Need to trailer a horse from Omaha NE to either PA or AZ
azmusclecar
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-09-23 11:31 PM (#68303)
Subject: Need to trailer a horse from Omaha NE to either PA or AZ

My cousin in law has suffered a traumatic brain injury and has decided to give me her Arabian stallion. The horse is located in Omaha Nebraska. I live in both Arizona and Pennsylvania. I do have a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Quadcab 5.9 Cummins with 220,000 miles on it. It is basically stock.I have owned horses before but never trailered one. I have a few questions and hope someone can help.Would I be wise to rent a trailer or buy one?Would I be wise to just have someone trailer the horse for me?How much would that cost apprx?If I do trailer the horse myself, how many miles or hwo long can I trailer the horse in a day? Are there some "horse freindly" routes I can take? I noticed on I-40 I saw a rest area with a few round pens. Are there any other routes like that?The horse's overall health and condition are my utmost concerns. I'm not on any kind of schedule but don't want to delay unnecessarily.Thanks to anyone who can help.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Lobo
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2007-09-24 2:33 AM (#68304 - in reply to #68303)
Subject: RE: Need to trailer a horse from Omaha NE to either PA or AZ

Regular

Will you be keeping the horse in Az. or Pa.? 
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-09-24 9:03 AM (#68313 - in reply to #68303)

Expert

I have done something similar, coggins test, health certificate in order, first off.  I have used a stock trailer, bedded well and turned horse loose in front compartment, offering water during the drive every couple of hours or so.  If I needed to stop, have just let that box stall in the trailer be his stall, hung water and tossed hay on the floor (no hay net to get tangled in) and went on my way next day, removing bucket and hanger.  If the horse is very broke and manageable, have unloaded at fairgrounds and either hand walked or did turn out in the fairgrounds arena, and hand grazed a bit there etc, and loaded up and went on.  There are many horse overnight places, depending on your route as well.  Alot depends on the broke and sensible attitude of the stallion, and your own experience level.  Some horse overnight places might not have stallion safe confinement for him, but many will.  If you make reservations at these places, be certain to advise them he is a stallion up front.  Good luck on your journey.  I was pulling a gooseneck stock trailer with a 1-ton.  If you can rent lease or borrow a trailer ( with the caveat that should any damage occur, you are responsible) that might be one solution.
rsandi5218
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-09-24 9:17 AM (#68318 - in reply to #68303)

You could buy a nice used trailer in NE and come to AZ and sell it in the Phoenix metro area and make probably money on it. You could haul that distance non-stop with a second driver without any harm to the horse.
azmusclecar
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-09-24 11:25 AM (#68321 - in reply to #68304)

Originally written by Lobo on 2007-09-24 12:33 AM

Will you be keeping the horse in Az. or Pa.?
I am a snowbird so depending on when I pick up the horse...wintering in Az and summering in PA.
azmusclecar
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-09-24 11:26 AM (#68322 - in reply to #68318)

Originally written by rsandi5218 on 2007-09-24 7:17 AM

You could buy a nice used trailer in NE and come to AZ and sell it in the Phoenix metro area and make probably money on it. You could haul that distance non-stop with a second driver without any harm to the horse.
Now there's an idea I like.......thanks
azmusclecar
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-09-24 11:30 AM (#68323 - in reply to #68313)

Originally written by flyinghfarm on 2007-09-24 7:03 AM

I have done something similar, coggins test, health certificate in order, first off. I have used a stock trailer, bedded well and turned horse loose in front compartment, offering water during the drive every couple of hours or so. If I needed to stop, have just let that box stall in the trailer be his stall, hung water and tossed hay on the floor (no hay net to get tangled in) and went on my way next day, removing bucket and hanger. If the horse is very broke and manageable, have unloaded at fairgrounds and either hand walked or did turn out in the fairgrounds arena, and hand grazed a bit there etc, and loaded up and went on. There are many horse overnight places, depending on your route as well. Alot depends on the broke and sensible attitude of the stallion, and your own experience level. Some horse overnight places might not have stallion safe confinement for him, but many will. If you make reservations at these places, be certain to advise them he is a stallion up front. Good luck on your journey. I was pulling a gooseneck stock trailer with a 1-ton. If you can rent lease or borrow a trailer ( with the caveat that should any damage occur, you are responsible) that might be one solution.
The stallion is well broke, well seasoned and well traveled having been trailered all over the US to shows. Thanks for the reminder about the stallion safe confinement. I've always had mares and geldings. I'm glad I found this website...lots of useful info and lots of helpful people too.
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-09-24 8:44 PM (#68350 - in reply to #68303)

Extreme Veteran

Your Welcome, Same user name as on DTR.........it is very helpful and some nice folks on here.