Shawnee Double M or High Knob
KyQHRider
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2008-01-03 6:35 AM (#73673)
Subject: Shawnee Double M or High Knob

I am planning a ride to Shawnee Illinois and High Knob Campground was reccommended to me by a couple of people. I have looked into reviews on Horse Trail Directory and they have none. Seems like folks like Double M quite a bit. Any opinions on the best place to stay. Years ago we went and stayed at Hayes Canyon, which was ok but too many permanent campers. We want to ride to the popular scenic areas from camp.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paints
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2008-01-03 7:30 AM (#73674 - in reply to #73673)
Subject: RE: Shawnee Double M or High Knob

Veteran

We camped at Bear Branch loved place they had alot to offer campers and stall in barn if weather turns wicked/lighting etc.Dinning hall on weekends etc,tack shop,fishings ponds aray different camping cost,shower house with air/heat w laundry fac. on an on.We checked out orther places while there and when we go back to camp we know where to go without doubt Bear Branch.
classygirl98
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-01-03 11:21 AM (#73691 - in reply to #73673)

Veteran

We stay at Hayes a lot because one of our friends have a permanent campsite. Although the campground at High Knob is nothing to brag about, it does have some nice riding from there. We have also stayed at Bay Creek. Nice riding from there too. It is nice to stay at different campgrounds each time you go, so you can hit different areas. I would like to try double m but it is farthest from home so we tend to stick to the closer ones. Circle B has a nice small campground too. I like the owners Connie & Denny. It helps if you can hook up with someone that knows the area that you can ride with and show you the ropes.
Shari
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-01-06 5:58 PM (#73887 - in reply to #73673)

Veteran

We go to Double M a lot. It's not bad, the shower house isn't the best. And can be long ride to get to some nice scenic places. High knob does have good riding, get to pretty things much quicker. The camp ground is ok. We try to go there through the week. Can be a party place on the long holidays. Personly don't care for Bear Branch. But if your like us will be happy just to be in the saddle.
Happy Safe Trails
Issie
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2008-01-20 12:09 PM (#74864 - in reply to #73887)

Regular

Shawnee one of my favorite places to ride! 

High Knob campground is right on top of alot of scenic stuff.  The campground ok, the riding A+.  Double M & High Knob are not that far apart by horseback, but Double M takes a little longer to get to scenic, it's all pretty. but much more rock formation right out of High Knob campground.

All the campgrounds have their high and low points, so it is good to stay at different campgrounds. 

Enjoy!

element
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-01-20 4:42 PM (#74886 - in reply to #73673)

Veteran

You might try Circle B or Little Lusk. Circle B is real small but great riding from there. No stalls just pens, full hook-up. Little Lusk has it all stalls, pens, hi-line full hooks, cabins Just a idea
appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2008-01-26 8:19 PM (#75346 - in reply to #73673)

Veteran

I'd avoid Lusk, it takes "awhile" to get to scenic stuff. 

We drove through High Knob and they do have a few permanent sites too.  The good, shady spots are permanent sites (most) and the sites where you would camp are in the sun.  My friend lives in Stonefort and said that the riding from High Knob is great.  Hayes changed owners a couple years ago, the sites are about 1/2 permanent and 1/2 available.  We found great camping and riding there.  You might want to re-think Hayes, they're affordable and great trails from camp. 

HAVE FUN!!!