backing out of a sale
july
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-11-11 6:40 PM (#70903)
Subject: backing out of a sale

Regular

here is the deal, we sold our trailer to the 2nd person that looked at it, we got what we were asking and a non-refundable deposit (arriving monday) the problem is the person buying the trailer is such a PITA, questions out the yazoooooooooooo, don't get me wrong i too would ask questions but enough is enough, is there any way to stop this deal before i get the rest of the money?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-11-11 7:08 PM (#70905 - in reply to #70903)
Subject: RE: backing out of a sale

Expert

You could approach the buyer with- if you are not completely sure about this purchase, we will be glad to refund the despoit and cancel the sale. I know you said non refundable but if you really want out, you have to refund the money. The non refundable generally covers YOu if the buyer backs out. They will probably not want to do this.

july
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-11-11 8:02 PM (#70908 - in reply to #70903)

Regular

well i have already tried all that and they still want to buy the trailer. i just have  "gut" feeling that they will be non-stop after the sale is over pain in the neck buyers. the kind that call about every little thing they can think of. this trailer is in excellent condition and i just don't want them to have it because of all the b/s that may follow after the sale. i knlw as long as i don't cash the deposit check and there is no papers written up i could just send the money back, couldn't i??? has anyone ever sold and then changed their mind?
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-11-11 8:23 PM (#70911 - in reply to #70908)

Expert

You could tell a fib and just say you'd thought it over and decided that at this time you dont want to sell your trailer.Then take a chance on sitting around trying to sell it to somebody who is going to talk you down on your price until you turn blue and sell it to them just to get rid of THEM.

Or,you could tell the folks buying it in a nice way<"Look,I've been as up front and honest about the trailer as I can be,and I need for you to understand something.Once it leaves here,it's yours,and it's not coming back,not to ME anyway." Then hand them a write-up that they can sign saying that in a more professional way.Then,don't answer the phone or mess with them anymore after they buy it.That's the way we do it around here.

Hank
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-11-11 9:24 PM (#70914 - in reply to #70911)

Veteran

Originally written by crowleysridgegirl on 2007-11-11 8:23 PM

Or,you could tell the folks buying it in a nice way<"Look,I've been as up front and honest about the trailer as I can be,and I need for you to understand something.Once it leaves here,it's yours,and it's not coming back,not to ME anyway." Then hand them a write-up that they can sign saying that in a more professional way.Then,don't answer the phone or mess with them anymore after they buy it.That's the way we do it around here.

My advice exactly.  Sell it.  Move on.  Caller ID is your friend.  And get a bill of sale that says paid in full, as is, no warranty implied or otherwise.

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-11-12 7:32 AM (#70930 - in reply to #70903)

Expert

ye Hank- that would be good too. Written- no warranty of any kind...AS IS...then stop taking the calls.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-11-12 9:08 AM (#70939 - in reply to #70903)

Expert

Have two identical bills of sale made up, stating as Hank said, " This trailer is being sold in an as is, where is  condition, with no warranties expressed or implied." Have a space for your name, the buyer, the sale price and the ser# and model name or number of the trailer.

Also have a statement on the sales agreement that states that the buyer has inspected the trailer and agrees to accept it in its present condition, and understands that there is no warranty. A second signature after that statement would not be out of line.

Each of you sign both agreements and you give him his choice of which one to keep, you keep the second. By having two original bills of sale, you have a legal document that protects you from any erroneous claims that might be made after the sale.

Once you accepted his deposit you have agreed to a binding contract. You can keep his deposit money if he backs out, you cannot back out if he comes up with the balance that is due. It varies in each state, but the balance due has to be presented within a timely period. This is usually agreed to by the buyer and seller, but normally does not exceed thirty days.

Do not give him the bill of sale and the title until he has paid in full and his check has cleared. Cash is best

BOL  Gard

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-11-12 9:56 AM (#70945 - in reply to #70903)

Expert

Gard in his post has given you some good advice.  After the sale, the buyer has his choice of repair places to get the trailer fixed to their satisfaction... just not at your place or dime.

If they want a lot of after sale support, they should buy a new trailer under a warranty at a dealership ... and pay the price.

kraigrrr
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-11-12 11:42 AM (#70960 - in reply to #70903)

have them sign a bill of sale and make sure you write on it SOLD AS IS!

very common in this business

july
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-11-12 1:14 PM (#70975 - in reply to #70903)

Regular

thanks to all,i haven't cashed the deposit check yet and if i get one more "stupid" question aske i'm thinking i'll just return his deposit as i have 2 other people waiting to buy it at the same price. thanks again

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-11-12 1:46 PM (#70978 - in reply to #70975)

Expert

Before I did that,I'd try to work with the person since in good faith they've honored your request by giving you the deposit,and they were the first ones to do so.But I'd also follow the suggestions by hosspuller and the others by presenting them with the paperwork and they would see you're serious about selling it to them as is,and you don't want to be bothered the rest of your life by doing so,either.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-11-12 3:26 PM (#70989 - in reply to #70903)

Expert

If you return his check and accept another you are subjecting yourself to civil liabilities. You can be sued for damages and penalties, in addition to the actual sale of the trailer.

A verbal contract was made, a check was given in good faith. You cannot change your mind simply because you do not like the buyer. The only way you can void the deal is if he doesn't pay the balance within your agreed upon time period.

You can easily be setting yourself up for litigation. Once you make a deal you have to live with it for better or worse. You are no better than your word, and if you break it you are nothing

Defending yourself with a lawyer will be much more disagreeable and expensive than the possibility of an overbearing buyer.

Gard

ggrimm01
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2007-11-12 3:58 PM (#70993 - in reply to #70903)

Regular

Tell that person the trailer is what it is.   The trailer is well taken care of and the trailer is used.   You have been open and honest with the buyer, but now is the time to be blunt.   
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-11-12 5:28 PM (#70997 - in reply to #70993)

Expert

Yeah,Greg,that is it.As my husband says,"IT's a used trailer,what the heck?" I agree with your approach.
Hank
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-11-12 6:10 PM (#71000 - in reply to #70989)

Veteran

Originally written by gard on 2007-11-12 3:26 PM

If you return his check and accept another you are subjecting yourself to civil liabilities. You can be sued for damages and penalties, in addition to the actual sale of the trailer.

A verbal contract was made, a check was given in good faith. You cannot change your mind simply because you do not like the buyer. The only way you can void the deal is if he doesn't pay the balance within your agreed upon time period.

You can easily be setting yourself up for litigation. Once you make a deal you have to live with it for better or worse. You are no better than your word, and if you break it you are nothing

Defending yourself with a lawyer will be much more disagreeable and expensive than the possibility of an overbearing buyer.

Gard

Agreed, unless second buyer pays more than the pita buyer.  Then yer ok. 

july
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-11-12 6:57 PM (#71004 - in reply to #70903)

Regular

i'm going to go through with this sale because of several things you guys have said and i will make sure to get a bill of sale and state "as is"

norakatrina
Reg. Dec 2007
Posted 2007-12-19 1:47 PM (#73155 - in reply to #70903)

New User

I have about the same issue, which turns to be a nightmare for me. I was thinking to buy a brenderup trailer for my warm blood, so I call dealer and he told me that for 16.5H horse Solo would be fine. So I took a loan a got a new trailer. The dealer only asks information about my car, what I did told him. After a few trips my horse refused to go on this trailer - it was a little short, and then I notice that hitch only can handle 1300#, my horse weight at least 1500#. So I called dealer and ask to upgrade, he sad that he will give me a little less money, I left deposit a and 30 days later he called that I can get a new trailer but he will give me $3200 less for my new trailer. Since that time I contacted Brenderup in Texas and Denmark - that trailer is unfit for 1500# horse, but they just ignoring me, so does the dealer. What are my rights and what can I do?
nd deb
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2007-12-19 2:50 PM (#73157 - in reply to #70903)

Veteran

When someone says sells as  is ect..  I question if there is something wrong that they don't want to tell me up front.  makes me wonder if something that they know is wrong is gonna show up after the sale.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-12-19 3:54 PM (#73162 - in reply to #73157)

Expert

Not necessarily.Car dealers do it all the time.It just means,"As you see it,it is what it is,no more,no less.Buy it like it sits or pass it by." That's what it means.

How do you know if a horse trailer is or isn't going to have problems down the road? Heck,I wouldn't.Unless I just knew it was rusted out,or had a bent frame or axle,ect.That's anything that a prospective buyer is free to check out before they buy the trailer if they so choose.

If you had a used trailer,and you told someone interested in it,"As is" what would that mean to YOU?

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-12-19 3:58 PM (#73163 - in reply to #73155)

Expert

Norakatrina,sell your trailer outright to an individual.Then I would find a different Brenderup dealer.Or you might locate a used Brenderup trailer that would suit your needs.Get your deposit back,tell him you have changed your mind.Unless he's ordered you another trailer,he's not entitled to a deposit unless you committed to buy another one from him that he's ordered for you or there's one on his lot that you've committed to.I don't understand why you gave him a deposit.
nd deb
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2007-12-19 5:23 PM (#73167 - in reply to #73162)

Veteran

I don't think I would say that as a seller unless if it was something i was trying to sell real cheap just to get rid of it or that it had some type of problem going on.  Too me it implies that something isn't quite right with it.  I would think the buyer wouldn't be confident in buying the trailer then. It is like buying a horse.  Sometimes it is hard to really know if what the seller is telling you is all necessarily true. In a way the statement to me as a buyer makes me want to buy new rather then used.  Because then if something goes wrong then they will fix it on warranty ect..
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-12-19 6:06 PM (#73169 - in reply to #73155)

Expert

Originally written by norakatrina on 2007-12-19 2:47 PM

I have about the same issue, which turns to be a nightmare for me. I was thinking to buy a brenderup trailer for my warm blood, so I call dealer and he told me that for 16.5H horse Solo would be fine. So I took a loan a got a new trailer. The dealer only asks information about my car, what I did told him. After a few trips my horse refused to go on this trailer - it was a little short, and then I notice that hitch only can handle 1300#, my horse weight at least 1500#. So I called dealer and ask to upgrade, he sad that he will give me a little less money, I left deposit a and 30 days later he called that I can get a new trailer but he will give me $3200 less for my new trailer. Since that time I contacted Brenderup in Texas and Denmark - that trailer is unfit for 1500# horse, but they just ignoring me, so does the dealer. What are my rights and what can I do?

Norakatrina

When you left a deposit on the second trailer and agreed to a trade in price on your first trailer, you established a binding contract. The dealer is obligated to provide you with the trailer you ordered and give you your trade in allowance as agreed upon by both parties.

If the dealer has your money and will not complete the provisions of your contract, I would speak with an attorney. There usually is no charge for an initial consultation, and he can advise a course of action. Each state has specific provisions concerning contract law which must be followed.

Brenderup has no liability in your sale, other than to ask their dealer to play fairly. You would think that it would be in their best interest to have a satisfied user of their products.

Sometimes there only has to be a phone call or letter from an attorney to remind a person of his contractional duties and the penalties involved with non-compliance. He will then know that you are serious about resolving the problem. and will not be pushed around by his bullying.

BOL  Gard

notfromtexas
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-12-19 6:37 PM (#73173 - in reply to #70903)

Veteran

Shame on your dealer..but a little shame on you, too for not doing your research on the trailer first and knowing a Solo wouldn't suit your horse.  I would keep calling Brenderup higher-ups...keep a record of who, when, and what you talked about, and try to resolve it.  If they are unresponsive try and find a "watchdog" in the newspaper or on TV that might call on your behalf.  When companies know that their misdeeds are going to be widely known they get a lot more eager to help!  You might mention that you have posted your problem on a forum with thousands of readers and would very much like to be able to let us know that it was resolved happily....
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-12-19 6:50 PM (#73174 - in reply to #73167)

Expert

Originally written by nd deb on 2007-12-19 5:23 PM

I don't think I would say that as a seller unless if it was something i was trying to sell real cheap just to get rid of it or that it had some type of problem going on.  Too me it implies that something isn't quite right with it. 

Really? Well,I have sold to this date I have sold 4 trailers to individuals and traded 2.On every one it was understood by the buyer that they were buying the trailer "as is." Meaning,they were free to check the trailer out,if they found something they thought was wrong with it,they didn't have to buy it,and,I didn't have to fix it if I just wanted to sell the trailer for that price.No one chose to check out the trailers,and,they didn't call me later complaining that this or that was wrong with it.They took it as it was.You've apparently been screwed in the past on a trailer sale,or,you haven't sold any yourself.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-12-19 6:59 PM (#73176 - in reply to #73167)

Expert

And most of the time,folks are concerned with the tires,the flooring,the lights,and brakes,and that's about it.I mean,what the hell,there's not a whole lot there that can go wrong with a horse trailer,and as I said,I've sold 4 to individuals,and traded 2.All sales were "as is" and FYI,I'm an honest seller,have nothing to hide,and was honest and up front with everyone that bought my trailers.Same with all of the horses that I've sold,too.

You are right in saying that if you don't want to deal with any problems out of your pocket once you buy one from a person,because,that's what you'll do incidentally,go buy a new one.That's not a guarantee you won't have problems that a dealer won't fix free,either.Do a search on these forums and you'll find dozens of problems with dealers and new trailers,very few with people buying from individuals that had an understanding of what "as is" means.

nd deb
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2007-12-20 8:23 AM (#73194 - in reply to #73174)

Veteran

Originally written by crowleysridgegirl on 2007-12-19 6:50 PM

Originally written by nd deb on 2007-12-19 5:23 PM
You've apparently been screwed in the past on a trailer sale,or,you haven't sold any yourself.

I have found in selling horses and in selling a trailer that people are suspicous in whether they are getting screwed or not.  Seems like they are always looking for an inperfection to get the price down as well.  It sucks trying to sell stuff.  I have had one person in which I had a check handed to me for close to the price that I actually wanted for a horse only to have them 6 hours later back out.   This was due to buyers remorse.  It is like people look for an excuse as to why they perhaps shouldn't buy something. 

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-12-20 9:00 AM (#73197 - in reply to #73173)

Expert

If the buyers are worried about used trailer even new trailers ,cars, everything can have a problem your trailer does not come with a warranty that is the true and that is it
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-12-20 1:28 PM (#73215 - in reply to #73194)

Expert

Yes,well,now that's a whole different story,what the BUYERS think and do.I've had the same thing happen.Had a gal come look at a nice gelding I had for sale,and I do mean nice.Beautiful 16HH Missouri Foxtrotter with saddlebred looks.She rode him,her mother rode him,ect.She said she'd take him,and she was going home to get the money from some cattle she'd sold,and would bring the check back with her when she came to pick him up.WRONG.She called later,said,"I've found another horse that I think I want,it is closer to us,ect." Apparently she let a trailer trip keep her from a horse sale,I guess.She wanted us to haul him up there,and,we said we couldn't,we did not have the time available to us.She then said,"If you'd taken X--- for him,I would have gone ahead." I jumped right in the middle of her case with both feet,and said,in effect,"Why the hell did you waste our time by coming down here then telling a bald faced lie and saying you would buy him,going back home,then reneging because of the price? You knew what we were wanting for the horse when you left here,DINGBAT."

And,the stories could go on and on,but,I'll end here.

notfromtexas
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-12-20 5:55 PM (#73223 - in reply to #70903)

Veteran

The stories COULD go on and on..had a friend in the horse trading business, a woman came out to look at them..rode EVERYTHING she had.  Then told my friend she wasn't really looking to buy a horse, she just wanted to go for a ride.  My friend, BTW, ripped her a new one...
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-12-20 7:44 PM (#73230 - in reply to #73223)

Expert

HA HA! I'd like to have been a "fly on the wall" around there!!!LOOKOUT!