ). I'm not sure if the cost varies dependant on the trailer. Also not sure about flatbeds.

No taxes on the horses (at least not that I am aware of) and depending on your purpose, you can also get your horse supplies tax free, feed IS tax free. As for sales tax...you get used to it. It's really only on things considered non-essential (clothes, misc. stuff, electronics, etc). Food is tax free - except when dining out.

You DEFINITELY want to get your land ag exempt (I think you can do all except one acre where your house is...and I think there's something about "homesteading" that which reduces the cost).

longearsrule
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2008-01-06 6:36 PM (#73891 - in reply to #73770)

Extreme Veteran

I am in east Texas, mid way between Dallas and Houston. The taxes here aren't to bad, but I am real rural. People out of the Houston and Dallas area are moving to this area. Heard the other day a lot of people out of Florida are buying up land too. Truck tags same as others. One big plus is being able to ride most of the winter. I rode this weekend at Sam Rayburn lake and it was in the mid 70's today.
nanny
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-01-07 9:57 AM (#73920 - in reply to #73878)

Regular

thanks for all info
trailyaya
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-01-07 4:33 PM (#73947 - in reply to #73770)

We live about 20 minutes from Tioga.  We have friends who live near there -- in Pilot Point, Whitesboro, and Collinsville.

It's God's Horse Country with a host of gorgeous horse farms, breeding, performance, training, whatever you need, whatever discipline.  We are open to Olympics medalists, too.  You will have access to Big Mineral (Lake Texoma) for challenging/technical trails, several really nice state parks in southern Oklahoma, Lake Ray Roberts Greenbelt (when it reopens--closed currently due to erosion from the spring 07 rains), over 20,000 acres and fabulous trails at the LBJ National Grasslands, and a nice trail just north of Dallas.  Draw a circle around Tioga and within one hour you've got some nice choices for riding.

Tioga is easy driving distance to Dallas or Fort Worth -- we know several folks who commute from there.

As well, you will have access to great equine stores (feed, tack, etc.) -- say goodbye to online ordering.  And lots of equine professionals to care for your horses -- including trimmers,farriers, massage therapists, and chiropractors. 

Weather?  Well, it was 70 degrees yesterday and I rode 25 miles at the Grasslands.  Of course, there have been some January 6ths where we had ice!  It's Texas -- and so our winters can be mild with flashes of horrendous ice.  It is possible to ride year-round though. 

Beth

wendmil
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-01-07 6:31 PM (#73961 - in reply to #73770)

Veteran

Nanny,

Some of our counties seem to have rather high property taxes.  If you find an address that you're interested in, go to the County appraisal district for that address and check out what the taxes will be like.  Here are some:

For Dallas county (ugh, high taxes..)...   http://www.dallascad.org/

For Collin county (more high taxes)...   http://www.collincad.org/search.php

For Grayson county (where Tioga is)...   http://www.graysonappraisal.org/

I don't know if it's like this in other states, but I know in the county I live in here in Texas, horses DO NOT figure into the ag exemption!

All the "bad stuff" (mosquitoes, tornadoes, hot weather, etc)... well, you just learn to live with them. 

BTW, take a look at the Gainsville area... also beautiful horse properties.  Tyler area is beautiful, too.  And we have lots of lakes in the Central Texas areas (Joe Pool Lake, Possum Kingdom, Lake Ray Hubbard, Lake Tawakoni, Grapevine Lake, Lewisville Lake, etc).  Sorry, don't mean to sound like a travel agent. LOL

However, BEWARE of "Black Gumbo"!!!!  You may want to research your soils in the area you will buy.  Don't know if you have ever dealt with it.  We have areas here where there is a black clay type soil.  It is hard as concrete and cracks open when dry and when it's wet it is sticky as all get out!  If there was one thing I would look for in my next place it would be NOT to be in the "gumbo".

Edited by wendmil 2008-01-07 6:36 PM
nanny
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-01-07 6:33 PM (#73962 - in reply to #73770)

Regular

Thanks, Beth. I admit, it sounds wonderful, but I am nervous about the tornados. Our weather has been in the 40's for the past 3 weeks. And lots of rain. I've managed to ride in the arena a few times, but it is very cold. The area near Lake Ray Roberts is beautiful with lots of horse farms, which we certainly like. THe property has a barn but needs a few more outbuildings. The house is very nice. I guess we'll have to make a trip to Texas and check it out. Thanks, again for your input.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-01-08 11:52 AM (#74006 - in reply to #73961)

Expert

The county we were in included all live stock.  Horses, cows, goats, sheep.  Of course its all ranches down there so that may be why.  There aren't any large cities between San Antonio and Mc Allen.   Check with the county tax acessor and if horses don't count, check on how many cattle you'd need to qualify and if you get enough land raise a steer or to for your own table.
nanny
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-01-08 12:13 PM (#74013 - in reply to #73770)

Regular

Hi Terri
The property currently has an ag exempt, so I guess it qualified.
They do have horses. They also explained that you can get an
additional discount on your property taxes if you are 65 years of
age. I believe we have that in our state also.
This property is in Grayson county.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-01-08 12:24 PM (#74014 - in reply to #74013)

Expert

If the property already has the ag exempt then if you buy it you will need to go to the tax acessors office and fill out the paper work to keep it.  It was one page explaing what type of animals you have and how you plan to use the land.  We listed horses and a cow and for the use it was grazing.   If you don't then when the new title is filed with the county they will assume that you no longer want the exemption.

We don't qualify for the SR discount yet, but when we bought the place the people we bought it from did.  The taxes on the house were $65 and $5 on the other 9 1/2 acres.  Almost made me wish I was older.

cindydj
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-01-10 10:56 AM (#74158 - in reply to #73770)

Regular

I can tell you that area has some wonderful horse properties as many have mentioned. I have grown up in Texas and had two live in two other states and Texas will always be my favorite due to the people and the weather. Texans and very proud and friendly people. I love our weather although our summers can get hot, but our winters are great. I also hate the tornados but all you need is a storm shelter. You can have them placed in the ground or a safe room built on to your house. And Texas has many areas to trail ride at no charge along with several large trail rides at ranches throughout the year for a minimal fee....As long as you keep your ag exemption you will good. They are getting tough on them so just keep it and make sure you have livestock and you will be fine. Also, you might want to make a call to the tax office, many counties are reappraising property when it sold and raising the tax value to the "market price"...I am not sure how this is affected with an ag exemption...at 65 years old you get a disc and it is frozen.....make a trip to Texas and let us know what you think! That lake is beautiful we love it! Great Fishing!
nanny
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-01-10 12:18 PM (#74162 - in reply to #74158)

Regular

Cindy
Thanks for the post.
We will be making a trip to Texas in February to check out the various
areas. We have a cousin who lives in the Granbury area.
Trail riding in the winter is certainly appealing. Years ago when we
lived in California, we rode year round, and sure miss it.
We currently have a farm deferral on our property in Oregon, and it
sure saves on taxes. I agree, it is very important to keep it active.
Once you lose it, it is difficult, and time consuming, to get it back.
Thanks again for the info.

equiteacher
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2008-01-10 12:56 PM (#74163 - in reply to #73770)

Regular

Agree with what most everyone has said about Texas weather and taxes. Really want to emphasize what was said about BLACK GUMBO. It is great for growing crops but it sucks (and that is literal when wet) for livestock. When in February are you coming to visit?