Exiss Trailers
Horsey Girl
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-08-09 12:51 PM (#65488)
Subject: Exiss Trailers

New User

Can anyone tell me if they have an Exiss horse trailer?  I'm looking at a 2006 - 3 horse slant load model 304 with living quarters.  Do you like the quality of the trailer?  How does it compare to say 4-Star or Sundowner?  Thanks so much. 
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Turnnburn64
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-08-09 1:09 PM (#65491 - in reply to #65488)
Subject: RE: Exiss Trailers

Is it a sport or event?

I have an 03 ss300 event and love the trailer...I bought the event because of the construction..they are construted and reinforced differently than the sport. I learned that here on HTW...that is why I bought the event. If you are not going to be hauling alot than the sport should be OK....I know several folks that own the sports with LQ and the ones that haul alot have problems...

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-08-09 2:08 PM (#65495 - in reply to #65488)

Expert

I have a 2000 exiss( event) 3H with weekender. I really like my trailer. I can't fault it much. Based on its age and it was used, there are some minor things that I can easily fix/repair but not because its a crappy unit,some thigns just need to be replaced. I can cleaner her up,hooker on the truck, load my horses, off I go. Its seen many a mile with me and has yet to disappoint.

I cannot compare it to a sundowner or a 4-star but I can only assume they are good trailers since you see them all over the place.

The majority of trailers out there are good, safe and reliable rigs fit for the job. I shopped not by brand but the value- the stuff I wanted at a price I could afford. if this trailer had been a Sundowner, I'd still be pleased. As it is, its an Exiss and I couldn't be happier.

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-08-09 3:32 PM (#65503 - in reply to #65488)

Expert

We also have an Event 3H 10LQ, 8 wide.  It has been excellent for us, hauling in a variety of terrain and surfaces.  The horse compartment floor looks new, still with average maintainence.  Have truly been pleased with every feature of the trailer.  Look each trailer over as an individual, as on any given day an error can be made in any brand new from the factory.  We do love ours, have also a CM brand, a Sundowner, as well, and friends who have 4-star and lots of others. Look at the trailer as it suits You and Your needs.......good luck trailer shopping!
Linda Y
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-08-09 6:35 PM (#65513 - in reply to #65488)

Extreme Veteran

I love my little Exiss. Someone else was asking in another post, and as I said there the only problem I had with mine was a dropdown window. The company replaced BOTH of them and arranged for installation at no cost to me. Can't beat that! I almost have the LQ the way I want it, and have really enjoyed the trailer. For the price, it is a good trailer.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-08-09 7:42 PM (#65515 - in reply to #65488)

Expert

We have an Exiss Event XT312 with LQ done by Sierra Conversions,and we love ours.
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-08-09 8:51 PM (#65519 - in reply to #65488)

Extreme Veteran

I have an Exiss Event 412 with Sierra Big Sky LQ. We had an issue in the beginning but all is well and no problems since. Really like the trailer and love the LED lighting. Would buy another one.
Maximizer
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-08-09 8:53 PM (#65520 - in reply to #65488)

I see everybody so far loves there Exiss..  I bought a brand new Exiss in 03.  It was an Express.  3 horse with unfinished lq's, 4 ft shortwall.  It was the worst trailer I have every owned..  It started leaking about 1 year into owning it..  Took it back to the dealer multiple times and they never could fix it.. They went out of business and I wasn't going to go to the next Exiss dealer because it was too far away. Price of fuel you know, plus have many tries does it take to get it fixed..  The quality just wasn't there.  The reason you see so many on the roads is because they are cheaper..  I sold my 2003 and bought a 1998 4 horse 4 star with finished LQ's.  The 4 star is far superior to the Exiss.  If you can afford something else even if its a little older your better off..  4 Star is one of the better trailers.. There are other good ones too..   I  talked to multiple people in my quest for my current trailer and told them my trailer leaked and before I told them the brand they said you must have bought an Exiss.   Exiss in my area doesn't have a good reputation..

Edited by Maximizer 2007-08-09 8:54 PM
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-08-09 11:23 PM (#65536 - in reply to #65520)

Expert

Exiss doesn't have a good reputation partly because all the negative posters with previous problems with one come out of the woodwork on here every time the name "Exiss" get mentioned,might be one reason.

I bet you if I posted a negative post about a 4Star,and the problems I had with it,there would be 20 posts telling about those problems with a 4 Star that those posters have had for every one good one.Or just about any other trailer.

Just like in life,you are going to hear the bad  10-1 to the good,if there is anything at all to tell about someone or something.

You didn't like your Exiss,so,you got rid of it.I'm glad to hear it.I personally love mine,whether yours or anybody else's 4Star is superior to it, (in your opinion and theirs)or not.

My friend had a new Hart that she paid out the wazoo for,and it leaked like a sieve.Traded for a Bloomer and one of the windows fell off while going down the road.Later got another trailer and one of the back doors(fortunately the tack) flew open while she was exiting an offramp.WHen she pulled over,the latch had broken and the hinges were bent,and she had to wire the door shut for the remainder of the trip.A new trailer.

Guess what brand? It was a 4Star.

RoperChick
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-08-10 1:18 AM (#65540 - in reply to #65488)

Veteran

I agree, I would buy an Event but not a Sport.  We have a 2000 Exiss Event, we really like our trailer.  It has a lot of miles on it, and it's been a great trailer, we would definitely purchase another Event.

Four stars are good trailers, but you will pay a lot of money for them.  Personally, I'm not a big fan of Sundowners, if you compare the space between the rivets, floor joists, quality of hinges etc., to other brands, you will find you can do better.  

Good luck trailer shopping, let us know what kind of trailer you get. :D

Horsey Girl
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-08-10 7:35 AM (#65544 - in reply to #65488)

New User

The Exiss Trailer I'm looking at is a 2006 Sport Model 304 w/living quarters.  I'm so confused.  I really want a nice trailer and would be furious if I got one with living quarters that leaked.  Any advice you can give me would be helpful.  Thanks.

Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2007-08-10 8:42 AM (#65547 - in reply to #65544)

Ma'am, I sell more Exiss trailers than any dealer in the nation.  The great majority of them are Sports.  There are no inherrent problems with them at all.  They were designed to capture the entry level all aluminum market, and have done so very well.  You will be hard pressed to find a better trailer for the dollar spent.  We sell them by the hundreds, and if I have an unhappy customer that owns one, I am not aware of it.  You will be fine.  If it fits, buy it.  If you depend on hear-say to make a decision, you'll be constantly confused.  Rest assured, no manufacturer would spend tens of millions of dollars to build a faulty trailer.  Would make no sense at all to do so.  I agree with a previous poster on here.  There are no "bad" brands out there.  All are very good products, whether or not I sell them.  Just find what fits and buy it.  You will not find a brand that everyone approves of.  You will not find a brand that has not produced a trailer with a problem either.  None are perfect.  If you are buying from a deaqler, I am sure they will take care of you.  If from an individual, look it over good and take it for better or worse.  Good luck!  Thanks,  DON SMITH, OWNER, DIXIE HORSE AND MULE CO.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-08-10 9:37 AM (#65549 - in reply to #65547)

Expert

Mr.Don has built his reputation on Exiss trailers among others,and wouldn't be where he is today if he sold a bunch of leaking trailers repeatedly.I think Dixie is the largest dealer of Exiss,Sooner,and Bison in the country? They don't stay in business selling junk and refusing to address problems,isn't that right?

I looked at 4Star,and found them to be a very nice,very expensive trailer that we just could not afford to pay for in the long run,and I'm not ashamed to say that in a public post.I'm not in the chinks like some other posters on the forum that can blithely say,"Go buy a 4Star" or Bloomer,Hart,Sundowner,ect.that are all good trailers granted,but more expensive than I needed to pay.And may not be what some others need to pay,either.

You can only stretch yourself so much for a trailer,truck,house,whatever,folks,then the enjoyment is wiped out every month or whenever you make your payments.And if you pay cash,well,that's good,if you can,you wouldn't be worried about it in the first place.For the money,we have a very very nice EXISS trailer that we love.This discussion about Exiss is to me like comparing whether you like Cadillacs,Hondas,Chevys,ect.It's all in what you like and want to pay for it.

nd deb
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2007-08-10 11:30 AM (#65559 - in reply to #65488)

Veteran

I really thought 4 stars were great until I recently saw one at a dealer that was mill finished and  in the horse area it had a 1 to 2 ft gash in the ceiling in the horse area not even near a vent.  It was over more so to the middle towards the butt wall.  I was like wow, I wonder how that happened.  It looked like someone just stick a knife thru the roof.  When I pushed around the aluminum around it and the rest of the roof I was like thinking it sure seemed to be quite thin.  It seemed thinner, more filmsy then my steel trailer's roof.   I was like hmmm....   I know I stated this before on here and someone had posted that a tree branch probably did that kind of damage.  That pretty scary if you go to trail rides and try to camp in some shade or have to drive in an area with trees and then you have to worry about a branch slicing your roof open.

Anyone hear of anything bad about Elites? 

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-08-10 1:02 PM (#65568 - in reply to #65488)

Expert

Friends of ours have a 4star, took it for the truck stop acid wash and it leaked big time!  Now, reason I am saying this, it was not the trailer manufacturer at fault.  The LQ conversion, after factory,  had an unsealed entry compartment under the front overhang that water blew into.  Just saying, stuff happens, but by and large most of these trailers work very well, and on occaision you might have to tweak something a bit, but that is to be expected with anything.  Good luck in your purchase!  Dang, I am just tickled not to be in a tent or stock trailer these days!
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-08-10 1:49 PM (#65574 - in reply to #65568)

Expert

AMEN,and thanks for supporting the fact that: just because it says "Exiss" on it,doesn't mean it's going to leak,or because it is a 4Star,Hart,Bloomer,ect ect,doesn't mean there are never going to be any problems with the trailer.They're all made by humans.And they're all used by humans,some harder use than others.
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-08-10 7:16 PM (#65584 - in reply to #65488)

Elite Veteran

Another reason there are more opinions on Exiss trailers than some of the other brands is that there are more of them driving on the road. This is due to excellent marketing and pricing for the market share they revolve in. It's the law of economics.... More trailers in the horse market+use =lots of opinions good and bad.

We made of list of what we wanted and purchased a trailer we felt comfortable in hauling and could afford at the time we were looking. We currently have an Elite LQ trailer, but also have had numerous other brands such as Titan, TrailsWest (still got it), and Cherokee. All were great trailers. Each trailer we purchased we progressed up based on needs and wants and availabilty of funds.

ggrimm01
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2007-08-10 7:23 PM (#65585 - in reply to #65488)

Regular

Gosh,

Opinions are like quarter horses, everybody has owned one.  Another way to look at the trailers is also like these horse clinicians.   There are good one and bad ones, and each person will get something different whether it is a trailer, horse, tack, etc....

kmt
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2007-08-11 6:31 PM (#65631 - in reply to #65488)

New User

We had a 2005 Exiss and HATED everything about it. It leaked everywhere...in the tack, under the mangers, the springs on the rear doors were sprung (should have seen that writing on the wall with that one when the trailer came with 20 extra springs that the dealer left in there accidently!).

We couldn't wait to get rid of it....

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-08-11 7:10 PM (#65634 - in reply to #65631)

Expert

Not me! Love mine.Sorry to hear about yours.Mine's great.
Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2007-08-11 7:24 PM (#65635 - in reply to #65488)

I'll say this about Exiss trailers; they have hands down the best dealers around, based on what I have observed on this site. They are not on here running down everyone else's product and they are the most helpful bunch I have ever seen when it comes to solving problems, even when the problems are not with their trailer. I think this must say something about the quality of their trailers, even though I have never owned one. There is no doubt in my mind that if you had a problem with your Exiss, you could sure get it fixed. No, I don't work for Exiss or any dealer.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-08-11 7:36 PM (#65637 - in reply to #65635)

Expert

Our Exiss dealer was and is top-notch.Every single item (and I dont mean a thing wrong with the trailer itself,nothing at all) that we've asked them to take care of (missing light cover,missing light bulb,defective DVD on the operation of the LQ ect.) they have done it,promptly and without any question.And the trailer didn't come from the factory with those missing items,either,lest somebody is ready to jump on that one.

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-08-11 7:40 PM (#65639 - in reply to #65488)

Expert

That is correct.  Had a step let go off mine, damaged when I got it,used........ called the factory and they more than compensated me for putting it back on, and I am the 2nd owner, can't beat that.  No other issues whatsoever, love the design structure and features, for what we use it for, it is doing super.  I am sure other brands are great, too,  but this one sure is doing fine!
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-08-12 10:20 AM (#65656 - in reply to #65488)

Expert

We bought our three horse event with weekender because it is an Exiss. Comparing the sport models to the event models is an apple/ orange issue; same name, different trailers.

The event Exiss can be compared to the better trailers being sold today, construction wise and feature for feature. Many of the construction details excell those of the high end trailers.

Go to congress where you can look at hundreds of trailers, and dozens of manufacturers. Look at the hardware, pull the mats and check the flooring. Poke your head underneath and check out the frame and floorjoists.

Too many people purchase the sizzle and not the steak. Most interior companies will install their components in anything that fit into their shop doors. A nice interior in a cheap trailer is a poor purchase. 

You will have a hard time finding a better trailer for the money than an Exiss

Maximizer
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-08-13 7:08 PM (#65766 - in reply to #65488)

I will have to disagree about the service Exiss and the dealer provided to me..  How many times should a person have to take there trailer back to the dealer where they purchased it to get the leaks fixed???  In my mind it should only take one.. I took it back either 5 or 6 times and per the dealer they were in touch with Exiss every time..  The leaks in the dressing room and the rear tack never got fixed..  Then comes the issue where we had a horse get his lead rope around the handle for the emergency exit and bent it at a 90 degree angle.. No big deal things happen...  Went back to the dealer and told them what happen and they ordered me a handle..  The new handle was square at the end where it mounts on..  My old one was rounded..  I told them this wouldn't work and they said thats the part Exiss said it was..  They dealer called Exiss and Exiss told them to just grind the square end off and make it rounded so it would work..  Now thats great customer service there.. "By the way, my old one wasn't ground on to make it round"..  Just rig it up, it will be all right..   I know every trailer has its problems.  Don't get me wrong.. But when the dealer and the company doesn't treat you right when it comes time to resolve the problem thats when I will bad mouth and not recommend them..  As is the case with Exiss..    Almost forgot to mention that the floor was starting to pit bad..  Never had a horse pee in the trailer..  Something my horses don't like doing..  Clean out the manure and under the mats every so often.   The floor shouldn't have been pitting in a matter of 4 years.. Not good quality!!!!!

Edited by Maximizer 2007-08-13 7:13 PM

Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2007-08-13 9:28 PM (#65776 - in reply to #65766)

CHAD, May I please have the last 5 digits of the vin?  Did you buy it new?  I will do my best to see if there is something I can do to help you.  Thanks,  DON SMITH, OWNER, DIXIE HORSE & MULE CO.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-08-13 9:42 PM (#65781 - in reply to #65776)

Expert

I think he has already traded it/sold it,and now he has a used 4Star.

I think the dealer that he mentions that was too far to go to probably would have made it right,if it was Jim's in Cuba,MO.

Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2007-08-13 9:49 PM (#65782 - in reply to #65488)

Yes!  I know Scott @ Jim's Motors personally, and know him to be an honest, decent, upright businessman.  He does take care of his customers.  THANKS!  DON SMITH
Paints
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-08-13 10:48 PM (#65787 - in reply to #65488)

Veteran

In 1999 We lookes at cheapest prices trailers Exiss.Husband looked at under carriage and said "NO WAY" too far apart on beams too weak and poor construction.SORRY Exiss has sold alot trailers too but they aren't in same class/grade as 4 Star or Sundowner.You pay more for quailty and will hold value also.The resale is on Sundowner hold their value too.We proudly own 2 and have sold 1999 Sundowner last Feb 2006 for $4000. less than what we paid New.Know alot people( saddle club) who have had Exiss but all getting rid of them or wanting to any way.Sorry JMHO....
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-08-14 12:51 AM (#65790 - in reply to #65787)

Expert

Not me.Not planning on getting rid of mine any time soon.I LOVE mine and didn't want to go to the poorhouse just to say I have a Sundowner.Glad you like yours,tho.

I just love my Exiss trailer.I'll keep repeating it until the thread is frozen.I looked at the floor and undercarriage on the one we bought which was NOT the cheapest trailer Exiss makes,by the way,and we were more than satisfied.It had a far better flooring system than the Platinum we traded it for.

Maximizer
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-08-14 7:42 PM (#65844 - in reply to #65488)

My trailer is done gone down the road to the next person.. I appreciate you trying to help.. It was great to see those trailers lights leave the drive way knowing it wasn't coming back..  The dealer where I got it went out of business and there was no place close to drive too..  So I gave up on it and purchased an older 4 Star...
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-08-14 9:08 PM (#65848 - in reply to #65844)

Expert

I bet it is a nice one.I never saw a 4Star myself that I didn't like.They really do stand out,they have their own look.

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-08-15 8:21 AM (#65881 - in reply to #65488)

Expert

I agree with the lady above, have no problems and very satisified, and don't mean to knock anyone's else's trailer by saying that...
WTW
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2007-08-16 11:13 AM (#65950 - in reply to #65488)

New User

I have two, one event 10 ft LQ and one Sport 4ft LQ we also have a cherokee and a sundowner without LQ, for the money they are great trailers, I have had good luck with both, let me tell you the event is bulit like a tank, I have a colt that will acutally try to turn himself upside down in a trailer and kicks like you cant beleive this trailer had stood up like a champ while being beat up. the cherokee on the other hand has a bent devider from this colt. the dividers in both the sport and event are solid and the quick release latch has come in handy more than once. I would purchase another one with out hesitation
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-08-16 6:11 PM (#65963 - in reply to #65950)

Expert

Lordy Mercy,I'm glad to hear it.We've got an Event.
mike and darcy
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-08-27 9:01 PM (#66598 - in reply to #65488)

Regular

We have a 2003 model Exiss CXT400. We bought it from the original owner who had always kept it under a barn. We did likewise and during it's very first rainstorm it leaked from one end to the other. While this surprised and disapointed me I called Exiss and someone there in customer service mailed me **free of charge** 6 tubes of sealant despite the fact that I was not the original owner and the trailer was out of warranty.

While I am not overly impressed with the roof design I do love the design of the divider latches. These are by far the best that I have ever seen or used. The spacing of rivits is close, the thinkness of metal is good, the overall quality of finish and workmanship is high.

As a building contractor who has roofed 1000's of houses and buildings over the years I just understand that having a long seam on top of a flat roof is a bad design.  

respectfully submitted:

Mike and Darcy in south Georgia

Now I have to decide if I want to spend the time and money building a living quarters into a trailer, I do not have faith that the roof will mantain it's interigity.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-08-27 9:12 PM (#66599 - in reply to #66598)

Expert

We took  our 2006 Event to the man in our town that works on all types of RV's including trailers.We were having a MAXX Air vent fan installed in the bathroom.

He was walking all over the top,of course,while installing it.He told us that it was one of the best roofs he'd ever seen,it was solid,and not flimsy.Personally I don't see how they avoid ANY leaks in the things,as many holes as there are in the roofs  for A/C,skylights,vents,ect.Ours hasn't leaked yet,knock on wood.I think any trailer has a leak potential over time because the calking dries out.