Exiss
PacificBailey21
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2008-01-03 11:15 PM (#73730)
Subject: Exiss

I hear of a lot of people not liking the Exiss brand of trailer. Could you explain why?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2008-01-04 8:12 AM (#73740 - in reply to #73730)
Subject: RE: Exiss

Elite Veteran

There are a lot of folks who don't like any brand of trailer you mention. And there will be a lot of folks who love theirs! But to get good feedback (because Exiss is a large co with lots of products), you should ask a more detailed question about a particular year and model. And then ignore most of the comments from folks who don't own that year and model. Feedback on a 1998 Exiss Extreme won't apply to a 2004 Exiss Sport. But the 2007 Sport isn't anywhere close to the same trailer as a 2004 model because it had been upgraded by then. Asking a question as you did, invites worthless speculation and bashing with no real opportunity for gain. Just my opinion.
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-01-04 8:56 AM (#73743 - in reply to #73730)

Expert

Welcome to the forum...

Several of my friends have an Exiss trailer.  Some of them have had several Exiss trailers.   All of them have been well served by their Exiss.  Therein lies the problem...  There is a mega bunch of Exiss trailers.  Everywhere I go, I always see an Exiss.  The trailers have filled a large and popular price niche.

So .. If a mere .001 percent of Exiss owners are disgruntled, that's a lot of people willing to tell the world their tale of woe.   And there is always going to be some folks that are not to be satisfied. 

Last nite, in a public meeting I ran, there was a women that wasn't going to be satisfied ... till everyone there, laid on the floor and slit their throat on the alter of her discontent.

Choose the trailer and dealer based on your level of comfort.  Don't expect a lot of hand holding and minor smudge removal for a low price.  If you want the moon in a trailer, purchase a Blue Moon brand of trailer (Sorry ... insider joke reference)

rockinthetrails
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2008-01-04 9:27 AM (#73747 - in reply to #73730)

Horsey1 --- VERY WELL SAID.... I couldnt agree with you more!!!
RoperChick
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-01-04 9:28 AM (#73748 - in reply to #73730)

Veteran

I agree with Horsey1 and Hosspuller. 

We have a 2000 Exiss Event and have been very happy with it.  It has well over 50,000 miles on it and have found it to be a reliable well built trailer.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-01-04 9:57 AM (#73749 - in reply to #73730)

Expert

I totally agree with the responses you've been given to your question. Exiss has built a lot of trailers. Not all of them are perfect. If you own one of the competition, you will use any flaw to make your brand look better. Exiss is a target of scrutiny because they are so popular and widely known.

If you were to ask the same question of Sundowner owners, 4 Star or any other brand, you will have the same responses from their competitors. Not all of them are built perfectly, and not all dealers are the best.

When you buy a trailer, do your homework so that you know what to look for. There are some top brands I would not buy regardless of pricing. There is a lot of hype in trailer sales, only by comparing apples to apples can you determine which brand is the best for you. Price should NOT be your determining factor. There are expensive trailers that are no better than the middle priced brands. There are less expensive brands that are short lived and involve constant maintenance. They will cost you more in the long run because you undoubtedly will exchange it for another.

You are the one who will have to shop and determine which is the best for you. Most owners will tell you the good and bad points of their trailers. Anyone who doesn't own the brand of which you are interested, and who is critical of it, should be suspect in his answers.

Every thing I own is disliked by someone else, whether it be a trailer, horse, tractor etc. You figure out what is best for you and go with your convictions. You are the one spending your hard earned dollars trying to enrich your life. If you are happy, the rest of us can be jealous of you.

BOL  Gard

Longrider
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-01-04 11:34 AM (#73757 - in reply to #73730)

Extreme Veteran

Well spoken Gard.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-01-04 11:41 AM (#73758 - in reply to #73730)

Expert

I also believe that a trailer,be it an expensive well known brand or a lesser one,is only as good as the dealer from which it came.

We owned a well known brand popular among the roping crowd.The trailer itself was not the problem so much as it was the dealer that we'd purchased it from.

We wound up with an Exiss from Jim's Motors in Cuba,MO and I can't say enough about how great these guys are.They do more than just fufill their responsibility as the dealer,they really go the extra mile for their customers.

In checking out all of the nice trailers on the market,be sure you check out the dealer selling them too.

pleasure horse
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2008-01-04 5:51 PM (#73768 - in reply to #73730)

New User

This is awesome....finally a good thread. One thing about it there is no perfect trailer out there.12
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-01-04 7:41 PM (#73773 - in reply to #73768)

Expert

No,they're made by humans,so,they can't be perfect.I think being satisfied with your trailer/dealer/price is what comes close.
classygirl98
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-01-04 10:47 PM (#73784 - in reply to #73730)

Veteran

We trailer shopped from March til Sept. At first we knew exactly what we wanted on a trailer and what price we wanted to pay. We looked at lots of different brands, layouts, etc. We even made a 700 mile trip thinking we were 90% sure we were going to buy a trailer. That did not pan out. The trailer was not as well built as hubby thought it should be. So we headed home deciding that we wanted a particular brand and internet shopped until we found one. I spent every spare minute trailer shopping. If you find an Exiss you like, look it over, price it and if it what you want, buy it. You might want to make sure you are buying from a reputable dealer too,who will stand by what he sells. So many things to consider when buying a trailer. For us it was a big lifelong decision. Best thing is to not get in a hurry regardless of what brand you decide to buy.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-01-05 7:06 PM (#73821 - in reply to #73730)

Expert

We have currently a CM. a Sundowner, and an Exiss Event LQ.  We have been very pleased with the Exiss in all ways, and plan to keep it a very long time. We have had it and used it to haul mules to CO to go hunting with mules, and trail rides, and horse shows, just has worked extremely well. I would follow advice given above, look at many, learn about structure, and find what works for you, in your price range, for the way that you use it.  Enjoy the search, and good luck in your hunt for YOUR trailer!
ncsuacd
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-01-05 9:38 PM (#73833 - in reply to #73730)

Regular

Hate to be the dissenter here, but have had, and know folks who have had very bad issues with their Exiss trailers.

There was a huge amount of discussion on it ... do a search on www.chronicleforums.com

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-01-05 10:47 PM (#73840 - in reply to #73833)

Expert

Well I was going to try to refrain from doing it this time,but,since you brought it up in the manner you did and ruined an otherwise decent discussion,here goes.

I LOVE MY EXISS TRAILER AND WOULD BUY ANOTHER ONE.

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-01-06 8:28 AM (#73854 - in reply to #73730)

Expert

Ditto. I bought my Exiss used, it was in great shape and still is despite many miles. I'd buy another one.........
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-01-06 11:00 AM (#73860 - in reply to #73730)

Expert

I dare say, that for any trailer manufacturer to stay in business, it MUST produce more good products than those that are problematic. For a company that makes thousands of trailers to be successful, there must be more people satisfied with their purchases than those opposed.

A successful track record and a long history of high numbers of sales are good indicators of a quality product. These facts are much more important to me than the person who says "all brand xyz trailers are junk." That person's opinion has no more relevance than the last mess in which I just stepped.

If a complaint is made such as , "I own an xyz trailer and the door hinge has broken and the dealer can't fix it correctly." This has merit, and if this is a chronic condition among the trailers made by xyz corp, then a statement to that effect is pertinent.

Because you have a friend, whose uncle's great niece's trailer's, taillight burnt out, does not make every other trailer of that brand, a bad one.

When many satisfied owners are saying that they enjoy their trailers and have had little or no problems, a smart person would consider that a positive concenses has been established. It might be wise to listen to what is being said.

I've spoken in the generic, not to place blame on any one entity. For the record, I also own an Exiss. I consider myself an informed owner, one that researches the products in which he is interested. I am familiar with aluminum materials and construction. I own the two trailers I have, as a result of the thorough  comparison of various brands. I bought what I considered the best for my needs. I do not regret my decisions, and I have no plans on changing my present equipment for anything else.

Dismiss the naysayers and listen to the people who offer intelligent criticism. They are your best source of information.

BOL  Gard

RoperChick
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-01-06 11:48 AM (#73866 - in reply to #73730)

Veteran

Very well said Gard! :D
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-01-06 12:40 PM (#73870 - in reply to #73833)

Expert

Originally written by ncsuacd on 2008-01-05 8:38 PM

Hate to be the dissenter here, but have had, and know folks who have had very bad issues with their Exiss trailers.

There was a huge amount of discussion on it ... do a search on http://www.chronicleforums.com/

ncsuacd : What was the specific issue/s with your trailer?

As one of the participants in a lengthy Exiss discussion on HTW, I have an addendum to the "horse broke the roof"  thread...

(Disclosure: I own a Sundowner, bought mainly for a good price.)

While the Exiss has some roof vent construction differences between the Sundowner, I think the main problem was a combination of events that allowed the horse to damage the trailer.  "If but..." for any one of many things still allows for a great many chances for a horse to damage any trailer or itself.  Anything with horses is a risky endeavor.  Possibly bad for your health, purse, horse or reputation.  Most state legislatures have recognized this great risk, with equine liability laws.  Still,  we accept those risks for the benefits of horses.  To do otherwise, means to do without horses.

This applies to any trailer...Sundowner, Exiss, Elite, 4Star, or home-made.

In the thread referred to above, I think the problem would have be avoided if the horse was tied properly.  This fact took four days of often charged posting to get enough information.

It bears repeating... Don't listen to non-specific issues or opinions masquerading as fact about any trailer or dealer. 

Edited by hosspuller 2008-01-06 12:49 PM
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-01-07 11:18 AM (#73928 - in reply to #73730)

Expert

Gard, and Hosspuller, sounds like you are old hands with solid advice.   Thanks for your logical and unbiased imput, not just on this thread, but often times.  Good sensible advice is what makes forums like this useful to the good people who need a bit of help now and again. 
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-01-07 5:32 PM (#73956 - in reply to #73730)

Expert

Just old. We all need help at one time or another; that's why I'm here. I've been the recipient of much pertinent information, and I too, am very grateful to the many people who take the time to answer our problems. This forum is a very valuable source of information, from knowledgeable people "who have been there and done that." We are very fortunate to be a member in this culmination of diverse horse owners.

Thank you all for a great job.

Gard

CanadaRoper
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2008-01-09 1:10 PM (#74103 - in reply to #73730)

I own a 4 horse GN Event and Dad owns a 3 horse BP. We both like how they pull, and havn't had any trouble with axles or major componets like the frame. But small things on both trailers are falling apart. Hinges on drop down doors are terrible. Have had trouble on both with the front tack doors. Saddle racks in both have fallen apart.
We both like some things about our Exiss trailers, but due to problems we have had, there will not be another Exiss ever parked in our yard. We have had far better luck with a couple other trailers we pull by other manufacturers.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-01-09 2:45 PM (#74114 - in reply to #73730)

Expert

Hey, just curious, what year model are those, these things are always pertinent...thanks!
ncsuacd
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-01-10 1:41 AM (#74140 - in reply to #73730)

Regular

I am not "masquerading" my experience as a fact.  It is a fact. It is my personal experience.  I apologize if some of the seasoned posters do not feel that my personal experience was "intelligent criticism".

My particular issue was with my horse (not overweight, or overly large) falling through the ramp on a 6 month old trailer.  Bad welds on the ramp.  It was my issue, but a friend's trailer, to complicate the matter.  2002 Model.

Another person in the barn had a door fall off.  I cannot remember what year hers was, I will ask her when I see her again.

The OP asked why people didn't like them.  That is just my personal experience.  EVERY manufacturer of ANYTHING is going to have good products, and bad ones.

It wasn't so much that the incident HAPPENED, but it was how the company dealt with the owners concerns that bothered me.  THAT is why I won't buy one, but that is my personal choice, and right.  It took both ladies several months going round and round with the company to get things right.

2 ladies at the barn I am at now both have newer model trailers by Exiss, a 2005 and a 2007, and they are both great. But I still won't buy one based on the run-around my other two friends got from the company.

I don't feel that my post was at all rude.  The OP asked for "why people don't like them".  I answered with my personal experience.

Edited by ncsuacd 2008-01-10 1:49 AM
mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2008-01-10 5:06 AM (#74143 - in reply to #73730)

Elite Veteran

I have a 96 Exiss Maximum and I have put alot of miles on it since I have owned it. I bought it used.I have never had any issues with this trailer. It tows like a dream and I would probably buy another Exiss.
DOUBLE BOGEY
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2008-01-10 7:50 AM (#74148 - in reply to #73833)

You have yet to learn that the Fairy God Mother of Exiss will rant on any comment made about Exiss that contains anything but total praise on her choice of trailers. Your comments were neither rude nor out of line but simply your response to a question.   Let others continue to deal with whatever pesonal complex issues they have.. As others have posted, there can be problems with any brand of trailer but it appears certain individuals always react in the negative will their choice is mentioned.  Exiss has a spot in the trailer industry just like all the other brands.  That is why there are different brands. just like trucks.  One company cannot fill all the needs of all the people. 
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-01-10 7:57 AM (#74149 - in reply to #74140)

Expert

Originally written by ncsuacd on 2008-01-10 12:41 AM

I am not "masquerading" my experience as a fact.  It is a fact. It is my personal experience.  I apologize if some of the seasoned posters do not feel that my personal experience was "intelligent criticism".

My particular issue was with my horse (not overweight, or overly large) falling through the ramp on a 6 month old trailer.  Bad welds on the ramp.  It was my issue, but a friend's trailer, to complicate the matter.  2002 Model.

Another person in the barn had a door fall off.  I cannot remember what year hers was, I will ask her when I see her again.

The OP asked why people didn't like them.  That is just my personal experience.  EVERY manufacturer of ANYTHING is going to have good products, and bad ones.

It wasn't so much that the incident HAPPENED, but it was how the company dealt with the owners concerns that bothered me.  THAT is why I won't buy one, but that is my personal choice, and right.  It took both ladies several months going round and round with the company to get things right.

2 ladies at the barn I am at now both have newer model trailers by Exiss, a 2005 and a 2007, and they are both great. But I still won't buy one based on the run-around my other two friends got from the company.

I don't feel that my post was at all rude.  The OP asked for "why people don't like them".  I answered with my personal experience. 

ncsuacd:  Thank you for responding.  

To clarify ... I said ..."opinions masquerading as fact..."  I didn't denigrate your experience or your post.  Actually,  I do want to hear about specific experience.  That's how we learn to do better.  From your post, the welds broke on the ramp.  Did your horse's foot go through the ramp or did the ramp merely collapse with the horse on it.  Either way not a good thing, I agree.

Second, the Exiss response was poor in your opinion.  Were you getting your friend's trailer fixed or was the trailer owner talking to the dealer?

What was the issue of getting the ramp repaired/replaced ? 

Was is the issue timely repairs or not accepting warranty responsibility for the repair. I ask since the dealer is the face of Exiss.  or any other manufacturer of big ticket items.  On a 6 month old Exiss trailer,  I would think, the dealer is the primary contact.   And the primary agent for getting it resolved to the owner's satisfaction with the factory...  Choosing the dealer is as important as choosing the trailer brand.  Exiss surely would like to know if their dealer is failing to properly represent them.

edited to address ncsuacd's experiance

Edited by hosspuller 2008-01-10 9:49 AM
horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2008-01-10 9:18 AM (#74152 - in reply to #73730)

Elite Veteran

Amen Hosspuller! So often on here, I hear about the company taking care of something. If you buy from a quality dealer, it gets handled. And the dealer gets to quarrel with the manufacturer if needed. I'm sorry, I don't care about nationwide delivery. I want a dealer close by that I can go see, who wants me happy. And I am sometimes willing to pay a touch more for that opportunity. He values my business, I value his service. My dealer tells me that most factories don't pay him enough for warranty work so I really don't feel particularly confortable asking him to warranty my trailer that he didn't sell me. Just my .02$
exiss sooner of sfl
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-01-11 11:44 AM (#74243 - in reply to #74152)

New User

Horsey1
You are absolutely correct, there are to many dealers out there that will tell you anything to make a deal.They give no warranty or support service after the deal. We are a family buiness of 35 years and will not sell it if we can't service it. Wholesale dealers, and there are many of them out there, cannot afford to have a service staff and in turn there low prices force the full service dealer to struggle or even go out of business for lack of sales. It then becomes an issue of getting service and the factory gets drawn in and its a whole mess.
The moral is pay a little more from your local dealer and keep him in business to save yourself time and aggravation in the long run.
Thank you

Andrew Parsons
Exiss Sooner of South Florida
Del-Raton Trailer Sales
2998 S. Federal Highway
Delray Beach, FL 33483
ph 561-278-3420
fax 561-330-3680
direct line: 561-860-4669