Formaldehyde, etc.
racesarabhorses
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2007-08-11 12:18 PM (#65615)
Subject: Formaldehyde, etc.

Veteran

Noticed the news stories about FEMA trailers that had excessive amounts of formaldehyde, and am concerned about my trailer's insulation (foam type.) One of the LQ installers I talked to says he uses bubble wrap insulation. Is this possibly because the foam board insulation has hazardous chemicals in it? I don't have anything covering the foam board, and probably will not finish the inside of my trailer. Is this stuff safe, or am I better off to put bubble wrap (which is only aluminum foil and plastic bubbles) in the trailer? ... starting to question the healthfulness of my trailer as it is currently configured, especially with all the heat we've had (releases chemicals in the foam insulation)...

On closer inspection, I see that cotton or wool insulation (such as Thermafleece) is an option.  Has anyone ever considered this for use inside a horse trailer?  Seems like it would be a very safe way to go, health-wise. 

Thank you, Mike

Edited by racesarabhorses 2007-08-11 12:43 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Covert Cowboy
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-08-11 1:43 PM (#65619 - in reply to #65615)
Subject: RE: Formaldehyde, etc.

Regular

I can't give you an answer, but I look at it this way...

The stories about the FEMA trailers came out relatively quickly after they were put into mass use. Horse trailers have been in mass use for a lot longer. By now, if there was anything harmful coming out of the insulation I think we would know it.

Also, another thing to consider... are the FEMA trailers inspected and certified (I would think they are, but maybe they are not because of how quickly they were needed)? Most LQ trailers are certified and safety inspected. TR Arnold does Sundowner trailers, for example.

threeman
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-08-11 4:42 PM (#65623 - in reply to #65615)

Extreme Veteran

just something else for our dumba$$ politicians to spend some more money on. the gov is so corrupt and the media exploits it. the american people are too dumb to realize the media is a tool for the gov. mobile homes have had excessive amounts of the junk in them for years in the new carpet. most all campers, LQ, etc have it too. nothing new but now we are havin to put all of those people in another home. dont get me wrong SOME of them do deserve it for sure. the crap (thugs) should have been buried with the ruble when clean up started.

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-08-12 9:58 PM (#65693 - in reply to #65615)

Expert

Those trailers were not ment to be lived in.  If used as intended exposoure to anything would be minimal.  Two years is a long time to still be living in a small trailer.   

Not to get political here, but I think they should have taken responsibility for their own lives by now.  Helping is fine, but they shouldn't be waiting for the government to fix their problems.  We've lost a house to a hurricane and tornado and we paid for our own insurance and took care of ourselves.  No one did it for us.

Ok, I feel better now.  Sorry!

gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-08-13 1:28 PM (#65741 - in reply to #65615)

Expert

The formaldehyde is also in the glues used to assembly mobile homes and trailers.

That is why I went with screws.

My daughter would be sick every winter when we lived in a VERY nicely made mobile home for 2 years. It had typical fiberglass insulation (with 2x6 construction walls), but it was the glues used to hold the paneling on that made her sick.