trails west trailers
montyandmisty
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2007-11-26 6:05 PM (#71847)
Subject: trails west trailers

I am thinking of getting a new trailswest gooseneck trailer next year and was wondering if anyone has had any serious problems with them after a few years of use. Also how they have held up,compared to other brands that are similiar in design?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-11-26 7:17 PM (#71851 - in reply to #71847)
Subject: RE: trails west trailers

Expert

Trails West trailers are built about 70 miles away. So there are a lot of them around here. Both new and old.

I have not owned one, so I speak second hand based upon passing conversation at campgrounds.. But I've heard they are very solidy built.

I've not heard a lot of complaints, for what it's worth.

Aspen
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-11-26 9:39 PM (#71857 - in reply to #71847)

Regular

Have to tell ya that I'm on my second TrailsWest!! First one I bought was a 2001 Santa Fe 3 horse slant Goose Neck. It was Pretty striped Model, at that time we thought that's all we needed. We really liked it a lot so we purchased a 2004 Sierra 3 horse slant, with quite a lot more option on it. I did put in a weekend package my self, place to sleep, eat and get out of the rain when I need to. I do give it a few good wax jobs a year and keep it clean inside and out, and have no rust or fading what so ever. These trailers sound so solid well built and they're great looking to boot. When your out about check out other trailers that in the price range of the TrailsWeat and compare the solidness and rust and resale to other trailers.  If I ever need to up grade again it will be another trailsWest, but far as I see it will be a long time, mine still looks and pulls like new and best of all it's paid for!!  I live in the West Central WI area and bought mine from Uncle Bob's in Jamestown North Dakota.  
genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2007-11-26 11:24 PM (#71863 - in reply to #71847)

Elite Veteran

montyandmisty-Who are you dealing with? Have some friends with a Trails West. They really like it, but they want to move up to a small living quarters to go to High School rodeos with. They would definitly consider another Trails West. Do you know if we can ride at Forestville yet since there is still no snow?
montyandmisty
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2007-11-27 12:20 AM (#71868 - in reply to #71863)

Hello, My wife and I haven't dealt with any specific dealer as of yet. But after looking at lots of trailers, we think that we would like a trailwest above all others. Forestville is closed off for horses for the season unfortunatly! We live 10 miles from there and love going there.
brokenboot
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-11-27 8:06 AM (#71880 - in reply to #71868)

Regular

I purchased a 2003 3 horse gooseneck new from Uncle Bob's. They are no longer a Trails West dealer, however. Wish they were ... they were great to deal with and provided excellent after purchase service. We still love the Trails West. There are so many great features ... the side tack is great ... the finish inside and out is excellent. The sales rep had me pull a couple of their other brands of aluminum trailers before I made my buying decision and in my opinion the Trails West pulled better than the others. I had intended on purchasing aluminum but the construction, the detailing, the ease of pulling, together with the price of a Trails West, convinced me it was a greater value than the others. The only downside to Trails West, at least for us, is that they don't offer an 8' wide model.
genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2007-11-27 10:35 AM (#71900 - in reply to #71847)

Elite Veteran

We enjoy going there too. It's less than 50 miles for us. The other place we really like nearby is down by Decorah. Hutchinson Family Campground. It's between Decorah and Bluffton just off the Bluffton Road on Scenic River Road. They are not groomed trails and offer a little more challenge to the horse and rider. They also have canoe and kayak rentals. You can check out their website at hutchinsonfamilycampground.com
dublrfrm
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2007-11-27 6:14 PM (#71931 - in reply to #71847)

montyandmisty - I would definitely recommend a Trails West trailer!  They are very well built.  We bought a Trails West 3H slant gooseneck new in 1999.  It had a small Showtime weekend LQ package in it.  We just sold it this past summer and the people that bought it are as happy with it as we were.  That trailer had a LOT of miles on it but we kept it clean inside and out and were lucky enough to be able to store it inside when we weren't using it.  After 8 years of use, it had no rust and everything was still in excellent working condition.  The people that bought it say their friends thought it was a new trailer - could not believe it is more than 8 years old.  When it comes to pulling, you probably won't find another trailer that pulls as nice as that one does.  Good Luck and definitely give the Trails West some serious thought!

apricotbend
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-11-27 7:09 PM (#71934 - in reply to #71847)
Subject: Trails west trailers

Regular

I have a Trails West--2005 model. Here are some things you might want to check out. The 7' box is not 7' tall inside--not even close. We upgraded the mats right away cause the stock ones were flimsey. Wish now I would have just double matted so the mats were easier to handle. We got the gooseneck with double doors in back. The area just below the cam locks had no rubber bumper in that area. Trails West's answer was to leave the mat sticking out of the rear of the trailer about an inch so a horse backing out would not peel the hide off his cannon bones. First time I loaded my horse he caught the toe of his hoof on the mat sticking out of the back and the mat folded up like a taco under him and he fell into the trailer. I called the manufacturer and they said to nail the mat to the floor. We ended up taking the two piece bumper off and put on a one peice bumper with covers all but the cam lock. We would have cut the mat back so it was inside the trailer but, like I said above, we upgraded the mats. Another beef, the three exterior light switches for our trailer are right where one ties up the horse. We had to weld a gizmo onto that area to keep the horse from chewing them off.

Take a good look at lots of trailers and decide what you want or can live with.

ntcowgirl
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-11-27 7:27 PM (#71936 - in reply to #71847)

Regular

we had a trails west.. when we pulled up the carpet in the large mid tack area, it was all rotted out...was just plywood..nothing else between the trailer and the ground.

hubby wasnt too happy about it.  we now have a silverlite...jury is still out on the silverlite.