Blue Book for trailers?
criquett
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2007-07-21 9:31 AM (#64194)
Subject: Blue Book for trailers?

I realize there really isn't a "blue book" for horse trailers. What I'm wondering is how does one determine a price for a used trailer is fair? I've used this site to look for similar trailers & check out the prices, but it only shows what they are priced at, not what they are selling at. I have also noticed that location of trailer varies the price ALOT. It seems like used trailers hold their value rather well(if in good repair). How does one determine at what point the prices starts to decrease from the "new purchase" price? Does it go down by a certain %(i.e. 2/3 of new price) right away, but then hold the same value for years(how many?) after before decreasing in price again? This is all assuming said trailer is in good/solid condition thru the life of the trailer. I really appreciate any input or pointers you all may have. Thanks!!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
cutter4life
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-07-21 10:32 AM (#64196 - in reply to #64194)
Subject: RE: Blue Book for trailers?

Regular

My experience has been that a well kept aluminum trailer well hold its value well if kept in good condition and if it is a name brand that is nationally recognized. This would be within 3-5 years of new purchase. You do not see a significant drop in price in these trailers until they are approaching 10+ years of age. To give a real life example, I purchased a new Cherokee 3H Invasion in 2002 ($14,500), I used it for five years and it was in very good condition and I sold it for $11,850 for an 18% loss. I do believe had this been a better known brand that I could have sold it closer to $12,500.

The steel trailers in my experience seem to decline faster in value and then reach a plateu where they hold a decent value. Again they need to be a well recognized name brand. Here is another example, my mom had an 1988 Classic two horse straight load trailer that was bought new for $4,850 and she sold it in 2001 for $1,850 a 61% decline in value, but the trailer was 13 years old! It was in fair condition with some rust.

My experience buying used is that you can find a lot of used trailers in Oklahoma and Texas at a fraction of the price you see out here in California. Most are in good condition, but have seen quite a few road miles so need a little TLC (brakes, bearings, tires) but even so, they are usually priced more competitively than those out here.

Hope this was somewhat helpful.

criquett
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2007-07-21 8:56 PM (#64206 - in reply to #64194)

So by going on what you stated, if there's a "good" name brand trailer, a steel frame w/ alum. skin or solid alum. If it's priced at $12,000(for example) new, at 10 years old it should value around 1/2 the purchase price? I realize the exact condition of said trailer would add/decrease the value. For the sake of this thread, lets assume it's in good to very good, solid condition. I've been looking at used trailers in the midwest/great lakes area. The prices definately seem to vary quite a lot. Just trying to get a good idea of what's possibly a good deal or what to run away from.

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-07-21 9:45 PM (#64207 - in reply to #64206)

Expert

If you look on this site for the trailer you are looking at and see how it compairs to the ad this will give you a ballpark price for the trailer just my  thinking
criquett
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2007-07-21 10:14 PM (#64210 - in reply to #64194)

Yep I've done that. Only there aren't any the same & only a few that are similar around the same year/age. Plenty new(er) ones to find, that's why the questions about value, depreciation, & such. Thanks
SaraRides
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-07-26 9:46 AM (#64439 - in reply to #64210)

New User

I would call a few dealers and get their opinions on the trailer you're looking at.

There is a rule of thumb for newer trailers....15% depreciation first year...5-10% thereafter...but there does become a point in time where that doesn't work anymore. A Sundowner won't depreciate as quickly as some of the lesser known brands, or more cheaply built trailers. Research will prove this.

Hope this helps...

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-07-26 9:30 PM (#64463 - in reply to #64194)

Expert

Originally written by criquett on 2007-07-21 10:31 AM

I realize there really isn't a "blue book" for horse trailers. What I'm wondering is how does one determine a price for a used trailer is fair? I've used this site to look for similar trailers & check out the prices, but it only shows what they are priced at, not what they are selling at. I have also noticed that location of trailer varies the price ALOT. It seems like used trailers hold their value rather well(if in good repair). How does one determine at what point the prices starts to decrease from the "new purchase" price? Does it go down by a certain %(i.e. 2/3 of new price) right away, but then hold the same value for years(how many?) after before decreasing in price again? This is all assuming said trailer is in good/solid condition thru the life of the trailer. I really appreciate any input or pointers you all may have. Thanks!!

A trailer is worth what someone is willing to pay for it...

In your case, if you are a buyer...don't be in a rush...Unfortunately buying a trailer during the show season will add $$$ to the price...Best time to buy is in the winter...

Edited by PaulChristenson 2007-07-26 9:34 PM