Where to Camp?
mrbotat
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-10-22 7:16 AM (#69740)
Subject: Where to Camp?

My family has agreed to go camping without the horses this time because we are meeting up with other family members who do not have them.  BUT..we would like to go to a stable and all go riding.  Possibly TN, North Carolina or Kentucky.  Would love to possibly white-water raft, hike etc.  ANY suggestions on where to go to do all this would be greatly appreciated?  Thanks!!! 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-10-22 8:07 AM (#69744 - in reply to #69740)
Subject: RE: Where to Camp?

Extreme Veteran

Double J Stables at Mammoth Cave, KY has campgrounds and paid, guided trail rides.  You can hike the trails right out of camp and there is lots of "touristy" stuff to do in the area.  Guntown Mountain in Cave City is fun.  Ky Down Under (also in Cave City)  has a wildlife preserve and museum.  And, of course, you will want to tour Mammoth Cave.

Since you are not planning to take your horses, I would probably choose to camp somewhere other than Double J.  There is a new camp just across the road called the D bar K.  It is very nice.  New, clean bath house.  Then you could just hop across the road to hike or ride.  The "bath house" at Double J is just a toilet and shower in the loft of the barn.

Cave City also has a cutesy roadside motel where all the rooms are built like teepees.  And I am sure there is a KOA campground there, also.

And you would only be a short drive from Bowling Green and the Corvette Museum if there are any car fanatics in your group.

KY/TN has been in terrible drought this summer, so rafting options may be limited.

Let us know where you decide to go.  It sounds like fun.

RIDE ON!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page