e-bay and no reserve prices on trailers
badweather
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2007-08-04 9:58 PM (#65137)
Subject: e-bay and no reserve prices on trailers

Regular

Have you ever wondered how people manage to have high dollar horse trailers on ebay with no reserve and start them out at a really low price. Well, this is the way its done by most. They just have a friend who has a computer to run up the bid . If the high bid is say 10k with a couple of minutes left, the friend just bumps it up higher. That way, the owner keeps the trailer. Ebay doesn't know. Its illegal but they do it all the time. You know the saying, if its sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-08-04 11:05 PM (#65143 - in reply to #65137)
Subject: RE: e-bay and no reserve prices on trailers

Expert

They also take the risk of being the high bidder and having to pay Ebay the house cut.

My strategy is to place my highest bid once very late in the auction.  If someone else wants it more, let them pay it.

... Auctions are strange affairs... the winner pays the most

whoaboy
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-08-05 6:57 AM (#65150 - in reply to #65137)

Regular

You are right on with your "theory" of getting friends to do this. Cheaper to lose any posting fee, listing fees or whatever than lose your mechandise too cheap. I know a person that does this too.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-08-05 7:46 AM (#65152 - in reply to #65137)

Expert

Of course, assuming the listing is real and not a scam, this violates Ebay rules. But my guess is its a scam.............
bowhunter70
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-08-05 12:22 PM (#65180 - in reply to #65137)

If they do it this way then it has to go thru as a sold item and Ebay gets a cut,I don't think many do it like this.It gets to costly and after a while Ebay will see the same guy buying.I think it is some new people to Ebay that really don't understand  how a reserve works and end up selling their item way below because of it,They have to honor it  right?Alot easier to put a reserve on it and be done.Also starting at a lower point gets more bids and attracts more interest.Its a good idea

badweather
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2007-08-05 1:03 PM (#65183 - in reply to #65137)

Regular

I have watched certain items be sold more than once. Its harder to check on the bidders with high ticket items. They have a "number" instead of the username. There are lots of times where the bidder didn't pay up. Then they relist, still have to pay the fees probably. If you don't pay, there are no "ebay police". Y
bowhunter70
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-08-05 4:29 PM (#65197 - in reply to #65137)

These sold items that are relisted are they new or used Trailers,If used then I think your right it sounds a little fishy
badweather
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2007-08-05 9:48 PM (#65212 - in reply to #65137)

Regular

Its used trailers. Sold by individuals. You used to could of looked at the username in the bid history but they don't give the names now, just bidder 1, bidder 2 etc. Be careful what you bid on. I won a hat and never got it. Was nothing anyone could do, when you looked up the seller ebay said "no longer a registered user". I'm sure she got got another user name and started again.
whoaboy
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-08-06 7:00 AM (#65222 - in reply to #65137)

Regular

Some scammers are able to hijack another stellar ebay sellers id and list it under their name, so you can't even go by the sellers info!  The best thing is to contact the seller thru ebay and ask some questions. That way if it is not them, they find out that somebody listed something under their name. The scammers usually want you to contact them thru an email address, not thru ebay which is your first "clue" that it is a scam. I have turned in a few scammers selling Featherlite trailers for rediculously low prices.
Covert Cowboy
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-08-06 9:23 AM (#65226 - in reply to #65137)

Regular

eBay has become a very large influence in the auto sales industry, but it has not got to that point in the horse trailer industry yet. Most of the listings are scams.

I've been on eBay since 2002 and feel that I know a bit about how it works. Before I decided to try and sell a horse trailer on there I contacted a few auto dealers to see how eBay effected their business. All of them had nothing but great things to say and highly recommended it.

But when I listed some horse trailers on there (actual legitimate auctions) they received 0 bids. So I was out $50 a listing. My listings were very attractively priced but when there are $5000 brand new Featherlites on there (scams, of course) who is going to look at real trailers?

I guess the moral of my story is that eBay is not a good place for horse trailers yet. Maybe in the future when eBay can control the scammers... but right now, no way.

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-08-06 11:48 AM (#65239 - in reply to #65137)

Expert

I have bought 2 trailers on E-bay, one of them was thru a dealer. The reserve wasn't met but we were able to agree on a price. I actually bought the trailer for less than I had bid, but nobody was bidding against me so the dealer didn't know what my high bid was. As far as the no reserve, I have been selling things on E-bay since 2001 and never have listed anything with a reserve, my brother bids stuff up to my asking price then lets it go, if it don't bring what I want I am just out the listing fee. I WILL NOT bid on anything that has a high starting bid, you know the Item that is worth $1,000 and opening bid is $999, but then they brag about the auction being "No Reserve", I wonder what kind of crack they are smoking.
mike and darcy
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-08-28 8:15 AM (#66617 - in reply to #65137)

Regular

I have been a member of eBay since 1997. It is a good place to buy, sell, or get a true value on anything.

You just have to use common sense. If it is a high dollar item do not buy it if you can not drive and pick it up or fly and drive it home.

For the lady who paid $50 for a listing, you must have been in the ebay motors section or made your listing a featured listing. If you place your horse trailer in the equine section under trailers then a listing is afforadable, also about once a month eBay has a ten cents listing day. Thats right .10 to list and you only pay final value fees if your item sells.

I have bought 2 horse trailers off of eBay in the past 4 years. The first was a 3 years old featherlight all alum, black and silver 3 horse slant GN with rear ramp, deluxe back doors, & hay loft for $8,000. I did not even have a gooseneck in my truck at the time. I drove 200 miles, made a deal on the trailer before the auction was over, he followed me home with the trailer, I paid him in CASH and he signed the title over to me. I ran an ad in the local shopper and sold this trailer for 12,800 the next week to a lady who wanted to have a motorcycle hauler and camper trailer. She even let me keep the saddle rack and it is in our barn now.

If you see a trailer that you like just email the seller and ask for his phone number, if it is legit he will be more than willing to talk to someone who is serious. eBay is full of players who bid and never intend to buy so when someone is intrested enought to call and not bother me with emails I always treat them like a buyer.

There are honestly a lot of nice trailers out there that are being sold for legit reasons, just look for them.

MIke

Yvette
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-08-28 2:56 PM (#66652 - in reply to #65137)

Extreme Veteran

There are several possible reasons. Scammers of course, but they usually leave other clues, such as buy it now statements, but the auction itself itsn't set up for buy it now. And contact me through this email, not my ebay email, BIG RED FLAG, run away, run away.

Another reason, the starting price is close enough to the actual value of the trailer,the lister doesn't want to mess around or get the 'what is the reserve price' emails. At least you know if you are bidding on it, you don't have to worry about hitting the reserve.

Another is usually in the description somewhere that 'trailer may be sold locally before the auction is over. In which case they can decide (I think they have to do this 24 hours before the auction is over) to end the auction early and not sell it on ebay. Of course, when they do this they can not relist the item. Um,you said you sold it locally. Also, so many people like to bid at the last minute, they just may have gotten what they had wanted for it if they had waited. Though risky, as they might have to sell it for less then they wanted if people don't get into a last minute bidding frenzy.

Another reason, don't want it, lost their place to store it and just want to get rid of it. Especially with older, rustier trailers.

mike and darcy
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-08-28 8:59 PM (#66668 - in reply to #65137)

Regular

EVERYONE, if you are intrested in selling your trailer, eBay is having free listing days all this comming month. Do not list it in the eBay motors section, list it under the equine section. FREE, FREE, FREE. If your trailer sells you will pay eBay roughly a 3 & 1/2% final value fee.  If you have any unwanted tack around it will be a good time to clean out the barn.

I convert ez-go golf carts into farm utility vehicals so I will be listing these this month.

Also if you are in the market to buy take a look as lisings are always up during these nee fee days. There should be a lot of good horse stuff selling this month.

http://sporting-goods.listings.ebay.com/Equestrian_W0QQfclZ1QQlotrZ3QQsacatZ3153QQsocmdZListingItemList

Have fun:

Mike

happyrider929
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2007-08-29 12:06 AM (#66689 - in reply to #65239)

Regular

Originally written by HWBar on 2007-08-06 11:48 AM

As far as the no reserve, I have been selling things on E-bay since 2001 and never have listed anything with a reserve, my brother bids stuff up to my asking price then lets it go, if it don't bring what I want I am just out the listing fee.
This is illegal!
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-08-29 5:17 AM (#66692 - in reply to #66689)

Expert

Originally written by happyrider929 on 2007-08-29 12:06 AM

Originally written by HWBar on 2007-08-06 11:48 AM

As far as the no reserve, I have been selling things on E-bay since 2001 and never have listed anything with a reserve, my brother bids stuff up to my asking price then lets it go, if it don't bring what I want I am just out the listing fee.
This is illegal!

OOOOOPS!