Problems w/midtack door, gooseneck coupler, etc.
rogerdodger
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-12-22 11:26 AM (#73286)
Subject: Problems w/midtack door, gooseneck coupler, etc.

My trailer is less than a year old.  Its about 32 feet long, 4 horse with l0 ft LQ with midtack.  At first, the midtack door would swing open while I was driving.  It did this all the time.  I told the trailer dealer about it, and they said the latch was fine.   I decided to use the deadbolt lock in addition to the regular door latch to prevent the problem, but this just shouldn't happen anyway.  AGREE?

Then the midtack door started sticking, so it would be almost impossible to open it.  The dealer filed down a part of the door so it wouldn't stick anymore.  NOW I have the same problem back again of the door swinging open while driving.  Every time I stop for diesel, the door latch has released open. 

Another problem is that somehow the trailer hitch got out of wack, and it took about an hour to try to hook up the trailer after that.   The little pin just wouldn't go into the slot.  It was tap here, tap there, trying over and over again to get the pin lined up with the hole.  We have never done anything to the trailer to wreck the hitch.  The dealer said we must have done something wrong, like hauled it with a fork lift, or bumped into the hitch by mistake, or something.  NOPE.  Anyway, with the trailer being less than a year old, the dealer would not replace it for free.  I was shocked.  Part was maybe $l80 plus (alot) of labor. 

Am I being unreasonable to expect them to fix these things?  Or is this just how trailers are, with things always going wrong? 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-12-22 11:32 AM (#73287 - in reply to #73286)
Subject: RE: Problems w/midtack door, gooseneck coupler, etc.

Expert

Two things I would immediately check...

1. I would check to see if your trailer is out of square...

2. I would check to see if your GN tube is still vertical and internally round...

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-12-22 11:47 AM (#73288 - in reply to #73286)

Expert

Rogerdodger,I have had a couple of trailer experiences that are similar.

We had a new Platinum.Well,it was an '03 that we bought in '05,had never been sold,but had been on the lot and had been taken to some shows as a demo,we assume.Also,there HAD been a horse hauled in it at some point.Story here is: our coupler latch was bent also.When we brought it home,we could not get it to unlatch.It would just keep picking up the bed of the truck when we'd raise the electric jack but wouldn't unlatch.A neighbor finally helped us get it loose.Then,when we were going to haul it shortly after that,we couldn't get the latch to catch.Husband had to drive it with the GN on the ball,but unlatched,to the repairman in our town and he said at some point the latch had been bent before the sale.Apparently by dragging it around on the lot using the tractor and boom that they use.

Traded that trailer for another larger trailer,this time an Exiss.THe back horse door had a gap that allowed you to see in/out.Probably an inch or so.We adjusted the collapsible tack wall,ect.nothing worked.Finally we had it in the vicinity of our dealer at a show doing a demo,and he looked at it,and said it was definately a problem Exiss would address,so,we took it to the dealer.The hinges were hung out of kilter and wouldn't allow the door to line up and close without a gap,so,the hinges had to be rehung.This was under warranty.

THis wasn't hard to prove but the GN being bent was,we just had to buy a new coupler as you have and eat it.Dealers are everything when you buy a trailer,no matter WHAT brand you are buying.

Our Exiss dealer is: Jim's Motors in Cuba,MO.

Edited by crowleysridgegirl 2007-12-22 11:49 AM
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-12-22 11:50 AM (#73289 - in reply to #73288)

Expert

Our coupler sleeve was about $80,bought it at Tractor Supply.It just slides off when a few bolts are loosened and the new one can go back on the same way.(One reason a GN CAN be stolen even with a coupler lock.)
memory
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2007-12-22 9:35 PM (#73303 - in reply to #73286)

Veteran

I had the same problem with the dressing room door on my titan.  The door had gotton out of square.  The shop in town put a piece of 2x4 on the top part and pushed in on the bottom with their hands,that took care of it for about a year then it started doing it again. I just repeated the same bending that they did.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-12-23 2:13 AM (#73308 - in reply to #73286)

Expert

Sounds to me like your trailer is bending and flexing causing the the door to unlatch and pop open. Maybe the latch bolt can be adjusted so it sets deeper in the in the door jamb when it's closed. I have Silver Star trailer that twists and flexes, but not so much that the dressing room and mid-tack doors pop open!! What brand trailer is it, make, model?

So far as the hitch goes... Is the trailer parked where someone would have tampered with the hitch? Do you install a lock on the hitch when not in use? Someone run into it with the tractor or backed into it with the/a truck, with it cranked down too low? Those hitches just don't get "out of whack" on their own, may be the reason the dealer is not wanting to replace it for free!!

Edited by retento 2007-12-23 2:21 AM
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-12-23 5:14 PM (#73326 - in reply to #73308)

Expert

How would a GN lock mess up the coupler and cause it to become bent,ect?
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-12-23 7:52 PM (#73335 - in reply to #73286)

Expert

CRG, If it didn't have a lock on it and someone else had tried to hitch to it with a truck, frontend loader ,forklift or something other than the rig they normally use, I give up. Maybe I whacked it with my big hammer!! I never said a goose neck lock would mess up the coupler....You got a "goose neck lock fetish" or something??...Just messin with ya!!

Edited by retento 2007-12-23 7:57 PM
horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2007-12-23 8:25 PM (#73336 - in reply to #73286)

Elite Veteran

I bent my coupler pin once because it had been closed & latched, and then set down on the ball. But it was pretty easy to fix with a large hammer and a little properly placed persuasion.
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-12-23 9:28 PM (#73338 - in reply to #73336)

Expert

Just a crazy question ,but are the gooseneck coupler that easy to bend??? I would thing that if you hit them with the ball you would known it ???????
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-12-23 10:26 PM (#73342 - in reply to #73335)

Expert

NAW,Rentento,I just use one of those GN locks that needs that big hammer to knock it off with,HA HA!

I see what you mean,now,about having a lock on it and someone trying to move it around.Ours got bent on the lot before we bought it,but,we didn't know it,and of course,the crooks we bought the trailer from (dealer) sure didn't say so.The boom on the tractor had bent it.Yes,something had to have happened,they don't bend themselves.

Edited by crowleysridgegirl 2007-12-23 10:28 PM
rogerdodger
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-12-24 11:00 AM (#73350 - in reply to #73308)

Retento:

I think that is what's happening, that the trailer is flexing and bending.  I was wondering if perhaps the main structure should have been reinforced more so the midtack door wouldn't give me so much problem.  Its not cool for the door to fly open while i'm driving.  The dealer checked out the latch and said it was fine and nothing was wrong with it.  But it still happens.  As I said, every time we stop for diesel, the latch is "unlatched".  That just shouldn't happen. 

The trailer is parked in our private driveway.  We have not backed into it, pulled it around with a forklift/tractor or whatever.  I am sure we did not back into it.  The pin was bent ever so slightly, but enuf so it wouldn't line up into the hole without much hammer-tapping, and sometimes even that wouldn't do it.  Nothing like hammer-tapping for an hour in the dark cold weather trying to get the trailer hitched up.....  I am very disappointed the dealer won't replace this.  We did nothing wrong.