LBL
Timer2
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-09-27 9:48 AM (#68460)
Subject: LBL

Has anyone ever camped at Land Between the Lakes, Kentucky.  We are headed there in a couple of weeks and would like to hear opinions and tips.  Are the trails marked well???  Stuff along that line.  Thanks!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-09-27 12:07 PM (#68474 - in reply to #68460)
Subject: RE: LBL

Extreme Veteran

I have been there for years and the trails are well marked.  There are stalls available as well.  They fill up real fast this time of the year though. 
mcourtney
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-09-27 4:17 PM (#68487 - in reply to #68460)

New User

Wranglers is great- we live about 45 minutes from camp and go almost every weekend.  Very laid back and family frindley-if your looking for the party crowd this is NOT your place.  Trails marked very well, nice sites, lots of electric, but they do fill up quick on weekends.  You can download trail maps and campground layout at www.lbl.org under the recreation option. It isn't a bad idea to call ahead to make sure they aren't having a big ride or are booked up already- 270-924-2200.

kershawsowner
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-09-27 9:57 PM (#68501 - in reply to #68460)

Veteran

we love wranglers camp been there three times in the last month.. we live 2and half hours away.. trails are marked great,if you are going within the next couple of wks might be really busy (fall break for tn)..you can reserve some sites out front go to lbl.org and it will direct you.. if you go down later than wed you might not get stalls you can always call but they do not reserve stalls, there is a resturant pretty good food,basketball court for the kids, they have i think 11 cabins you can reserve also (no bathrooms) in cabins only drawback.. they do have 4 nice bathhouses they sale firewood and shavings if you dont bring (pricey)but still.they are having alot of trouble with skunks this yr they are not afraid of you at all..they run around camp like they are waiting for someone to invite them over..it is a pretty laid back crowd they want put up with alot of stuff dont know if that will change when willow creek shuts down or not have to see...i dont think so the guy in charge is not going to tolerate alot.. if it is wkends most of the louder crowds hang out in the back part (pines)...not alot of shade but nice level gravel pads with elect..  water is scatterd throughout and there is a few sites in the back with water elect and sewer (good luck on getting one) hope all this helps... we like it alot...happy trails  im leaving again this next wed - sun or mon downthere...
kershawsowner
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-09-27 9:58 PM (#68502 - in reply to #68460)

Veteran

one more thing i forgot there is nice tie post in concrete to put up a tie line at every site if you dont get stalls..
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2007-09-28 7:07 AM (#68513 - in reply to #68460)

Elite Veteran

We went 6/01 and while I agree that the trails are very nice, well marked, maps are accurate, resturant is handy, BUT the stalls leave a lot to be desired.

they are very small - really just standing stalls and no one bothers to clean them - we found dead mice in horses water buckets floating, took 3 full wheelbarrows full of wet shavings and manure to get them reasonably clean and the black flies were awful, couldn't even sit outside to socialize.

After 1 day, we put the horses on tie-outs and that was a big improvement. 

Hopefully they now make sure people clean the stalls and the black flies might not be an issue this time of year.....

j&j
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2007-09-28 5:44 PM (#68552 - in reply to #68460)

Veteran

I went to LBL once and it was a zoo. Traffic all day and all night, kicking up dust that covered everything. The trails were so-so, actually, kind of boring. Nothing I would ever return to.

j&j
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-09-30 2:37 PM (#68618 - in reply to #68460)

According to my buddy in Ky, Willow Creek is not closing down.
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-09-30 8:49 PM (#68638 - in reply to #68460)

Extreme Veteran

Hey Rose - I guess your "buddy in KY" would be me! 

I heard several rumors about Willow Creek last year, including one that they had been bought out by some Italian family and would only be open to hunters. 

We were there last Oct. and I asked the folks in charge about everything I had heard.  They told me there was no truth to any of it.  They don't know how these rumors got started, but they have no plans to close or sell.

If given a choice between LBL or WC - I would choose WC every time.  The riding is MUCH better.  You just want to be sure to choose a weekend when they are not having one of their organized rides.  Those rides tend to draw a party crowd.  Too many drunks for me...but then, I am not a drinker.

Wherever you end up, have fun and be safe.  Take lots of pics and share with us!

RIDE ON!

kershawsowner
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-09-30 10:27 PM (#68643 - in reply to #68460)

Veteran

i hope willow creek is not shutting down.. i heard a few people talking about it last wkend that they are shutting down the end of oct. and they are going to log the land or something... dont know if its true but these people sure seemed to know alot about it.... if you hear anything else on this please let me know... we are going back to lbl this wkend i will ask around some....lbl is already packed cant imagine if wcreek shuts down.... happy trails

my3horses
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-10-01 9:33 AM (#68654 - in reply to #68460)

Veteran

I have heard of Wrangler camp but not Willow Creek.  Where is that?  I have a friend who went to Wrangler and liked the grounds but also said the riding was pretty boring.  We typically ride Shawnee, most of the time in what we call "mule country-lots of rocks and bluffs."  One post said the riding was better at Willow Creek.  Love Shawnee but wouldn't mind seeing other parts of the area that are fairly close to us--south central Illinois.
robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-10-01 9:56 AM (#68658 - in reply to #68460)

Extreme Veteran

There are more challenging trails up there if you get off the marked trail.   These are all single file and have alot more scenery. 
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-10-01 10:16 AM (#68659 - in reply to #68460)

Extreme Veteran

my3 - Willow Creek is in Cadiz, KY (pronounced Kay-Deeze).   That's in extreme western KY outside of Paducah.  Shouldn't be too far from you.

The riding is not as challenging as the Shawnee NF but is MUCH more scenic than LBL.  They also have a restaurant on site that has good food for a reasonable price.

They have a website.  I don't know it off the top of my head, but you can google it.

RIDE ON!

my3horses
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-10-01 2:31 PM (#68671 - in reply to #68460)

Veteran

Thanks Dwight, 

I know where Cadiz is at.  I graduated from Murray State so I know the town names around there.  Just wasn't into horses back then and didn't realize there was a camp there.  You are right, that isn't too far from us.  We love Shawnee, but a change of scenery is nice.  Once again, thanks for the info.

iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-10-01 8:23 PM (#68699 - in reply to #68671)

Extreme Veteran

We love to go there but have'nt been going lately because they are checking for health papers . We live in TN and the camp is 4 miles into KY in fact some of the riding is in TN it is just another 25 dollars.
Issie
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2007-10-03 7:40 PM (#68794 - in reply to #68460)

Regular

LBL does have primitive sites available.  They have a few sites up front that are reservable, most are not.  They have told us, that normally they will find a spot to put you, but it will be primitive.  The riding is good, not great, we like to get off the trails that are marked, to have the one lane horse trails.  But that's us.  As for WC in Cadez, Ky, I'm hearing too that it's closing.  One permanent has contacted a campground in Shawnee and ask for a spot, because they are closing.  I heard same rumor, logging.  Never stayed at WC, but have friends that have stayed there and they loved it.  That friend would be you Rose!

Happy Trails

robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-10-03 8:48 PM (#68798 - in reply to #68460)

Extreme Veteran

We have heard all the rumors on Willow Creek as well. However, the main one we hear is that they are only closing for the winter and will open back in the spring. 

Forty
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-10-04 10:14 AM (#68810 - in reply to #68460)

A friend of mine has had a permanent spot at Willow Creek for several years.  He moved his equipment out last weekend for good because they are closing at end of year.  He is looking for another place for permanent campsite.  He assured me it is not just a rumor. 

Timer2
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-10-05 1:11 PM (#68868 - in reply to #68460)

Thanks for all the info everyone.  We had a family emergency so haven't been on line.  Sounds like my boys are going to have to go on a tie line.  I need a big stall for one of them.  I will have to double tie my escape artist.  So where is Willow Creek in comparison to Wranglers???  We aren't the loud party type.  A nice campfire with a few suds amongst friends.  Easier riding would probably be better for the people I am going with, myself....well I like a little challenge.  :)   But it will be good to just take it easy after this past year. LOL!  I will google Willow Creek.  I have plenty of firewood so not a big deal.  How is in and out access.  My trailer is 36' long????

Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-10-05 2:04 PM (#68871 - in reply to #68460)

Extreme Veteran

Trailer access at WC is very good.  Just be sure to get directions from the folks who work there.  MapQuest took us on some roads that were nearly impossible for a trailer.

WC is actually pretty close to LBL.

I would not say the trails are overly difficult, just more interesting than LBL  

Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-10-05 2:16 PM (#68873 - in reply to #68460)

Extreme Veteran

If I can get this picture to attach, you can see that the sites are very roomy.  Also some shots from the trail showing the fall colors from last Oct. 

Edited by Dwight 2007-10-05 2:25 PM
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-10-05 10:04 PM (#68891 - in reply to #68460)

Dwight......That was a good trip.....love those pix
Timer2
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-10-24 9:23 PM (#69945 - in reply to #68460)

Just thought I would tell a little about LBL.  We went, we rode, we liked it.   Of course, no one warned us about the skunks or the horse eating wagons.  LOL!  As someone said though cleaning stalls after an 8 hour drive wasn't fun.  According to the check-in people they had 6200 horses there that just pulled out on Sunday.  In fact, our campsite still had smoldering logs in the fire pit.  The stalls were decent size.  My horse is nearly 16h, so a little bigger stall would have been nice for him.  It rained two nights so the covered stalls were a blessing.  Our friends didn't have hind shoes on their horses and wished that they had put them on, a bit rocky.  We didn't do the 20 mile trail but the other ones were all ridden by us.  The trails weren't challenging but considering the horses we had with us it was a good thing.  My horse competes so he was in the best shape.  With the temps being in the 70's and our horses already with winter hair they had a sweat going.  We had fun and would go back again.  Maybe next year we will try out Willow Creek.  My hubby will have to have his horse in better shape than he did or he won't make it.  Wish we could have waited another week so we could have enjoyed the color change.  But like I said, we had fun and definitely would go back again.
kershawsowner
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-10-25 3:07 PM (#69996 - in reply to #68460)

Veteran

you must of missed my post i warned of the skunks...they are really bad there this yr...hope they do something about it.soooonnnnn..wcreek is shutting down dont think it will be there next yr.. the worst things about lbl and we have been going every yr since 91 is the stalls being bad when you get there,and you cant reserve stalls but you can sites that is just crazy to me we go all over and it is the only place you cant reservere your stalls with your sites...now when we go if we get really bad stalls and there are some empty not so bad we go up and change our stalls over.. i wish someone would contract those barns out i would be willing to pay ten bucks for a clean stall with sawdust in it any day... happy trails
Timer2
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-10-29 10:37 PM (#70195 - in reply to #68460)

Yep, went back and read your post about the skunks.  We stayed in the "Pines".  Initially I was hoping more up towards the front but it turned out well.  We were camped right next to our stalls and across from some "long term" sites.  Not to far from the bathrooms and showers.  Skunks didn't bother me, my friend and my husband wasn't thrilled.  LOL!  I have been to Shawnee before.  We will either go back to LBL next year or find another "warm" spot.