Favorite and least favorite horse camps in Shawnee
mud_dog
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2007-09-01 12:51 PM (#67002)
Subject: Favorite and least favorite horse camps in Shawnee

Regular

What is everyone's favorite and least favorite horse camps in Shawnee, and most importantly, why?  We want to take some friend there and hope they have a good time.  We have been to two of the horse camps, but I won't mentions which ones because I don't want to infuence anyone.  thanks
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
whoaboy
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-09-01 7:37 PM (#67008 - in reply to #67002)
Subject: RE: Favorite and least favorite horse camps in Shawnee

Regular

I have only been to Bear Branch (several times) and I like it because I have to have a cabin (no living quarter trailer!) and they are one of just a few that offer that. That said, the cabins are fairly nice as far as horse camp cabins go. They also have a restaurant with good and very reasonably priced food which I need and they have stalls for your horses in a barn. All these things I need so they fit the bill. They also have a tack store and nice bathroom/shower house for those that need or want them. The campground itself is not wonderful as far as beauty per se as it is locted on a hill and the campsites aren't secluded as such but I think it is fine. I "toured" several others when I stayed at Bear one time and after seeing several of them...Bear is 5 star! Wow, some were really run down and of course no stalls or restaurant. I have been looking at Double M though and now that they say they have a restaurant and some pens for your horses...that might be a place to try. Now...for the trails...the most beautiful riding I have done and the most trecherous, however that was when they had a guide. They stopped having that and the trails are "marked". (not good enough for me!) It is so big and so trecherous and with the supposed marked trails, I could not get to half the places I had been with a guide, therefore people will miss some of the best places there are. (and because they keep closing off more and more of the best scenic places due to the tree huggers!) JMHO
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-09-03 2:48 PM (#67079 - in reply to #67002)

Extreme Veteran

We have stayed at Bear Branch once and will not go back.  We chose it because, at that time we had no LQ anad they do have the cabins.  The cabin was filthy.  The people who ran the camp were less than friendly.  The trails were EXTREMELY challenging and unmarked.

Several years later we went to One Horse Gap Horse Camp and fell in LOVE with the Shawnee Forest.  OHG is a small camp run by very nice folks who bent over backwards to please their guests.  The trails were still not marked but we went out with a guide each day and saw some gorgeous scenery.  There was no barn at that time (they may have built one by now) but they had panel pens set up in the shade.  The 2 stall bath house was very clean and the food was good.  They even had a small hot tub to soak your weary bones in!  *Aahhh*

I have read good things aobut Hayes Canyon, but if I get the chance to go back to the Shawnee, I will probably return to OHG.

RIDE ON!

Edited by Dwight 2007-09-03 7:01 PM
kershawsowner
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-09-03 6:58 PM (#67089 - in reply to #67002)

Veteran

we went to hayes canyon last yr.. really liked it..this yr we are going to 34 ranch.never been there but some other people we are going with have... happy trails
Issie
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2007-09-03 10:28 PM (#67104 - in reply to #67002)

Regular

Well I've stayed at Bear Branch twice and it was ok.  They really had us packed in there.  But we had a good time.  We now stay at Little Lusk campground, big campground, they have a lodge with rooms, kitchen, big screen TV, washer/dryer.  Nice lodge, you can rent the rooms, bed/bathroom, or the whole lodge.  They have barn stalls, or you can picket.  They have a swimming area, and fishing area.  Very nice owner, easy, easy, easy to get along with.  The riding is good, you can see secret canyon, natural bridge, salt peters cave, indian kitchen, from Little Lusk.  The trails are being marked now and there is a map available.  But usually, there is someone in the camp that will be glad for you to ride along with them.  I have met the people that own OHG campground, and they are very nice.  High Knob has great riding just right out of the campground, but the campgrond is in the sun totally.  Hayes Canyon is a nice campground, and the riding is good out of there, they have alot of permanent campers, so they are usually alot of people there. I just talk to some people and they love Bay Creek Campground.  I have ridden that area and it is beautiful, but haven't stayed at campground.  I don't think any of them are bad.  34 Ranch will have some great riding out of there, the campground is big, but I just wasn't crazy about the looks of the campground.  But have not stayed there, so really don't and should not have an opinion.  Double M, is nice, have day parked there, and rode out of there, seemed like a really nice campground and the riding was good.  Very hard to tell you which one to pick.  Oh and theres' Circle B, it's small, and I don't know the owners.  Good luck on making your choice, but which ever one you pick I'm sure you will enjoy the riding.  Happy Trails 
robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-09-03 10:55 PM (#67107 - in reply to #67002)

Extreme Veteran

We have camped at Hayes, Circle B, Bear Branch, Little Lusk, and one other one that I can't recall.  I personally like Little Lusk best of all.  The lodge is nice and the riding around there is good as well. 
Shari
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-09-04 12:53 PM (#67148 - in reply to #67002)

Veteran

Been to Bear Branch ( Don't like the owner, Bay Creek (nice owners seemed nice, sites are very un level. But will go back there), Double M ( we go there a lot, I think because we're familiar with the trails. Owner very nice, showers could use a little work but I don't use them), High Knob ( been there once, heading there Thursday- good riding out of the camp, we've heard it can be a party place on the holidays, but we stay away from there during that time) 34 Ranch nice flat campground but he hasn't joined in with the forest service system yet so his trails won't be marked very good. when we were there if we didn't hook up with someone we probably wouldn't have made it out of camping area just go in circles. his map isn't worth a nickle. Ride on a lot of private property. haven't been back. Been to Giant City State Park, it's nice.
You will enjoy the riding anywehere you go, some of it is ruff but worth the scenery. I heard some ran into bees over this past week end so be careful. Don't forget run off the path into weeds to knock any bees that might be oh horses legs and keep running. I've read where they might chase you up to 1/2 mile. I think you only have problems with the bees when your in a big group. My husband and I very seldom get into them.
Happy Safe Trails
whoaboy
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-09-04 1:35 PM (#67151 - in reply to #67002)

Regular

Amen to the bee's this time of year (fall), especially when riding in a group. Somebody is bound to disturb them along the trial and wow, that can add to some excitement as it is rough enough terrain that trying to get off the trail or outrun them is very difficult and prone to causing more accidents than I care to recall! That is why I like spring there better, well, except for if they have had alot of rain and then you are in mud up to your hocks and the rocks are nice and slippery! (not nice when you are on a bluff)
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2007-09-04 8:56 PM (#67180 - in reply to #67002)

Extreme Veteran

We have ridden the River to River trail from the Mississippi to the Ohio several times. Some of the best trails in the Midwest. We are partial to Hayes Canyon. Really dislike Bear Branch. Circle B is nice as is High Knob and Double M and Bay Creek. Bay Creek has relatively new owners. Don't know anything about them.

The trails are getting better and better. The forest service is building new ones all of the time and expanding the trail system. The markings are great and easy to follow. Yes, there are a lot of trails that are not on the map and you have to know someone to navigate them.
barkerclaudia
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-09-04 9:48 PM (#67184 - in reply to #67002)

If you like the Shawnee you will lOVE Big South Fork NRRA.  This is the most horse friendly places around.  Check our our website: www.bigsouthforklodge.com where you camp with your horses (no community barn) and you have direct access to the best trails around. 

ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-09-05 12:27 PM (#67239 - in reply to #67002)

Elite Veteran

Stayed at Circle B in 2005. Nice small campground with outdoor tubular pens. Kinda tight for long LQs, but we managed. Hosts were very nice. Trails were not marked when we there so spent several days "lost" trying to find the points of interest such as Salt Peter Cave, Indian Cave etc.

Heard some of the good trails have been closed. Definately would take a GPS to find your way back. Area is gorgeous and we plan on going back next year. Going to try High Knob since it is closer to some areas we want to check out like Garden of the Gods. You Might want to look at the current trail map from the US Forest Website and plan what areas you would like to visit and then stay at the closest camp.

Shari
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-09-05 9:57 PM (#67299 - in reply to #67002)

Veteran

Heading to High Knob tomorrow. Hope we make it to Garden of the Gods, last time we were there rode that way but didn't find it.
Happy Safe Trails
Shari
my3horses
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-09-07 12:24 PM (#67412 - in reply to #67002)

Veteran

Just wondering if you found Garden of the Gods.  We have ridden there several times from High Knob.  Thinking about going down this weekend but weather is scaring us away for now--we are only about 2 1/2 hours.  High Knob is very primitive but by far some of the most beautiful riding.  Owners are new but very friendly and interested in updating the place.  Been to Bay Creek since new owners--it was a fiasco--a little to uptype for our group  (we are not big partiers).  Got the feeling that the permanent campers saw us as riff raff.  Have stayed in the cabins at Bear Branch. I agree with previous post about them being dirty.  Barn was nice.  We found trails well marked for the most part.  My husband and I got around with little trouble--neither of us know the area.

appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2007-09-07 3:55 PM (#67430 - in reply to #67002)

Veteran

We prefer Hayes Canyon. Nice sites, clean showers, free pens with your site. Checked out several others, Bear Branch didn't impress me. We rode through from Hayes. Sites were tight together, and barn was away from your site. I've heard the resturant was good (BB), but never made it.
We stayed at Little Lusk 3 years ago. NICE campground, great owners, everything was VERY CLEAN!!! I didn't like the 15 minute ride to get to the trails. Not as much scenery as Hayes, but for camping it was nice. I have heard High Knob is good riding, but we drove over there and the sites are all in the sun (except the permanent). I'd like to try it someday though.
Hayes does have permanent campers, but still plenty of space for us vacationers.
As for the trail conditions, trecherous? We rode ALOT of trails to alot of places, nothing trecherous to me. Maybe a couple of tricky areas, but I never felt unsure of myself or horse. My son was 6 the first year we went, and yes he rode his own horse. Guess it depends on what your used to riding. For us, the hillier the better. I don't like to ride flat trails, hills for me!!
Make sure to shoe all the way around, its VERY rocky there!
Check out Trail Rider Magazine, they have some good ideas there too.
Hayes Canyon was featured on the best of america by horseback (RFD TV). It didn't do the campground justice, it's much better than that.
Wish I were going soon, have fun!
mud_dog
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2007-09-09 8:11 AM (#67495 - in reply to #67002)

Regular

Thanks for all the replies...except for the person who tried to hijack my thread to advertise their campground at Big Southfork. I don't care for that. If you' notice I didn't ask about BSF. I'm from TN, and when I camp at BSF, I go to Bandy Creek for a bunch of very good reasons. Now I'll tell you where I stayed in the past. Bear Branch and Little Lusk. Liked Little Lusk better, although I will say I had more trouble navigating the trails there. Seems like we always ended up on a paved road to nowhere. We also looked at Hays and at the time it seemed too big and too dirty, but that was many years ago and may be cleaner now. Which camp has the prettiest riding? I have looked at some of the websites and am a little confused because I don't know which end of the forest they are on.
Shari
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-09-09 6:06 PM (#67535 - in reply to #67002)

Veteran

We just got back from High Knob. Had a wonderful time. Beautiful riding right out the back door you can be at the bluffs. Within 30 min. your too some caves and more bluffs. We didn't make it to Garden of the Gods. On our way we saw some big rocks and turned on that trail and went along the bluffs and we think whisky cave, got "lost" for about 40 min. and ended up at Buzzards Point, That's where we wanted to go just took a little detour on the way. Loved how quick you can get to some very secnic places. Only 2 campers and some permanent people. We're thinking on going back this week end. We had beautiful weather too. Had a little mist Fri. afternoon, and during the night last night it rained.
Happy Trials
my3horses
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-09-10 12:58 PM (#67592 - in reply to #67535)

Veteran

Shari-When you go back to High Knob, you must ride through Rice Hollow--absolutely beautiful.  I ride with a guy who has ridden through Shawnee for years, back when they allowed to ride through in jeeps.  It says it is the prettiest hollow in Shawnee.  It's a 4-5 hour round trip from High Knob-we stop and rest and visit a lot!  We don't get in much of a hurry when we are down there.

Shari
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-09-12 7:12 AM (#67724 - in reply to #67002)

Veteran

I think we rode rice hollow and wiskey cave. Then we wanted to go back to Buzzards Point. Made a few wrong turns, ended up at gates for private property and had to turn around.(40 min. detour) Found another trail and we ended up at Buzzards Point, no idea how. I wish they would get a little better putting there signs up. We noticed when we came out on the river to river they didn't even have a sign pointing to Buzzards, you would have no idea unless you choose to go up on the trail. THat's like Rice, no signs. Told my husband I need to get a job down there putting up signs, so people know when there are at a place of interest and how to get there. You can tell the government is involved, done poorly.LOL.
But we still injoy it. Headed back down tomorrow, Cedar Lake or High Knob.
Happy Trails
my3horses
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-09-12 8:56 AM (#67729 - in reply to #67002)

Veteran

Cedar Lake is nice too.  I talked to some folks this weekend that said they had a lot of trouble last year with rangers around Bear Branch.  They were fined $100/horse for allowing their horses to drink out of the river.  They were at an approved horse crossing, but weren't supposed to allow them to drink.  I understand about getting lost.  I go with someone who knows the area and we still get lost sometimes.  We always have our hat lights with us, just in case and have had to use them several times.  Often times getting lost allows you to find the most beautiful spots.  I am jealous-the beautiful weather is already making me want to take the day off and go riding, and I teach school so I have only been back to work for two weeks!

pawprint
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-09-14 10:18 PM (#67901 - in reply to #67002)

New User

just to clarify - the guys who were ticketed last year was for going into Lusk Creek at an UNAUTHORIZED location to water their horses -- they went into the water and then turned back around and came out the same bank, said they thought it was only illegal to CROSS there and didn't understand that they weren't supposed to go in the river at all there.  It's still perfectally legal to water your horse at an authorized crossing. And it's only the stretch of Lusk Creek inside the wilderness boundary that has such strict restrictions on the crossings.
Shari
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-09-16 1:50 PM (#67985 - in reply to #67002)

Veteran

Just got back from Cedar Creek, it was ok, not my favorite. Really doubt if we go back there. Left there Saturday morning and drove over to Fern Cliff St. Park to camp for the night. We rode most of that trail and it was nice. We would go back there. We didn't ride over to the Cedar Bluff area because the ranger said you have to ride along the rode for about 3 miles. We didn't want to do that. It was a good week end and PERFECT weather.
Happy Trials
my3horses
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-09-17 8:53 AM (#68013 - in reply to #67901)

Veteran

Thanks for the clarification!
Issie
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2007-09-23 5:57 PM (#68289 - in reply to #67002)

Regular

Just got back from Shawnee today, had some great rides.  We hauled over to the 9 day campground (it is not available for weekend camping) 1 year ride, anyway, we rode over to One horse Gap, and then in an area called Rockey Top, and over to what they now call High Point and then over toward 34 Ranch,  An absolutely beautiful ride.  So, I figure there's some really good riding out of 34 Ranch.  The problem with the Shawnee is you need to ride with someone to really see the really GREAT stuff .  However High Knob seems to be the easiest to get to the pretty stuff quicker, you can ride on the River to River right over to Garden of the Gods, from High Knob.  We've been riding the Shawnee for 5 years and still seeing new things, absolutely amazing to me.  I love it.  And I love Little Lusk, but we ride out of there alot, and know the area.  

Happy Trails

my3horses
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-09-24 8:13 PM (#68346 - in reply to #68289)

Veteran

High Knob is beautiful.  Hoping to get down there this weekend if the weather cools a bit.  It is Fall so it needs to start feeling like it.  Hubby and I took a night ride this past weekend on trails near our house.  I love riding at night-moon was high enough to cast shadows.  Still longing for Shawnee, though.
Timer2
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-09-27 9:44 AM (#68458 - in reply to #67002)

I love Shawnee and agree with most.  I believe I stayed at Hayes Campground.  Met a wonderful guide (we were lost) and befriended him and his girlfriend.  Steve and Carolyn.  I have since lost contact with them.  If you want to really see Shawnee find those two.  THey know Shawnee, they are locals.  I was fortunate to see all the places mentioned and have some great pictures.  I am glad to hear they are adding more trails.  The bees were out and about in Sept. when we went.  Had to get into the tall grass once to avoid getting stung.  I had a great time! 
FarmGirl
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-10-11 10:19 AM (#69219 - in reply to #67002)

I've been to Shawnee several times and have stayed at Bear Branch, Little Lusk Trail Lodge, 34 Ranch and have tent camped at Giant City (unfortunately our trailer doesn't have LQ, so we usually stay somewhere w/cabins or lodge). Bear Branch is okay - nice because of the restaurant and you have access to some decent trails. Little Lusk is my favorite place to stay, but I agree with the other posts that you must ride a while before you get to the scenic trails. 34 Ranch was okay too but they didn't have the bridle tags to buy, so I'm not even sure it was legal to ride the trails there. The ride out to One Horse Gap from 34 Ranch was a really nice ride though. If you have LQ, the trails at Giant City are superb and the horse campground is very nice too. Nice heated shower house w/flush toilets, so you're really not roughing it. The trail there is a 12-mile loop that is very well marked. You ride through some nice bluffs and you can go off the main trail and ride down into a cave. There are some nice hills and I think the trail is very scenic. Hope you & your friends have a nice ride!