HELP-Cherokee Dealers-Updated
misssexysixarun
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-11-09 1:15 PM (#70775)
Subject: HELP-Cherokee Dealers-Updated

Regular

Bought a Cherokee LQ in Jan 2002.  Brand new.

I just found out that it had or has a 5 yr bumper to bumper on it.  Did this warranty expire in Jan 2007 or does it continue the whole year of 2007?  I have a call into Cherokee but he is not in today.

Help PLEASE!  I am so stressed over this deal!

Edited by misssexysixarun 2008-03-23 8:47 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
bowhunter70
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-11-09 2:00 PM (#70778 - in reply to #70775)
Subject: RE: HELP-Cherokee Dealers

I think it is 5 years from the date you bought it
misssexysixarun
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-11-09 2:06 PM (#70779 - in reply to #70778)

Regular

That is what I was thinking, but was hoping it was five years from the year you bought it! LOL!  Oh well, we will see if I can do a sob story.  I honestly didn't know it had that on it or would have taken it in long ago!
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-11-09 2:53 PM (#70781 - in reply to #70775)

Expert

What's wrong with the Cherokee trailer that it needs warranty work done on it? .........(This coming from a new Cherokee owner, for less than a week)
misssexysixarun
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-11-09 2:58 PM (#70783 - in reply to #70775)

Regular

You really don't want to know!  I have had continus problems with this trailer!  Now after the warranty expires I find out it had one on it!
misssexysixarun
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-11-09 2:59 PM (#70784 - in reply to #70775)

Regular

Trailer Issues

2002 Cherokee Chief Plus 4hrs 8ft Short Wall.

Reg: # 4BJHG252720004398

Interior-Living Quarter Issues-

1. AC/Heat- The heat wouldn’t shut off, would just keep on going, even set at the lowest temp. The air would get cold, but not nearly as cold as it should. So I put a new thermostat in it, same make and brand as the first. Then nothing would even turn on. Ended up taking it to Millbrook in Rockford to fix the heat, as we needed it. They said my AC was junk and I needed a new unit?? Well now the heat is doing the same thing again. Turns on and never shuts off. Had it set on 55 degrees, watched it, I was sweating my butt off in there!!! Way warmer then 55 degrees. The pilot would turn off, for like 30 seconds to 1 minute, then right back on. The fan never stopped. The AC hasn’t worked for the last two years.

2. Awning- This is the 2nd awning on this trailer. The 1st one blew off going down the road after only owning it a month. It was in Jan and I had never opened it. The figured it was a warranty issue, as one of the locking devices broke. Finally after six months, they installed a new awning. This one has not worked right since they put it on. Now it is broken. When you go to roll it up, it will roll once and stop, once and stop. You have to keep hitting the lock thing to get it to roll again. Sometimes it will roll all the way to the top with no problems, but most times, it does this, and you have to do this all the way to the top. I also have to put snaps in the arms of the awning to prevent it from falling down all of a sudden. The grips on it are way to small and any little wind will make the awning slip and slide down the arm. Last time I used it (Labor Day Weekend 2007), when I went to put it up, the arm towards the back of the trailer, the one that folds down inside the big arm, would not go down. Well we found a pin had broken inside of it and was not letting it down. We finally got that arm down where it was suppose to be. Then, I went to do the other arm, towards the front of the trailer. I was putting it down, when I got it down next to the trailer, a piece fell off the top and hit me on the head. I have this piece. It is a slightly curved black piece that actually helps to lock the awning in place during travel. So now the awning is held there with binder twine! Also, the screws that hold the awning onto the trailer were almost out, so I had to screw them back in, or the whole awning would have fallen off going down the road. Also, why is there no roller on the camper door to protect the awning from the door?

3. Horse Compartment Lights & Bathroom Fan- All the lights in the horse compartment, Stalls, Tack, Mangers, Loading light, are all attached to the fan in the living quarters. They must have a short in them somewhere. Sometimes they work, other times they don’t. The lights will work, if the truck is running, not just the key turned, it has to be running. Otherwise they don’t work on the battery like the used to and they should. The fan will only work when those lights are working on the battery and no other time. They seem to only work when I don’t need them, daylight! So they have a short or something in them?

4. Fridge- The fridge all of a sudden doesn’t work on Electric. I did have it plugged in the other day, and it worked, then the next day it didn’t? It used to get really cold on Electric and Gas. Still does on gas, just doesn’t work on Electric. The freezer door doesn’t stay closed at all, so that doesn’t work as the door won’t stay closed. It is getting harder to light on propane and it smells terrible when on propane. Just started doing this. Smells really bad inside the trailer, and smell outside the trailer, even when the door is closed so it has full ventilation. Almost makes you sick to smell that.

5. Floor- The floor in the interior is turning black all over the place. Been doing it since about 2003 or so. Getting worse. There have been no serious leaks or water on the floor. The floor looks terrible and I keep rugs on it to protect it and to hide the black spots.

6. Shower- The shower door leaks really badly! I keep a couple towels on the floor when ever I have to take a shower, to protect the floor from getting wet, but it leaks pretty bad!

7. Converter- When I had the trailer at Millbrook to fix the heat last fall; they told me this trailer did not have a converter? Now I have no idea if it does or not, but it should have. The battery will not charge while hooked to the truck or even when plugged in to electric, which it should do both. The only way the battery will charge is if I actually hook it to a battery charger. This trailer should charge hooked to the truck or when plugged in. Can we figure this out? Oh and the battery that is on the trailer currently was purchased in May of 2007, so it is brand new.

8. Blinds- Is there anything we can do to fix these dang blinds? Every time I turn around I have to fix them, which is not an easy task. They break all the time even when you are being VERY careful with them to open them. What a pain they are!

9. Fresh Water Holding Tank- This is a question. What can you put in these tanks that gets the odor out and you can still drink and use the water. Sometimes the water that comes out of it smells like the sewer! It gets bad and I sometimes have to fill and drain it four to five times to get the smell out so I can use that water.

10. Interior Lights & Trim- The lights in the nose, or bed part of the trailer, one of the covers came off. I can’t get it to stay on for nothing. A lot of the trim is also starting to come off, getting loose, etc.

11. Dinette- Not a huge deal, just aggravating. Three of the cushions are very hard. One is so soft; you can depress it with your finger. Makes is hard to sit on and even harder to use as a bed.

Ok, I think that is all that is wrong with the Interior of the trailer. You might want to check it all over GOOD as I have had problems with this trailer since I bought it and I am very disappointed about that.

Trailer Issues

1. Tires or Axles- Can you check the axles? I have had seven flat tires on this trailer since I purchased it. The one that always goes is the rear curb side tire. In fact, it has a spare on it right now! I have also had two rims crack on this trailer. I don’t feel that the tires and rims are heavy enough for this trailer and there has to be something wrong with that axle to make that tire blow all the time. It has always been that tire!

2. Jack- It is super hard to crank and gets stuck. I have greased it and Millbrook has greased it and nothing helps. I have a bad back and I can hardly crank this sucker up. It needs serious help! Plus the handle has corroded and is breaking so it cuts your hand if you are not careful.

3. Mangers- These mangers have leaked ever since I bought it. I brought it up to a sales person and he said they all do. Well I don’t think they should! I can only put things in there that is ok to get wet, hoses, buckets, etc. Makes it really hard to store stuff when you can’t use that for anything. It smells terrible in there and you can see the inside of the doors are molding and look terrible. They leak badly, when you have stuff in there, you can open it up and see the water on the items, such as a bucket.

4. Escape Door- The escape door hinge to open it is super hard. I feel I am going to break the handle when I open it. I have to put all my weight into it to open and close the handle. When it is closed, you can look down the trailer and see that the hinge is bowed and that the door is being pulled out away from the trailer as there is so much pressure on the door from the handle. Inside the trailer, you can see daylight where the door is, when it should be sealed.

5. Plexiglas- The Plexiglas on the butt side was very difficult to get out. We had to break it all to pieces. It was cut to wide, it was stuck in there and it was also cut to long. So now, just to get it out, we had to break it, so I have no Plexiglas to replace it with.

misssexysixarun
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-11-09 3:00 PM (#70785 - in reply to #70775)

Regular

I know now the LQ is for sure not going to be covered.  Working on the actual trailer, but I am sure they won't fix it, as it is over warranty, but I am going to give them a sob story!
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-11-09 7:34 PM (#70806 - in reply to #70785)

Expert

Who in the world did the conversion on the LQ on the trailer?

DId they not explain your warranty to you and have you fill out warranty papers also signed by the dealer to be sent in to Cherokee when you bought it?This almost happened to us when we bought a new Platinum.I knew it had a warranty,and how long,but the dealer didn't explain that we had 30 days to send the papers in to Platinum,and they had to be signed by the dealer also.I happened upon the warranty papers in get this: the BRUSH BOX in the back tack door.They'd been damp too.In a complaint sent in to the Better Business Bureau of Missouri I explained all this plus several other issues.I got a copy of the dealer's response.His response on the warranty papers? "The warranty papers are always left in the trailer."

YES SIR I'm sure they are,but: are they always left inside the brush box inside the rear tack door for the owner to just happen to come across???? They were a bunch of idiots and I hope they've gone out of business by now,or are about to.They were also LIARS from the word go.

I am not saying this is true of your dealer.It is too bad that you did not make these issues known to them before now.I made sure that any issue,however minor was brought to my 2nd dealer's attention ASAP,and he has seen to it that they will be fixed.Hopefully they will work with you some,but,they have the warranty dates on their side unfortunately. 

Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2007-11-09 7:49 PM (#70810 - in reply to #70775)

I can hear Retento pulling the cork and looking for ice.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-11-09 8:24 PM (#70811 - in reply to #70810)

Expert

Yeah he will probably get a magnifying glass and start making a list now.At least it's not about Exiss this time.

Edited by crowleysridgegirl 2007-11-09 8:25 PM
reinergirl
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-11-09 9:00 PM (#70812 - in reply to #70775)

Regular

OK, I can't help but ask why, after 5 years, you decided to call about your warranty today? Looks to me like I would have had an intimate relationship with the conversion company if I had a list of issues like yours. Was Millbrook the dealer that sold it to you?

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-11-09 11:34 PM (#70817 - in reply to #70775)

Expert

Right on there Tx! WOW, I about spewed after reading that list!!!  Some of that sounds like "preventive maintenance" issues, along with the LQ install. The deal with the right rear tire is the AL-KO axles. They had a bad run on some axles in 2001-2004, should have been recalled but you know how that goes. It's bent or the rubber is twisted up inside causing the bottom of the tire to kick out and back, causing it to burn off on the inside.........BOOM!

Edited by retento 2007-11-10 4:54 AM
misssexysixarun
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-11-10 1:20 PM (#70840 - in reply to #70775)

Regular

Ok, before you all start bashing telling me that I should have gotten in contact with the dealer, manufacturing, conversion place before now.  I DID!  The first year and a half I owned it!  I was on the phone or in the dealership every week!

The dealership I bought it from changed hands shorlty after I bought it.  The Conversion place went out of buisness, wonder why?

I did not know that it had a five year bumper to bumper on it for the frame work, or I would have done that a lot sooner as well, just found out about that a month ago, which it is to late now.  I knew it had a warranty on the floor, but didn't know about the rest.

The salesman I purchased it from (who also owned the dealership) told me about this when I seen him last month out camping.  He is trying to help me out the best he can, he is 75 years old and has bladder cancer and is retired.  But he has kept in contact with all these people.

He has been in contact with Cherokee, as I have, but left a message.  He thinks he may be able to get them to do something with the actual trailer for me, but who knows.  Worth a shot anyways.

I talked with the guy who did the actual conversion yesterday.  He had no clue I have had this many problems with it SINCE I BOUGHT IT.  He is going to work with me.  He can't do it under warranty, obiously.  But he is going to take a look at it, give me an estimate to fix it, and then go from there.  Going to let me pay him over time, as he wants me to be happy with it.  That is very generous on his part, he could just say screw you and I wouldn't blame him.  As the guys at the dealership gave me the run around for a year and a half and never told him I was having any problems with him.  They also kept the owner/salesperson out of the loop as well.  Didn't want to deal with it.

None of this is maintence things.  The heat/ac has been screwed up since I bought it.  Took it in, they looked at it and said that the therm was off, it would heat it up 8 degrees higher then you set it at or same with the air.  Said I just needed to deal with it.  Now it is totally broken.

Anyways, I have dealt with a lot of people on this trailer and keep getting the run around, people not wanting to take responsability.  I am going to take it to the conversion guy and let him fix it for me.  Will gladly pay him, as he is cutting me a heck of a deal, and I won't be able to get it fixed anywhere else in the near future due to lack of funds.

If we can get Cherokee to actually do something with it, fine.  If not, then I guess, I will have to work on that getting fixed as well, when I have the extra $$ to do it.

If this trailer would work like it is suppose to, which is has very rarely, I would absolutly love it!

Now, that I have explained a little bit about it. Please tell me more about these axles being bent?  What do you do to fix it?  Do you replace the axle, what?  How much does that run?  I am tired of changing tires!

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-11-10 1:41 PM (#70841 - in reply to #70784)

Expert

Some of this stuff should have been taken care of if it was under warantee, but most sounds like maintence issues.

Edited by Terri 2007-11-10 1:44 PM
misssexysixarun
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-11-10 1:48 PM (#70842 - in reply to #70841)

Regular

Originally written by Terri on 2007-11-10 1:41 PM

Some of this stuff should have been taken care of if it was under warantee, but most sounds like maintence issues.

Well I see you edited your post before I could reply?  The fridge has been serviced once a year.  Every trailer I have ever seen with a awning has a roller on the top of the door, just in case.  I was just curious why this one didn't.  The first trailer I had from the same conversion company had it?  The shower shouldn't have leaked from the get go.  I understand about the rugs, but it is turning black where there have never been rugs down.  I can't remember the rest of the stuff you posted about?

I tried to get it taken care of, as I posted in my previous thread.  All I got was the run around.

brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2007-11-10 2:05 PM (#70847 - in reply to #70775)

I am somewhat confused. Did the guy that did your coversion go out of business as you previously stated, or did he start doing them under a different name? Was it RVIA certified or was it like a homemade conversion. Before I get slammed, let me clarify, that I am not dissing homemade conversions since alot of them are super nice. I am however, trying to understand if the conversion was done incorrectly by a non professional conversion  company or by someone that was just incompetent at his craft.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-11-10 2:06 PM (#70848 - in reply to #70842)

Expert

I edited it because I read your next post adressing some of it.  Check the electric out let your frig is plugged into.  It may be bad and check for spider webs in the exhaust vents.  They could be blocking it and causing the odor and fumes to back up into the camper.
misssexysixarun
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-11-10 2:10 PM (#70849 - in reply to #70847)

Regular

Originally written by brushycreekranch on 2007-11-10 2:05 PM

I am somewhat confused. Did the guy that did your coversion go out of business as you previously stated, or did he start doing them under a different name? Was it RVIA certified or was it like a homemade conversion. Before I get slammed, let me clarify, that I am not dissing homemade conversions since alot of them are super nice. I am however, trying to understand if the conversion was done incorrectly by a non professional conversion  company or by someone that was just incompetent at his craft.

This whole thing is confusing! LOL!  The guy who did the conversion owned Windsor Interiors in IN.  I believe he sold the company shortly after this trailer was made.  Now he either has another company or works for one?  I think he owns this company, but I am unsure of the name or what?  I will find out the day after Thanksgiving as that is when I am taking the trailer to him.  He is RVIA Certified and was when this trailer was done.  I truely believe or joke that this was a "hang over Monday or let's get drunk Friday trailer".

If I had not talked with the salesman back in Oct.  I would not have known about any kind of warranty, and would be finding a way to fix it.  Now that I know about it, even though it is to late, he is helping me get it fixed at a reduced rate, which I am more then happy about.

misssexysixarun
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-11-10 2:13 PM (#70850 - in reply to #70848)

Regular

Originally written by Terri on 2007-11-10 2:06 PM

I edited it because I read your next post adressing some of it.  Check the electric out let your frig is plugged into.  It may be bad and check for spider webs in the exhaust vents.  They could be blocking it and causing the odor and fumes to back up into the camper.

Ok, I see.  I will let the guy I am taking it to check that stuff.  I was also told that I might need to take the fridge out and set it upside down for two days then reinstall?  They said that something gets clogged, and this will help it?  I have no clue on this, but I have heard of several people doing this???  It just started the not working on Electric this Labor Day.  The fumes started at the same time?  Strange.

CMEL8TR
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2007-11-10 3:06 PM (#70853 - in reply to #70783)

Originally written by misssexysixarun on 2007-11-09 2:58 PM

You really don't want to know!  I have had continus problems with this trailer!  Now after the warranty expires I find out it had one on it!

MISSSEXYSIXARUN....I FIND IT REAL FUNNY THAT YOU NO MORE THAN POST THE ABOVE QUOTE AND NOT A MINUTE LATER YOU ARE POSTING EVERYTHING THAT HAS HAPPENED TO YOUR TRAILER. WHAT HAPPENED? IT LOOKED LIKE YOU WERE GOING TO TAKE THE HIGH ROAD BUT THEN *WHAM* YOU DROP A BOMB. IF I WERE CHEROKEE AND YOU WERE ON HERE BASHING ME AFTER ONLY MAKING ONE CALL ON A DAY THAT THE GUY YOU NEEDED TO TALK TO WAS OFF IS JUMPING THE GUN IF YOU ASK ME. AT LEAST GIVE THEM A CHANCE TO SAY NO BEFORE YOU GO ON A PUBLIC FORUM AND START SOMETHING. I GUESS THAT YOU HAVEN'T LEARNED ANYTHING FROM OTHER PEOPLES POSTS AND ALL OF THE BASHING THAT GETS DONE ON HERE! IMHP
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-11-10 7:58 PM (#70873 - in reply to #70775)

Elite Veteran

Had a 2000 Cherokee Invasion and had ZERO issues. The LQ was done by a local company and the trailer held up extremely well to weekly use for 9 months out of the year. Sold it in 2005 for the same amount that was paid for it. Maintenance is required for any trailer brand.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-11-10 9:55 PM (#70875 - in reply to #70853)

Expert

Originally written by CMEL8TR on 2007-11-10 3:06 PM

Originally written by misssexysixarun on 2007-11-09 2:58 PM You really don't want to know!  I have had continus problems with this trailer!  Now after the warranty expires I find out it had one on it!
MISSSEXYSIXARUN....I FIND IT REAL FUNNY THAT YOU NO MORE THAN POST THE ABOVE QUOTE AND NOT A MINUTE LATER YOU ARE POSTING EVERYTHING THAT HAS HAPPENED TO YOUR TRAILER. WHAT HAPPENED? IT LOOKED LIKE YOU WERE GOING TO TAKE THE HIGH ROAD BUT THEN *WHAM* YOU DROP A BOMB. IF I WERE CHEROKEE AND YOU WERE ON HERE BASHING ME AFTER ONLY MAKING ONE CALL ON A DAY THAT THE GUY YOU NEEDED TO TALK TO WAS OFF IS JUMPING THE GUN IF YOU ASK ME. AT LEAST GIVE THEM A CHANCE TO SAY NO BEFORE YOU GO ON A PUBLIC FORUM AND START SOMETHING. I GUESS THAT YOU HAVEN'T LEARNED ANYTHING FROM OTHER PEOPLES POSTS AND ALL OF THE BASHING THAT GETS DONE ON HERE! IMHP

So,whatcha doin there,"CMEL8TR",working for Cherokee? Sounds like it.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-11-10 9:57 PM (#70876 - in reply to #70775)

Expert

Don't start feeling guilty,Christa.We bought a new Platinum with a few issues and because in good faith we trusted the people that sold it to us,we thought they'd be easy to work with.They weren't.They were liars,and we couldn't get much done after we took it off the lot.The problems often don't surface until you start using something.
misssexysixarun
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-11-10 11:21 PM (#70877 - in reply to #70775)

Regular

When I posted the "You don't Want to know" part, I didn't want to retype everything that was wrong with it.  When I hit "Sumbmit" I remembered that I had it on my computer at work, so then I posted it.

I am not bashing Cherokee in any way!  If I could buy one all over again, I would buy another, just have a different conversion company put it in.

Things go wrong with every brand of trailer.  I believe that Cherokee is a very well built brand.  I just happened to get a lemon of this brand.  They all have them.

I did not know it had this warranty on it up until LAST MONTH!  Or I would have taken it in long ago.  If indeed the warranty is from the date of purchase.  Well then, oh well.  I will have to find another way of fixing it.  If they will honor the warranty, even though it may have lapsed, then yeah for me.

I was mad at the dealership I talked to on this day, as they were VERY RUDE and not pleasant to talk to.

We will see what comes of my message that I left.  Maybe nothing, maybe something.  Time will tell.

dixie
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-11-12 11:08 AM (#70954 - in reply to #70775)

Veteran

I am a Cherokee dealer and that warranty is from the date that you bought it so find out the date and you have 5 years on the structure from that. However, that is just the frame not the lights and A/C I suggest calling Cherokee telling them when you bought it and telling them the situation with the dealer and see what they will do for you. As far as any problems in the LQ your dealer obviously sent it to the cheapest conversion company he could find and Cherokee isn't going to be able to help you with that other than maybe to refer you to a dealer who could help with the repairs. It sounds like your dealer didn't inform you very well about the warranty on the trailer because Cherokee does very well with their warranty. Of course of all the trailers we've sold we have had no warranty claims on any of our Cherokees. Good luck.
trailerldy
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-11-12 12:45 PM (#70967 - in reply to #70775)

Wow sound's like the trailer it's self is not the problem but the bad interior by the conversion company and the bad dealer you did business with! I have a Cherokee Super Chief with a conversion by Double H Conversions and love it....My salesperson was great and still is he gave me a business card with his cell phone and said to call if I had any questions or problems after regular business hours...he has taken my call for some pretty stupid things on my part...i.e not having lights b/c I forgot to turn the battery box on...senior moment...he helped me out and never laughed, just said call again if you need anything else....
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-11-12 1:07 PM (#70971 - in reply to #70967)

Expert

Bottom line is: sounds like the original dealer where you bought your trailer didn't want to work with you.Really evident by you saying they did not notify the conversion company.(Or so he says,according to the guy who did the conversion that you said you'd talked with.)

You are having problems because it is partly his fault for the conversion job he did.I know anything mechanical can tear up such as a faulty thermostat,the A/C being a piece of junk,ect.But I think you were told to "Deal with it?" Or "live with it" something along those lines? I'D told them in a hurry that THEY were going to be the ones "dealing with it" and IT would be my attorney,the BBB in that state,the attorney general's office and anybody else that would care to listen by the time I got through.

I am not so sure that I would want the guy who did the original conversion package to go back and try to patch things up at this point.Sounds as if he didn't do such a good job to begin with?

misssexysixarun
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-11-12 4:22 PM (#70995 - in reply to #70775)

Regular

The guy who did the LQ has done a lot of other trailers who my friends own.  They have had no problems with them.  The first LQ Trailer I owned, this guy did and I had no problems with it at all.  He is fully capable of fixing it.  The problem with my current trailer, as we have come to the conclusion is, he was in the process of selling his business to someone else, so they were changing hands and had different people working on the trailer.  I call it a "Hang over Monday or Let's get drunk Friday" trailer! LOL!

He is going to fix it for me and make it right.  He very well doesn't have to do this, or even at a reduced price on payments, but he is going to, as it has his name on it, and he wants me happy.

I would never think that Cherokee would be responsible for the LQ part.  So that is not in question.

According to the date I bought the trailer, the warranty is up thru Cherokee.  I am still waiting on a call back from the guy at Cherokee, to see what he says, if he may indeed help me out or not.  If not, then that is my fault for not checking into it sooner.  Live & Learn right.

I was only 23 when I purchased this trailer, and didn't know the in's and out's of all of this stuff.  Again, live & learn.  The trailer was in there as much as I could get it in there.  We were on the road every weekend to horse shows during this time and needed the trailer all the time.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-11-12 5:35 PM (#70998 - in reply to #70995)

Expert

Originally written by misssexysixarun on 2007-11-12 4:22 PM

The guy who did the LQ has done a lot of other trailers who my friends own.  They have had no problems with them.  The first LQ Trailer I owned, this guy did and I had no problems with it at all.  He is fully capable of fixing it.  The problem with my current trailer, as we have come to the conclusion is, he was in the process of selling his business to someone else, so they were changing hands and had different people working on the trailer.  I call it a "Hang over Monday or Let's get drunk Friday" trailer! LOL!

He is going to fix it for me and make it right.  He very well doesn't have to do this, or even at a reduced price on payments, but he is going to, as it has his name on it, and he wants me happy.

I would never think that Cherokee would be responsible for the LQ part.  So that is not in question.

Well,OK,whatever you think you need to do about that.Him selling his business to somebody else really wouldn't have anything to do with the quality of work that he was still responsible for overseeing,IMO.If it was still his business,and his conversion company,I don't think it should matter if he had Osama Bin Laden working on it,it should have been done up to his standards.But,whatever,go ahead with your plans and see  how he treats you on this one,may work out.

And I'm sorry,but,yes,if Cherokee sold you a trailer that included a conversion they'd jobbed out to someone else,they most certainly are responsible for the LQ part,when it was under warranty.Unless you bought a shell and took it to someone on your own for a conversion,a dealer is responsible for the type of work they are selling in their trailers.I have a problem in my LQ currently,and my dealer is working it out with Sierra.I'm not having to call Sierra and take care of it,my dealer is.

misssexysixarun
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-11-12 5:42 PM (#70999 - in reply to #70775)

Regular

The dealer is the one who sent it to the LQ company, not Cherokee.  I believe if Cherokee did it, it would have went to Dream Catchers, or whatever one they were using?  Not to Windsor.  So it was the dealer who sent it there.

Who knows, we will see.  I know he has done a nice job on a lot of other trailers including one that I used to own.  This one was a fluke and got messed up.  But at least he is willing to fix it, after all this time.  He doesn't have to.

Plus, I couldn't afford to get it fixed anywhere else at this time nor in the future, with my job and the economy in this state!

dixie
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-11-13 12:00 PM (#71073 - in reply to #70775)

Veteran

The Dream Catcher interior is actually done be Cherokee. Not real important info, but info none the less.
misssexysixarun
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-11-13 12:06 PM (#71075 - in reply to #71073)

Regular

I knew it was something like that! LOL!
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-11-13 3:09 PM (#71093 - in reply to #71073)

Expert

Originally written by dixie on 2007-11-13 12:00 PM

The Dream Catcher interior is actually done be Cherokee. Not real important info, but info none the less.

That's what I thought.That is why I said what I did to her about her dealer and Cherokee being responsible when it was under warranty to fix the conversion problems.

misssexysixarun
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-11-13 3:11 PM (#71094 - in reply to #70775)

Regular

But Dream Catcher did not do the Interior.  Windsor did it, in Indiana.

Cherokee just called me back and left me a message, I need to call him when I get out of work.  See what he has to say on the shell of the trailer.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-11-13 6:43 PM (#71117 - in reply to #71094)

Expert

Well,it's gone on so long and so many names have come up,you have to understand when you get my age,you can't quiet keep it all sorted out like I used to!!!
cutter4life
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-11-14 9:17 AM (#71161 - in reply to #70775)

Regular

I had a Cherokee Invasion and that thing went everywhere, no issues. As per the warranty, the warranty was as clear as day when I went to pick mine up. The dealer should have had you sign the warranty paperwork and he should have signed as well. The warranty on my Invasion was 5 years from the date of purchase. I do not believe the Axles or Jack were covered.

Not knocking your driving, but if the rear tire is constantly getting flat and cracking rims, are you driving over the curbs going around corners? I only ask because my 3H Invasion (no LQ) had 7,000lb axles on it, way more than what it needed!

misssexysixarun
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-11-14 9:26 AM (#71163 - in reply to #70775)

Regular

Nope, I have not hit a curb with it yet.  Sometimes when I look at that tire, it looks to be tipped in, then other times it looks fine.  Who knows?  Need to find somewhere they can put it up and check it out.

Cherokee did call me last night.  That guy is super nice.  He is going to see if he can get anything done with it, but he says it doesn't look good.

I appreciate him trying though.  Just wish I wouldn't have been so young and neive when I bought it and had paid attention or something.

Oh well, live & learn I guess.  At least I am getting the interior fixed for now.  That will make me happy!

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-11-14 9:51 AM (#71164 - in reply to #71163)

Expert

Still I say,and will continue to say,it wasn't your fault,it was the unprofessionalism and lack of concern and salesmanship,whatever else anybody wants to call it,on the PART OF THE DEALER>

As I posted earlier,we'd never bought a LQ trailer so didn't know squat about the warranty either,and I happened upon the warranty policy of paperwork being sent in within 30 days on Platinum's website.And happened upon the paperwork lying in the brush box in the rear tack door.A likely place for a buyer to look for warranty paperwork on a 38K trailer,wasn't it????

nincompoop dealerships.

dixie
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-11-14 12:40 PM (#71176 - in reply to #70775)

Veteran

I'm in agreement 100% that it was the dealers fault. What I find so amazing is how these dealers short change everyone and yet people still buy from them. And dealers like us try to go out of their way to inform customers and make sure they are taken care of before and after the sell and we loose sells to them because they cut corners on their trailers that we don't. Such as using a cheap conversion company. All I'm saying is be careful when choosing a dealer because you're not just choosing a trailer you're choosing that dealer too when you buy a higher dollar trailer. If you choose well any problems you have will be worked out if you choose wrong you'll have a hard time getting anything done.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-11-14 4:24 PM (#71206 - in reply to #71176)

Expert

we proved that case the second time we bought a trailer.First time we chose a crummy dealer and didn't get anything done.Second time around,we made sure we did our homework before the purchase.When one of the top dealers in the US (Dixie Horse and Mule) highly compliments a dealer (Jim's Motors in MO) it says a lot.And vice versa.So that first dealer can forget not only another purchase by us,although the trailer was a good one (Platinum w/Outlaw Conversion) but they can sure forget us ever having anything complimentary to say about them.
misssexysixarun
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-03-23 8:44 AM (#80165 - in reply to #70775)

Regular

Just to update you all.  I finally got my trailer back this past Friday.  It went down to the conversion guy the day after Thanksgiving.  I told him he could have it this long...

I now have a new fridge, a new floor, a new awning.  He got the heater working correctly, figured out the air conditioner so that works now.  He fixed my blinds and lights that were falling down.  He fixed the leaky shower.  Turned out I had a defective Shore Cord, so he replaced that and that in turn solved the problem of the converter, the fan in the bathroom and the lights in the horse compartment.  He fixed my escape door hinge so now I can use that.  He measured the axle and said it wasn't bent, but I am not sure that he measured it right now that I have talked to a couple other people.  He put a new two speed jack on the trailer.  Then he decided that he would put a power jack on it for FREE!  So I have a new power jack which I love.

All of this cost a total of $2300 and out of my pocket I spent $930.  The remainder the insurance covered as we claimed the awning on the insurance.

So I am very happy with what he did.  He made it right and I think he went above and beyond what he needed to do.  I am very greatful for this and I am so glad I was finally able to get in touch with him.  Now I have him on speed dial!  He was amazed that he had never heard from the dealer about any of this.

So now it is like I have a brand new trailer!  Yeah!

Just to figure out the axle or the tire deal now.  Thanks again for all your help.  Just figured I would update you on what had happened.